To Hell With Sympathy

Wilso

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 05:22 am
As to your question as to why we think the US is the most hated country in the world. That's not an opinion, that is a fact, but the problem is that unlike the members of this site, a huge number of Americans don't even know there is a world outside their own borders.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 05:30 am
As an example, an engineer where I work met a Texan man on a European holiday. In relating his conversation with this "gentleman" it came about that this guy, was (A) Surprised that Australia produced it's own steel, (B) Dubious that we had a plant capable of creating 5 000 000 tonnes of the stuff and probably worst (C) simply refused to believe that not only do we not import our steel from the US, we actually export a large proportion of our product to that country, mainly because we can produce a better quality product, in a more efficient manner, and at less cost than what is done in the US.
The conversation around the office centred around whether he realised that we've also got electricity and running water. I can assure you we do.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 06:18 am
au
You said "the world loved us just 2 years ago" and I disagree. I for one have had a strong hatred towards the American government for more years than I care to remember.

Fedral
You asked why and my reason is their use of control and abuse of the world and their own citizens. As an ex American I was accused of medical neglect and refered to as a perpetrator for refusing to drug my son with Ritalin, which is why I am now an extremely content Canadian. They say they are fighting for the freedom of the American people when they are robbing their own people of their freedom every day. They have this Child protection service that is suppose to help children who are being abused, but it has turned into a government funded legal child snatching agency who abuse countless of innocent families every single day and rip apart families for that almighty dollar. They go into other countries on mere speculation and kill thousands of innocent people, yet only talk about their own troops who are being killed. The American government is the bully of the world.

Signed
an ex victim (for now). Who knows who they'll attack next when they don't get what they want.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 07:09 am
Wilso - you stated your belief that the war was about oil. Could you please, specifically say what the economic mechanism is that the US will recap the costs of the war through oil?

I've seen guesstimates that this adventure is going to wind up costing us $200 billion. To make it worthwhile, let's say we need to get $300 billion out of Iraq. I just did a little digging at ask.com, and found out that Iraq's highest production rate is 3 MMBPD, with 0.5 MMBPD domestically consumed. If we took every drop of the 2.5 MMBPD remaining at $30/bbl, it would take 11 years to get the $300 billion back.

I'll be honest with you. I no longer know why we went into Iraq, and I'm bitterly disappointed at either being lied to about the WMD, or at the incompetent intelligence on the subject. But I believe it is equally unrealistic to say we will ever recap the economic cost of this action through oil. The numbers are simply not there.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 07:19 am
I think it was just a matter of revenge.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 08:06 am
Montana
au
Quote:
You said "the world loved us just 2 years ago" and I disagree. I for one have had a strong hatred towards the American government for more years than I care to remember.

There you go again. I made no comment. I merely posted an article that I found to be quite controversial.

As for your hatred for the states it stems from as you related many times the alleged injustice you met at the hands of the state of Mass. And certainly has no relation to the subject at hand
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 08:38 am
Wilso
I should like to remind you that the US. A nation you seem to revile, with is material and blood saved your nations ass during WW2. If it were not for the US you would be saluting the rising sun today. As for the Europeans who would you be saluting today. Yes, Bush is an idiot for attacking Iraq and he squandered the good will or sympathy that other nations may have held for the US as a result of 9/11. However, IMO it would have been short lived. I have always believed that our relationship with other nations is similar to a rich uncle. One from who they would accept largess willingly but at the same time envied and disliked because of his success and delighted in his failure.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 08:51 am
au1929 wrote:
Montana
au
Quote:

There you go again. I made no comment. I merely posted an article that I found to be quite controversial.

As for your hatred for the states it stems from as you related many times the alleged injustice you met at the hands of the state of Mass. And certainly has no relation to the subject at hand

I appologize. I meant to say that your article said.

As for your other comment. It's not only happening in Mass. You'd be surprised how wide spead it has become and I only added that because someone asked why some people hate America.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 09:04 am
au1929 wrote:
Wilso
I should like to remind you that the US. A nation you seem to revile, with is material and blood saved your nations ass during WW2. If it were not for the US you would be saluting the rising sun today. As for the Europeans who would you be saluting today. Yes, Bush is an idiot for attacking Iraq and he squandered the good will or sympathy that other nations may have held for the US as a result of 9/11. However, IMO it would have been short lived. I have always believed that our relationship with other nations is similar to a rich uncle. One from who they would accept largess willingly but at the same time envied and disliked because of his success and delighted in his failure.

I agree.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 09:29 am
I don't
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 02:07 pm
au1929 wrote:
Wilso

That is somewhat a matter of opinion, and by no means a foregone conclusion. In WWII, Australia had the highest ratio of it's population of all the allies enlisted in active service, and have never surrendured without one hell of a fight. But keep telling yourself your the saviour of the world if it makes you feel better. And unlike the US is want to do. The Australians have NEVER, given up and lost interest, as the US did in Vietnam, and is highly likely to do in Iraq.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 02:08 pm
The arrogance of those red, white and blue coloured glasses is still alive and well today.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 02:11 pm
Now that I agree with.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 02:15 pm
As long as you think that the rest of the world is jealous of the US, you'll be just fine ;-) Just make sure you don't let that blindfold slip off. You wouldn't want to see the light now!!!

Personally, I don't like bullies no matter how rich they are and jealousy is the last thing I feel.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 02:26 pm
I certainly don't hate America but have to agree about the distorted vision of the world. So many Americans have no idea what goes on in the rest of the world - and no that doesn't include the A2K crowd who are, on the whole, interesting people with open minds.

All nations have distorted views of other nations based on age old predjudice and i realise Britain has too.

America has a tendency to claim credit for so much in the war that they didn't even take part in! Saving Private Ryan - America wasn't involved in Dunkirk - the British troops were saved by flotillas of very very brave private UK citizens in private boats for the most part.

This is typical of war films made by America - Australia and the UK are merely stereotyped minor characters whilst the Americans charge in and win!!!!! not true. As Wilso said - the USA only came in at the last minute when their hand was forced.

Another thing that makes America unpopular is its cynical use of the 3rd world for manufacturing without strict safety rules and for dumping hazardous substances. (Bhopal?)
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 02:33 pm
Vivien wrote:

Saving Private Ryan - America wasn't involved in Dunkirk - the British troops were saved by flotillas of very very brave private UK citizens in private boats for the most part.

I agree with the gist of your post, but wasn't "Ryan" about D-Day?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 02:44 pm
Wilso
I am sure you were around during WW2 or were you? Were it not for the US that fight you are talking about would have certainly occurred. It would have occurred while Australian forces were off fighting in foreign lands. And indeed not only did the US save your and Europes bacon during WW2. It also saved Western Europe from the Russian bear during the cold war.
Yes we have the misfortune of having Bush as president who admittedly is a disaster. However, that does not negate the good done by the US through the years. Or does the attitude of "What have you done for me lately " prevail. Hell need I ask?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 02:50 pm
The US was not at war when the British evacuation at Dunkirk occured. It happened when the French army fell apart.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 02:53 pm
[/color][/quote]
I agree with the gist of your post, but wasn't "Ryan" about D-Day?[/quote]

Embarrassed oooops!!!! the principal remains though!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 03:09 pm
Vivien
Quote:
The principle remains

What principle? Saving private Ryan was a Hollywood movie
0 Replies