The philosophical conception of god in the age of reason and science.

prothero

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 11:03 pm
@prothero,
Well science has a long ways to go before it gives us a materialist or mechanistic explanation of human mind and human experience.
and
There is more than one rational way to construct a coherent and logical worldview which is also adequate and applicable to the realm of human concerns and human experience.

Is all religious or spiritual sentiment irrational or in conflict with reason or science? No
Do we all in constructing our worldviews go beyond science? Yes

Is there any scientific proof that there is not rational intelligence (logos) behind the universe?

Is there really any rational reason to prefer
Blind, pitiless indifference
to
Experiential, perceptive and striving?
Are not they both assumptions beyond science and beyond proof and beyond reason?

You see I do not mind, atheism, agnosticism, or materialism what I mind is the notion and the arrogance that those positions are rational and scientific and all forms of theism are not. When if fact those positions are metaphysical assumptions and philosophical speculations as well. In fact there is an element of "faith" in any comprehensive worldview.

Mind you, I am not defending special creationism, supernatural intervention, miracles, revealed religon, six day creation stories or any of the multitude of "religious" assertions which do offend science and reason. I am only defending the rather ancient and persistent notion (even among many scientists) that there is something more at work in the universe than accident, chance and purposeless indifference. I am also defending the notion that the assumption of accident, chance and purposeless indifference is no more rational and no more scientific than the rejection of that notion.

Is not agnosticism or indifference or just "I do not know" more rational and more truthful?
Reconstructo

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 11:07 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;166751 wrote:
Yes, many people begin twisting the word around like that. You know why? Because it makes their notion unfalsifiable. It eliminates confrontation. What brilliance! God is reality! Perfect! Let us make whatever we want to exist, reality, so that it will exist by definition! I want Humpty Dumpty to exist, so I will state that Humpty Dumpty is reality. Well, that sounds perfectly reasonable to me, how about you?

It's such a convenient argument, too. I think they hand this stuff out in Spirituality 101. This new age nonsense is really getting out of hand.

Come on, Zeth. You are being a little rude. I'm basically advocating a humanism that regards life as worth living, that grounds ethics in an appreciation of the value of life, and you call this "new age"?

Seriously, I don't give a sh*t about the word "god." F*ck g*d in his tiny a*sshole! Does that get my point across? The words "god" and "reality" are just monkey chatter. Both are abstractions. All of our human noise is abstractions. The point is to not be hypnotized by any of these abstractions. The point is to not show contempt to other humans in the name of abstractions. And all this is mixed up in some of the better religions with its opposite. You can be a little more open minded here. Seriously. For all practical purposes I'm a hard core atheist. No afterlife. No miracles. No karma. I might be more skeptical than you, because I don't see causality as logically justified, but only psychologically justified.

Hegel was also a ferocious atheist who turned on his friend for being a bit mystical. Please don't mistake an appreciation of the better parts of our Christian heritage for some kind of new age blather. I don't think mathematics is logically justified. From the point of view of my epistemology, nothing is fully justified logically in the ideal sense, least of all some spooky thing in the clouds.Smile
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 11:18 pm
@prothero,
prothero wrote:
Well science has a long ways to go before it gives us a materialist or mechanistic explanation of human mind and human experience.

Science has a long ways to go before it gives us... what?

Quote:
Is all religious or spiritual sentiment irrational or in conflict with reason or science? No

The answer is yes. Faith, by definition, is belief without justification. That is in conflict with reason.

Quote:
Is there any scientific proof that there is not rational intelligence (logos) behind the universe?

Fallacy from ignorance.

Also, what does science have to do with the matter? Is there any scientific proof that there is no Captain Crunch? The scientific method needs something to work with, to test, before any hypothesis can even be made. Science has absolutely nothing to do with this at all. I really wonder why you spiritualists speak about the false dichotomy, 'Science vs. Spirituality'.

Quote:
You see I do not mind, atheism, agnosticism, or materialism what I mind is the notion and the arrogance that those positions are rational and scientific and all forms of theism are not.

The word again is faith, and yes, it means to have a belief without justification. And if someone intentionally holds a belief they have no justification for, I think said person is being irrational.

Quote:
I am only defending the rather ancient and persistent notion (even among many scientists) that there is something more at work in the universe than accident, chance and purposeless indifference.

I really don't know what you are defending. Who said everything that happens in the world is by accident? As noted, we don't use the word purposeless or indifference in application to universes - what in the hell would an indifferent universe mean? We use these words in application to people, remember?

