Can Any Two Things Be Identical???

Fido

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:41 am
@SammDickens,
Samm phil wrote:

Hi, Miller! Guess you know my mosquito & fly response was a joke. They all identical in being the spawn of hell! Very Happy

Samm

P.S. Do you know how I can get this "phil" thing off my name?

You are more right than wrong, joking or not... Mosquito and Fly are both identities... No identity, no identical, and then we are forced to abandon all knowledge and accept every phenomonon as new, and unique; which morally, has its advantages, but is physically speaking: riduculous...
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:32 am
You canno step into the same river twice, thus;no two things are equal
thack45

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:37 am
@DrDick,
DrDick wrote:

If restricted to the parameters mentioned earlier, then space/time is a limiting factor that does not allow two items to ever be 100% identical, because two physical items cannot occupy the same space at the same time.
Agreed. This is just good physics - specificly, the Uncertainty Principle.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:43 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Everyone,
Can you think of any two things that are identical to one another in every way?
This is an ongoing research question, and all your answers will be gratefully received.
Thank you.
Mark...

As I have been pointing out, the question is ambiguous because the word, "identical" is ambiguous. One meaning of "identical" is: numerically identical. For X and Y to be numerically identical (or "one and the same") then X=Y. So, in this sense of "identical" (numerically identical) if X and Y are numerically identical, then X and Y are one and the same thing. And there are not two things but only one thing. The second meaning of "identical" is qualitatively identical. X and Y are qualitatively identical if and only if X and Y have exactly the same properties. That is, every property of X is a property of Y, and every property of Y is a property of X. In this sense of "identical", qualitatively identical, it is possible for two things to be identical. So, the answer, and the only answer to your question is, it depends on what is meant by "identical". If by "identical" is meant numerically identical, then the answer is, no. But if by "identical" is meant qualitatively identical, then the answer to your question is yes. The above is the only possible answer to your question, and the answer is, no, if you mean numercial identity, but yes if you mean qualitative identity. And that is the entire story.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:46 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:

But you can step into the same river twice, or even 200 times (depending on how much you mind wet feet). Although what that would have to do with the question, I have no idea.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:48 am
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

DrDick wrote:

If restricted to the parameters mentioned earlier, then space/time is a limiting factor that does not allow two items to ever be 100% identical, because two physical items cannot occupy the same space at the same time.
Agreed. This is just good physics - specificly, the Uncertainty Principle.

That would depend on whether space and time are real properties. And good physics (i.e. Relativity physics) implies that space and time are not real properties.
thack45

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 06:37 am
@kennethamy,
Are you saying that the uncertainty principle is not good physics?
0 Replies

ACB

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 07:20 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
X and Y are qualitatively identical if and only if X and Y have exactly the same properties. That is, every property of X is a property of Y, and every property of Y is a property of X.

Do the properties of X and Y include their location?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 07:48 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:

True enough, but because everyone else is confusing identity with equality is no reason for you to do so... And How you been Al???
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:00 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

mark noble wrote:

Hi Everyone,
This is an ongoing research question, and all your answers will be gratefully received.
Thank you.
Mark...

As I have been pointing out, the question is ambiguous because the word, "identical" is ambiguous. One meaning of "identical" is: numerically identical. For X and Y to be numerically identical (or "one and the same") then X=Y. So, in this sense of "identical" (numerically identical) if X and Y are numerically identical, then X and Y are one and the same thing. And there are not two things but only one thing. The second meaning of "identical" is qualitatively identical. X and Y are qualitatively identical if and only if X and Y have exactly the same properties. That is, every property of X is a property of Y, and every property of Y is a property of X. In this sense of "identical", qualitatively identical, it is possible for two things to be identical. So, the answer, and the only answer to your question is, it depends on what is meant by "identical". If by "identical" is meant numerically identical, then the answer is, no. But if by "identical" is meant qualitatively identical, then the answer to your question is yes. The above is the only possible answer to your question, and the answer is, no, if you mean numercial identity, but yes if you mean qualitative identity. And that is the entire story.

From the point of view of philosophy, Identity only has one meaning, which is the Principal of Identity, known in physics as Conservation, that referes to the conseverd quality of every concept... It is not an equality, but rather of means of making meaningful comparisons... We do not compare apples and oranges...
Fido

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:09 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Alan McDougall wrote:

But you can step into the same river twice, or even 200 times (depending on how much you mind wet feet). Although what that would have to do with the question, I have no idea.

This is incorrect... Phenomenally, we are changed as much by our experience of the river as the river is changed by time... Identity does not question whether a river is equal to itself, but instead, asks if a river is a river, because before, during, and after, that river will remain a river, since that identity is conserved...
If you cut a line in half, or double its size it is still a line... The operations one performs on it will not change its identity...A cat will be a cat if it loses a leg, or a tail... The changes become meaningful in comparison with others of the same identity.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:27 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

mark noble wrote:

Hi Everyone,
Thank you.
Mark...

