Note to philosophyforum.com people going to philosophyforums.com

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 10:59 pm
I try to post at "philosophyforums.com". I don` t recommend it. The moderators there have way to much pride. If you disagree with them, they insult you. If you tell them not to insult you, they delete your post. What is the evidence? The moderator 'Wolfman' in http://forums.philosophyforums.com/threads/if-you-found-a-lost-item-do-you-keep-it-41443.html is an A-hole. I am the 'quantum' guy.
Any other nice philosophy forums without the crazy moderators?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 6,000 • Replies: 61

jeeprs

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:11 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
I have been posting there since before I started at Philforum. I never had a problem although I find the atmosphere very colourless - don't like their software.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:33 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
I was kicked off there once for railing against a moderator and his misrepresentation of one of Plato's arguments in The Sophist. I have studied that particular dialogue front and back--although now it would take an extensive reread to remember most of it--but that staff member would not give it up, had me banned and deleted every single one of my hundred or so contributing posts.

Personally, I could not think of a worse place than "philosophyforums.com. If you plan to leave here for there, I am sure we will see you back in due time.

Well, this place does not seem to have crazy moderators--or maybe they are crazy for giving a bunch of power to the general population of the forums.
Zetherin

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:38 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

This may sound crazy, but what about just staying here?
jeeprs

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:48 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
I went and read that thread. I didn't think that the moderator was insulting you. Perhaps you have difficulty taking criticism.
Victor Eremita

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:49 pm
@Zetherin,
It does sound crazy.................................... but I like it

I was at philosophyforums.com for a few months before going to philosophyforum.com; I had no run ins with the moderators, but that place seems so stolid. Maybe it's due the colourlessness as jeeprs said lol

Or maybe it's cuz of the myriad things philosophyforum allowed you to do. I can't imagine "Fans of Canada" being over there lol
Theaetetus

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:58 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

I agree with this totally Zeth. While everyone can find somewhere else to fill the hole (or maybe whole) of the old place can try to find somewhere else to go, but the fact is, this is the home of what made the old site so excellent--the content.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:59 pm
@Victor Eremita,
I can imaging a "fans of Canada" here though. In fact, not much is stopping it now, and then when groups are added, there will be more fans of Canada stuff.
Victor Eremita

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:13 am
@Theaetetus,
Well, a2k is a general topic forum, so there are forums dedicated to Canada here. But what was novel about the old philosophyforum was that it was a specialized forum dabbling in general topics lol

Philosophyforums.com still keeps to the basics, aside from one general discussion forum which we have also!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:16 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

We'd love it if you did. At least long enough to really suss out the place. (Do Usians say "suss"? Is TE an Usian?)

I am kind of a fan of Canada!
0 Replies

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:56 am
@Theaetetus,
That is the problem! You should not be ban just because you disagree with the moderator. I give up on that forum in just one day.
0 Replies

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:02 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

I went and read that thread. I didn't think that the moderator was insulting you. Perhaps you have difficulty taking criticism.

If you go to page 2 of that thread, then you will see it. I told the moderator his answer did not address my question. He said I miss read him. He then told me I ought to go to a different forum, because I have low reading comprehension. What an A-hole.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:13 am
I am going to try this forum for a mouth. If I don` t like it, I will start doing blogs.
jeeprs

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:48 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Quote:
I am going to try this forum for a mouth.

If that's a freudian slip, it's a beauty. Very Happy
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 06:21 am
TuringEquivalent wrote:

I try to post at "philosophyforums.com". I don` t recommend it.

Thanks for the head's-up. I registered there and have jumped into one or two threads. It seems (as someone else put it) rather bland and uninviting. I may stick with it - not sure at the moment. But from what I've read here I don't think I'll be staying. Deleting posts and editing user's material (aside from blatant obscenities, hate speech, etc.) is just unforgivable.

Zetherin wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

This is actually seeming to become a little more welcoming an option for me. The people here are obviously making a heroic effort to try and bring us hijackees into the fold and that speaks well to the quality of their character. If I can get passed the martha-stewart colors and helter skelter setup I may make this my home indeed.

To me its a bigger deal than I thought. I realized (rather abruptly when PF went bye-bye) that the investment of time and effort was really substantial. My time is *extremely* important to me and I'm not one to slap a one-liner and hit "Reply" much - far too superficial and typical of what's wrong in our society (read: lack of depth). So as I dable in these other places, I'm trying to keep an open mind. As far as A2K goes; I'm gonna hang around, for the familiar faces and names I've known for so long, of no other reason

TuringEquivalent wrote:

I am going to try this forum for a mouth.

Precious!

And if you all haven't tried it, you might wanna check out http://www.philosophychatforum.com. We can't find a place like our last home - it's gone for good. But if you're looking for something with the same "thinkers are welcome here"-feeling, this is a good candidate.

Thanks
HexHammer

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 06:44 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Fortunaly I'm a boheme, so I don't move around, guess I saved myself a great headache.
0 Replies

William

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 07:54 am
Dear Robert,

What you did is typical. You purchase a little good thing and are incorporating into a bigger thing you own to satisfy your notion that size matters with you sitting atop your pyramid. Size doesn't matter my friend if content is lost. Content emanates from a little thing getting better if what is contain is a good thing.

I would suggest here, if the philforum is still intact, somewhere, to reverse your course of action and bring what you have here, to there. Justin created a good thing, he just lost control is all. John is an excellent administrator and very suited for his position there. All inquiries that are made here could have been made in that forum as well. It was perfecting slowly but surely.

I agree moderators are not needed if conduct is controlled by use of the alert feature we had there. That domain was leveling out and civilized communication was becoming apparent to all who wished to become a member there. Any trolling was standing out like a rag wrapped sore thumb in a checker game. Ha! They were going as quickly as they arrived and it seems the one most guilty of that was gone about the same time this merging took place.

If the philforum is not intact and is so destroyed, then this ship will be asea sailing for another port. Perhaps I may stay here, but that will depend on how much of what we had there is incorporated with what you have here.

william
Twirlip

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:16 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

Look at Wolfman's post #15:
Quote:
You must have selective reading then, because you only highlighted in bold the part of my post that wasn't addressing your question. This is what I said:
Quote:
Generally speaking, no, I would not. I think good faith is, at least in part, constitutive of a virtuous person. It is a virtue of reciprocity that sets our relationships right with others, and preserves between people a degree of truthfulness and authenticity, which is conducive to our flourishing.

Presumably, you're a big kid. I shouldn't have to draw you a diagram.

The first sentence of this post is a criticism. The second sentence is factual, drawing attention to what he had written, which he was criticising Quantum for allegedly not having read carefully. The third and fourth sentences are insults. I think these were the first insults in the thread.
mark noble

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:18 am
Hi All,
A proportion of us have already joined philosophychatforum, It is a good place to address issues in a more disciplined fashion. Don't leave this site though, please - The rest of us need your authorative input. Just go there for the main course, and rejoin us here for the dessert.
I'm staying here and visiting there. I like it here, took a while to make that decision, but, once made..................End of.

Thank you guys, And...........(you know the rest).
Mark...
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:29 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

That was my take on it, too. You guys were at cross purposes and I thought he was actually very rational about it all.
0 Replies