Quote:
Is not agnosticism or indifference or just "I do not know" more rational?

Remember that there is such a thing as a theist agnostic (one who believes, but doesn't claim to know), as well as an atheist agnostic (one who doesn't believe, and doesn't claim to know). And remember also that there is weak agnosticism and strong agnosticism (strong - anything supernatural is unknowable, weak - not necessarily unknowable)
Jebediah

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 11:20 pm
@prothero,
Quote:
Yes! Exactly! So when we speculate beyond that, we are on shaky ground. The arrogance isn't in not believing (atheism), not being sure (agnosticism), or any form of not believing in something unless there is good reason to believe it. It is in the opposite, claiming an explanation is true that there is no reason to believe in.

Quote:
In fact there is an element of "faith" in any comprehensive worldview.
Theism claims a comprehensive world view. Atheism does not. It is not proposing a "comprehensive world view" that it says is superior to the theistic one. For example:

Quote:
Is there really any rational reason to prefer
Blind, pitiless indifference
to
Experiential, perceptive and striving?
Are not they both assumptions beyond science and beyond proof and beyond reason?
This divide is a creation of theism.

@Zeth: ignosticism as well, which says that without a definition of god we can not say whether we believe in him or not, or even that it can't be known.
Deckard

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 11:27 pm
@Jebediah,
I hope someone has mentioned Spinoza by now; if not: Spinoza.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 11:29 pm
@prothero,
Overall I'm in sympathy with atheism. However isn't there at least the slight danger that atheism could be imposed as a sort of dogma? Hasn't this happened at least in China?

I think the mystery of the natural is obscure by assertions of the "supernatural." The concept of the "super-natural" doesn't even make sense, as the concept of Nature already includes all that happens. Of course science is still discovering "all that happens."

I view philosophy as a good tool for looking at the conceptual foundations and implications of science. It has been called the "science of science." So it's not absurd, in my view, to examine concepts like subject and object, observer and observed. It's not obviously necessary in a practical sense, but as human beings our interests extend beyond the invention and use of technology.
I see nothing unscientific or anti-scientific about looking the conceptual grounds of science. In fact, quite the opposite. We definitely want to understand the telescope, for instance. How can we be less interested in the mind that invented and uses the telescope? How can we claim an explanation of reality that does not include within this explained reality this very explanation? It's no easy matter to connect the brain with "consciousness" if consciousness is not an illusion just as god is. (I use "god" here in the abstract superstitious sense I have criticized as the bane of any true religion.)

Our explanations of experience will always be smaller than our experience as living human beings in its entirety. Does anyone at least see why I would say that?

Smiles!

---------- Post added 05-21-2010 at 12:31 AM ----------

Deckard;166757 wrote:
I hope someone has mentioned Spinoza by now; if not: Spinoza.

Got to love Spinoza. Hegel is basically Spinoza edited to survive Kant's critique of Spinoza, roughly, in Kojeve's view.
Deckard

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 11:44 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;166759 wrote:
Got to love Spinoza. Hegel is basically Spinoza edited to survive Kant's critique of Spinoza, roughly, in Kojeve's view.
That sounds about right.

Jacobi is an interesting character; I'd like to know more about him. He rejected both Spinoza and Kant. I'm not sure who reads Jacobi these days but he represents another path and I still consider his to be a legitimate "philosophical conception of god".
prothero

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 11:58 pm
@Jebediah,
[QUOTE=Jebediah;166756] Yes! Exactly! So when we speculate beyond that, we are on shaky ground. The arrogance isn't in not believing (atheism), not being sure (agnosticism), or any form of not believing in something unless there is good reason to believe it. It is in the opposite, claiming an explanation is true that there is no reason to believe in. [/QUOTE] I guess I would say I think there is reason to claim that the universe is rationally intelligible and mathematically expressible. I would also claim that the notion (or speculation) that this may indicate a rational intelligence within or behind the universe is not irrational (Einstein expressed this sentiment).

I guess I would say that the notion that science will provide an adequate accounting of human experience and of mind is also an assumption which may or may not work out.

