Does low intelligence(IQ) mean less suffering?

Recursion

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 01:32 am
@north,
The number of nerves in the brain or CNS is not the simple measure of IQ, neurons connect to each other in trillions of ways. Did you forget?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 01:59 am
Intelligence has little to do with ones happiness or lack thereof.

Intelligence leads one to overanalyse? No, this is not correct. Intelligence allows for better analysis, and so intelligent people as a group are prone to 'over-analysis', and yet (in terms of happiness) there are two things at play here :

1. Not all intelligent people choose to indulge in over-analysis. Analysis, or perhaps rather 'the level/amount of analysis' is often a habit, born of ease of analytical talent, beliefs, attitudes etc, rather than something that 'just happens'.

2. Even if each intelligent individual came to the exact same conclusion about the exact same event, you would find a plethora of different reactions to the 'conclusion' - so the way it is handled, and therefore the end result (which relate to ones happiness) is not set in stone..

So it is analysis but the 'beliefs/attitudes' that creates the set of characteristics (from most given circumstances) that one may interpret as being 'the state of happiness' or (at the other end) 'the state of unhappiness'
0 Replies

petter

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 06:48 am
@mark noble,
Mark Noble you are right. I think I have quite a low IQ and I think a lot about things, and it creates sufffering, I have problems with applications, technology etc. Iḿ from a decent background I had the possiblity of getting education and I managed with much time, but life becomes harder and harder. So I think low intelligence can definetly create more suffering. We are able to understand things just as you are, but it takes us more time. I would like to live, but I dont't know how to do it with this brain and mind of mine.
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 04:21 pm
@petter,
Welcome to the low IQ group! Are you speaking empirical or in philosophical absolutes when you describe your ability?
You are able to analyze so what are you complaining about?

Do you find that there are many people that seem to be less analytic than what you are?
0 Replies

borisIII

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 06:27 pm
@Render,
I would personally guess that people with low IQs have harder lives and I would guess commit suicide more often. However, people who have very low IQ's don't seem to care very much at all. Maybe people with high intelligence can figure out how to be more conscious easier.
0 Replies