Philforum and A2K: On each side of the ballroom.....

failures art

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:45 pm
@Dosed,
Where in the Midwest are you from?

A
R
T
roger

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:59 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

If you post by hitting "Reply to All," you can look at other posts in the thread by hitting the "Read Discussion" tab at the top of the reply window.

That's nice to know. Better late than never.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:00 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

If you post by hitting "Reply to All," you can look at other posts in the thread by hitting the "Read Discussion" tab at the top of the reply window.

That's nice to know. Better late than never.

Didn't know that either. Keep in mind that it doesn't save the content of your post if you've already entered text into the box when doing this!

Cycloptichorn
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,

yeah, ctrl-C would be in order to save the draft...

R(didn't know that either)P
Dosed

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:06 pm
@failures art,
Southern Indiana. In the Louisville area.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:22 pm
@Region Philbis,
Hello -- seems I've been doing a lotta welcoming lately. But more is good.

I am jespah (or jes or jespie). I am also married to Region Philbis who posted a lil above me on this page.

I am the Project Manager for this site. I live in the Brighton section of Boston and work doing Social Media and PR for a startup robotics firm, plus I'm a freelance writer, when I'm not doing A2K stuff.

We know this is not an easy transition for you. But, as they say, give it a chance. You may be pleasantly surprised. We certainly hope you will be.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:26 pm
I'm an early a2k member with a zillion posts, and a lot of interests. In no particular order, land use, architecture, landscape architecture, art, politics, history (there I am mostly a reader), philosophy somewhat (mostly a reader of others posts), travel, film, food (and food, food, food), pets, animals in general. I'm a woman in her later sixties, and live in New Mexico.

My present avatar is of my all time favorite dog, who died a few years ago but whose photo I get a kick out of seeing. (See... he's typing in the avatar)
jespah

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:32 pm
@ossobuco,
I saw a Pembroke Corgi today, same colors as Pacco, and I thought of you.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:34 pm
@jespah,
Awww...
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:46 pm
Hi Philosophers,
I'm Eorl, Australian humanist agnostic with extremely atheistic tendencies.
I don't know much about anything, but I find if I throw out an ignorant opinion (as is the modern way) there'll be no shortage of folks here willing to better inform me.
My avatar is a self-portrait oil-on-canvas painted during a creatively frustrating period of my life.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:49 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

yeah, ctrl-C would be in order to save the draft...

R(didn't know that either)P

or, if you really want to reply to a specific post and read the entire discussion you can right-click on reply all, select open in a new tab, select reply in the original tab and go back and forth between tabs - writing in one, reading the other one.

If one was so inclined...
0 Replies

lazymon

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:12 pm
Hi all, I am new to both forums pretty much. I am enjoying the broad variety in topics here. I love philosophy to a certain degree (all things in moderation), I also enjoy web development, forum software, gaming, art, graphics design. I am enjoying watching how the moderators handle this transition and the development of new communities in general. I am glad to be here as it all goes down Razz
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:12 pm
@lazymon,
lazymon, internet voyeur, welcome to a2k!
0 Replies

Huxley

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:13 pm
I was new to Philforum when it switched over, so despite having to learn a new format, I'm not feeling terribly discombobulated. I'm a chemistry student, and my hobby is philosophy.

Recently I've been rather taken with Nietzsche, Hegel, and have finally felt that I had the requisite background to pick up the "serious" philosophy of science books written in the 20th century, so I'm getting through those. I also used to act for a living, and so I love aesthetics.
mister kitten

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:14 pm
Who wants to dance with me?

My name is <ole - you can call me mk or mister kitten
I'm a high school student leaving a second year (please cool out with the vulgar language...members who use). In my spare time I write, draw, sing, annoy, read, think, explore, and practice karate. I'm most allied with a combination of Existential and Sophist philosophy. I think drugs are horrible.

I am a terrible dancer
ACB

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:04 pm
I am ACB from Philforum, and live near London, UK. (The letters are just my initials - nothing cryptic!) My particular areas of philosophical interest are metaphysics, epistemology, philosophy of mind, and logic. I have never studied philosophy formally except at a basic level, but have done some sporadic reading on the subject. I generally favour an analytical approach to philosophical problems, and am particularly fascinated by logical paradoxes.

My areas of expertise are classical music (I play and teach piano) and English grammar. I occasionally write music and poetry, and enjoy wordplay.

I expect I will find plenty of interesting material in the new forum.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:15 pm
Hello to all you philosophers..
I'm a Canuck too, from Alberta. I joined abuzz then a2k way back when, but I've been kind of sporadic in my posting over the years. I don't know know much about philosophy but I'd love to learn. Slainte.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:21 pm
@Huxley,
We have some Nietzsche fans here. Not posting often, but well.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:53 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten wrote:

Who wants to dance with me?

My name is <ole - you can call me mk or mister kitten
I'm a high school student leaving a second year (please cool out with the vulgar language...members who use). In my spare time I write, draw, sing, annoy, read, think, explore, and practice karate. I'm most allied with a combination of Existential and Sophist philosophy. I think drugs are horrible.

I am a terrible dancer

I like kittens...shall we waltz?
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 08:29 am
Hi I am ding_an_sich (trans. "thing-in-itself"). I am a student double majoring in Secondary Ed. History and Philosophy. Most of my philosophy steams from Kant, Schopenhauer, Kierkegaard, and Wittgenstein. I am willing to talk about things that I can speak of intelligibly. I also try to write clearly and present my thoughts in a clarified way (unlike those charlatans that scour the forum from time to time). If you mess up, I will correct you; and if I mess up, you can correct me. The relationship is mutual.

I can be silly sometimes, so in that case just play along.

Good day.
0 Replies