If you were a bookie... Polls and bets on the 2004 elections

nimh

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 04:49 pm
Iowa Electronic Markets
Pres04_WTA: 2004 US Presidential Election Winner Takes All Market

Kerry versus Bush Aggregate Probabilities

http://128.255.244.60/graphs/Pres04_WTA.png

Re: daily tracking polls - oddest thing is how there's two polls out now that are based on the same dataset, but use a different methodology to arrive at their final numbers, with one calculating out a likely voter sample. And they really are coming up with different results.

Ie, the WaPo tracking poll today - likely voter sample - has Bush at 51% and Kerry at 45%. The ABC/WaPo poll - same dataset, but registered voter sample - has Bush and Kerry tied at 47%. Link.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 05:18 pm
just listened to the PBS-TV evening news - we usually watch part of the PBS and other U.S. news reports by tuning in to the watertown and syracuse/n.y. tv-stations. two journalists explained that there are some bills pending in the u.s. senate that might influence the upcoming election. one bill deals with compensation for north carolina tobacco farmers to get out of tobacco farming and the journalists thought that there would be a push to pass the legislation quickly - and thus gain some votes. hbg
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 05:39 pm
hamburger wrote:
just listened to the PBS-TV evening news - we usually watch part of the PBS and other U.S. news reports by tuning in to the watertown and syracuse/n.y. tv-stations. two journalists explained that there are some bills pending in the u.s. senate that might influence the upcoming election. one bill deals with compensation for north carolina tobacco farmers to get out of tobacco farming and the journalists thought that there would be a push to pass the legislation quickly - and thus gain some votes. hbg

Politics, you gotta love it to stomach it. Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 05:43 pm
What stomach? Mine was eaten away three year's ago.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 05:44 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
What stomach? Mine was eaten away three year's ago.

I am truly sorry to hear that...but I guess it is good for the GI docs. :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 05:46 pm
Rhetorical, Larry, rhetorical - like bush's statements.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 05:49 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Rhetorical, Larry, rhetorical - like bush's statements.

I knew that.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:05 pm
There's no question the Democrats are confident ... they've been confident all along:

Quote:
Democrats regain Senate power with Jeffords' bolt
May 24, 2001

BURLINGTON, Vermont (CNN) -- The Senate prepared for a change of power and President Bush faces a new political landscape after Sen. James Jeffords of Vermont left the Republican Party on Thursday, becoming an independent and throwing control of the Senate to the Democrats for the first time since 1994 ...

Quote:
The Rebirth of the Democratic Party

By Robert B. Reich, The American Prospect
July 25, 2001.

Democratic activists are pushing for a midterm convention next summer. The party hasn't met at midterm for more than two decades. But activists make a convincing case for rallying the troops next year before the 2002 midterm elections and using the occasion to articulate a new progressivism for America ...

Quote:
March 21, 2002
Ipsos-Reid/Cook Political Report: GONE! Republican Lead in Congressional Party Preference Disappears in March

May 10, 2002
Ipsos-Reid/Cook Political Report: Republican Blues Ahead?

August 5, 2002
Ipsos-Reid/Cook Political Report: DEAD HEAT!

October 28, 2002
Ipsos-Reid/Cook Political Report: Democrats Stem Republican Tide

November 1, 2002
Ipsos-Reid/Cook Political Report: It's All Tied Up and There's Nothing Bush Can Do About It

Quote:
Bush Is Not Going to War With Iraq
By David Morris, AlterNet
October 2, 2002

The President's party traditionally loses seats at midterm elections. This time around, tradition should be reinforced by the mounting woes that have befallen us under that party's aegis. A trillion dollar surplus has turned into a trillion dollar deficit within 18 months; the stock market has collapsed; and the economy is again falling into a recession.
After Democratic gains in the miderm elections, the saber-rattling will taper off, U.S. inspectors will roam Iraq at will -- and the Republicans will take credit for achieving "peace with honor." ...

