9 year old suicide

Zetherin

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:32 pm
@Karpowich,
Jebediah wrote:

In some cases it is. Older people and people in chronic pain, people with no future ahead of them. Mostly though, they are in a highly abnormal state of mind, right? I don't think depression brings with it a realistic view of the future.

Well, it's hard to say if optimism brings a realistic view of the future, either. I always thought this was interesting:

Depressive Realism

"Studies by psychologists Alloy and Abramson (1979) and Dobson and Franche (1989) suggested that depressed people appear to have a more realistic perception of their importance, reputation, locus of control, and abilities than those who are not depressed.

People without depression are more likely to have inflated self-images and look at the world through "rose-colored glasses", thanks to cognitive dissonance elimination and a variety of other defense mechanisms."

Of course, I don't anyone advocates depression! But, I think it's important to find that 'grey-area'. Don't be too damn happy and uplifting about everything, but don't wallow in torment all the time either. Of course, with that said, I acknowledge some people do not have much control of their emotions due to chemical imbalances.

Quote:

That's very true, I hadn't considered the "people relying on you" angle.

Some people, whether they like it or not, hold certain responsibilities. And, yes, I do think this is a factor when determining whether the certain act of suicide is selfish.
Pyrrho

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:35 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;140324 wrote:
There's a lot goin' on in the article you just posted. Perhaps we could focus on one or more arguments which you find inconsistent, or which you do not find sound for whatever reason.

I am not saying that Hume is inconsistent; far from it, as his essay is the best essay on suicide I have ever read. I am saying that very often, when someone presents an argument against suicide, they argue using principles that they do not apply consistently. For example, when people say that it upsets other people very much to commit suicide, and therefore the person ought not commit suicide, they do not apply this same reasoning to other areas of life, such as whether or not they will have premarital sex, thus possibly greatly upsetting their parents, or getting a tattoo, or changing their religion, or marrying someone of whom one's family and friends strongly disapprove, etc. If strongly upsetting other people were so strong an argument that one should therefore not commit suicide, then many other aspects of one's life would also be under the control of the whims of others whom one happens to know. It is just a bad argument to say that it upsets others and therefore one ought not do it.

Of course, insofar as one does do something to other people, it is a matter of concern for others, but it does not apply to things not actually done to them. To clarify that, I will use an example. Suppose there is a person who is gay, and the person's parents are strongly homophobic, and believe that that is sinful and will cause the person to be damned to hellfire for eternity. That does not mean that the person is obligated to refrain from homosexual activity, no matter how it makes other people feel. If you like, we can alter the example to something that more religionists would accept, such as converting from the "false" religion of one's parents to the "one true religion". It just does not matter how much it upsets the parents and other relatives and friends or anyone else in society; it is the person's choice to do this. It would be different if the example were something affecting others in a nonemotional way, as, for example, if someone wanted to rape and torture others, but in the examples I am using, no one is affected in a nonemotional way at all, whereas using thumbscrews on someone affects that someone more than just emotionally. Suicide, absent obligations to support others, only affects others emotionally. So it is just their tough luck, just like if you decide to marry someone of whom they do not approve, or any other thing you do of which they do not approve.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:39 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;140335 wrote:
I am not saying that Hume is inconsistent; far from it, as his essay is the best essay on suicide I have ever read. I am saying that very often, when someone presents an argument against suicide, they argue using principles that they do not apply consistently. For example, when people say that it upsets other people very much to commit suicide, and therefore the person ought not commit suicide, they do not apply this same reasoning to other areas of life, such as whether or not they will have premarital sex, thus possibly greatly upsetting their parents, or getting a tattoo, or changing their religion, or marrying someone of whom one's family and friends strongly disapprove, etc. If strongly upsetting other people were so strong an argument that one should therefore not commit suicide, then many other aspects of one's life would also be under the control of the whims of others whom one happens to know. It is just a bad argument to say that it upsets others and therefore one ought not do it.

