Definition of Reality

MMP2506

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:17 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;127644 wrote:
Are we talking about free will, or just freedom in general?

Do you see them as different concepts? And if so could you explain?
(Not trying to be smug, serious question)
TickTockMan

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:25 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;127645 wrote:
Do you see them as different concepts? And if so could you explain?
(Not trying to be smug, serious question)

Just seeing if anyone was paying attention.
0 Replies

Scottydamion

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 05:53 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;127631 wrote:
I am saying that right and wrong doesn't exist as polar opposites. There are traces of each in both. What is right, is what leads to pure happiness, and not merely pleasure.

And it is a no-brainer. As it should be, any rational idea is very easy to understand.

I can't imagine an authentic unhappiness, as I see any unhappiness as being inauthentic. You don't find many unhappy Tibetan Monks, despite what circumstances they may be living in.

Angst arises from too many irrational choices. If the rational choice was available, then there would be no need for angst.

The sad history of humankind is that angst often arises from any number of choices, whether or not they are rational. The real question concerning angst is if they are irrational to the person making the choices, and rationality comes in many forms on this diverse planet.

"What is right, is what leads to pure happiness, and not merely pleasure."
What if happiness is a means of control? It is no doubt good on a certain level to strive to be happy, but on a deeper level does the question of what drives us to be happy not arise? I think it possible to shape what makes one happy, and therefore not only is happiness a good pursuit, but also the pursuit of a certain road to happiness.
jeeprs

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 01:55 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;127686 wrote:
What if happiness is a means of control? It is no doubt good on a certain level to strive to be happy, but on a deeper level does the question of what drives us to be happy not arise? I think it possible to shape what makes one happy, and therefore not only is happiness a good pursuit, but also the pursuit of a certain road to happiness.

But isn't this why there needs to be some sense of the ultimate value? In the Buddhist view, the goal of the path is going beyond all suffering. It is a real goal with a real means. I think Christianity has lost sight of it to a great extent because there is no way of knowing whether the goal has been or is being achieved. You have to just believe. But the Buddhist attitude is that "The Dharma is able to bestow timeless and immediate results here and now, for which there is no need to wait until the future or next existence".

In other words, there needs to be something normative in all of this. Otherwise it is just aimless. Whether it is derived from Greek philosophy or some other source, there must be some way out of the maze. If 'reality' is just what everyone sees and knows, how is there any philosophy? Everyone is a philosopher and there is no difference between wisdom and folly.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 03:51 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;127783 wrote:

In other words, there needs to be something normative in all of this. Otherwise it is just aimless. Whether it is derived from Greek philosophy or some other source, there must be some way out of the maze. If 'reality' is just what everyone sees and knows, how is there any philosophy? Everyone is a philosopher and there is no difference between wisdom and folly.

If philosophy can consist in the understanding of what one sees and knows, then there can be philosophy. Particularly if the philosopher investigates what it is to see and to know. That, after all, is his job. Think of it that way, and you can understand "modern philosophy". (For understanding the nature of philosophy is also an important part of the job of a philosopher. Indeed, philosophers like Kant, and like Wittgenstein, thought it was the most important part of philosophy). It might also be wise to try to tone down your own preconceptions of what philosophy is about, and consider the views of others who may have considered that question more intensely than you have. Particularly since you have already allowed that you are not really so much interested in philosophy so much as you are interested in what you call, "spirituality".
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 04:21 am
@housby,
I do consider the views of others. Otherwise I would not have responded to 1800 odd posts on the forum. But you are right. I am tendentious in many ways. I think I am going to spend more time reading and less time arguing.
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 08:02 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;127544 wrote:
... then I think you're using the wrong words to express what you mean ... if each of these presents a different face of a thing and at the same time each are the thing, then this thing is not a concept ... perhaps "concept" is the closest word to what you are trying to convey, but I think you're going to run into the same problem Schopenhauer ran into when he made the poor choice of "will" as a name ... but even with a better word choice, I think the fact that this thing you are speaking of appears to break all the rules of mereology (i.e., "being" is at once both the thing and a part of the thing, and the same for "perception", et al., while each remains different from the other) renders it pretty mystical - it sounds more like a Zen koan that is intended to make you think, than an actual claim about the nature of reality ...

... having had a bit of time to digest this, I think the key to understanding this thing (at least for me) is its origin ... and unless I'm mistaken, its origin is quantum mechanics (something else that sounds more like a Zen koan Smile) ... so if this thing is an inference from quantum mechanics, then perhaps the best name for it is "quantum being" ... and in that respect, whereas quantum mechanics is said through analogy with the classical to be wave-like and particle-like, perhaps a better way to state things is to say that quantum being is, through similar analogy, "classical-being-like" and "perception-like", etc.

But the question then is, is quantum being any more an indicator of what classical being is than quantum mechanics is an indicator of classical mechanics? ... that is, given that the classical behavior (e.g., determinism) that emerges from quantum (e.g., random) interactions ("more is different") is so different than that from which it emerges, is it logical to infer that classical being must be anything like quantum being? ... (I would hazard to guess not).