[QUOTE=Jebediah;166756] Theism claims a comprehensive world view. Atheism does not. It is not proposing a "comprehensive world view" that it says is superior to the theistic one. For example: [/QUOTE] Materialism is a comprehensive worldview. Scientism is a comprehensive worldview. Plenty of religious philosophers and theists hold their views in humility. I guess if one is opposed to all comprehensive worldviews that is at least intellectually consistent, although I think most people strive to create a at least somewhat integrated and comprehensive worldview and I do not think many limit their speculations to what can be scientifically confirmed (what about values, aesthetics, ethics)? Neutral there?.
One can construct a rational conception of god which does not ignore the information of science or the rules of reason. Yes it involves more than we can "know" or what can be "certain" but so does any other system adequate to the world of human experience.

[QUOTE=Jebediah;166756] This divide is a creation of theism.. [/QUOTE] So then you are neutral on that question?
When Dawkins preaches the blind pitiless indifference of the universe you criticize him in the same manner as the theist who claims the universe is perceptive and striving?
Jebediah

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 12:45 am
@prothero,
prothero;166768 wrote:
I guess I would say I think there is reason to claim that the universe is rationally intelligible and mathematically expressible. I would also claim that the notion (or speculation) that this may indicate a rational intelligence within or behind the universe is not irrational (Einstein expressed this sentiment).

Speculating...may indicate...not irrational. Ok. But what is saying that it does indicates that a rational intelligence is within or behind it? Because I think we are kidding ourselves if we act like this is an argument between atheists and agnostics. Without theists, there are no agnostics.

[quote]I guess I would say that the notion that science will provide an adequate accounting of human experience and of mind is also an assumption which may or may not work out.[/quote]I don't know what you mean by adequate.

Quote:
Materialism is a comprehensive worldview. Scientism is a comprehensive worldview. Plenty of religious philosophers and theists hold their views in humility. I guess if one is opposed to all comprehensive worldviews that is at least intellectually consistent, although I think most people strive to create a at least somewhat integrated and comprehensive worldview and I do not think many limit their speculations to what can be scientifically confirmed (what about values, aesthetics, ethics)? Neutral there?.
One can construct a rational conception of god which does not ignore the information of science or the rules of reason. Yes it involves more than we can "know" or what can be "certain" but so does any other system adequate to the world of human experience.
Comprehensive as in including everything? I think the pursuit of a "total explanation" is misdirected. Neither scientism nor materialism seem to be a comprehensive worldview to me, I guess we are using the term differently.

I am not suggesting that we discard anything we can't be certain of. I am suggesting that we shouldn't overtheorize. That is what theism strikes me as. I don't much like grand theories of aesthetics either.

[quote]So then you are neutral on that question?[/quote]
Quote:

When Dawkins preaches the blind pitiless indifference of the universe you criticize him in the same manner as the theist who claims the universe is perceptive and striving?
I disagreed with calling the universe blind a few posts back. There is no need to personify the universe. You could argue that it correct to say that the universe is pitiless, because non living things can't have pity, but then why discuss them in human terms.

So all in all, I reject the idea that the atheist position is defeated by the criticisms it uses against the theist position. Not making a claim about a subject is different than making one, and there is a clear error in arguing that in not making a claim atheists are making a claim about not making a claim, and therefore arguing against themselves. It is clearly a specific kind of claim that they are against. It is no different from not believing in astrology. People who don't believe in astrology aren't promoting an alternative system of predicting how our lives will turn out, and aren't claiming indisputable proof that it is false. No doubt science cannot provide an "adequate prediction" of how our lives will turn out, and non-believers of astrology bumble along making guesses. But that is not an argument for astrology.
jeeprs

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 02:58 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;166755 wrote:
Faith, by definition, is belief without justification. That is in conflict with reason.

I question that definitions, actually. I think that is a very specific definition of faith, which originates in a particular religious outlook, which this is the denial of. This is the way Dawkins/Hitchens defines faith. But it is a very degraded notion. It is also not a correct definition of the word outside atheist polemics.

We have faith in all manner of things in our day to day life. We conduct transactions 'in good faith', we have faith that other drivers will obey the law, that people who owe us will pay us. Sometimes of course we are let down and may have to adjust our opinion of this or that person. That nevertheless does not preventing us from acting in good faith most of the time.

Now I expect you will agree with this but then say 'yes, but I mean religious faith, faith in an Unseen Power'. But in the context of a community of believers, religious faith has very much the same meaning as faith in the traffic laws. If a community has a shared value system and operate according to similar norms, then religious faith is the similar to faith in the civil law, but held with regard to normative convictions. And, unlike scientific axioms, these convictions are generally anchored both in a living tradition and also in an explanation of the cosmic order.

