Do you believe this to be true

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 07:52 pm
Some people believe this to be true when they die, do you? The hadith, traditional sayings traced with varying degrees of credibility to Muhammad. Hadith number 2,562 in the collection known as the Sunan al-Tirmidhi says, "The least [reward] for the people of Heaven is 80,000 servants and 72 wives, over which stands a dome of pearls, aquamarine and ruby."

Some people believe this to be true do you? "An evil and adulterous generation asks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. For just as Jonah was in the belly of the huge fish for three days and three nights, so the Son of Man will be in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights.

If you believe any of this to be true is it by faith or some other way of thinking? Thank you RSL
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 8,585 • Replies: 11
No top replies

melonkali

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:16 pm
@reasoning logic,
I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but when I read specifics about paradise which are clearly culturally related, I liken it to a child asking if he/she will have a pony in heaven -- to which I'll respond, completely true to my beliefs, "Yes, you will have a pony in heaven, if you want one." I have a personal belief, based primarily on subjective experiences and intuition, that whatever the desires of the heart may be here, they will in some way be gratified in the world to come.

As to the Jonah question, my off-the-cuff impression is that this is one of the frequent "Judaizing" sections inserted into the gospels by some Biblical authors. But I have not really studied this particular passage, so I can only offer that as an initial impression, not an informed opinion.

rebecca
fresco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 12:51 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic,

Welcome to A2K.
I merely notice that the name you have chosen is the antithesis of the contents of your post. Smile
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 12:43 pm
@melonkali,
Thank you for your reply. I find your reply to have good reason and I find no fault in what you are saying. I very may be wrong but I think that religion does have good in it. The problem that I see is that some of it is delusional and some people run with it and call it fact.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 02:25 pm
@fresco,
Thank you for the new word to me[antithesis]. Would yould please go into depth of your reasoning ,understanding or explanation of what you are saying?
Thank you RSL
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 03:28 pm
@reasoning logic,
But it demands that Jesus be wrong. I think most people see this instinctively.

I always use this rule for investigating religious claims: If I find something is true I stop there. If Jesus is the Son of God I don't go finding out why Muslims don't see this. What is the point? Am I to say, Reason is good except when it reasons TO a conclusion ?
0 Replies

CVeigh

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2016 10:59 am
@reasoning logic,
Jesus must be wrong for ____ to be right, right? And I can say after 20 years "that no seems likely"
0 Replies

CVeigh

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 05:05 pm
@reasoning logic,
You make a huge mistake. The question brings up what Faith is to a Jew or Christian (for they are the same and Islam's very different). Let us take Christianity. If you know Jesus is the Son of God, that ONE belief necessitates that ALL He says (rightly understood) must be true. The Jonah quote hence is true (and verified in the Resurrection). Now for the Muslim quote to be right --- disgusting as it is to the normal person -- then Jesus MUST BE WRONG.
0 Replies

Snezana

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2016 04:05 am
@reasoning logic,
No.

To me, it is a part of a literary work. As far as we know, it does not match reality.
Not that it's bad or anything, it's just that we don't know if it is really true, so there is no reason to accept it as truth.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2016 04:10 am
I believe its 73 virgins and diamonds are also part of the deal. The FSM told me so in a dream.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2016 05:26 am
@reasoning logic,
Does Allah make servants for heavenites or is it a pyramid scheme?
0 Replies

Al-Fatihah

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2016 08:37 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:

Some people believe this to be true when they die, do you? The hadith, traditional sayings traced with varying degrees of credibility to Muhammad. Hadith number 2,562 in the collection known as the Sunan al-Tirmidhi says, "The least [reward] for the people of Heaven is 80,000 servants and 72 wives, over which stands a dome of pearls, aquamarine and ruby."

Some people believe this to be true do you? "An evil and adulterous generation asks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. For just as Jonah was in the belly of the huge fish for three days and three nights, so the Son of Man will be in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights.

If you believe any of this to be true is it by faith or some other way of thinking? Thank you RSL

Response: Not all hadith are as reliable as others. Tirmidhi is one of them and is classified as not authentic.
0 Replies