Of course, insofar as one does do something to other people, it is a matter of concern for others, but it does not apply to things not actually done to them. To clarify that, I will use an example. Suppose there is a person who is gay, and the person's parents are strongly homophobic, and believe that that is sinful and will cause the person to be damned to hellfire for eternity. That does not mean that the person is obligated to refrain from homosexual activity, no matter how it makes other people feel. If you like, we can alter the example to something that more religionists would accept, such as converting from the "false" religion of one's parents to the "one true religion". It just does not matter how much it upsets the parents and other relatives and friends or anyone else in society; it is the person's choice to do this. It would be different if the example were something affecting others in a nonemotional way, as, for example, if someone wanted to rape and torture others, but in the examples I am using, no one is affected in a nonemotional way at all, whereas using thumbscrews on someone affects that someone more than just emotionally. Suicide, absent obligations to support others, only affects others emotionally. So it is just their tough luck, just like if you decide to marry someone of whom they do not approve, or any other thing you do of which they do not approve.

You are really lumping the pain caused by the death of loved one in with the pain caused by someone going against permission to get a tattoo? All pain is not equal, and so, it may not be inconsistent to say, "I think it's wrong to kill yourself because of how your parents would feel, but I don't think it's wrong to get a tattoo because of how your parents would feel".

It is not necessarily a bad argument to say that it upsets others and therefore we ought not do it. Again, back to consideration.

Take note also that the inconsistency of someone's actions or beliefs, has nothing to do with whether the argument is good or bad. So, showing me how someone could be inconsistent in their daily lives, does not show me that an argument they use against suicide is bad.
Pyrrho

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:51 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;140336 wrote:
You are really lumping the pain caused by the death of loved one in with the pain caused by someone going against permission to get a tattoo? All pain is not equal, and so, it may not be inconsistent to say, "I think it's worse to kill yourself because of how your parents would feel, than to get a tattoo because of how your parents would feel".

It is not necessarily a bad argument to say that it upsets others and therefore we ought not do it. Again, back to consideration.

Take note also that the inconsistency of someone's actions or beliefs, has nothing to do with whether the argument is good or bad.

According to some people, getting a tattoo is satanic, and consequently some people getting them would greatly upset their families who believe that. (In case you did not know, it is prohibited in the Bible.) The fact that you regard it as trivial is entirely beside the point. I think people make too much of others committing suicide, because many of them have been brainwashed into believing it is sinful and gets one straight to hell. That is the real cause of the attitude toward suicide in our society. If we look at the matter historically, different cultures have held widely divergent attitudes toward suicide. Ours has been infected with Christianity, and so it is full of Christian prejudices, like the one against suicide. (The same, by the way, applies to homosexuality.)

Now, do you think that people are morally obligated to have consideration for others such that they refrain from getting tattoos if it upsets their families enough? If not, then it is inconsistent to apply that principle to suicide, and therefore you would be wrong if you did so, no matter what the truth is regarding this matter.
0 Replies

Deckard

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:55 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;140332 wrote:

"Studies by psychologists Alloy and Abramson (1979) and Dobson and Franche (1989) suggested that depressed people appear to have a more realistic perception of their importance, reputation, locus of control, and abilities than those who are not depressed.

People without depression are more likely to have inflated self-images and look at the world through "rose-colored glasses", thanks to cognitive dissonance elimination and a variety of other defense mechanisms."

Of course, I don't anyone advocates depression! But, I think it's important to find that 'grey-area'. Don't be too damn happy and uplifting about everything, but don't wallow in torment all the time either. Of course, with that said, I acknowledge some people do not have much control of their emotions due to chemical imbalances.

Depression causes suicide but what causes depression? Chemical imbalance seems to me a cop out. An easy way to avoid the various events and factors that cause the chemical imbalance whether those factors be violence or sexual abuse, dysfunctional families, drug abuse, a steady diet of TV and junk food, unemployment, and whatever larger societal issues that contribute to such things. Depression is the middle man that needs to be eliminated if the real causes are to be addressed. Otherwise we will just be pumping our people full of Prozac like we are pumping our livestock full of antibiotics.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:07 pm
@Karpowich,
Pyrrho wrote:

Now, do you think that people are morally obligated to have consideration for others such that they refrain from getting tattoos if it upsets their families enough? If not, then it is inconsistent to apply that principle to suicide, and therefore you would be wrong if you did so, no matter what the truth is regarding this matter.

Wait, let me get this straight...