Within this framework, religious beliefs have a great deal of justification. Of course, if you have completely inoculated yourself against such a possibility then you will never admit that there could be any justification. But that is also a matter of faith.

I don't really care whether you have religious faith in this sense, or not. Doesn't matter to me in the least, you might be perfectly fine without it. But I think that the definition of faith that you have provided is pernicious and inaccurate and furthermore you use it as an axiom for virtually any discussion which you judge to have religious content. So I say to you what I would say to a Richard Dawkins: that if religion was as you understand it to be, then my attitude towards it would be exactly the same as yours. But it is based on a misrepresentation.
Zetherin

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:16 am
@prothero,
jeeprs wrote:
But I think that the definition of faith that you have provided is pernicious and inaccurate and furthermore you use it as an axiom for virtually any discussion which you judge to have religious content.

I wonder why you think it is inaccurate. It is definitely a commonly used sense of the word. It is in almost any dictionary you can imagine, and I don't need to point out the various sources that confirm this. And when people say faith, in relation to supernatural belief, this is the sense that is generally understood.

Quote:
But that is also a matter of faith.

You and prothero are confused on this point. Not everything we believe is faith. We can have good reason to believe what we believe, and this is not faith. You guys try to water down justification by saying, "Well, in the end, you need faith to even believe your justification is right in the first place (usually aimed at science)". Of course, the both of you are misusing the word, and attempting to make spiritualists look more reasonable - drag everyone down with em, is the name of the game. But there is a sharp distinction between someone that has good reason to believe something and someone that does not.

But what keeps you on the defensive, no matter what I say, is that you think I am discriminating against supernatural beliefs per se. But I'm not. This is not an issue about God, religion, or any other supernatural belief per se. It is an issue about being reasonable. Choosing to be reasonable. Choosing to tailor your beliefs around justification.

And what is most interesting is that most of you are probably very reasonable throughout your daily lives and even on this forum, but when it comes to spirituality, you completely rid reason from your minds. It's just utterly fascinating. That's what gets me. See, if you guys were unreasonable all the time, I guess I could just pawn this off as though you didn't know any better (and sometimes this is most definitely the case, especially with the uneducated). But you guys are, at least, fairly intelligent. And most of you seem educated. It's just bewildering.

Quote:
And, unlike scientific axioms, these convictions are generally anchored both in a living tradition and also in an explanation of the cosmic order.

Here we go, the science vs. religion dichotomy again.
jeeprs

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:50 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;166782 wrote:
It is in almost any dictionary you can imagine,

Quote one.......

---------- Post added 05-21-2010 at 07:54 PM ----------

Nothing personal, either, I respect your position, and your skills, but I think you are labouring under a misapprehension. I think this idea you have about faith - not just you, but many people- is based on a very specific conception of the meaning of the word. So in all this, I am trying to get to the bottom of the meaning of something.

---------- Post added 05-21-2010 at 08:34 PM ----------

Zetherin;166782 wrote:
We can have good reason to believe what we believe, and this is not faith

But again, this is based on a very specific meaning of the word 'faith', and it being defined exactly as 'believing without evidence'. I believe this is very specific to a particular reading of Christianity. I suppose, thinking about it, it goes back to Jesus saying 'unless you see signs and miracles, you won't believe'. In other words, believing without having an external reason to believe, is held up as a virtue. This was emphasized by Martin Luther in particular. So I do understand why faith is depicted in this light. But it has broader meanings also. The point of the OP is not to promote faith in that sense at all but to argue for a rational conviction about an intelligent principle which can be inferred on the basis of the rational order of the universe. It is more Platonist, and philosophical, in conception. But because our society has been conditioned by a particularly protestant conception of faith (which incidentally is also quite hostile to any kind of Platonist view), then, ironically, this view is identified with the 'believing without evidence' view.

---------- Post added 05-21-2010 at 08:37 PM ----------

which is why I call atheism of the Dawkins variety, "Protestant atheism". It has a very strict, Protestant view of the meaning of religion and God, and this is what it denies.

---------- Post added 05-21-2010 at 08:58 PM ----------

Zetherin;166742 wrote:
people flaunt having faith, as if it were some sort of positive characteristic to behold.

