kennethamy

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:55 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;119919 wrote:
But his enjoying watching the team on the tele and feeling a sense of comradery with his peers, isn't good reason enough?

It might be. For instance, if he might get into trouble unless he had such a diversion. The circumstances are important. Perhaps all you mean is that there is no reason not to do it. But that there is no reason not to do it does not seem to me a reason to do it.
Zetherin

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:02 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;119921 wrote:
It might be. For instance, if he might get into trouble unless he had such a diversion. The circumstances are important. Perhaps all you mean is that there is no reason not to do it. But that there is no reason not to do it does not seem to me a reason to do it.

What I mean is that we do many things, which, I don't think, we need to provide a good reason for doing. He enjoyed watching the game and feeling a sense of comradery. What if there's nothing else to it? He just enjoys it. No underlying reason like he might get into trouble otherwise. At this point, how would you conclude?
kennethamy

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:09 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;119925 wrote:
What I mean is that we do many things, which, I don't think, we need to provide a good reason for doing. He enjoyed watching the game and feeling a sense of comradery. What if there's nothing else to it? He just enjoys it. No underlying reason like he might get into trouble otherwise. At this point, how would you conclude?

He did it because he likes doing it. That doesn't mean he has a reason for doing it, though. "Because I want to" is not a reason.
Jebediah

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:09 am
@Zetherin,
What I'm saying is that you are pragmatically justified.

Quote:
He did it because he likes doing it. That doesn't mean he has a reason for doing it, though.

It's fairly automatic if that's what you mean. Watch enough games and you start to feel it.
Zetherin

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:10 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;119930 wrote:
He did it because he likes doing it. That doesn't mean he has a reason for doing it, though.

Hm. Would it be silly of me to say that his reason for having done it, was because he liked doing it?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:10 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;119931 wrote:
What I'm saying is that you are pragmatically justified.

And that means?.............
Jebediah

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 03:57 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;119934 wrote:
And that means?.............

It's been a while since I read it, but I remember William James having "true" mean "whatever it is best for us to believe is true" or something like that. So by pragmatically justified, I meant that if it is better to have pride in your sports team, then you are justified.

You could argue that that isn't what justified means, but then what would be the real world difference of that argument? It wouldn't change whether it was better to root for the team or not. Unless you had a hang up about doing things that weren't justified in your own strict sense.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 04:54 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;120006 wrote:
It's been a while since I read it, but I remember William James having "true" mean "whatever it is best for us to believe is true" or something like that. So by pragmatically justified, I meant that if it is better to have pride in your sports team, then you are justified.

You could argue that that isn't what justified means, but then what would be the real world difference of that argument? It wouldn't change whether it was better to root for the team or not. Unless you had a hang up about doing things that weren't justified in your own strict sense.

Better than not having pride? By what criterion? That I feel better? How better?
Jebediah

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 05:08 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120018 wrote:
Better than not having pride? By what criterion? That I feel better? How better?

I mean, how do you make any judgments about your daily activities? Can you quantify how much better going to a movie or eating some tasty food makes you feel?

With sports in my experience, it's instinctive. So the choice is between watching sports and not watching sports. How far you take your fandom is an issue of course. I would hope that people can treat pragmatic justification and strict justification differently.
BrightNoon

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 05:11 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;119064 wrote:
(I put it in politics because it is our politics that show our national wills and enforce (enforce is a good word) enforce good virtue upon those who would be unvirtuous, you wont cant get away from your law, politics is your law or law in the making.
What is your future becoming? what history are you trying to get away from?)

Are you proud of your country, your place of birth, your birthright as a citizen?

What makes your country better than mine?

What makes it worse?

What brings you shame of your country nationality vote?

What dose your country contribute to the world and what does it steal?
(what would you give back? Elgin marbles, Macdonalds, etc)

Are you a citizen? Are you proud of your contry and dose it make you who you are? (prideful, shameful, veto)

Is your country better than mine?

What is the best counrty in the world?
(you can pick your own just give a reason)

Where would you choose to hold or be held nationality wise?

I am extraordinarily proud of the heritage of my country, the United States of America, and equally, and for the same reason, disgusted with what it has become. Yet, even now, I truly believe that if the future of this planet is to include freedom, it can only come from a determined effort by the U.S. to reform, return to its roots, and help spread those values through the world via trade and diplomacy, not war.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:02 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;120020 wrote:
I mean, how do you make any judgments about your daily activities? Can you quantify how much better going to a movie or eating some tasty food makes you feel?

With sports in my experience, it's instinctive. So the choice is between watching sports and not watching sports. How far you take your fandom is an issue of course. I would hope that people can treat pragmatic justification and strict justification differently.

Have you seen the film, The Big Fan?
Jebediah

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:16 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120026 wrote:
Have you seen the film, The Big Fan?

No, is that the one with patton oswalt? I heard him talking about something like that.
0 Replies