Definition of Reality

pagan

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 02:04 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
MMP2506
People who are raised to believe that the world exists a certain way, no matter how irrational it may be, have a very hard time conceptualizing the mere possibility that there are other ways. It is quite frightening to them.
yes. i have tried to signal this many times in this thread. It can be very frightening.

eg
People who are raised to believe that the world exists a certain way, no matter how rational it may be, have a very hard time conceptualizing the mere possibility that there are other ways. It is quite frightening to them.

Many of us feel we are intellectual open minded philosophical types who revel oh so delightfully in the excitement of having our 'concepts' of the world turned upside down. We occassionally catch ourselves being a bit competitive, but hey ho all is playful discovery. And most of the time perhaps it is ......... right up to the moment when our world is 'really' turned upside down. Then we discover that we weren't quite so open minded as we thought. We suddenly confront a chasm or a truth that knocks us for six.

If you recognise some truth in this, then consider how a person would react if they got an inkling that a catastrophic chasm or truth were coming their way? Catastrophic in conception/relationship/perception/being of reality and identity. It is possible to use our intuition to tell how excited or fearful someone is.

Quote:
MMP2506
Therefore, all we can do is try do ease the transition as slow as possible and hope to change as many perspectives as we can along the way.
MMP2506

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 02:15 pm
@pagan,
pagan;127575 wrote:
yes. i have tried to signal this many times in this thread. It can be very frightening.

eg
People who are raised to believe that the world exists a certain way, no matter how rational it may be, have a very hard time conceptualizing the mere possibility that there are other ways. It is quite frightening to them.

Many of us feel we are intellectual open minded philosophical types who revel oh so delightfully in the excitement of having our 'concepts' of the world turned upside down. We occassionally catch ourselves being a bit competitive, but hey ho all is playful discovery. And most of the time perhaps it is ......... right up to the moment when our world is 'really' turned upside down. Then we discover that we weren't quite so open minded as we thought. We suddenly confront a chasm or a truth that knocks us for six.

If you recognise some truth in this, then consider how a person would react if they got an inkling that a catastrophic chasm or truth were coming their way? Catastrophic in conception/relationship/perception/being of reality and identity. It is possible to use our intuition to tell how excited or fearful someone is.

Very true, I find my own perspective changing quite frequently as I come to terms with certain rationalities or irrationalities. Knowledge is a constant evolutionary flux of activity. Many people are stuck in the static of modern science and are unable to recognize this truth.

The problem for many is their world works too well for them; many times it takes a massive re-realization for one to understand the irrationality in which one is living.

This is why many phenomenologists view anxiety and angst as the beginnings of authentic being. These feelings are proof that there is indeed something wrong, that needs fixing, and it is human nature to fix what it wrong. Thus a more rational view of the world must be adopted out of survival.
pagan

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 02:21 pm
@MMP2506,
Quote:
MMP2506
This is why many phenomenologists view anxiety and angst as the beginnings of authentic being. These feelings are proof that there is indeed something wrong, that needs fixing, and it is human nature to fix what it wrong. Thus a more rational view of the world must be adopted out of survival.
yes i strongly agree ... though crucially i would add

Thus a more rational or irrational view of the world must be adopted out of survival. Depending on the person and their circumstance.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 02:25 pm
@pagan,
pagan;127578 wrote:

Thus a more rational or irrational view of the world must be adopted out of survival. Depending on the person and their circumstance.
0 Replies

TickTockMan

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 02:26 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;127563 wrote:
fundamental relations between things, witch in their turn, themselves . . .

Speaking of words, the correct spelling for this in the usage you are intending is "which" not "witch." A "witch" is a "bruxa". Or is it "bruja"? I'm not sure.

I'm not making fun. Your English is far better than my Portuguese, but I thought you might want to know, for future reference.
MMP2506

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 02:28 pm
@pagan,
pagan;127578 wrote:

Right you are; however, I do not believe the path is randomly chosen.

If one is in the midst of despair, and chooses a path based on rationality, then the evolution of ideas will give him a calmer disposition to himself. On the other side, however, if one begins with an irrational base, then one will never truly find that contention with being, as feelings of anxiety will continue to arise based on the irrationality.

Therefore, if one truly wants to avoid being consumed by his own despair, he must inevitably find truth, i.e. the rational path, in order to truly survive. Otherwise he will be living in a very inauthentic existence.

---------- Post added 02-12-2010 at 02:30 PM ----------

Fil. Albuquerque;127579 wrote:

Meaning can be found in all aspects of life! Religion is merely the dominant force over the matter.

Truth is not merely a construct, truth is necessary and exists in all walks of life.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 02:31 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;127580 wrote:
Speaking of words, the correct spelling for this in the usage you are intending is "which" not "witch." A "witch" is a "bruxa". Or is it "bruja"? I'm not sure.

I'm not making fun. Your English is far better than my Portuguese, but I thought you might want to know, for future reference.
0 Replies

pagan

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 02:32 pm
@MMP2506,
well MMP2506 i, like many others recognise the cultural supremacy of rationality from the post enlightenment as creating a great deal of angst.

---------- Post added 02-12-2010 at 08:34 PM ----------

lol well said TickTockMan, though as a pagan i rather liked the double meaning of Fil. Albuquerque's witches Smile
MMP2506

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 02:36 pm
@pagan,
Of course, it depends on your definition of rationality.

I am stuck within the classic concept of reason, so what I consider reasonable and rational may not be to most. Although, I am quite content with this phenomena, as I feel it gives me a bit more intimate connection with the classic philosophers that many today are unable to have.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 02:49 pm
@pagan,
pagan;127585 wrote:
well MMP2506 i, like many others recognise the cultural supremacy of rationality from the post enlightenment as creating a great deal of angst.

...For those who like a good reading example on this, pick up Fernando Pessoa best book, "The Book of Disquiet" its well worth it...one of the ten best readings in the world...

here is an Introduction:
Link: Amazon.com: The Book of Disquiet (Penguin Classics) (9780141183046): Fernando Pessoa, Richard Zenith: Books
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:35 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;127546 wrote:

No. How is, "I want two eggs, sunny-side up" a code? It does not need to be deciphered by an English speaker.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:39 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127610 wrote:
No. How is, "I want two eggs, sunny-side up" a code? It does not need to be deciphered by an English speaker.

(no comments)Very Happy:cool::rolleyes:
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:43 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127610 wrote:

An English speaker/listener can also be described as an English coder/decoder. The "code" metaphor is a fair offering in this context, I think.
MMP2506

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:48 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127610 wrote:

But it would by a non-English speaker.:bigsmile:
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:50 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;127613 wrote:
An English speaker/listener can also be described as an English coder/decoder. The "code" metaphor is a fair offering in this context, I think.

Any particular reason?

---------- Post added 02-12-2010 at 04:51 PM ----------

MMP2506;127619 wrote:
But it would by a non-English speaker.:bigsmile:

And? ..................
0 Replies

TickTockMan

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:51 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;127577 wrote:

The problem for many is their world works too well for them; many times it takes a massive re-realization for one to understand the irrationality in which one is living.

Thank you, Morpheus. Is it the red pill or the blue pill I'm supposed to take? I can never remember.
I am decoding your words to mean that you think you are right in your view, and others are wrong.

MMP2506;127577 wrote:

Or, it is evidence of simply being dissatisfied with one's life.
If you are authentically unhappy with your life, of course something is wrong. This doesn't strike me as particularly deep or profound. Kind of a no-brainer, really.

I thought angst had more to do with the realization that one always has choices: to either continue to walk along the cliff edge, or to throw oneself off.
MMP2506

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:02 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;127624 wrote:
Thank you, Morpheus. Is it the red pill or the blue pill I'm supposed to take? I can never remember.
I am decoding your words to mean that you think you are right in your view, and others are wrong.

Or, it is evidence of simply being dissatisfied with one's life.
If you are authentically unhappy with your life, of course something is wrong. This doesn't strike me as particularly deep or profound. Kind of a no-brainer, really.

I thought angst had more to do with the realization that one always has choices: to either continue to walk along the cliff edge, or to throw oneself off.

I am saying that right and wrong doesn't exist as polar opposites. There are traces of each in both. What is right, is what leads to pure happiness, and not merely pleasure.

And it is a no-brainer. As it should be, any rational idea is very easy to understand.

I can't imagine an authentic unhappiness, as I see any unhappiness as being inauthentic. You don't find many unhappy Tibetan Monks, despite what circumstances they may be living in.

Angst arises from too many irrational choices. If the rational choice was available, then there would be no need for angst.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:05 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;127624 wrote:

I fail to realize the logic in this...

...The difference between an adult and a child clearly demonstrates the opposite...the older you are the less free you realize you are...
MMP2506

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:07 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;127632 wrote:
I fail to realize the logic in this...

...The difference between an adult and a child clearly demonstrates the opposite...the older you are the less free you realize you are...

I would agree with you, however, I assume he is operating under a different definition of free will than you are. Just a heads up!
TickTockMan

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:16 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;127634 wrote:
I would agree with you, however, I assume he is operating under a different definition of free will than you are. Just a heads up!

Are we talking about free will, or just freedom in general?