Does low intelligence(IQ) mean less suffering?

futzipart

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 05:27 pm
@stevecook172001,
Hi Stevecook.....Nope it's really about intelligence and NOT socio-economic status......Just recall the typical conversation about that......ie: "Boy that guy looks so well padded but you know he doesn't seem too bright....probably got some strings pulled".....as opposed to "Boy that guy really has it tough...but seems so bright.....maybe it's his high principles or something....."
It's hard to find qualities in this kind of world that can overcome the value of a well rounded lively intelligence...but search we must, and rationalize we must.
Most people still prefer a bright physician to a dull loving one.
Other professions are less crucial.
Secretly we all want the best job and the ability to be the kind of person who can live with it and live well!
Meanwhile whatever love we have can come in mighty handy....in MOST situations in life...and with most people!
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 10:54 am
@Render,
Evreyone one bears hardships. That to them its the most important thing its. One may say "How cant they not understand this. Why am I the one that have to make such decisions and bare the pain of the concequenses" and another may say "Dont they understand that it hasnt rained in 2 years. How am I suppose to feed my family" . Hmm so nope I think suffering is fair to all. Smile
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 11:38 am
Not less, but definitely a different frame of reference...
0 Replies

north

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 10:08 pm

Does low intelligence(IQ) mean less suffering?

mentally but not physically
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 12:47 am
@north,
Lets say in the 100 algorithms I calculate in the past hour 10% were frustrating bits of information and made me feel bad...
...now lets say that equally 10% from the 1000 algorithms you just did in the same amount of time had exactly the very same effect on you...did you suffer more then I ?
Well...yes in absolute terms...but comparatively we both went miserable in the exact same way...there you go North basic statistics...
0 Replies

permoda12345

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 04:15 am
@Render,
to me they are less intelligent not because they really "less intelligent " they act the personality of being "idiot " for the following reasons "
1- laziness.
2-dependent
3-having life just for fun not seriously
4-they hate truth thats why they ignore the truth
5- truth for them means "work hard "
6- thinking for them is not needed and harmful
0 Replies

permoda12345

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 04:18 am
@north,
they do suffer . thats why they hate humanity .
0 Replies

aze1526

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 03:39 pm
As they say: Ignorance is bliss.

But those who recognize and have obtained a deep comprehension of the impurities in this world and of life itself can possibly be in a worse emotional state than one who is ignorant of these same facts. But it also has to do with a mindset. An intelligent person could have a positive (but remaining in the realm of rationality) mindset and still be fully aware of maddening concepts.

On the other hand, one who is ignorant could have a negative mindset, sulking about every problem they encounter, and deciding to let their negative experiences manipulate their emotional states instead of manipulating the experience to their advantage. Those who have rational, yet positive mindsets take action to get passed the sulking and self-pity point. They rise beyond what plagues them and instead use them as motivations to become a better person.

So to a degree, intelligence is incorporated, but it depends on how you choose to view events and such as well.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 03:47 pm
@aze1526,
great reply aze1526
0 Replies

Render

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 10:09 pm
@aze1526,
I will disagree and say that philosophies revolving around 'choice and rising above experiences' are practically meaningless. Mindsets aren't much of a choice, its our inherent IQ's and cognition patterns that determine our well-being.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 06:51 am
@Render,
I can agree somewhat but I would include that our environment should be considered as well if we are going talk about well-being, then we could also bring up choice and free will which could take us in other directions of talk such as neurophilosophy and so forth.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 07:04 am
Quote:
Nobody's right till somebody's wrong
Nobody's weak till somebody's strong
No one gets lucky till luck comes along
Nobody's lonely till somebody's gone

The idea that intelligence has anything to do with suffering seems disproven by the facts of love.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 07:56 am
@wayne,
When you say love are you including the love that a extremist has or is this love only defined by your understanding "intelligence" of what true love is to you?
wayne

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 08:29 pm
@reasoning logic,
Doesn't really matter which. What I'm saying is that it is all about proportion.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 08:42 pm
The answer is yes if it means going along with the herd without analysis and doubt. It also turns out that those who suffer from sexual abuse the most are the ones who are the most intelligent. Being dumb is only a handicap when it comes to happiness when it gets in the way of gaining money.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 03:10 am
With an IQ of 128, I have no personal experience of living life with a high IQ. I do, however, have lots of experience with people considered to be mentally retarded.
The score for the label ‘mental retardation’ is an IQ of 70 or less.
In this population, there are as many ‘stages’ of mental capacity as there are in the general population. Some have a double diagnosis of mental retardation and physical disability. People in this category usually need 24 hour care.
In the high functioning population, the awareness of their differences is sharply painful. They understand the ‘looks’ and condescending conversation from so-called ‘normal’ people. They fully understand that they have been given a place in society that leaves them outside the lives of those who are smarter. They are more vulnerable to predators, people that almost seem to have the skill of smelling the disabled and understanding their tendency to stand back, assuming that anyone who is smarter should be obeyed. The abuse happens all too often, whether financial or sexual or in the legal system.
The thing is, they do understand and feel the pain of abandonment, of being left behind, of being different or not as valuable as those who are more intelligent. They do have emotional problems, just like their smarter counterparts, but they have far fewer intellectual resources.
Mentally disabled people in a lower group in terms of mental capacity experience just as much pain but without the understanding of highly functioning men and women, but they still feel the pain of being “other.” They do understand demeaning words such as ‘retard’ or stupid and on and on.
If I knew that I would become mentally retarded, I would chose to be lower functioning. At least I wouldn’t be as aware of all the slights, but I wouldn’t be happier.
All these words don’t mean that happiness is out of reach, it just means that happiness, sadly, often needs to be arranged.
0 Replies

Recursion

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 08:11 pm
IQ is the seat of consciousness. The "nous", the "mind", underlying thought, awareness, and intelligent emotion. People in the mentally retarded range can feel emotion, but it's hard to compare it to emotions of people with higher IQ
0 Replies

Recursion

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 08:28 pm
@wayne,
sigh
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 08:43 pm
@Render,
Ask the demoKKKrats in Wisconsin... they all appear to have relatively lower IQs and they appear to be suffering pretty intensely.
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 12:19 am

a lower IQ can and does mean a lower awareness of the without

but it does not mean that their physiological nervous system has less nerves