My computer keeps freezing on a daily bases help!!!?

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:24 pm
Hi, I been using my computer(windows XP laptop) for 3 years now and the problem of it freezing randomly on a daily bases had been going on since last week.
The problem is that my compter will freeze randomly all of a sudden no matter what I am doing on it, sometimes it will freeze even if I am not doing a thing. When it freezes, I can still move my mouse crusor but I can't click anything except for the start button and I have to keep rebooting it.
What do you think it's wrong with it and how can I fix this problem? I already did a full virus scan and system check, it didn't find anything wrong. I deleted a bunch of programs that I barely use to see if it will run smoother but it's still freezing.
Please help computer experts!!
Thanks in advance Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,836 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Xenoche

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:28 pm
@fuyu1993,
Hi fuyu,
Down to the nitty'gritty,
Do you regularly defragment your hard drive?
0 Replies

Xenoche

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:42 pm
Ok, firstly, defragmenting (defraging) is a process which effectivly tidies your hard drive.
If a hard drive isnt 'tidied' often (I defrag once a month), it can get cluttered much like a messy room, it makes tasks slower and more difficult to do.

To defrag, right click your hard drive from within 'my computer' and select 'properties'. Under the tools tab click 'defragment'.

Defraging can take up to an hour if its really messy and, if you havent done it in a while, you should notice a dramatic increase in computer speed and hopefully your crashing problem stops.

Good luck.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:49 pm
@fuyu1993,
Just because you ran an antivirus program doesn't mean it is a bit of spyware or malware. Do you have an alternative spyware detection program?

Also, you should boot up into safe mood and run msconfig to see what programs start to run when you turn on the computer. Turn off the programs you don't want to start when the computer boots up. Perhaps one of these programs have a glitch or a bug in them. I used to use the BOINC program so I could run the SETI@home program at home. Then several months ago, my computer started to crash minutes after I booted my laptop. When I ran msconfig I then turned off BOINC from turning on at startup.

From then on, my computer hasn't crashed. Sadly, I had to delete the program and even when I redownloaded it, I had the same crashing problem so I guess I can't run it on this computer anymore (or until I can figure where's the conflict between my Dell, Vista, and BOINC).

It could also be a problem/glitch in your registry. Something like the latest version of Registry Mechanic or perhaps iolo System Mechanic. Registry Mechanic strictly focuses on the registry while System Mechanic is an all around diagnostic and maintenance based program.
0 Replies