Any philosophers that think time is completely subjective?

hue-man

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 10:48 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;137426 wrote:
How does one explain the color red? Not in terms of wavelengths or neurons but the redness of it? The feeling of cold, or hunger. What could it meant o explain a feeling? I don't mean in a causal sense.

Once again, the subjective qualities of perception can be explained by the functional and dispositional properties of perception. The private nature of what it's like to experience a thing is necessitated by the properties of perception. Therefore the argument for qualia does not dismiss the possibility that the process that the we call time exists independently of the human mind or whether or not objects exists independently of the human mind.
Reconstructo

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 02:39 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;137549 wrote:
Therefore the argument for qualia does not dismiss the possibility that the process that the we call time exists independently of the human mind or whether or not objects exists independently of the human mind.

That's not what I was using it for. Qualia are strange. They are difficult to talk about, impossible to reduce. I don't care about their relation to some causal network. That they are at all is a wonder.

I think the "mind-matter" dichotomy is questionable, actually. I think the real is a rational, and the rational real. At least for us. We have our reasons for dividing experience into subjective and objective, but this division is our invention. It's the same with the self-other dichotomy. There's something logically fishy in that, no matter how useful or even practically necessary.
hue-man

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 05:06 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;137632 wrote:
That's not what I was using it for. Qualia are strange. They are difficult to talk about, impossible to reduce. I don't care about their relation to some causal network. That they are at all is a wonder.

I don't find qualia to be strange at all, but I suppose that the strangeness of something is a matter of perspective.

Reconstructo;137632 wrote:
I think the "mind-matter" dichotomy is questionable, actually. I think the real is a rational, and the rational real. At least for us. We have our reasons for dividing experience into subjective and objective, but this division is our invention. It's the same with the self-other dichotomy. There's something logically fishy in that, no matter how useful or even practically necessary.

Do we separate experience into subjective and objective? What exactly does objective experience mean to you? Maybe the separation of things into subjective and objective is not a matter of invention but a matter of discovery. Perhaps it is our intelligence that provides us with the capability to recognize such a distinction.
Reconstructo

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 08:47 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;137695 wrote:
I don't find qualia to be strange at all, but I suppose that the strangeness of something is a matter of perspective.

You never find it strange that we exist at all? Especially when younger I was often struck by this. And it's not only that we exist, but that we exist in determinate ways. Why this planet and this body, and not another? To answer these questions by plugging them into some incomplete causal nexus is not to truly answer them. It's all contingent, to someone in a certain frame of mind.

---------- Post added 03-08-2010 at 09:59 PM ----------

hue-man;137695 wrote:

Do we separate experience into subjective and objective? What exactly does objective experience mean to you? Maybe the separation of things into subjective and objective is not a matter of invention but a matter of discovery. Perhaps it is our intelligence that provides us with the capability to recognize such a distinction.

It's basically the difference between Kant and Hegel, or transcendental and absolute idealism. Distinctions are all subsumed within the absolute. This absolute is inferred/invented when a philosopher becomes conscious that all dichotomies are imposed by the "mind," including the mind/matter dichotomy. And this is why "mind" is in quotes. Wittgenstein also saw this, but phrased it differently. But a key Hegel phrase is "no finite thing has genuine being," and this is because finitude is nothing but the imposition of concept.

Kant's concept of noumena was just that, a concept. For us to contemplate is reality beyond us is arguably delusive, for these contemplations themselves are obviously ours.

Hegel's Phenomenology traces the journey from consciousness to self-consciousness. The object-subject distinction is a phase. Examined carefully, it's only justified socially or practically, not logically. Where is in the world is the subject? Clearly, we associate the subject with the brain, but this is not a logical answer, but only a pragmatic approximation.

As the mind becomes self-consciousness, it sees that what it took for the other was very much itself, for to the degree that experience is real, it is also rational. What can be said about qualia, more than we already say? We can not speak of them until they are bound up in our concepts. It's when we become conscious of ourselves as not only the structure but the structures of reality, on the most fundamental conceptual level, that we near freedom. Or so runs the theory.
hue-man

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 12:19 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;137754 wrote:
You never find it strange that we exist at all? Especially when younger I was often struck by this. And it's not only that we exist, but that we exist in determinate ways. Why this planet and this body, and not another? To answer these questions by plugging them into some incomplete causal nexus is not to truly answer them. It's all contingent, to someone in a certain frame of mind.
I sometimes find it strange that the universe exists, but then I think of the fact that this strangeness is a result of my abstract thought. We are very strange animals.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 03:22 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;137941 wrote:
I sometimes find it strange that the universe exists, but then I think of the fact that this strangeness is a result of my abstract thought. We are very strange animals.

strange (strhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/amacr.gifnj)adj. , 1. Not previously known; unfamiliar.
2. a. Out of the ordinary; unusual or striking.
b. Differing from the normal.

I wonder which of these is that anything exists.

For instance, do you think it is something out of the ordinary, or differing from the normal that anything exists?
hue-man

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 05:26 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;137996 wrote:
strange (strhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/amacr.gifnj)adj. , 1. Not previously known; unfamiliar.
2. a. Out of the ordinary; unusual or striking.
b. Differing from the normal.

I wonder which of these is that anything exists.

