Can Any Two Things Be Identical???

north

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 06:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

What do you see when you make yourself into a star?

cosmic plasma !!
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 02:50 am
@north,
It cetainly does not imply it, it PROVES it.

Both objects have diferent forces and relative criteria acting upon them, ergo - Their characteristics are variable acording to such.

Thank you!
Mark...
0 Replies

quirkology

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 07:16 pm
@mark noble,
How do you define identical? Dolly the sheep was cloned. But electrons (in their particle concept rather than wave) around Dolly's atoms may be in different positions to those in the original sheep. Does this stop the two sheep being identical?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 07:19 pm
@quirkology,
...I guess Mark meant, and rightfully so, parallel universe, same conditions, same electrons, same protons, same relational neighbourhood identical, that is...
0 Replies

G H

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 01:05 pm
@mark noble,
Quote:
Can you think of any two things that are identical to one another in every way? This is an ongoing research question, and all your answers will be gratefully received.

Probably not in the "real world" -- only in the invention of the conceptual, abstract, or formal description one. Configuration-wise, I'm not identical at all levels from one second to the next. Atoms of the same element type even have virtual particles (usually unmentioned in basic canon) fizzing "randomly" within the interior structure of each -- that is, not just the binding gluons of quarks composing an atom's baryons. Since they're in the same quantum state, one might make a case for the particles of a BEC being identical, but I suspect that doesn't completely equate to what's intended.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 02:10 pm
I don't care if items are identical in essence; that is a vacuous metaphysical issue. All that matters, it seems, is that some "things" are pragmatic or functional equivalencies, or formal identities as in the case of "identical" colors in a work of art.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 04:00 pm
@JLNobody,
Oh, can any "object" (or thing) be identical to itself at different points in time? If all objects are really processes they are always different at different points in time. And, of course, this comment is laden with all kinds of assumptions regarding the nature of time.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 04:22 pm
@JLNobody,
I would think that the solid state chips now used in so many of the high tech equipment is probably as close to being identical as anything we can imagine.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 04:52 pm
@JLNobody,
I think that it is possible in quantum physics for particles to be separated and still act as one. I don't remember what it's called, but changes to one also affects the other, almost as if there is a maintained relationship via "the past".
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 05:49 pm

one cubic meter of water is identical with another cubic meter of water
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 06:00 pm
@north,
No. Mine might be purer than yours. Yours may be fresh water, mine could be salt. What if I froze my cubic metre, and you turned yours into vapor?
north

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 06:08 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

No. Mine might be purer than yours. Yours may be fresh water, mine could be salt. What if I froze my cubic metre, and you turned yours into vapor?

hmmm.. then one cubic meter of fresh water
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 06:22 pm
@north,
The chemical makeup could be different.
north

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 06:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The chemical makeup could be different.

could be but their not though
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 06:36 pm
@north,
Quote:

You see where this is going, dont you? I'll remark on another difference and you will specify further how they are identical, and this can potentially go on forever, because as long as there is basis for you to distinguish one object from another they are not identical.
north

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 06:56 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:

You see where this is going, dont you? I'll remark on another difference and you will specify further how they are identical, and this can potentially go on forever, because as long as there is basis for you to distinguish one object from another they are not identical.

true

unless both cubics are subject to the same enviroment
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 03:40 am
@north,
As long as you can distinguish one from the other as two bodies of water, they are not identical.
0 Replies

TheEnlightenedOne

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 02:44 pm
@mark noble,
There are no 2 things. There is the One thing, that which cannot be fully described with words but holds all forms which are interconnected to each other by the glue of the universe, Space.
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 02:54 pm
@TheEnlightenedOne,
I see how this is true on a certain conceptual level, but that doesn't mean we can disregard our everyday conceptual level on which things are separate. The understanding of how everything is fundamentally one is of great value to me, but in day to day life it serves me well to be able to distinguish between different objects in my perception.
TheEnlightenedOne

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 03:11 pm
@Cyracuz,
All things are interconnected. It is like calling a wave separate from the ocean. Its all a body of water, which was formed by elements from the big bang that created novas, super novas, stars, black holes, cosmic dust, earth, the primordial soup, you and me.