Death: A Misunderstood Concept

Jebediah

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 02:20 pm
@sneer,
sneer;139656 wrote:
fear is what is limiting humans.
I say "no" to any fear. I'm human.

The word fear has a broad set of uses though. Why do you say "no" (???) to the enjoyable fear people get from roller coasters? Some people don't enjoy it of course, but do you say "no" to it in the way that we teach kids to say "no" to drugs?
0 Replies

sneer

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 03:14 pm
@EnvyTheRetarted,
in that meaning the word "fear" was misused here.
humans do like "safe fear" as a substitute of fears disappeared with civilization.
Jebediah

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 04:08 pm
@sneer,
sneer;139690 wrote:
in that meaning the word "fear" was misused here.
humans do like "safe fear" as a substitute of fears disappeared with civilization.

So you don't say no to any fear, only to certain kinds of fear. The fear of heights one might get in a skyscraper is a bad fear, the fear of heights when standing on a slippery slope above a cliff might be a good fear. In general protecting or fun fears are good and limiting fears/anxieties are bad?
sneer

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:52 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;139714 wrote:
So you don't say no to any fear, only to certain kinds of fear.

I can't deal with low-level fears, really, however I'd prefer avoiding dangers in result of thinking/imagination processes and not atavism. I'm not exceeding 100 mph on highway not because any automated process, but because my imagination.
Coming back to the main topic: in common understanding, the fear of death is the anxiety of death in fact, while the real fear is related to dying process and suffering. That's my observation.
One of my personal breakthroughs was leaving completely the world of anxieties and - almost - fears.
0 Replies

I am question

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:28 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;131226 wrote:
What about 1+1=2 is absolute? First, only the "2" there is an answer, isn't it? And that answer seems to be a mathematical one.

Where does the "absolute" come in?

Why do people always say this? What do you mean here? I don't know how to argue semantics. Can I argue syntax and pragmatics with you instead?

You can argue grammar and the use of a language but not the meaning? I dont understand. Its the meaning of a word in a certain language. You can argue semantics with a child or a foreigner, its easy trust me, I just did it about an hour ago. If you dont like my word choice of absolute then pick a synonym and dont worry, just be happy.
Twilight Siren

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 09:47 pm
@I am question,
I'd have to say that I don't fear death, but the pain of dying, just like I don't fear heights, just falling from them!!! No matter what happens, I know that energy cannot be destroyed, but merely transformed and I will go on, in some way, in some form, with some other purpose. It's a new beginning, a new lesson. . . . I'm just not ready for this lesson to end, quite yet. It's definitely worth trying to avoid, at the very least!!!
0 Replies