nimh

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 11:21 am
sozobe wrote:
<high-fiving nimh on choice of Edwards for VP.>

yo yo yo!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 04:03 pm
Favorability ratings remain Kerry's weakness ... people just dont seem to like him very much. He scores about even with Dick Cheney.

Bush does significantly better - his favourability ratings are still a lot better than his job ratings (which in this poll were 50/47).

http://www.pollingreport.com/images/ANNfav.GIF
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 04:08 pm
Seems to me more like an unsure/visibility thing. At least it's not in the bad column yet.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 04:16 pm
ARG came out with a favourable poll for Kerry, with Bush at 45% and Kerry at 49%. Mind you, ARG has never this year had Bush ahead. Still, a slight difference in Kerry's favour compared to a month ago (B 46 K 48).

Here's the promised update of the graphs (I dont expect any from June to come in anymore) - the ARG one isn't included in the "average" graphs yet, cause that one's from July already.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/anepiphany/images/bush-kerry_endjune.gif

http://home.wanadoo.nl/anepiphany/images/bush-kerry_average_endjune.gif

http://home.wanadoo.nl/anepiphany/images/bush-job-ratings_2001-2004_average_endjune.gif
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 04:20 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Seems to me more like an unsure/visibility thing. At least it's not in the bad column yet.

Hmm ... I almost agreed with you, but then I realised the dichotomy:
he's not been visible enough for as many people to like him as Bush -- but apparently he's been visible enough for as many people to dislike him as Bush?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 04:27 pm
I'm guessing that there's a starting trend of people not disliking and tending to be favorable.

Then the difference between bush and kerry seems to be pretty much in the unsure category

Same with Cheney, thing is, I think Cheney exhudes an unlikeable quality so maybe Kerry's the same. <shrugs>

Either way, I don't quite know what to make of the dislike being nearly all similar and the differences being in the unsures (cept for edwards, but he may be an orange till the spotlight hits).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 05:22 pm
Quote:
Matthew Dowd, the chief strategist for Mr. Bush's re-election campaign, calculated several years ago that if the Republican ticket were to take the same percentages of the Hispanic, black and white vote in 2004 as it did in 2000, it would lose the popular vote by three million ballots and the Electoral College. In 2000, Mr. Bush received 544,000 fewer votes than Al Gore but won the Electoral College."

In this context, this is about a very interesting recent poll ...

Bush Loses Support Among Hispanics

Quote:
GALLUP NEWS SERVICE

A new Gallup survey, which includes large oversamples of blacks and Hispanics, finds President George W. Bush losing the support of Hispanic voters. In the 2000 election, former Vice President Al Gore easily won the Hispanic vote, 62% to 35%, according to the networks' exit poll. But early in his presidency, Bush seemed to overcome the Democratic tendency of most Hispanics, receiving job approval ratings from that group at the same level as from non-Hispanic whites.

In the past year, Bush's job approval rating among Hispanics dropped significantly, while approval from whites declined only modestly. Now, more Hispanics disapprove than approve of Bush's performance, and a majority indicate they will vote for Sen. John Kerry and for the Democratic representative in their districts in this fall's elections. [..] The poll was conducted June 9-30, and the sample includes approximately 800 non-Hispanic whites, 800 blacks, and 500 Hispanics. [..]

Lemme copy some graphs from out of that article ... on an aside, do you see that Nader score among blacks? Polling as well as Bush?

http://media.gallup.com/POLL/Releases/pr040706i.gif

http://media.gallup.com/POLL/Releases/pr040706ii.gif

http://media.gallup.com/POLL/Releases/pr040706iii.gif
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 02:22 pm
Current Presidential Betting Line as of 07JUL04

Republican Party
8/11

Democratic Party
11/10

BOLD marks current front runner on odds line

Source: Here
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 04:07 pm
Looks like The Edwards Bounce has shown up at Iowa Electronic Markets[/i]

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10156/IEM0707.jpg
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 04:25 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
they are predicting "up to" a 15 point boost.

But they are probably intentionally overstating it to portray any boost as expected.

The bounce seems to be some nine points on this first day.

Two weeks ago, the three-way NBC/WSJ poll had Bush at 45, Kerry at 44 and Nader at 4. Today, an impromptu NBC/WSJ poll has Kerry-Edwards beating Bush-Cheney 49% to 41%, with Nader-Camejo at 4%. (Sample was half the size though, so a 5% MoE there). Bush's job rating remains practically unchanged in the poll - 45%, with 48% disapproving.

Meanwhile, Gallup/CNN/USAToday did its own impromptu poll. It has quite different favourability ratings than the one in the Annenberg graph above. Comparing favourable with unfavourable opinions, we have Bush at 53/44, Kerry at 50/41, Cheney at 43/44 and Edwards right up there at 54/16.

