Educational gifts..or other thoughts and ideas.....

quinn1

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:10 pm
Ive always liked getting fun and interesting gifts for kids but, its been so long since the godkids were wee ones that I have been doing nice clothes and savings bonds for friends kids for a while.

My cousin has a wee one (20 months) and I am at a loss as to what to get him.
Whats the new and exciting educational type toys for this age range?

All I could get out of my Aunt was that he has a new sparking interest in dinosaurs. Doesnt help much but, maybe, what do I know?

Thanks Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,847 • Replies: 36
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:24 pm
hmmmmmmmmm, 20 months...... I can look it up in the baby books around the houses I work in. I'd say blocks (building stuff, legos, bristle blocks, etc)right off the bat.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:31 pm
yeah, I was thinking along the line of blocks..and actually saw these cool blocks the other day...they were transparent with animals in them kinda like???? Hard to explain but, interesting.
Legos...hey, at least those are still kewl!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:34 pm
those blocks sound cool! I have seen lots and lots of toys for the last 4 years. And, I still rate the basics better for the really young tots. Electronic learning toys (think LeapFrog) don't seem to come in too handy until the kids start to learning to read.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:37 pm
You know..I was thinkiong right along those lines..the LeapFrog and those look really great but, I cant see them doing wonders until later.

I gotta find those blocks I think...dang...I was so involved with the looks I forgot to get the name. Blah.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:40 pm
can't you go back to where you found them?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:54 pm
I saw them on tv...hehehehe.

Found them....interesting..looks like toysrus is out of stock? odd. Anyway...description:
From the Manufacturer
This 12 piece Peek-a-blocks gift set from Fisher Price helps build babies senses.The blocks are made to highlight sounds and farm animals. The first six blocks go boing, ding, squeak, clack ... these blocks are full of fascinating sounds for baby to listen to. There's so much to discover with Peek-a-Blocks tiny objects, interesting motions, sounds, textures and more! The other six blocks help baby learn about farm animals. Peek! Rattle! Wag! Bobble! Each Barnyard Friends Block has friendly animals inside, with special motions or sounds to fascinate baby. There's so much to discover with Peek-a-Blocks tiny objects, interesting motions, sounds, textures and more!

Picture:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008XYR8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

seems they've got all kinds. I shall have to browse some more.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:55 pm
Does the info include an age-range that the toy is appropriate for?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:59 pm
Manufacturer's age: 6 months and up
Our recommended age: 6 months - 3 years

I dont know..I keep thinking of him as being past these though for some reason.

About 6 months ago he was enjoying the learning table with all the sounds and bottons and music and all that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 09:14 pm
Yeah, my thought was that they were marketed for tots under 2. But, blocks themselves are ok with kids older than that. Eliza still plays with her blocks, so does Silvi.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:49 pm
The Nature Company stores are always a great resource for educational gifts for kids of all ages (adults too).
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 07:14 am
I might actually have to go out shopping for the little guy I guess.

I had forgotten about the Nature Company, thanks.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 07:40 am
My niece absolutely loves books. I got a book for her second birthday, where you give them their name and birthdate, and they put it in a story, so it's like the tale was written for and around the child in question. My hope is that she'll one day have an appreciation for it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 09:28 am
Right about then is when sozlet went batty for the Fisher Price farm. I dunno how educational it is, but she LOVED it, and was her transition to imaginary play. (First just holding the animals, putting them in the barn maybe, then starting to act out scenarios -- the farmer feeding the horses, etc.)
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 01:03 pm
Yeah, Fisher Price seems to have some great interactive toys...Ill have to go check their website.

Books...well, at 20 months books like Mark Twain I dont think will go over well Wink I could look at books though..I like books.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 01:27 pm
You think it's hard at 20 months? Try 20 years! What does one get a 20 year old son??
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 03:23 pm
oh Clary..I feel for ya..my godson is turning 21 in a few months...Ive offered to buy him and a buddy tickets to the Bruins or he'll just have to let me know if there is something he wants...its tough. Even worse though..my goddaughter just turned 18...ugh...it certainly doesnt get easier.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 03:17 am
Last year I bought my 3 sons (all now in early 20s) exciting stuff like microlight flights and bungee jumps. They haven't had time to do them!
Maybe I'll try and give them good books. They never did read as kids, and 2 of them are now at university - they should know their heritage! Tickets to things are a good idea, ours all want to go to some football (sorry, soccer) match next year in Portugal...
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 09:03 am
Too bad they havent had the time to do that stuff..what great ideas...will have to remember for coming years Wink
Yeah, I thought the ticket thing would work, of course its gonna cost me a fortune to get 2 tickets, a hotel for the evening, and most likely go with him to the game myself Wink if he doesnt mind that is, and probably buy him dinner,lunch, gas money, toll money, etc etc. oiy. Hes lucky hes a good kid and cute as well.

As for the wee little new cousins kid...Im still just overwhelmed by kids stuff at the moment. But, how about Legos...Lincoln Logs..etc etc. ?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 10:58 am
Lincoln logs are for older kids I think. Legos are good though, especially Duplos, the big chunky kind for littler kids.
0 Replies