You present to me a particular case where the act of getting a tattoo would be taboo and greatly frowned upon, and then from there you somehow place the act of getting a tattoo on equal grounding to losing a loved one, and then thereby tell me I would be inconsistent if I didn't have the same answer for both.

Are you kidding me?

Quote:

Now, do you think that people are morally obligated to have consideration for others such that they refrain from getting tattoos if it upsets their families enough?

They could be being inconsiderate for getting a tattoo, sure. Is that enough to refrain from getting a tattoo? That depends on the person. Me personally, barring any odd circumstances? No.

But the pain felt from losing a loved on is different than the pain caused from getting a tattoo. Even in the cases you mention. Somehow you think we're arguing religion here. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with religion. I'm talking about the loss of life here, man. The loss of a loved one, especially a child.

Quote:

I think people make too much of others committing suicide, because many of them have been brainwashed into believing it is sinful and gets one straight to hell. That is the real cause of the attitude toward suicide in our society.

Not everyone that believes suicide is wrong is brainwashed, my friend. I don't know why you have the impression everyone that is against suicide, in some particular circumstance, is advocating anything religious per se.

---------- Post added 03-16-2010 at 04:09 PM ----------

Deckard;140340 wrote:
Depression causes suicide but what causes depression? Chemical imbalance seems to me a cop out. An easy way to avoid the various events and factors that cause the chemical imbalance whether those factors be violence or sexual abuse, dysfunctional families, drug abuse, a steady diet of TV and junk food, unemployment, and whatever larger societal issues that contribute to such things. Depression is the middle man that needs to be eliminated if the real causes are to be addressed. Otherwise we will just be pumping our people full of Prozac like we are pumping our livestock full of antibiotics.

Yes, it is often common in our world to treat the symptoms while ignoring the causes, isn't it?
Twirlip

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:20 pm
@Zetherin,
Quote:
Yes, it is often common in our world to treat the symptoms while ignoring the causes, isn't it?
Indeed, if other branches of medicine were to follow the example of psychiatry, "pain" would be self-evidently an "illness", it would be "treated" exclusively with massively toxic doses of poorly tested painkillers, and anyone who questioned the diagnosis of "pain" would be accused of being superstitiously ignorant of modern, enlightened, scientific progress, and of callously denying the real suffering of patients diagnosed with "pain".
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:26 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;140332 wrote:
Well, it's hard to say if optimism brings a realistic view of the future, either. I always thought this was interesting:

Depressive Realism

I find that phenomenon interest as well. Here's an article:

Probing the puzzling workings of 'depressive realism'

Quote:
The results help to fit depressive realism, once an apparent anomaly, into the cognitive-distortion model of depression, Baker says. If depressed people do indeed ignore relevant information, this inattention to reality fits clinical results and theories showing that depression influences cognitive activity and the ability to maintain attention--even in nonclinical populations like the one in this study.
Experts welcome the chance to clear up past confusion. "Msetfi and her colleagues have shown that depressive realism is potentially a consequence of differences in simple information processing and not other more complex processes such as the protection of self-esteem," says Andy Baker, PhD, a cognitive psychologist at McGill University who studies how people judge how events go together.
Thus, Msetfi says it could be useful to train patients to interpret situations in the wider context of all possible information that could be relevant to judgment.
Baker is more circumspect about applying the new findings. First, he notes that depressive realism has appeared only in conditions of high density (the bulb comes on a lot) and zero contingency (no matter what the person does).
"Thus there is no real generality to this phenomenon," he says.
Second, he notes that although participants in these studies "are undeniably sad and many of them are alienated, their level of functioning is quite high--they are generally not clinically depressed." Baker believes that studying this group may shed light on the mechanisms of clinical depression, but that calling them "depressed" obscures the fact that this research may or may not be relevant to the clinical population.
Lyn Abramson cautions, "Although the results of Msetfi et al are quite interesting, they do not explain away the phenomenon of depressive realism in [our] original experiment because [the original] depressed participants were doing what the experimenter asked them to do--figure out how much control they had during the experimental trials. Moreover, the Msetfi et al results don't explain why other factors such as whether an outcome is good or bad predict when depressive realism is observed."
Abramson hopes that this study inspires a second-generation wave of research on depressive realism.
The research isn't quite clear, but it can't yet be assumed that depressed people have a more realistic view. It could be down to them not taking into account context.