This could be because, for them, their faith informs their daily lives and gives them reason to be giving, loving and compassionate in a world where taking, competing and winning over seem far more important. It could be because their faith gives them a sense of relatedness to everyone and everything, over and above their personal relationships and the things which are just important to them personally.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:11 pm
@prothero,
jeeprs wrote:
But again, this is based on a very specific meaning of the word 'faith', and it being defined exactly as 'believing without evidence'. I believe this is very specific to a particular reading of Christianity. I suppose, thinking about it, it goes back to Jesus saying 'unless you see signs and miracles, you won't believe'. In other words, believing without having an external reason to believe, is held up as a virtue. This was emphasized by Martin Luther in particular. So I do understand why faith is depicted in this light. But it has broader meanings also. The point of the OP is not to promote faith in that sense at all but to argue for a rational conviction about an intelligent principle which can be inferred on the basis of the rational order of the universe. It is more Platonist, and philosophical, in conception. But because our society has been conditioned by a particularly protestant conception of faith (which incidentally is also quite hostile to any kind of Platonist view), then, ironically, this view is identified with the 'believing without evidence' view.

I appreciate all this (I don't say that sarcastically), but, I think, as you mentioned earlier, we're getting caught up on this one word.

In a nutshell, I believe we should seek justification for the things we believe. I don't think we ought to believe something simply because we feel it's true. We should use reason, and we should be wary of inconsistencies.

There are no good reasons to believe that there is a god, or that anything supernatural exists. Just as there are no good reasons Frodo, the spaghetti monster, unicorns, or Captain Crunch exist. And so those who choose to believe are staying willfully unreasonable. It doesn't matter if they're using the word "faith" in another sense. They still don't have good reason to believe what they do, and that's the problem.
prothero

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:53 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;166769 wrote:
So all in all, I reject the idea that the atheist position is defeated by the criticisms it uses against the theist position. Not making a claim about a subject is different than making one, and there is a clear error in arguing that in not making a claim atheists are making a claim about not making a claim, and therefore arguing against themselves. It is clearly a specific kind of claim that they are against. It is no different from not believing in astrology. People who don't believe in astrology aren't promoting an alternative system of predicting how our lives will turn out, and aren't claiming indisputable proof that it is false. No doubt science cannot provide an "adequate prediction" of how our lives will turn out, and non-believers of astrology bumble along making guesses. But that is not an argument for astrology.
But is seems to me you are making a claim
for :
There is either some rational intelliegence behind the order and mathematical expressiblity of the universe or there is not.

Theist claim there is; and others are responding not only that there is not; but that the very notion is irrational. This is in effect a claim that there is not any rational intelligence inherent in nature.

The only position that would not be making a claim is the agnostic position that we just do not know.

In effect metaphysics is specualtive philosophy about the ultimate nature of reality and other such questions. An effort to build a coherent and logical system of thought which incorporates the realm of human experience. Speculative metaphysics involves not only science but also mind, subjective experience, values, ethics and aesthetics. My very limited claim is that there are notions of "god" which are rational and coherent and applicable and adequate to the realm of human experience. Others are saying there is no conception of "god" or religion that is rational. Who is making the larger claim? What kind of worldview allows you to even make the claim that there is no conception of the divine which is rational?
Jebediah

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:15 pm
@prothero,
prothero;167016 wrote:
for :
There is either some rational intelliegence behind the order and mathematical expressiblity of the universe or there is not.

Theist claim there is; and others are responding not only that there is not; but that the very notion is irrational. This is in effect a claim that there is not any rational intelligence inherent in nature.

It isn't that atheists make a claim that there is no god, and theists claim that there is a god, and so they both make a claim. Theists are offering an explanation which there is no reason to believe, and atheists are not believing it, and not offering an alternative explanation for which there is no reason to believe.

Hard atheism makes a claim, but few people who learn a bit about logic stick with it. So arguing against it is arguing against a strawman.

Quote:
The only position that would not be making a claim is the agnostic position that we just do not know.
Claiming that we don't know is making a claim. Anyway, agnosticism is part of atheism--all that is required to make someone an atheist is that they don't believe. Atheism is the default.

Quote:
In effect metaphysics is specualtive philosophy about the ultimate nature of reality and other such questions. An effort to build a coherent and logical system of thought which incorporates the realm of human experience. Speculative metaphysics involves not only science but also mind, subjective experience, values, ethics and aesthetics. My very limited claim is that there are notions of "god" which are rational and coherent and applicable and adequate to the realm of human experience. Others are saying there is no conception of "god" or religion that is rational. Who is making the larger claim? What kind of worldview allows you to even make the claim that there is no conception of the divine which is rational?
Without a doubt there are conceptions of god that are rational. Since the standard here is that you can invent your own conception, you can invent a rational conception of something and call it god. But you will most likely confuse anyone you try and talk to about it, because when you say "god" they will be thinking of something quite different.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:56 pm
@prothero,
prothero wrote:
for :

I want to ask you, do you believe Captain Crunch is real? And if not, why? Do you make the claim that he either exists or not, or do you simply make the claim that he does not exist?

