If you were a bookie... Polls and bets on the 2004 elections

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 10:19 pm
What Timber said there is right on! I second it!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:18 am
Damn...I gotta agree with Timber and Bill.

That blow to my head musta been worse than I thought!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 06:55 am
-schniff!- :-D

Shall we make a non-aggression pact now that we're feeling warm and fuzzy to get us through the election aftermath? ;-)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:31 am
Within this select group, I have yet to feel any aggression to begin with. :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:35 am
Aw, Bill, you're as mooshy as, um, really old brie. (I like brie.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:35 am
sozobe wrote:
(I like brie.)

I've thought, it was illegal to sell brie in the USA?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 11:05 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Nope, that's just in Wisconsin. :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:34 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Nope, that's just in Wisconsin. :wink:

Well, you are not really correct:

from yesterday onwards, some brie's are allowed:
"DETENTION WITHOUT PHYSICAL EXAMINATION OF IMPORTED SOFT CHEESE"
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:03 pm
Yeah but they already had this, like, sanitized factory "brie" in the States, right? Thats produced in the States itself? I think I remember someone saying that in some cheese thread ...
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:12 pm
That's only for Frogs and cheese eating surrender monkeys.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:14 pm
We definitely have plenty of brie to choose from... and I don't think it's all made in the States.
Creative packaging if it is.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:29 pm
I don't think som Bill.

Brie is made of raw milk, and I doubt, many dairies produce such in the USA - if any.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:32 pm
This was the thread I was thinking of (not that I know it necessarily has any bearing on brie imports): Michael Schmidt, raw-milk renegade
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:34 pm
cavfancier

Posted: Sun May 25, 2003 3:24 pm Post: 218253 -

Walter, here most of the brie, camembert and munster in the local supermarkets is pasteurized, and a lot of it not even made in France or Europe at all. Our soft goat cheese is also pasteurized, but very tasty. Raw milk brie, camembert, and a variety of goat cheeses can be found, but they tend to be pricey, and often are not ripe, or over-ripe. C'est la vie, I am afraid...thankfully, there is always good Roquefort around.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:52 pm
You may be right Walter, which would mean I've never really had brie. Shocked

The labels usually say "French Brie" Confused but the one who's name I remembered says:

Quote:
St. André is a soft, ripened cheese in the tradition of Brie and Camembert. Produced in France, it is also available from American artisan producers. In a competition in 1995, the St. André produced by Hollow Road Farms in Stuyvesant, New York, placed first in its category. It is considered an American treasure by cheese connoisseurs, who describe it as being as lush, creamy, and rich as cream cheese.

It looks like this... should it?

http://www.publix.com/images/healthnotes/Food_Guide/St_Andre.jpg

Which would indicate that we have our own version. I've never had milk that wasn't pasteurized either, so I don't know why that comes as such a surprise...

Source= my local grocery store "Publix".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:06 pm
Quote:
Brie: soft-ripened cow's-milk cheese named for the district in northeastern France in which it is made.

The preliminary soft curd of Brie is molded in flat, pancakelike rounds 9-15 inches (23-38 cm) in diameter and 1-1.5 inches (2.5-3.8 cm) in thickness. After the curd becomes firm, the cheese is sprayed with spores of penicillium candidum, a mold that forms a thin, downy white crust. The cheese ripens within three to four weeks. The interior is an ivory-coloured paste that has a semisoft, chalky centre when young but becomes soft and creamy throughout when fully ripened. Highly perishable, it remains in this state only briefly; at advanced stages of ripeness ammoniated odours develop, and the cheese begins to dry out and harden.

Brie originated near Paris, where unpasteurized, farm-produced Brie de Meaux and Brie de Melun are the most highly esteemed versions.
source: Britannica

Btw: 'Brie de Meaux' and 'Brie de Melun' are "Protected Designation of Origin (PDO)"
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:31 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
It looks like this... should it?

http://www.publix.com/images/healthnotes/Food_Guide/St_Andre.jpg

Oh my God! No, Bill, thats - <gasps> - thats - oh my God dont eat that!! Its all ... and then there's ... no, that's just - oh sweet jesus, Bill, don't - I'm serious, it could be dangerous! Put it down right now, your health is at stake!

<phew>

<wipes brow>

Promise us, Bill, you won't ever, ever eat that, that ... that thing again, OK?

<embraces Bill in spontaneous relief at how close it was>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:32 pm
Mr. Green

i guess we're all gettin a bit tired of the elections, huh ... i know i am ... ;-)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:41 pm
that was very funny, nimh
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:43 pm
Laughing Lol Nimh, it's really pretty good.
I'd say you must be right about the elections too!

So what you're saying Walter; is the odds of me having tried real brie here in the states is about the same as drinking champagne from California, eh?
0 Replies