Quote:
October 16, 2002
Democrats Regain Momentum In House Races

Democrats are rallying in their bid to regain control of the House of Representatives. "The latest Fabrizio, McLaughlin & Associates poll of the 40 closest House races finds the Democrats with Big Mo... What was a 5 percent Republican advantage is now dead even." ...

Quote:
GOP wins Senate, holds House, CNN projects
Tuesday, November 5, 2002

WASHINGTON (CNN) --In a historic night for the GOP and President Bush, Republicans seized control of the Senate, held onto their majority in the House and savored wins in two hot gubernatorial races, CNN projected early Wednesday ...

Quote:
Republicans Stun Democrats
By Z. Byron Wolf
November 6, 2002 03:00 PM

Exploiting a whirlwind campaign tour by President Bush over the past week, Republicans surprised confident Democrats, retaking control of the Senate on Tuesday and making historic mid-term gains ...

Quote:
Democrats Hope to Win 2003 Elections to Create Momentum For 2004
By Jimmy Moore
October 23, 2003

WASHINGTON (Talon News) -- Prefaced by an advertisement offering an autographed copy of liberal author Al Franken's book, the Democrat National Committee sent out an e-mail to supporters on Wednesday detailing their plan for "a stinging defeat on President Bush" beginning with the off year elections coming in less than two weeks.

Quote:
US: Democrats lose two more governorships in off-year elections
By Patrick Martin
7 November 2003

Following its debacle in last month's California recall election, the Democratic Party lost two more state governorships in off-year elections November 4. Republican candidates ousted the incumbent Democratic governor in Mississippi and defeated the Democratic state attorney general in Kentucky in the race to succeed outgoing Democratic Governor Paul Patton.

Both Republican candidates won easily: Congressman Ernie Fletcher defeated Attorney General A.B. Chandler by 55 to 45 percent in Kentucky; former Republican National Committee chairman Haley Barbour defeated Governor Ronnie Musgrove by 53 to 45 percent in Mississippi.

Fat lotta good its done 'em.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 02:12 am
ya havin' some fun there timber?? Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 02:41 am
nimh wrote:
Re: daily tracking polls - oddest thing is how there's two polls out now that are based on the same dataset, but use a different methodology to arrive at their final numbers, with one calculating out a likely voter sample. And they really are coming up with different results.

Ie, the WaPo tracking poll today - likely voter sample - has Bush at 51% and Kerry at 45%. The ABC/WaPo poll - same dataset, but registered voter sample - has Bush and Kerry tied at 47%. Link.

I was getting a little ahead of myself here I'm sorry to say - didn't click the links on the 2.004k page to go check for myself.

Yes, the ABC/WaPo poll has the race tied among registered voters, but among likely voters it has it Bush 51% Kerry 45% just like the other WaPo one does.

On who won the debates, the ABC/WaPo poll has Kerry winning the first one 52% to 23% and Kerry also winning the second one, much more narrowly, 35% to 32%.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 02:54 am
timberlandko wrote:
Both Republican candidates won easily: Congressman Ernie Fletcher defeated Attorney General A.B. Chandler by 55 to 45 percent in Kentucky

that's not terribly surprising, timber. being from kentucky, i can assure you though, that fletcher's gonna become the devil incarnate in not to long a time. the commonwealth is a l'bit fickle that way.

and dontcha conter'dick me thayre son. ahm a real live cuhnul on the staff a' the guvna a' tha communwellth.

cannah offa ya a julip, friend?

:wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:36 am
y'all betchya I'll have me a julep, son. Thankee much and jist pass it on ovah heeyar. Care fer some terbackee?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 12:50 pm
timberlandko wrote:
y'all betchya I'll have me a julep, son. Thankee much and jist pass it on ovah heeyar. Care fer some terbackee?

watcha got thayah, twist o' pouch?

how ya doin' today, timber?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 02:21 pm
Nah, not pouch ... got me some fine Kintuck rope ... cured jist right an' reddy ta chaw. Mostly allways do ... sorta partial to the stuff ... here, cutchyers'f off some

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/avalonforge/TOTW.jpg

Doin' good, hope its the same for you.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 05:19 pm
CBS/NYT poll has a mixed bag of results.

In the three-way race, Bush wins a point and Kerry loses two, carving out a three-point lead margin for Bush, 48% to 45% with 2% going to Nader.

But the very same poll shows a two-way race where both Bush and Kerry lose a point, and Bush thus leads still by only 1%, 47% to 46%.

Will have to wait till the next poll from them to see what's up.

New ICR poll has mixed news too. Compared to last week, Bush drops three points in the three-way race, while Kerry loses one point. The Bush lead, however, even if now narrowed by 2%, still is commanding: 48% to 43% with 2% to Nader. In the two-way race, Bush loses 2% while Kerry holds steady, but that too still means a remaining Bush lead of 3 points: 49% to 46%.

Thread I see running through the last day or two (or three) of polls - not doublechecking it, just how I remember it - is the number of undecideds going up again after the last debate. See if the next one will bring it down again.

(May I just ask why these four debates are crammed into a relatively short timespan, with then again a few weeks of none following it still? Wouldn't it make more sense to evenly space these debates throughout the last six weeks or so of the campaign?)

For Dems who might be getting overoptimistic, this graph here put my feet back onto the ground again:

http://www.pollingreport.com/images/0410GEN.GIF

Kerry might have been doing better than before in the polls recently, but look at the overview above and you'll still see that in 11 out of 14 polls, Kerry was stuck in the 44-46% zone - that won't be enough. Whereas in 9 out of those 14 polls, Bush still polled 48% or more. Still someways to go.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 05:28 pm
Oh, one cool thing about the 2.004.com site is that they have a page that registers the last poll for each state - sorted by closeness. So you can see in one glance which states are the most hotly contested or tenuously held by the two candidates.

At the moment, the only state Bush won in 2000 that Kerry now's got is Ohio - while the only Gore state now in Bush's column is New Mexico. (Both flip from one side of the divide to the other at most every second poll). New Hampshire in the latest poll there is an absolute tie.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 05:36 pm
Daily tracking polls:

Zogby/Reuters:
Bush 45 (+1)
Kerry 45 (-2)

Rasmussen:
Bush 47.4 (-1.6)
Kerry 45.8 (+0.4)

WaPo/ABC:
Bush 50 (-1)
Kerry 47 (+2)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 06:57 pm
nimh wrote:
Oh, one cool thing about the 2.004.com site is that they have a page that registers the last poll for each state - sorted by closeness.
That is cool! Thanks! Btw, you do know you're crazy, right? :wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 06:59 pm
LOL!
Yep.

I mean: yes SIR crazy SIR !

Very Happy
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:42 am
timberlandko wrote:
Nah, not pouch ... got me some fine Kintuck rope ... cured jist right an' reddy ta chaw. Mostly allways do ... sorta partial to the stuff ... here, cutchyers'f off some

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/avalonforge/TOTW.jpg

Doin' good, hope its the same for you.

chaw! ah, luv it. ya know, my granpa was partial ta the mail pouch brand. the ol' boy could fall asleep inna chayah, have a good doze and not choke once. the ol' coffee can he kept ta tha sideah the easychair was not too easy on us though... tha's a true story.

man, i gotta tellya, i spent many summers workin' on a 'bacca farm down in henry county. pullin', spikin' hangin' pullin' down again, strippin' pressin' and packin'.

damn hard work. but me an' my next door neighbor, delbert ( yep, that really was his name) built some bacca and corn stalk forts out in the barn that were pretty tuff. and really big!

never did care for that outhouse though. how many damm times can ya read a sears catalogue ????

awight, then. back ta business heyah...

bush is at an approval of 47%. looks like folks want to try something else.
0 Replies