Deckard wrote:

Those drugs can help, but often the problem is the thoughts and beliefs people have. Certainly not just a chemical imbalance. "I'm no good, the future is hopeless, nothing means anything" if believed, will go along way towards making someone depressed. A certainly skew their interpretation of the things that happen to them.

Twirlip wrote:
Indeed, if other branches of medicine were to follow the example of psychiatry, "pain" would be self-evidently an "illness", it would be "treated" exclusively with massively toxic doses of poorly tested painkillers, and anyone who questioned the diagnosis of "pain" would be accused of being superstitiously ignorant of modern, enlightened, scientific progress, and of callously denying the real suffering of patients diagnosed with "pain".

I think this is overly cynical. Don't most professionals recommend therapy, or therapy and drugs?

I have noticed some people with a bias against the medical establishment. Maybe you are right, but don't you have to consider the importance of providing substantial evidence when it comes to something that can be as life or death as whether a person trusts their doctor or not?
Twirlip

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:28 pm
@Jebediah,
Quote:
I have noticed some people with a bias against the medical establishment.
I have noticed some people with a bias in favour of it.

(If I were to write on this topic at length - which I don't propose to do just yet - I would note that almost all the experienced psychiatrists I have met, in my long "career" as a patient, have been nice, intelligent, open-minded, non-dogmatic people who were aware of the limitations of the "medical model", and not usually too concerned to force damaging physical treatment on me. General medical practitioners are another matter altogether. And the very worst "treatment" I have ever seen meted out to anybody - myself and others - was at the hands of some "psychotherapists" without medical qualifications who had previously been associated with R. D. Laing. Mental health is a complex and deep subject, as well as a highly emotive one, and I do not at all propose to oversimplify it; nor do I write about it lightly, or without extensive experience.)
Pyrrho

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:33 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;140345 wrote:
Wait, let me get this straight...

You present to me a particular case where the act of getting a tattoo would be taboo and greatly frowned upon, and then from there you somehow place the act of getting a tattoo on equal grounding to losing a loved one, and then thereby tell me I would be inconsistent if I didn't have the same answer for both.

Are you kidding me?

So, you imagine that a parent worrying that their child doing something that will cause them to burn in hellfire for eternity is not going to be maximally upsetting to them? Are you kidding me?

Different things upset different people. Consequently, some people doing some things does not upset their parents at all, some other people doing the same things upsets their parents a little, and some other people doing the same things upsets their parents greatly. Now, if things ought not be done based on the level of how much it upsets people, the thing being done is, in itself, totally irrelevant and immaterial to the issue.

Zetherin;140345 wrote:
They could be being inconsiderate for getting a tattoo, sure. Is that enough to refrain from getting a tattoo? That depends on the person. Me personally, barring any odd circumstances? No.

But the pain felt from losing a loved on is different than the pain caused from getting a tattoo. Even in the cases you mention. Somehow you think we're arguing religion here. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with religion. I'm talking about the loss of life here, man. The loss of a loved one, especially a child.

According to traditional Christianity, Hell is forever. Absolutely nothing in this life can compare with that. So being upset that someone will burn forever is going to be about as upsetting as anything can get.

It seems that you have little ability to empathize with others on this. If something is trivial to you, you seem to imagine that it is trivial to everyone else. That is simply false, and you should know it. Likewise, something being important to you may be trivial to someone else.

So, again, if things ought not be done based on the level of how much it upsets people, the thing being done is, in itself, totally irrelevant and immaterial to the issue.

Zetherin;140345 wrote:
Not everyone that believes suicide is wrong is brainwashed, my friend. I don't know why you have the impression everyone that is against suicide, in some particular circumstance, is advocating anything religious per se. ...

What I was saying on that is that religion affects cultural attitudes, and so there are cultural attitudes that are common among people in the relevant culture, even if those people do not themselves share the religious foundation for the beliefs. In this particular instance, we can see that in non-Christian cultures, very often there is a markedly different attitude toward suicide than in Christian cultures. Traditional Japan, or pre-Christian Rome are a couple of examples of places where people were not against suicide as they tend to be in places like the contemporary U.S., which has a strong Christian influence, both historically and currently.