Where this could get really interesting, though, is when you combine quantum behavior with classical behavior ... presumably, there was a time (perhaps a fraction of a second after the big bang) when the only behavior that existed was quantum behavior - quantum behavior was (as far as behavior goes) monistic ... but as soon as these quanta started to interact with one another, out emerged classical behavior ... so now you have quantum-quantum (random) interactions going on as well as classical-classical (deterministic) interactions going on ... but what about the possibility of quantum-classical interactions? (that's what's cool about the creativity of the universe - as soon as it creates one new thing, it also creates the exponential possibility for the next new thing Smile) ... photosynthesis is the actuality of this quantum-classical possibility - photosynthesis fuses the quantum with the classical to produce behavior that is more efficient at capturing solar energy than a purely quantum or purely classical behavior alone ever could ... so does the actuality of quantum-classical behavior imply the possibility of quantum-classical being? ... and is this mode of being yet again something emergent? - something entirely different in nature than what it emerges from? Smile

Under these monstrously speculative premises, an example of quantum being is electron being ... an example of classical being is rock being ... is life an example of quantum-classical being?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 09:26 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;127838 wrote:
... having had a bit of time to digest this, I think the key to understanding this thing (at least for me) is its origin ... and unless I'm mistaken, its origin is quantum mechanics (something else that sounds more like a Zen koan Smile) ... so if this thing is an inference from quantum mechanics, then perhaps the best name for it is "quantum being" ... and in that respect, whereas quantum mechanics is said through analogy with the classical to be wave-like and particle-like, perhaps a better way to state things is to say that quantum being is, through similar analogy, "classical-being-like" and "perception-like", etc.

But the question then is, is quantum being any more an indicator of what classical being is than quantum mechanics is an indicator of classical mechanics? ... that is, given that the classical behavior (e.g., determinism) that emerges from quantum (e.g., random) interactions ("more is different") is so different than that from which it emerges, is it logical to infer that classical being must be anything like quantum being? ... (I would hazard to guess not).

Where this could get really interesting, though, is when you combine quantum behavior with classical behavior ... presumably, there was a time (perhaps a fraction of a second after the big bang) when the only behavior that existed was quantum behavior - quantum behavior was (as far as behavior goes) monistic ... but as soon as these quanta started to interact with one another, out emerged classical behavior ... so now you have quantum-quantum (random) interactions going on as well as classical-classical (deterministic) interactions going on ... but what about the possibility of quantum-classical interactions? (that's what's cool about the creativity of the universe - as soon as it creates one new thing, it also creates the exponential possibility for the next new thing Smile) ... photosynthesis is the actuality of this quantum-classical possibility - photosynthesis fuses the quantum with the classical to produce behavior that is more efficient at capturing solar energy than a purely quantum or purely classical behavior alone ever could ... so does the actuality of quantum-classical behavior imply the possibility of quantum-classical being? ... and is this mode of being yet again something emergent? - something entirely different in nature than what it emerges from? Smile

Under these monstrously speculative premises, an example of quantum being is electron being ... an example of classical being is rock being ... is life an example of quantum-classical being?

There are certainly lots of different kinds of things in the world, and electrons are different from rocks, and living things are certainly very different from either of the other two. Is that what you are getting at?
MMP2506

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 12:04 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;127783 wrote:
But isn't this why there needs to be some sense of the ultimate value? In the Buddhist view, the goal of the path is going beyond all suffering. It is a real goal with a real means. I think Christianity has lost sight of it to a great extent because there is no way of knowing whether the goal has been or is being achieved. You have to just believe. But the Buddhist attitude is that "The Dharma is able to bestow timeless and immediate results here and now, for which there is no need to wait until the future or next existence".

Very true. There needs to be a universal.

The universal theme is a consistent one in religion, and has taken many incarnations, but I believe the basic essence has always been the same.

The Greeks recognized it as the Logos, early Christians saw it as JC, and later phenomenologists have identified it as simply authentic being. All three are pure essence, and are described as regulating forces in the world.

Just to clarify, when I say JC I don't mean the currently conceptualization of a human being, but the Word of God in which John the Baptist first described him as.

This universal theme is the guide out of the maze, if you will.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 01:13 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;127911 wrote:
Very true. There needs to be a universal.

The universal theme is a consistent one in religion, and has taken many incarnations, but I believe the basic essence has always been the same.

The Greeks recognized it as the Logos, early Christians saw it as JC, and later phenomenologists have identified it as simply authentic being. All three are pure essence, and are described as regulating forces in the world.

Just to clarify, when I say JC I don't mean the currently conceptualization of a human being, but the Word of God in which John the Baptist first described him as.

And what has this to do with the OP?
0 Replies

MMP2506

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 01:52 pm
@MMP2506,
kennethamy;127930 wrote:
And what has this to do with the OP?

MMP2506;127911 wrote:

jeeprs brought up the need for an ultimate value, or some normative to bring philosophies together.

The problem of universals has constantly addressed this need in different ways throughout history.

My point is that there is an underlying theme connecting these different manifesting universals through the story.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 02:30 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;127938 wrote:
jeeprs brought up the need for an ultimate value, or some normative to bring philosophies together.

The problem of universals has constantly addressed this need in different ways throughout history.

My point is that there is an underlying theme connecting these different manifesting universals through the story.

So, it had nothing to do with the OP. I was only wondering whether it was worth paying attention to.
MMP2506

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 03:02 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127943 wrote:
So, it had nothing to do with the OP. I was only wondering whether it was worth paying attention to.

In a discussion that is over 50 pages long, the topic will stray a bit away from it's original intention. It is all necessarily connected, therefore there is meaning to be understood from every post. Whether or not you are intuitive enough to understand where each post fits into the greater intention of the forum is dependent upon the depth of your individual background knowledge concerning the information in the OP.

By labeling any post as "not worth paying attention to" you are severely restricting your own ability to understand any other point of view besides your own, in which case you might as well be writing to yourself in a Word doc.
Reconstructo

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 04:37 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;122548 wrote:
"What is reality" is one of those questions J.L. Austin called, "asking about nothing in particular". No wonder it is what the French call a "cri de coeur" (a cry from the heart).

I disagree. To me this attempted negation of grand questions is the rhetoric of cowardice. It's as shallow as Marx reducing religion to an opiate. It's rationalized prejudice. What a convenient dodge, too. "Let's pretend that all the tough questions are meaningless."
paulhanke

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 05:15 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127869 wrote:
There are certainly lots of different kinds of things in the world, and electrons are different from rocks, and living things are certainly very different from either of the other two. Is that what you are getting at?

... nope - electrons and rocks are used merely as examples in that post ...
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 05:52 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;127975 wrote:
I disagree. To me this attempted negation of grand questions is the rhetoric of cowardice. It's as shallow as Marx reducing religion to an opiate. It's rationalized prejudice. What a convenient dodge, too. "Let's pretend that all the tough questions are meaningless."

Very well, then. What is it to eat mashed potatoes? That is also one of those questions about nothing in particular. Can you answer it? Is it one of those "tough questions"?
Reconstructo

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 06:48 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127998 wrote:
Very well, then. What is it to eat mashed potatoes? That is also one of those questions about nothing in particular. Can you answer it? Is it one of those "tough questions"?

I don't know, man. Feels like a weak response.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 07:00 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;128017 wrote:
I don't know, man. Feels like a weak response.

Feelings, whatever you happen to feel, are a poor judge of truth. The point is that the "big questions" are largely too vague to admit of a sensible answer.
housby

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:20 am
@kennethamy,
Hello all,
Little did I know that my original thread would run to so many pages. I feel that it is time for me to bow out for the time being due to the fact that I do have a life (real or otherwise). I simply can't keep up with a thread that seems to move on 5 or 6 pages every 12 hours, however I will keep an eye on it because it has been an extremely interesting, if volitile at times, debate.
Thanks to everyone who has or will contribute as it has enlightened and entertained me even when there has been argument (thanks Kenneth, you're a star).
By the way, judging by the speed and number of replies on this, do any of you guys have jobs to go to??? Only joking, carry on regardless.
0 Replies

housby

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:29 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;127953 wrote:
In a discussion that is over 50 pages long, the topic will stray a bit away from it's original intention. It is all necessarily connected, therefore there is meaning to be understood from every post. Whether or not you are intuitive enough to understand where each post fits into the greater intention of the forum is dependent upon the depth of your individual background knowledge concerning the information in the OP.

By labeling any post as "not worth paying attention to" you are severely restricting your own ability to understand any other point of view besides your own, in which case you might as well be writing to yourself in a Word doc.

I said I was not going to post on this again, at least for a while, but this has brought me in again. It seems as though I am not the only one who thinks that Kennethamy has difficulty understanding anything other than his own point of view. And there I was thinking, foolishly it seems, that philosophy is not about defending a view but seeking whether that view is correct by open debate and the ability to actually listen.
One of the greatest things I have gained from starting this thread is the breadth and scope of opinion on the nature of reality. I have often repeated, too often in my opinion but it has been forced upon me, that my original question was not necessarily a reflection of my views but simply an open question born out of years of debate and personal thoughts. The fact is I don't know the nature of reality and I feel that, at least for the time being, we cannot know. Maybe quantum physics and the LHC at Cern will one day change that but for the time being we are stuck with what we have. The idea that a thread debating the fundamental nature of reality itself can have posts that are not relevant seems, on the face of it, quite bizarre. Reality, by it's very nature, will allow all views and opinions.
I can only hope that as this thread runs it's course and eventually winds down, as indeed all things do, all those who contribute will be listened to and their views respected. I hope that all who have taken part, or even just followed without contribution, will take away something more than they arrived with. Then it will have been a worthwhile thread.
For those who think that this forum is simply a place to air their views and defend them whilst attempting, at every given oportunity, to shoot down the views of others I suggest they join a political debating forum. Philosophy is about the ability to learn from debate, not prove how "clever" you are by arguing against every post that doesn't fit in to your scheme of things.
As I have said so many times before, you may disagree with another's view but the first rule of philosophy, in my opinion, is to consider what the other person has said before trying to defend your own view. It doesn't do any harm either to actually read properly what others are saying before launching attacks on what has not been said.
0 Replies