Should we demand that others honestly consider every imaginary being that we conjure?
jeeprs

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:27 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;167045 wrote:
I want to ask you, do you believe Captain Crunch is real?

Perhaps you might elucidate for us the formative role that belief in Captain Crunch had in the formation of the notion of the individual in the late middle ages. It might also be interesting to consider the differing Jewish, Muslim and Christian perspectives of Captain Crunch, and the consequences of these differences in the subsequent formation of secular philosophy. It would also be interesting to recall the role of the worshippers of Captain Crunch in the formation of the European University system, the hospital system, the creation of formal logic, and the definition of such philosophical concepts as ontology and causation.

I suppose an outline of any one of those topics would suffice, really. Because I, for one, was shamefully unaware of the significance of the deities you mentioned, including the Spaghetti one, in the formation of European civilization.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:32 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;166779 wrote:
I question that definitions, actually. I think that is a very specific definition of faith, which originates in a particular religious outlook, which this is the denial of.

[SIZE=+4]"...Now faith is the assurance of the things [we] hope for, being the proof of things [we] do not see and the conviction of their reality [faith perceiving as real fact what is not revealed to the senses]..." - Hebrews 11: 1[/SIZE]
Zetherin

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:47 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;167063 wrote:
Perhaps you might elucidate for us the formative role that belief in Captain Crunch had in the formation of the notion of the individual in the late middle ages. It might also be interesting to consider the differing Jewish, Muslim and Christian perspectives of Captain Crunch, and the consequences of these differences in the subsequent formation of secular philosophy. It would also be interesting to recall the role of the worshippers of Captain Crunch in the formation of the European University system, the hospital system, the creation of formal logic, and the definition of such philosophical concepts as ontology and causation.

I suppose an outline of any one of those topics would suffice, really. Because I, for one, was shamefully unaware of the significance of the deities you mentioned, including the Spaghetti one, in the formation of European civilization.

But what does any that matter? That the belief in God has had an influence on humanity, says nothing about God's existence. We're talking about justification for believing God exists. And my point is, there is none.

Or is your reason for believing that God exists, because you think that the belief in God has positively contributed to humanity? That would be an odd reason to believe. But, I suppose, it's better than those who believe in God simply because they were raised in a religious household.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:51 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;166766 wrote:
That sounds about right.

Jacobi is an interesting character; I'd like to know more about him. He rejected both Spinoza and Kant. I'm not sure who reads Jacobi these days but he represents another path and I still consider his to be a legitimate "philosophical conception of god".

I know that he was a big deal, but that's about all. And he was the one who confessed near death that he had been a Spinozist? I think in essence, Spinoza had a great great view. The logical difficulties seem secondary to his attempted resolution of the mind/matter, man/god problem. If you have anything else to say about Jacobi, I would enjoy hearing it.

---------- Post added 05-21-2010 at 06:09 PM ----------

Zetherin;167078 wrote:
We're talking about justification for believing God exists. And my point is, there is none.

I agree with you as far as God is usually conceived. But the word "God" is often used as a synonym for the nature of things, or human experience in its totality. Einstein used the word this way. I don't see any reason for an allergy to the mere word. And don't think that "reason" has sometimes served human beings as the same sort of idol that "god" has? What about the dialectical materialism of the Marxists?

I admit that "God" has indeed the classic abstraction used to beat other humans over the head with. But I sometimes think that the more educated have simply replaced one violent abstraction with another. What was that Marxist line? Something like: Religion is the opiate of the masses. And then that other line: Marxism is the opiate of the intellectuals.

Many a secular position functions with the same cruel self-righteous efficiency that religion is rightly accused of. Look at someone like Ayn Rand. She makes the average Jehova's Witness seem like a group of Christmas carolers. And her key word is "reason! reason! reason!"
All the while I find her views mostly unreasonable. I was just told that "when I come to reason.." I will understand her (adopt her perfectly logical atheist gospel of selfishness...). It felt just like a chat on the blood of the lamb.
0 Replies