The fact that no one has ever produced a good argument against suicide is sufficient to establish that it is cultural prejudice rather than reason that sets people against it.
0 Replies

Deckard

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:38 pm
@Twirlip,
Hume's solution to the problem of poverty and health care?

Quote:
"To you it belongs to repine at providence, who foolishly imagine that you have no such power, and who must still prolong a hated being, tho' loaded with pain and sickness, with shame and poverty...
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:41 pm
@Karpowich,
Pyrrho wrote:

Different things upset different people. Consequently, some people doing some things does not upset their parents at all, some other people doing the same things upsets their parents a little, and some other people doing the same things upsets their parents greatly. Now, if things ought not be done based on the level of how much it upsets people, the thing being done is, in itself, totally irrelevant and immaterial to the issue.

Why can't an argument be made for each and every family, for each and every instance? The same thing may be wrong in one case, but not be wrong in another, due to the specifics of each case. Why is that unreasonable? I prefer not to look at "getting a tattoo" or "committing suicide" as generalities. Instead, I prefer to look at the specific cases. Suicide may not be wrong at all in some cases, but it could be a completely inconsiderate or irresponsible act in another.

Perhaps you are too scared to be inconsistent, that you are applying a general nature to these actions. I don't think we should do that with these sorts of things. But maybe this is a personal thing: I'm comfortable being considered inconsistent, if it allows me to consider each case individually. So, you're right about the tattoo thing - I would really have to evaluate that household to come to a conclusion I would be comfortable with.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:46 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;124989 wrote:
That's not really true.

It doesn't go: bad thing happens --> unhappiness

It goes: bad thing happens --> belief about that thing --> unhappiness/other

Our beliefs and feeling have an effect on whether the events (which we can't control sometimes) make us unhappy or not. And our thoughts can effect our beliefs and feelings.

This is why therapy can be effective, and why 9 year olds shouldn't commit suicide.

:perplexed: Can u i-magine Dr.Phil as your therapist ?
He should be prose/ off TV
Dangerous biased faker:eek:
0 Replies

LittleMathYou

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:53 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;140310 wrote:
Whether people have children or not affects the population, and that does affect you. Since we have more than enough people in the world now, the reality is that having children because you want them is more selfish than not having them because you don't want them. But this is going off topic.

Pretty much everything you do has an effect on those who care about you. But that does not mean that others have a right to run your life for you. You are (or should be) free to ruin your life if you want to do so. Many people do ruin their lives in various ways, and yet usually these things are not thought of in the same way as suicide. If I were to decide to do basically nothing but drink too much for the rest of my life, how do you think that would affect those who care about me? Do you seriously believe that that would be better for them than killing myself quickly? Do you believe that I should have the right to decide for myself if I will do basically nothing but drink or not?

And they can also lead long, miserable lives as well, though those who argue against suicide typically can't see that obvious fact. Many people do live long horrible lives, and they could have avoided living long horrible lives by cutting their lives short. Really, suicide is a better choice than many choices people have made, so it is absurd to condemn it more than those worse choices.

Suicide is never a "good" choice. Its an easy choice, but never a good one. It hurts others, and ends the possibility to receive joy. Life is hard, sometimes a lot harder than it has to be. But we have to deal with it.
Deckard

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 11:18 pm
@LittleMathYou,
LittleMathYou;140368 wrote:
Suicide is never a "good" choice. Its an easy choice, but never a good one. It hurts others, and ends the possibility to receive joy. Life is hard, sometimes a lot harder than it has to be. But we have to deal with it.

I have to admit that Samurai's make it seem so bad-ass though. Maybe I can make that into a point of some sort. There are many different kinds of suicide. The Samurai is probably not the best example but a soldier who jumps on a grenade to save his platoon (rather than running like heck); or the soldier who goes on a suicide mission, are types of suicides too and certainly extremely honorable ones. Suicide bombers and Kamikaze pilots are honorable according to those who carry them out. It's relative I guess. Hume's position on suicide is also relative to a certain set of values. But in the case of the tragic suicide of the 9 year old, I am not prepared to say that his "choice" was relative to a set of values since it was an act of desperation and I think in such desperate states of mind values fall away and suicide becomes more a thing that happened to him rather than something he chose. Hopefully the lawyers of heaven employed the insanity defense and kept him from the eternal fires (metaphorically speaking).
0 Replies

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 07:29 am
@LittleMathYou,
Suicide is never a "good" choice.

