kennethamy

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 02:27 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Are you willing to point a gun at me just because I disagree with you and don't feel like giving my money away?

Doesn't "your" money derive from the existence of the state? How would you get money on your own?

My money depends on the financial system set up by a State or government, but people earn their money. I cannot make a table on my own. But once I have purchased the table it is my own table. I don't have to create something in order to own it. Most of what I own I did not create.
spendius

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 02:56 pm
@kennethamy,
Yes--but that is a political decision to say what "own" means and is circular. Of course you own the table if ownership is defined as we define it. Some may prefer to say that you have the use of it and to get it you give up the use of other things.

And that people earn their money depends on how you define earn.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 03:23 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Yes--but that is a political decision to say what "own" means and is circular. Of course you own the table if ownership is defined as we define it. Some may prefer to say that you have the use of it and to get it you give up the use of other things.

And that people earn their money depends on how you define earn.

To say that I own the table if "ownership" is defined as we define it, is just like saying that you eat the steak if "eat" and "steak" is defined as we define those words. And I don't eat the steak if I mean by "eat" smell, and if I mean by "steak" flowers. Then what I am saying is that I smell the flowers. But, so what? On the other hand, if "steak" and "eat" means what we ordinarily mean by those words, then I eat the steak. And the same goes for owning the table. Naturally, if I say "I own the table" and I don't mean by those words what is ordinarily meant, then I am not saying I own the table, but I am saying something different. Is that supposed to be a revelation?

In other words, what is your point besides telling me that if I mean something else than I ordinarily mean by the words I use, then when I use those words I mean something else than what I ordinarily mean when I use those words? Is that your point? Not much of one, since it is simply a trivial tautology. You must have some other point than that, since the point you are making is not worth making.
EmperorNero

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 03:30 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
I don't eat the steak if I mean by "eat" smell, and if I mean by "steak" flowers. Then what I am saying is that I smell the flowers.
Nice. Mr. Green
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 04:08 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

The primary purpose of state is to protect the rich from the poor.

I think the question was what it should be, in your opinion.

Your question implies an underlying assumption. Arguably, the way you have framed it implies that you think the state is capable of being something other than an interface in the service of ruling elites that lies between them and the rest of the populace.

You question is a bit like asking, "But, if a shark was not a carnivorous fish, what should it be?"

If one's underlying assumption is that the state is, by definition, nothing more than a tool of whoever is currently running the show, then your question is meaningless.
spendius

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 04:19 pm
@kennethamy,
But life itself involves chomping through the nutrient bed as a caterpillar or a diner in a posh restaurant.

"Owning" a table is a political category and not a biological one. It is a choice and not a necessity. Not everybody makes that choice. Everybody necessarily eats.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 04:27 pm
@stevecook172001,
I would agree with edgar's statement that the primary purpose of the state is to protect the rich from the poor but I would add to it that it is advantageous to the rich to provide for the poor to the extent that the poor don't get mad enough to use their superior numbers to redress their grievances as happened in 1789 in France.
stevecook172001

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 04:51 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I would agree with edgar's statement that the primary purpose of the state is to protect the rich from the poor but I would add to it that it is advantageous to the rich to provide for the poor to the extent that the poor don't get mad enough to use their superior numbers to redress their grievances as happened in 1789 in France.

Oh yes, but you make the assumption that those who are running the show are clever. They're not, they're just lucky, that's all.

The history of civilisation is littered with states that have pushed their populaces to revolution.
spendius

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 05:11 pm
@stevecook172001,
That's as maybe but this civilisation is a very long way from having a population which has any interest in revolution. The poor of this civilisation are richer than the rich were in other civilisations. One only need imagine a Pharoe with a toothache or an Emperor with gout to see that. I can see Henry the VIII offering half his kingdom for a second-hand Toyoto.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 05:22 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

That's as maybe but this civilisation is a very long way from having a population which has any interest in revolution. The poor of this civilisation are richer than the rich were in other civilisations. One only need imagine a Pharoe with a toothache or an Emperor with gout to see that. I can see Henry the VIII offering half his kingdom for a second-hand Toyoto.

Some people just love to protest. It is what they do. They are professional protesters. They (many of the same ones) show up all the time protesting this and that. Sometimes they go to the barricades just to have more fun.
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 05:39 pm
@stevecook172001,
stevecook172001 wrote:
Your question implies an underlying assumption. Arguably, the way you have framed it implies that you think the state is capable of being something other than an interface in the service of ruling elites that lies between them and the rest of the populace.

You question is a bit like asking, "But, if a shark was not a carnivorous fish, what should it be?"

If one's underlying assumption is that the state is, by definition, nothing more than a tool of whoever is currently running the show, then your question is meaningless.

Not assuming something is not making an assumption, but lack thereof. You're the one with the assumption.
Now, why would the state per definition be interface in the service of ruling elites? It is per definition interference, but not necessarily on behalf of anyone specific.
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 05:45 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
In fact, since in a democracy (not other States) the government rules by the consent of the governed, you are mistaken.

I never consented to be governed. I suppose you think a desert island on which 2 people vote to control a 3rd person is a democracy as well?
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 05:48 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Are you willing to point a gun at me just because I disagree with you and don't feel like giving my money away?

Doesn't "your" money derive from the existence of the state? How would you get money on your own?

That's a rather stupid question. Why would I need currency all by myself? Also, currency can be either private or fiat. There's no sate required.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 06:33 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
In fact, since in a democracy (not other States) the government rules by the consent of the governed, you are mistaken.

I never consented to be governed. I suppose you think a desert island on which 2 people vote to control a 3rd person is a democracy as well?

Right. Find a desert island then, and be one of the two. Or why not have all three people vote? Or draw lots. Anything that's fair.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 09:52 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Or why not have all three people vote?

All 3 did vote, 2 voted to rob the 3rd and the 3rd voted against it. Majority wins. The 3rd person gets robbed, democratically.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 10:23 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
Or why not have all three people vote?

All 3 did vote, 2 voted to rob the 3rd and the 3rd voted against it. Majority wins. The 3rd person gets robbed, democratically.

Yes, and that is why democracies like the US have provisions against the tyranny of the majority. In the United States, we have the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 10:33 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Yes, and that is why democracies like the US have provisions against the tyranny of the majority.

So you're saying that the majority of people couldn't vote to change the Constitution?
kennethamy

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 10:39 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
Yes, and that is why democracies like the US have provisions against the tyranny of the majority.

So you're saying that the majority of people couldn't vote to change the Constitution?

In theory, but not in practice. Anyway, as things stand now, there is protection for minority views in the United States by law. And in most of the Western democracies in other ways. So the point is moot. Majority rule without any protection of the rights of the minority is not democratic rule. But that is just Government 101.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 10:51 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
In theory, but not in practice. Anyway, as things stand now, there is protection for minority views in the United States by law. And in most of the Western democracies in other ways.

Right, like minority views on wearing seat belts, selling large sized beers, gambling, drugs, etc.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 10:51 pm
1 - The need for the State is so clear as one´s need for a brain, or a microprocessor in a computer...is self evident.

2 - As for the system...the only requirement it must have is to do the job.
If it does n´t sooner or later it will get out...

3 - About the naivety of majority´s and Democracy´s the only thing I find honest to say is that if the majority was to really govern there would n´t be any need for State in the first place...and is case to ask why not direct democracy anyway ? Why can´t we vote every decision in the computer age ?

...the answer is quite simple...exactly for the same reason most of us should n´t be able to vote at all.

...of course...someone said democracy is the worst system there is with the exception of every other...and there are good reasons to believe it !

Best Regards>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE