Zetherin

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 12:43 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;119697 wrote:
I did not say that looking something up in a dictionary was an end to all possible research into a term. However, for normal usage, it is a good place to start, and it can help one to know whether one is using a term properly or not.

But is pride a sensation, or is it just a term we use to describe a circumstance?
Pyrrho

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 12:50 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;119700 wrote:
But is pride a sensation, or is it just a term we use to describe a circumstance?

Pride is a positive feeling regarding self worth. For a slightly fuller explanation, see:

Pride Definition | Definition of Pride at Dictionary.com
kennethamy

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 01:08 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;119700 wrote:

I don't believe that "pride" is the same of specific kind of sensation like, "itch". There is, I suppose some kind of feeling that goes with the term, "pride", and we have descriptions like, "he swelled with pride", to go with it. But I think that pride must be a feeling within a set of circumstances. Whatever feeling we have, it cannot be the feeling of pride if, for instance, it is something we should be ashamed of. If I said, for instance, that I am "bursting with pride" because I failed my LSAT, or my state Bar Exam, I would have some explaining to do. Otherwise (no matter what my feeling happened to be) I would not be thought to know what the word "pride" means. It isn't as if, if I have some particular feeling, that feeling is the feeling of pride whatever the circumstances.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 01:09 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;119704 wrote:
Pride is a positive feeling regarding self worth. For a slightly fuller explanation, see:

Pride Definition | Definition of Pride at Dictionary.com

If it is a positive feeling, then we're back to the beetle problem kennethamy referenced. Right?

How can you be so sure that I am not feeling what you think I am not feeling?
kennethamy

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 01:13 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;119714 wrote:
If it is a positive feeling, then we're back to the beetle problem kennethamy referenced. Right?

But isn't that why Wittgenstein says that it would make no difference even if there were no beetle at all? It doesn't matter whether you are feeling what I am feeling according to Wittgenstein. (And I think W. would say the same thing about the inverted spectrum problem, too, which you were discussing a while ago).
Zetherin

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 01:20 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;119716 wrote:
But isn't that why Wittgenstein says that it would make no difference even if there were no beetle at all? It doesn't matter whether you are feeling what I am feeling according to Wittgenstein. (And I think W. would say the same thing about the inverted spectrum problem, too, which you were discussing a while ago).

But if you don't mean what I think you mean, and I don't mean what you think I mean, isn't there a problem with communication? Or does the fact that we're exchanging meaning at all, what makes this not matter?

Just because neither of us can give an exacting, all-encompassing definition of the word "game", does not mean we don't know what we mean when we use the word in a sentence. We do know what eachother mean, and that's all that matters, right?
Pyrrho

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 01:23 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;119714 wrote:

No.

Zetherin;119714 wrote:

I am not sure of what you are feeling. But whatever you are feeling, if it has no reference to self worth, it is not pride. I know that from the definition of "pride". This is very much like me knowing that you do not live in a cube shaped house that has 50 sides. (If it has 50 sides, it is not a cube shape. Notice, none of this requires me to know anything about what kind of house you actually live in, or even if you live in a house at all.)
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 01:31 pm
@sometime sun,
Pyrrho wrote:

I am not sure of what you are feeling. But whatever you are feeling, if it has no reference to self worth, it is not pride. I know that from the definition of "pride". This is very much like me knowing that you do not live in a cube shaped house that has 50 sides. (If it has 50 sides, it is not a cube shape. Notice, none of this requires me to know anything about what kind of house you actually live in, or even if you live in a house at all.)

But you do not know how many sides it has; you can't look in my box. And that's the point.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 02:30 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;119722 wrote:
But if you don't mean what I think you mean, and I don't mean what you think I mean, isn't there a problem with communication? Or does the fact that we're exchanging meaning at all, what makes this not matter?

Just because neither of us can give an exacting, all-encompassing definition of the word "game", does not mean we don't know what we mean when we use the word in a sentence. We do know what eachother mean, and that's all that matters, right?

It is that feelings are supposed to be private entities. Wittgenstein's argument that there is no essence which all games have which makes them games is a different issue from the private/public language we are now discussing.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 02:40 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;119743 wrote:
It is that feelings are supposed to be private entities. Wittgenstein's argument that there is no essence which all games have which makes them games is a different issue from the private/public language we are now discussing.

I somehow found the two relating to one another. Nevermind me.
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:45 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;119156 wrote:
Yes, but I am wondering at a more basic level; why would someone be proud of things that are beyond one's control, and are not a part of oneself? To give a trivial sort of example, why should someone be proud of the local athletic team, if they are not themselves part of the team? The team's performance is not a reflection on the person, so why would the person be proud of this?

Why not? I'm a sports fan, it's fun. You have to take the lows with the highs of course. And technically the fans buy tickets and provide home field advantage. No fans = no team.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 11:59 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;119811 wrote:
Why not? I'm a sports fan, it's fun. You have to take the lows with the highs of course. And technically the fans buy tickets and provide home field advantage. No fans = no team.

That it is fun may cause someone to take pride in the team. But the question is whether it justifies taking pride in the team.
Jebediah

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 12:37 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;119870 wrote:
That it is fun may cause someone to take pride in the team. But the question is whether it justifies taking pride in the team.

In this case, fun is justification. Taking irrational pride in something can be rational on the whole.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:11 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;119876 wrote:
In this case, fun is justification. Taking irrational pride in something can be rational on the whole.

Fun can't be justification if you can't take pride in something which you had nothing to do with; although it may cause you to take pride. Of course, seeking fun can cause you to do nearly anything. Like pulling off the wings of flies. But it would not justify you in pulling off the wings of flies, would it?
Zetherin

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:34 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;119892 wrote:
Fun can't be justification if you can't take pride in something which you had nothing to do with; although it may cause you to take pride. Of course, seeking fun can cause you to do nearly anything. Like pulling off the wings of flies. But it would not justify you in pulling off the wings of flies, would it?

Does everything need justification? I don't think so. Some things, like playing video games, I just feel like doing, and I can't think of any justification for doing so. But I don't think I need to provide one. Why would I have to justify such an action?

But, to be clear, how exactly are you using justify here? Are you simply asking him to provide a good reason for having pride in a sports team?
kennethamy

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:38 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;119907 wrote:
Does everything need justification? I don't think so. Some things, like playing video games, I just feel like doing, and I can't think of any justification for doing so. But I don't think I need to provide one. Why would I have to justify such an action?

But, to be clear, how exactly are you using justify here? Simply asking to provide a good reason?

No, I did not claim that everything needs justification. I was just pointing out the difference between justification and cause, and that what causes you to do something need not be what justified you in doing it. And, yes, to justify is to provide a reason, and, I would hope, a good one.
Zetherin

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:41 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;119908 wrote:
No, I did not claim that everything needs justification. I was just pointing out the difference between justification and cause, and that what causes you to do something need not be what justified you in doing it. And, yes, to justify is to provide a reason, and, I would hope, a good one.

Do you think he needs a good reason to be a fan of a sports team?
kennethamy

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:45 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;119912 wrote:
Do you think he needs a good reason to be a fan of a sports team?

Well, I would, but he may not.
Jebediah

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:46 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;119892 wrote:

Why wouldn't it? I don't object to hunting either. If there isn't a reason not to do something, and it's fun, how do not have adequate grounds to do it?
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:51 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;119915 wrote:
Well, I would, but he may not.

But his enjoying watching the team on the tele and feeling a sense of comradery with his peers, isn't good reason enough?