Suicide can be the best possible choice. And it does have this great good: It eliminates all possibility of future suffering. Virtually no other choice can have such a good outcome as that.

Its an easy choice, but never a good one.

Nonsense. There is a very strong instinct against suicide. It is never an easy choice to make, or suicide would be the most common outcome of an angst-ridden adolescence. Even when suicide is clearly the best choice, such as when one is a captured prisoner who is going to be tortured to death, people find it difficult to kill themselves. You desperately need to study some human psychology if you believe it is an easy choice.

It hurts others, and ends the possibility to receive joy.

How others feel is up to them, not you. They may be "hurt" by any action you take whatsoever, but you still must decide how you will run your life. Indeed, no matter what you do, someone is not going to like it. Just try completely pleasing a Muslim and a Christian, or even a Catholic and a Lutheran, and you will discover the fact that all choices involve "hurting" others.

As for ending the possibility to receive joy, it also ends the possibility to receive pain. Usually, that is the reason to select it when it is selected.

Life is hard, sometimes a lot harder than it has to be. But we have to deal with it.

One way to deal with it is by ending it.
Twirlip

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 09:20 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;140545 wrote:
How others feel is up to them, not you. They may be "hurt" by any action you take whatsoever, but you still must decide how you will run your life. Indeed, no matter what you do, someone is not going to like it.

Are you arguing that not just suicide, but any other choice of how to lead one's own life (including, say, sexual expression, and of course also including this decision not to go on leading one's own life) - in a word, authenticity - overrides all other moral considerations?

(I've ruled out two other possibilities as very unlikely: (i) you are proposing a special moral theory applicable to the question of suicide alone; (ii) you are saying that it doesn't, or it shouldn't, matter how a person's actions affect anyone else.)

I'm interested in this question, because I have allowed moral (and other) considerations to override what seemed as if it would be the authentic decision to end my own life. Authenticity can be traded off against other considerations; but it is terrible to have to do so. (I'm not proposing any theory of my own here, just sketching a bit of personal background, in case the intent of my question isn't clear.)
Zetherin

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 09:28 am
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;140570 wrote:
Are you arguing that not just suicide, but any other choice of how to lead one's own life (including, say, sexual expression, and of course also including this decision not to go on leading one's own life) - in a word, authenticity - overrides all other moral considerations?

(I've ruled out two other possibilities as very unlikely: (i) you are proposing a special moral theory applicable to the question of suicide alone; (ii) you are saying that it doesn't, or it shouldn't, matter how a person's actions affect anyone else.)

I'm interested in this question, because I have allowed moral (and other) considerations to override what seemed as if it would be the authentic decision to end my own life. Authenticity can be traded off against other considerations; but it is terrible to have to do so. (I'm not proposing any theory of my own here, just sketching a bit of personal background, in case the intent of my question isn't clear.)

It seems as though he is seeking a general argument that can be used against suicide. The thing is, though, I think it depends on the specific case. Perhaps with one case there may not be any emotional pain caused (maybe someone didn't have any living loved ones), but in another there may be much pain caused. In some circumstances, even if the suicide would cause a great deal of pain to others, it may still be understandable. For instance, if someone is held captive and tortured. Isn't it important we take these things into account?

With that said, I don't see how the argument 'suicide causes a great deal of pain' could not be used in some cases. I think it could. Again, it's back to consideration, and, in some cases, responsibility.
0 Replies

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 09:43 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;140362 wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:

Why can't an argument be made for each and every family, for each and every instance?

If I understand your question, that would mean that sometimes suicide would be a very good thing, if the family approved of it.

Zetherin wrote:
The same thing may be wrong in one case, but not be wrong in another, due to the specifics of each case. Why is that unreasonable?

If the principle of action is, one ought not upset one's family, then what would be right or wrong would vary from one family to the next, and even vary within a family, as an action may be disliked if one member does it but not if another does the same action. However, I see no reason to give this principle any special status. If we say, we ought not upset them unnecessarily, then the issue is going to be, what counts as necessary? Necessary for what?