From the point of view of philosophy, Identity only has one meaning, which is the Principal of Identity, known in physics as Conservation, that referes to the conseverd quality of every concept... It is not an equality, but rather of means of making meaningful comparisons... We do not compare apples and oranges...

I don't know what you mean by "from the point of view of philosophy". Philosophy has no point of view because philosophy explores many points of views, and tries to discover which (if any) is the correct one. Leibniz's Principle of Identity which is that of numerical identity (and which is the one discussed in logic) tells us that X and Y are (numerically) identical if, every property of X is a property of Y, and every property of Y is a property of X. That is, if X and Y have the same properties then X and Y are (numerically identical). End of story.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/identity-indiscernible/
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:34 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Alan McDougall wrote:

This is incorrect... Phenomenally, we are changed as much by our experience of the river as the river is changed by time... Identity does not question whether a river is equal to itself, but instead, asks if a river is a river, because before, during, and after, that river will remain a river, since that identity is conserved...
If you cut a line in half, or double its size it is still a line... The operations one performs on it will not change its identity...A cat will be a cat if it loses a leg, or a tail... The changes become meaningful in comparison with others of the same identity.

I can step into the Nile River at Alexandria in the north, and then sail down river, get out of my boat, and then step into the Nile at Cairo. When I have done that, I have twice stepped into the Nile. However, I will not, of course, have stepped into the same water twice. But the river and the water that flows through the river, are not identical. Therefore, although I cannot step into the same water twice, that does not mean I cannot step into the same river twice. Those who believe that because I cannot step into the same water twice, I cannot step into the same river twice, are confusing the water in the river with the river itself.
mark noble

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 09:04 am
@kennethamy,
Hi Ken,
A river ceases to be a river if it has nothing in it. And stepping into the Nile on two different occassions constitutes - seperation - which only tends to support the argument that "no two things are identical". And, it is unwise to do so (step into the Nile) unless you "The stepper" are absolutely positive there are no crocodiles nearby.
Best wishes Ken.
Mark...
Fido

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:19 am
@kennethamy,
I am certain there is something transendental you do not get about the river thing...
Arjuna

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:53 am
Hi all! I'm in a 'read five books at once' mode these days. One is: Identity, Personal Identity, and the Self by John Perry. KA, I thought about you while I was reading it... wondered if you already read it. If so, comments? If not, good wishes!
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:16 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

I am certain there is something transendental you do not get about the river thing...

And that is?
kennethamy

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:25 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Ken,
A river ceases to be a river if it has nothing in it. And stepping into the Nile on two different occassions constitutes - seperation - which only tends to support the argument that "no two things are identical". And, it is unwise to do so (step into the Nile) unless you "The stepper" are absolutely positive there are no crocodiles nearby.
Best wishes Ken.
Mark...

A river without water is a dried up river. The river is a geographical entity that can be located. It is essentially identical with the river-bed. The water in a river is constantly changing, but the river, the geographical entity, which is shown on a map, remains the same even while the water that flows through it changes. Of course, the river-bed itself my suffer erosion, or even shift. But that is a different matter, and certainly not what Heraclitus meant. The truth just is that Heraclitus was confusing the river with the water that flowed through the river-bed. Why not simply acknowledge that? Whather what Heraclitus was trying to express, namely that everything changes, and that there is no permanence (whatever that comes to) is true, is another kettle of fish. (Although if that means that nothing persists through change, I think that is obviously false). But if that was what Heraclitus was trying to express he use a lousy example to express it, whether or not what he was trying to express was true.
mark noble

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:41 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

mark noble wrote:

Hi Ken,
Best wishes Ken.
Mark...

A river without water is a dried up river. The river is a geographical entity that can be located. It is essentially identical with the river-bed. The water in a river is constantly changing, but the river, the geographical entity, which is shown on a map, remains the same even while the water that flows through it changes. Of course, the river-bed itself my suffer erosion, or even shift. But that is a different matter, and certainly not what Heraclitus meant. The truth just is that Heraclitus was confusing the river with the water that flowed through the river-bed. Why not simply acknowledge that? Whather what Heraclitus was trying to express, namely that everything changes, and that there is no permanence (whatever that comes to) is true, is another kettle of fish. (Although if that means that nothing persists through change, I think that is obviously false). But if that was what Heraclitus was trying to express he use a lousy example to express it, whether or not what he was trying to express was true.

Herclitus is dead, if he wasn't he may well change his mind after reading this. Why was he (IYO) so obsessed with rivers anyway?

Best wishes Ken.
Mark...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:04 pm
Obviously there was nothing wrong with Heraclitus perspective...Rivers like everything else gain and lose property´s all the time even if we cannot exactly see how or where that change is happening and that is in fact the end of the story...if X has the same property´s of Y then Y would fairly be called X...(this includes causal chains and spatial and temporal locations of course, how else would they have the same property´s ?...)
0 Replies