Canadian PM Stepping Down

mikey

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:19 pm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:25 pm
I'd forgotten about that chokehold incident. I had remembered that Aline Chretien once beaned an intruder into their home with a piece of pottery. Quite the couple.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:40 pm
i'd move to canada tonight if it was warmer there in the winter, maybe the west coast.

i've had it with this political and social 'climatical' nonsense.

enough is enough.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 06:43 am
I know many people here who don't like Chrétien, but I always did. Granted, I only moved to Canada 3 1/2 years ago, but I like the man. We had just gotten here when he got the pie in the face and I laughed my ass off. Hell, if anyone ever did that to a US president they would have been shot or at the very least done some hard time.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 06:52 am
So - what will the new fella be like?

Hey - I was in canada during your election period once!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 06:53 am
Mr. Martin might best be described as a political Walter Mitty. The politics of "the rage of dreaming sheep."
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 06:58 am
dlowan wrote:
So - what will the new fella be like?

Hey - I was in canada during your election period once!

I have no idea what he's like, but I guess time will tell Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 09:42 am
'The Rant'

"I'm not a lumberjack or a fur trader. I don't live in an igloo, eat blubber or own a dogsled.
"I don't know Jimmy, Suzie or Sally from Canada, although I'm certain they're very nice.
"I have a prime minister, not a president.
"I speak English and French, not American.
"And I pronounce it 'about,' not 'a-boot.'
"I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
"I believe in peacekeeping, not policing; diversity, not assimilation.
"And that the beaver is a proud and noble animal.
"A tuque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch.
"And it's pronounced zed. OK? Not zee. Zed.
"Canada is the second-largest land mass, the first nation of hockey and the best part of North America.
"My name is Joe, and I am Canadian."

- Molson Canadian commercial

I love Canada. Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 11:08 am
another ad

girl in bar: oh, you're from Canada? I met a guy from Canada once, his name was Jimmy....blonde hair, glasses?

canadian boy: Oh, Jimmy! Yes. He's dead.

I'm mixed re Martin, but I was with Cretien too. Cretien was a consumate political operative (not my favorite sort) but holding some agreeable principles and notions re our country.

Martin is a bit hard to predict. His background in business may lead him towards an increased connection with the US (god save us!) and certainly there are voices here urging that direction, but he hasn't behaved too badly in the past, holding with the Cretien decision to not support the US unilateral action in Iraq.

Here also, there is a big move afoot to consolidate the old Conservative party (decimated after Mulroney) and the Reform/Alliance (newer and more right wing crowd) party. This consolidation is apparently being pushed by that same Mulroney. It's an ugly crowd and I hope they continue to shoot each other in their lust for power and all things American.

ehBeth

Have you been following the travails of Conrad Black? God, I love it all. Some of the recent press has noted the Hollinger board fellas...Kissinger, Richard Perle.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 11:36 am
oh yes, indeedy do - i've been following the latest Conrad Black saga. He was in town for a book signing yesterday. Also did some interviews at the CBC studio here - I think at least one will be broadcast on Writers and Company.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 11:43 am
That's the "it's my newspaper, i don't give a damn if you did buy stock in the company" magnate, right?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 11:50 am
That's the lad. Gave up his Canadian citizenship so that he could become a lord. Lord of some fine Scottish greenery, as I recall.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 11:50 am
canadian p.m. stepping down
http://home.ca.inter.net/~grantsky/lordblack.html blatham : please try to remember that he likes to be called LORD BLACK OF CROSSHARBOUR - and from what i read in newspaper articles, some of his friends actually do greet him as LORD ... if you want to read how he managed to become a real rogue(a/t OED can mean : rascal, swindler, knave, mischief-loving child ... take your pick!), the above link will give you a good overview how to climb to the top - and take no prisoners; don't we know someone else like that ? ................................... as for paul martin, i think he is a little slippery for me. i have to admit though, that he "helped" to wrestle canada's debt to the ground; i am giving him some credit for it. i think he is simply too old(i should talk!) to become prime-minister now - a SENIOR CITIZEN, give me a break ! i guess polititicians (and some other people too!) don't know when it is time to quit; the trappings that go with the job of prime-minister must have an awfull lot of attraction. ... now remember : LORD BLACK OF CROSSHARBOUR, and tug your forelock and bend slightly at the waist while you address him ! oh, what a wonderfull world ! hbg.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 12:42 pm
Martins got big shoes to fill and a family destiny to fulfill. He seems to give a damn about the west, that's a first. I can't remember a politician who didn't give the west more than lip service, aside from joe, who?
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 12:52 pm
I didn't know that they allowed a person like Cretin to be Prime Minister.

I know something about Canada.

l. It is a country divided in two.

The French frogs in Quebec think they should be spearate from the rest of the country.

The medical system in Canada is a mess. Any elective surgery takes months to be scheduled.

The Canadians love Canada. That is why so many millions of them motor to the South of the USA in winter.

The Canadian economy is in the toilet. The most fortunate Canadians are those who can work in the US and live in Canada.

The reason Canada has deteriorated so greatly in the last thirty years is that there are so many in Canada who are offsprings of the cowards who ran to Canada to avoid serving their country in Viet Nam. The "cowardice" gene is showing up all over the country.

It is most virulent in the second rate institutions the Canadians call Universities in that frozen land.

Harvard alone has more brain power than the entire Canadian faculty group put together.

The Canadians definitely suffer from a severe inferiority complex.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 12:52 pm
What about Diefenbaker (sp?), wasn't he a westerner (Sasquatch Juan, n'est-ce pas)? Then, maybe you ain't as old as me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 12:54 pm
IG seems to be of the Voltaire "so many acres of snow" school of thought with regard to Canada, only a little more caustic . . .
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 01:25 pm
two kinds of people in this world....
It only proves how little he actually knows.

Set, I'm a trudeau baby, but yeah Dief was from Saskatewan.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 01:48 pm
Italgato wrote:
I didn't know that they allowed a person like Cretin to be Prime Minister.

I know something about Canada.

l. It is a country divided in two.

The French frogs in Quebec think they should be spearate from the rest of the country.

The medical system in Canada is a mess. Any elective surgery takes months to be scheduled.

The Canadians love Canada. That is why so many millions of them motor to the South of the USA in winter.

The Canadian economy is in the toilet. The most fortunate Canadians are those who can work in the US and live in Canada.

The reason Canada has deteriorated so greatly in the last thirty years is that there are so many in Canada who are offsprings of the cowards who ran to Canada to avoid serving their country in Viet Nam. The "cowardice" gene is showing up all over the country.

It is most virulent in the second rate institutions the Canadians call Universities in that frozen land.

Harvard alone has more brain power than the entire Canadian faculty group put together.

The Canadians definitely suffer from a severe inferiority complex.

Looks like we have another who knows nothing about Canada.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 04:47 pm
Montana
Montana, knowing nothing has never prevented Italgato from pretending to know something wrapped up in a bow of sarcasm.

BBB
0 Replies