I would agree that one ought not generally do things for the purpose of upsetting one's family, but I do not agree with the idea that upsetting one's family is an overriding principle that one should slavishly follow.

Zetherin;140362 wrote:
I prefer not to look at "getting a tattoo" or "committing suicide" as generalities. Instead, I prefer to look at the specific cases. Suicide may not be wrong at all in some cases, but it could be a completely inconsiderate or irresponsible act in another.

It may be inconsiderate or irresponsible in some cases, but just because it may involve others in emotional pain, it does not follow that the person took that lightly. It may have been done with due consideration for the feelings of others, even if it hurts them. If a gay person decides to live a homosexual lifestyle, even though the parents are greatly upset, believing their offspring is going straight to hell, that may still be a considerate choice, as one may give their feelings due consideration in deciding what to do. The suffering of the parents is only one thing to consider, not the totality of the matter at all. How living one's own life affects oneself is another consideration, which should generally be given greater force due to the fact that it affects oneself more than it affects others.

Zetherin;140362 wrote:
Perhaps you are too scared to be inconsistent, that you are applying a general nature to these actions. I don't think we should do that with these sorts of things. But maybe this is a personal thing: I'm comfortable being considered inconsistent, if it allows me to consider each case individually. So, you're right about the tattoo thing - I would really have to evaluate that household to come to a conclusion I would be comfortable with.

I would be comfortable saying, if the person in question is an adult, the person needs to live one's own life, and not give up getting a tattoo if it is very important to the person, no matter how the parents feel about it. I do not, however, think that it should be done for the purpose of upsetting the parents, nor do I really think that getting a tattoo should be regarded as important. (Nor do I like tattoos at all, and recommend that everyone refrain from getting such silly scars on their bodies.) The point is, people must live with their own choices, and as they generally affect themselves more than anyone else, then that is generally more important than how others feel about it. If something is trivial to you, but important to those around you, then you should probably do as others would have you do. But if the matter is very important to you, then how others feel about it is relatively insignificant, providing that we are talking about something not done to anyone else. Thus, getting a tattoo, marrying without the approval of family and friends (though obviously, only with the informed consent of the person one is marrying), or any other thing not done to others, is something that one should decide for oneself, with more regard for one's own preferences than for the preferences of others.

Now, the principle above I would apply only to things that do not involve actually doing something to someone else, as I stated in post 42. Deciding to tattoo one's parents without their permission is not something of which I would approve, no matter how much one wants to do it. But if getting a tattoo yourself is the most important thing in the world to you, then I think you should feel free to get one, no matter what anyone else thinks of the matter. (And including me thinking that the person is a fool for regarding something like that as being so very important, and for wanting such a thing at all. It is not my body, so my opinion on the matter is of little importance to the issue. Likewise, it is not the body of the parents either, so they should have no say in the matter, once one is an adult.)

In general, my opinion of the matter fits in with the law in the U.S. regarding most things, as an adult may get a tattoo without the permission of the parents, and without regard to their opinions at all, and one may marry anyone without parental or family approval, and etc. I differ from the law on the subject of suicide, which I believe should be regarded like any other decision that people make. I do not think it is such a special case as many seem to believe, and I do not think it should be excluded from general principles regarding how one should conduct one's life.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 10:00 am
@Karpowich,
Just finished reading. I now understand your position more clearly, Pyrrho, thanks.

I suppose we differ on this key point:

Pyrrho wrote:

But if the matter is very important to you, then how others feel about it is relatively insignificant, providing that we are talking about something not done to anyone else.

I think that, in some cases, it is wrong to act on a desire if it is inconsiderate to another. For instance, I once desired to date a girl that my best friend was in love with. I knew that if I had dated her, it would have hurt him greatly as he had strong feelings for her. In this case, I think it would have been wrong if I attempted to date her.

Quote:

Thus, getting a tattoo, marrying without the approval of family and friends (though obviously, only with the informed consent of the person one is marrying), or any other thing not done to others, is something that one should decide for oneself, with more regard for one's own preferences than for the preferences of others.

I simply cannot always agree with this. Sometimes I feel it's more important to consider the feelings of others before my own. So, sometimes I think it right to place my preference on the backburner.

By the way, I am not saying what is contrary to argue with you. These are personal opinions, I think. I am just glad that I understand you now (at least I believe I do).