Of Democrats/Democrat leaners, 88% is enthusiastic or satisfied with Edwards' choice. But of Republicans, too, 49% approves, while only 35% is dissatisfied or angry. 24% of the respondents say Edwards makes him/her more likely to vote for John Kerry in November, 7% says less likely.

Then there's question 9: "As you may know, before he was elected to the U.S. Senate, John Edwards was a successful trial lawyer who filed lawsuits against hospitals and companies in personal injury cases. If he were elected vice president, do you think his experience as a trial lawyer would be a major strength, a minor strength, a minor weakness, or a major weakness?"

26% - Major strength
41% - Minor strength
15% - Minor weakness
12% - Major weakness
6% - No opinion
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 04:34 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
nimh wrote:
Hmm ... I almost agreed with you, but then I realised the dichotomy:
[Kerry's] not been visible enough for as many people to like him as Bush -- but apparently he's been visible enough for as many people to dislike him as Bush?

I'm guessing that there's a starting trend of people not disliking and tending to be favorable.

Then the difference between bush and kerry seems to be pretty much in the unsure category

Interesting in the Gallup poll now is that

a) Again, the unfavourability ratings for Bush, Kerry and Cheney are about all the same

b) Kerry in this one does better with the favourables, scoring at Bush-level rather than Cheney-level,

c) and with Edwards, we have the very opposite going on as what you observed about Kerry's ratings in the other poll.

Kerry's unfavourability ratings in that poll were already up at the same level as Bush's and Cheney's, but his favourability rating lagged behind that of Bush, with the difference going into neutral/dont know. With Edwards in this poll, it's the favourability rating thats right up there with Bush's and Kerry's, but the unfavourability one lagging far behind, with the difference going into neutral/dont know.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 05:12 pm
According to an overnight CBS poll, "A majority of all voters, and seven in ten Democrats, say they are glad that Edwards was chosen." This "good feeling [..] exceeds the positive reaction towards two former vice presidential nominees about whom this question was asked. In 2000, 45 percent of all registered voters said they were glad that Al Gore chose Connecticut Senator Joe Lieberman; in 1988, only 33 percent said they were glad that George H.W. Bush named Dan Quayle."

Collection of glowing headlines from around the country in this press release from the Kerry campaign ...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 06:01 pm
Was it HarryTruman who said that the vp's job "wasn't worth a bucket of warm spit."
Similarly, many analysts contend that the vp candidate doesn't end up having much effect after the initial bounce. But if Edwards can deliver NC (with its 15 electoral votes) and perhaps VA (with 13), that could be a big contribution.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 06:11 pm
And Cheney has changed the definition quite a bit, I'd say.

It's got to be worth more than a bucket of warm spit to be the guy calling the shots when America is attacked...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 07:30 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
Was it HarryTruman who said that the vp's job "wasn't worth a bucket of warm spit."
Similarly, many analysts contend that the vp candidate doesn't end up having much effect after the initial bounce. But if Edwards can deliver NC (with its 15 electoral votes) and perhaps VA (with 13), that could be a big contribution.

It was the Texan John Nance Garner who said that; he was vice president during Franklin D. Roosevelt's first two terms (from 1933 to 1941).

I actually don't think Edwards will be enough to deliver North Carolina. But he will make the difference in Virginia and West Virginia, and Louisiana, and Arkansas, and possibly Tennessee and maybe even South Carolina and Kentucky.

This forces the GOP to spend lots of money and time defending states they would've taken for granted otherwise.

But the showdown remains in the Midwest, and the power of his populist message resonated in the primary season.

Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio, and Pennsylvania are all on the fence, and all rich electorally. Even the corporate media pundits believe that the Edwards Affect helps more in the Heartland than the Southland.

And then there's Florida, where Kerry has been building a lead even before the announcement.

Edwards will campaign vigorously also for Congressional Southerners, bringing the possibility of a majority change more greatly into focus.

The news is all good for the Democratic Party this week, which is why you see all of this board's conservatives worrying aloud. Cool
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:26 am
nimh wrote:
The bounce seems to be some nine points on this first day.

Two weeks ago, the three-way NBC/WSJ poll had Bush at 45, Kerry at 44 and Nader at 4. Today, an impromptu NBC/WSJ poll has Kerry-Edwards beating Bush-Cheney 49% to 41%, with Nader-Camejo at 4%.

More detail on both the NBC/WSJ and CBS overnight polls ..

The two-way results for the NBC/WSJ poll are significantly more positive for the Dem candidates still:
Bush/Cheney 43
Kerry/Edwards 54

Compared to Bush and Kerry each 47 in their last poll, two weeks ago. 11-point bounce.