For instance, do you think it is something out of the ordinary, or differing from the normal that anything exists?

By strange I meant that it excites wonder and awe. That's another definition for the word strange that wasn't included in the quote above.

Strange
2 a : not before known, heard, or seen : unfamiliar b : exciting wonder or awe :

Strange - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
HexHammer

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 08:51 am
@ufotofu,
ufotofu;136280 wrote:
I'm currently writing a paper on how time is subjective. So far I only have Augustine as an example, who, from what I understand, does not believe time is completely subjective or objective. Can anyone lead me in the right direction?
Time as of such, are still undefined. Einstein gave a baffeling description of it, useing light as an example of how to explain it, and how it was relative.

What many siencetist takes as a proof, is that 2 clocks, 1 on earth and 1 put in a space shuttle will be different when coming back and compared, saying that gravity distorsts time and space.

Yes that in itself is true, but then it would be the same as saying as temperature and a boats rocking distorts time, for pendulum clocks (see history about finding the ladditude, english admiralty)

Imo time in itself doesn't excist, it's only our poor ability to grasp it.
Diogenes phil

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 11:30 pm
@ufotofu,
Time is a manmade dimension. It does not exist.
0 Replies

ughaibu

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 11:34 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;138252 wrote:
Imo time in itself doesn't excist, it's only our poor ability to grasp it.
If it doesn't exist, what is there to grasp?

---------- Post added 03-11-2010 at 02:36 PM ----------

Diogenes;138528 wrote:
Time is a manmade dimension.
Presumably this means that time is something that humans measure.
Diogenes;138528 wrote:
It does not exist.
Then, what are they measuring?
HexHammer

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 11:40 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;138530 wrote:
If it doesn't exist, what is there to grasp?

---------- Post added 03-11-2010 at 02:36 PM ----------

Presumably this means that time is something that humans measure.Then, what are they measuring?
Time isn't some substance which you can throw around, it is like speed just a messurement.
ughaibu

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 11:48 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;138534 wrote:
Time isn't some substance which you can throw around, it is like speed just a messurement.
The same can be said of space, is it your opinion that space too doesn't exist?
HexHammer

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 02:39 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;138538 wrote:
Maybe you should first argue why it doesn't excist, instead making a weird postulation.
ughaibu

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 02:53 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;138556 wrote:
Maybe you should first argue why it doesn't excist, instead making a weird postulation.
I haven't claimed that something doesn't exist, so there is no possible argument that I could make.
You wrote:
HexHammer;138534 wrote:
Speed is distance divided by time, so one could substitute "space" for "time" in your post without significantly changing any apparent meaning. So I ask again, in your opinion, does space not exist?
HexHammer

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 03:09 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;138538 wrote:

ughaibu;138559 wrote:
I haven't claimed that something doesn't exist, so there is no possible argument that I could make.
You wrote:Speed is distance divided by time, so one could substitute "space" for "time" in your post without significantly changing any apparent meaning. So I ask again, in your opinion, does space not exist?
Is this an attempt to be amuseing? :whistling:
ughaibu

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 03:14 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;138561 wrote:
Is this an attempt to be amuseing? :whistling:
Okay, so you have no consistent reason for your belief that time doesn't exist. What use, to you, is this particular irrational belief?
0 Replies

maqbool khawaja

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 03:51 am
@ufotofu,
ufotofu;136280 wrote:
I'm currently writing a paper on how time is subjective. So far I only have Augustine as an example, who, from what I understand, does not believe time is completely subjective or objective. Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Hi,
i think there are two types of times
No. 1. man made time which depends on the speed of different objects in our solar system and it is not absolute. when any object will change the speed the time will be changed so it is not perpetual. in fact it is still because nothing is being produced, everything is being reproduced so in totatlity there is no change. for example, one person dies and another person replaces him, one tree dies and another tree replaces it, etc.

No.2. the real time- which starts with the birth of the universe and going on towards its death with its own scale & direction.

by the way this is my philosophy, it may be right or wrong.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 02:02 am
@maqbool khawaja,
maqbool khawaja;138566 wrote:
Hi,
i think there are two types of times NOW
in fact it is still because nothing is being produced, everything is being reproduced so in totatlity there is no change. for example, one person dies and another person replaces him, one tree dies and another tree replaces it, etc.

No.2. the real time- which starts with the birth of the universe and going on towards its death with its own scale & direction.

by the way this is my philosophy, it may- be right or wrong.

:perplexed:If there are twoo types off Time why not V^3 T ?

Relativity optima Forum/StoA
. Tym zones
- Esotherice meaning Tym
- Tym at work
-
The Time U spend with your Loved one's !:bigsmile:

PS I will drop charges to my Government )local(:letme-at-em:
0 Replies

Dosed

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 03:50 pm
@ufotofu,
Heidegger touches on this topic thoroughly in the second section of Being and Time.

I'd explain, but I've only read the first section on "being" so far. Razz
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 04:24 pm
@ufotofu,
"completely subjective?" I am not sure what that means.
Time is the sequencing of events. Time is inherent in a universe where reality is composed of events (process) as ours is. Human notions of time are subjective but time is merely the change which occurs in the universe. No change- no time. When the rate of change varies time varies.
0 Replies