The CBS poll meanwhile has
Bush/Cheney 44
Kerry/Edwards 49

That compares to Bush at 44 and Kerry at 45 in the last CBS poll, also two weeks ago. 4-point bounce.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:09 am
Dales does a whole bunch of number crunching on the historical track record of convention bounces. The "bounce" that comes with a convention, he concludes, usually consists of voters "coming home":

Quote:
Convention bounces generally occur due to partisan voters coming home to their candidate, and undecided independents being swayed at least momentarily. Not all independents are equal; studies by Pew and Gallup have shown that some independents routinely vote Democratic, and some independents routinely vote Republican. Exit polls routinely show that each party gets a minimum of 35% of the independents. Any support below this level is bound to 'come home' to their undeclared party with as much regularity as declared partisans returning to the party fold.

Consequently, it's been the candidates who up to the convention were underperforming among their natural constituencies who harvested the biggest bounce when Convention time came. Clinton in 92, for example, who got a 30-point bounce:

Quote:
Before the Democratic Convention in 1992, Mr. Clinton had only 67% of Democrats saying they were definitely going to vote for him, with 11% saying they were definitely going to vote for Mr. Bush (Data according to Pew Research). After the convention, Mr. Bush was getting under 5% of them, and Mr. Clinton was well above 80%. The Democrats came home. Among independents, Mr. Clinton had been getting just a quarter beforehand-- an extremely low number. Mr. Clinton was well set to have a sizeable convention bounce

No such obvious opportunities this time round for Kerry - or for Bush, for that matter.

Quote:
Where Mr. Clinton in 1992 and Mr. Gore in 2000 faced the opportunity for a healthy bounce by bringing home the Democrats and Democrat-leaning independents, Mr. Kerry's situation is more similar to Mr. Dole's [..]. Mr. Kerry [already] has 73% of Democrats [while his opponent] has just 6% of Democrats. Mr. Kerry [also] already has 37% [of independents]; those who lean Democrat already are with him. And it is not that Mr. Bush is doing poorly with independents, either. 35% of them say they will certainly cast their vote for him.

He concludes:

Quote:
Mr. Kerry will get about a 4-7 point bounce as the 73% certain support among Democrats increases to 80-85% and the few Democrat-leaning independents not already in his camp swing his way. Any bounce beyond that will have to be accomplished by wooing voters who are either neutral to Democrats or normally disinclined towards them. Further making it difficult for Mr. Kerry is the fact that the networks will be dedicating significantly fewer prime time hours to convention coverage.

I would not be surprised to see both candidates end up with convention bounces smaller than normal. If this happens, then it is going to be difficult for Mr. Kerry to avoid the perception that he did not live up to expectations. Where incumbent Presidents have had less than a 10-point bounce on average since 1976, challengers to an incumbent President have enjoyed a bounce closer to 16 points. [Bush campaign strategist] Mr. Dowd has primed the coverage to anticipate a double-digit bounce for Mr. Kerry, and so did Mr. McAuliffe [who suggested it will be between 8 and 12 points]. More is expected of Mr. Kerry's bounce, even though the terrain is not favorable for it being large.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 10:27 am
Quote:
I would not be surprised to see both candidates end up with convention bounces smaller than normal. If this happens, then it is going to be difficult for Mr. Kerry to avoid the perception that he did not live up to expectations.

This is precisely why the only people you read saying Kerry will get a 15 point bounce are Republicans. :wink:

They create the perceptions and expectations (but only if you let them).

They're already lowering expectations of Bush and Cheney's abilities in the debates in the fall. They did the same thing when Dubya debated Gore.

The corporate media falls for this sort of thing, but that's no reason for anyone else to do so...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 11:35 am
Dunno as I see any "worry" from The Conservative Camp. I do see a lift in Liberal Spirits, which is perfectly understandable in the circumstances. I see also that opposed to any "Bump", Rassmussen today shows the contestants tied, The Incumbent down one, The Challenger up one, at 46% ea. Today's RealClearPolitics average, based on a sample period encompassing 6/21 through 7/7, shows a slight (0.8%) lead for The Incumbent, head-to-head. Both indicators remain well within their established mean deviation over the past 6 weeks or so, leading to the conclusion The Edwards Bump is transient if not illusory. It is my perception, as stated before, that The Opposition gas been campaigning vigorously and non-stop since the beginning of the 2000 Primary Races, while The Incumbent has been otherwise occupied. That The Opposition, despite great effort and expense, and the absence of any concerted counter-effort, have managed no better than to retain their relative position over these nearly 4 years does not bode well for them when The Incumbent's counterattack begins in ernest.

The present situation, to my mind, is wonderfully, almost eerily, reminiscent of the earlier appearance of Governor Dean's invincibility, and I fully expect The Kerry Camp will achieve the same level of success as did The Deaniacs in their most similar confidence and enthusiasm.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 12:02 pm
Quote:
leading to the conclusion The Edwards Bump is transient if not illusory.

Anyone can find the conclusions they want if they look hard enough, Timber.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies