Shostakovich phil

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 06:14 pm
@ACB,
ACB;98967 wrote:
Quote:
There is a problem with the idea of time moving backwards. Suppose it is now 2009, and time is going backwards. In which direction would my memory point?

If time is locked in with the expansion of space which seems to be the way cosmologists look at the universe then with a reversal from expansion to collapse maybe everything will run backwards, just like a rewinding video tape, with all of our collective memories and actions etc., being erased in the process. We would not be having any new experiences ... we would be having all of our collective experiences erased.

Quote:
If, on the other hand, we all remembered 2010 and not 2008, our mental state would be different from what it had been on the forward journey, so the backward journey would not involve an exact reversal of events, but something new. So, in that case too, we might as well say that time is still moving forwards
Quote:

There would be nothing to experience in the collapse for there would be nothing new (only what we have experienced in the forward stage). In the backward stage these experiences would be erased -no experience of the process would be possible.

---------- Post added 10-21-2009 at 05:21 PM ----------

xris;98975 wrote:
I don't think he is advocating time moving backwards, just matter collapsing in on itself.Even if science can theoretically say this is possible there is no evidence that this has happened before. So we must assume this event is the first.

This is all speculation though.
Nothing could be proved one way or the other, even if a collapse happened and everything did move backwards in time and everything were to be erased, we would not know it.

I don't think this will happen. I think the universe is in a phase where it may become a steady state, like Einstein wanted it to be, with the force of expansion counterbalanced perfectly by the graviational pull of its mass. There is now some new evidence that has led cosmologists to state that the expansion of space is not slowing down, but speeding up. What this means, cosmologists don't really know. All we can do is speculate. Here, metaphysics can hold its own with any other discipline like cosmology or physics.
ACB

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 07:27 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;99115 wrote:
If time is locked in with the expansion of space which seems to be the way cosmologists look at the universe then with a reversal from expansion to collapse maybe everything will run backwards, just like a rewinding video tape, with all of our collective memories and actions etc., being erased in the process. We would not be having any new experiences ... we would be having all of our collective experiences erased.

At any given moment, therefore, we would still think that time was running forwards. So, from what (theoretical) point of view could time be observed running backwards? None, as far as I can tell. One would have somehow to get 'outside' of time in order to see it changing direction. When one rewinds a video tape, the concept of rewinding only makes sense from an outside viewpoint in which time continues to run forwards. If the rewinding involves the entire universe, no such viewpoint is available. Any claim that time was reversing would therefore be absolutely unverifiable.

There is also a definitional problem. If the universe really collapses, the end of the collapse must in some sense take place after the beginning of the collapse (by the definition of the words 'beginning' and 'end'). This implies that time is still running forward.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 05:15 am
@xris,
xris;98953 wrote:
Once again the observations rule this out as we see no evidence of a before.

---------- Post added 10-21-2009 at 06:16 AM ----------

Where do you hide these other universes ? are they in another dimension that is invisible to us? Its another theory that ignores known science and invents a magical everlasting series of unseen universes. Whats more feasible mine or yours?

Then xris we are back to the mystical and God are we not?, or we must accept that we will never know!

And I can accept your infinite eternal universe as another possibility, this theory cannot have a big bang as its bases can it?
xris

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 08:34 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;99179 wrote:
Then xris we are back to the mystical and God are we not?, or we must accept that we will never know!

And I can accept your infinite eternal universe as another possibility, this theory cannot have a big bang as its bases can it?
It was not eternal, it had a begining that emerged from an observed nothing, but as nothing does not exist we have to accept that time started at that precise moment and nothing occurred previous to this event. If we try to imagine anything other than this, we make up magic tricks to explain our thoughts.

No one has mentioned the spiralling torus universe, its advocates are mathematically more able than me so the objections, i try ,are not capable of contradicting their theories. Its the only one, i find, that may give us an answer to the constant state universe we imagine it should be. We have to imagine our place in this universe to overcome the observed objections to this theory. I cant really comment because at the moment I cant get my head around their theories and how we fit the observations with the proposal.
Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 09:06 am
@xris,
xris;99228 wrote:
It was not eternal, it had a begining that emerged from an observed nothing, but as nothing does not exist we have to accept that time started at that precise moment and nothing occurred previous to this event. If we try to imagine anything other than this, we make up magic tricks to explain our thoughts.

No one has mentioned the spiralling torus universe, its advocates are mathematically more able than me so the objections, i try ,are not capable of contradicting their theories. Its the only one, i find, that may give us an answer to the constant state universe we imagine it should be. We have to imagine our place in this universe to overcome the observed objections to this theory. I cant really comment because at the moment I cant get my head around their theories and how we fit the observations with the proposal.

XRIS in a steady state eternal universe the arrow of time would be pushed back into the infinite past and the now moment could never have happened and by extrapolation we would not exist. So time must have started somewhen and we must revert back to the big bang for answers
xris

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 09:43 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;99237 wrote:
XRIS in a steady state eternal universe the arrow of time would be pushed back into the infinite past and the now moment could never have happened and by extrapolation we would not exist. So time must have started somewhen and we must revert back to the big bang for answers
It comes down to how we interpret the observations we have, those who postulate the torus tell us its because we cant see the complete picture.
0 Replies

validity

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 04:26 pm
@xris,
xris;98802 wrote:
I simple wish for those who oppose my reasoning to stop saying we dont know and to advance alternatives we could examine. If we leave it simple to science, it will never be resolved.
I agree that philosophy is a means to examine an issue but to resolve the alternatives without the use of science i.e. testable predictions, is wasting knowledge. Would you hold onto philosophical beauty in light of an alternative prediction being confirmed by observation?

If you are interested in alternatives that have testable predictions, and I have understood it correctly, you may wish to look into Ekpyrotic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and one way of possibly confirming this idea is through the observation of CMB polarisation by gravitational waves CMB Polarization i.e. this alternative predicts a different polarisation than the inflationary model. The relevant point here is that the Ekpyrotic alternative assumes events prior to the big bang and provides means in which to demonstrate this idea.
xris

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 04:36 am
@validity,
I agree that we have other theories but they are just speculative as any others , science does not answer these questions, it invents possibilities, that in fact have no more credibility than mine. They create more questions than answers. One that parallel universe have collided. How do you define two universes, what separates them, a void or nothing, we cant have voids and nothing does not exist. String theory is having problems and as for other dimensions, has that obtained any credibility in science. It is mentioned quite glibly, as if we have found these other dimensions or they are facts of nature. The science of how it was created does not give a reason why or from whence.
Krumple

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 09:24 am
@vectorcube,
For me, time is change or motion. If there is no time, then you can't have change nor motion. Therefore I do not adopt the idea that the big bang was t=0. My reasoning is that time would have to exist prior to the event or the event could never occur. You can't all of a sudden have change if there is no element of change present. You want evidence, a photograph. A picture is a captured moment of time, which has no change or motion. It can't all of a sudden change or move. Why? because a photograph does not have the element of change present. This is my definition of time.

I propose, if there is a dimension where there is no time. Then nothing can occur in that dimension period. To by pass this rule in my argument is to completely ignore what time is.
xris

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 12:06 pm
@Krumple,
I'm not ignoring the notion just stating that there must have been an occasion,of no time, no visible event. No one appears to want to answer my question. I will ask again, if we run back the events of the universe we come to a point of singularity. If the instance before the singularity appeared was not visible, to this universe, we have to speculate. I theories that if this mass was so infinitely large then it would not have a visible space surrounding it nor would it give rise to time. If we have no space, no time , we have nothing,does anyone disagree?
Krumple

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 12:28 pm
@xris,
xris;99477 wrote:
I'm not ignoring the notion just stating that there must have been an occasion,of no time, no visible event. No one appears to want to answer my question. I will ask again, if we run back the events of the universe we come to a point of singularity. If the instance before the singularity appeared was not visible, to this universe, we have to speculate. I theories that if this mass was so infinitely large then it would not have a visible space surrounding it nor would it give rise to time. If we have no space, no time , we have nothing,does anyone disagree?

For a long time I considered that space was infinite but the matter was finite. Meaning the area of the universe was already there but our observation is that of the matter which is expanding. General relativity disagrees with that though. However; it only disagrees with that thought in one tiny way. Which is that matter and velocity have observable effects on time. This means that in some way the space itself is bound to the matter as well, which is what my original theory proposes are separate.

Here is one possibility. If traveling near the speed of light, time slows then could also having infinite mass also slow time? Why do I ask that? Because of that simple annoying equation states it. Nearing the speed of light an object would also increase in mass. So if you reverse the equation with the theory that the singularity has infinite mass then by all means it is either moving at the speed of light or time is being held incredibly slow, perhaps if you humor me, near stopped.

So personally I buy the theory that our universe is just one expansion that preceded a contraction. I even theorize that it would be possible to bring all the matter even space itself back into a singularity simply through the gravitational properties of blackholes and dark matter. Eventually all matter will recondence into a single point of incredibly high mass perhaps near infinite as silly as that might sound and for some reason becomes unstable and breaks appart recreating the universe.
xris

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 12:50 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;99481 wrote:
For a long time I considered that space was infinite but the matter was finite. Meaning the area of the universe was already there but our observation is that of the matter which is expanding. General relativity disagrees with that though. However; it only disagrees with that thought in one tiny way. Which is that matter and velocity have observable effects on time. This means that in some way the space itself is bound to the matter as well, which is what my original theory proposes are separate.

Here is one possibility. If traveling near the speed of light, time slows then could also having infinite mass also slow time? Why do I ask that? Because of that simple annoying equation states it. Nearing the speed of light an object would also increase in mass. So if you reverse the equation with the theory that the singularity has infinite mass then by all means it is either moving at the speed of light or time is being held incredibly slow, perhaps if you humor me, near stopped.

So personally I buy the theory that our universe is just one expansion that preceded a contraction. I even theorize that it would be possible to bring all the matter even space itself back into a singularity simply through the gravitational properties of blackholes and dark matter. Eventually all matter will recondence into a single point of incredibly high mass perhaps near infinite as silly as that might sound and for some reason becomes unstable and breaks appart recreating the universe.
I appreciate your thought pattern because i have gone that way to, in the past. Cosmologist object to that because they find no evidence of a universe prior to this expansion, no back ground noise that would remain from a previous universe. If you could overcome that problem and dismiss it, why should it, when reduced to this singularity not disappear? If it disappears then we have no time no space,it does not exist. Your reasoning only tries to describe the reason with no observable evidence.

We have very few options to consider when we look at the evidence. This universe, this space, is virgin to this universe, it has not been occupied before. It indicates that we need another dimension from where it could originate and do you know of any science that can define or even start to describe another dimension? Many try but the science is theoretical and only ever gives vague strange pictures that no one can truly say is logical.
Krumple

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 01:09 pm
@xris,
xris;99485 wrote:
I appreciate your thought pattern because i have gone that way to, in the past. Cosmologist object to that because they find no evidence of a universe prior to this expansion, no back ground noise that would remain from a previous universe. If you could overcome that problem and dismiss it, why should it, when reduced to this singularity not disappear? If it disappears then we have no time no space,it does not exist. Your reasoning only tries to describe the reason with no observable evidence.

Originally the thought arose when considering the boundary of the universe. To me I just couldn't wrap my brain around an "edge" or place or spot where there was a wall or part you could not go further into or past. Because naturally what arises from saying there is a boundary is, what is on the other side of that boundary? Nothing? Well if there is infinite nothing then we are back to an infinite space. So why couldn't space be therefore infinite and matter finite? I got into an endless loop and I just don't like edges without having two sides. I just am not schizophrenic enough to accept a single sided universe.

xris;99485 wrote:

We have very few options to consider when we look at the evidence. This universe, this space, is virgin to this universe, it has not been occupied before. It indicates that we need another dimension from where it could originate and do you know of any science that can define or even start to describe another dimension? Many try but the science is theoretical and only ever gives vague strange pictures that no one can truly say is logical.

Well the math states its possible. You can do the math but imagining what you are seeing is a whole different thing. It is possible that we exist in a sort of looped fabric where infinitely small becomes part of the infinity large. So it might not be so much as other dimensions but instead they are all apart of the same thing just in different states or focus. I can easily fathom everything as nothing but energy. Matter is dismissed and lazy energy takes it's place.
0 Replies

ACB

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 01:25 pm
@xris,
xris;99477 wrote:
I will ask again, if we run back the events of the universe we come to a point of singularity.

Do we come to a point of absolute singularity? Or do we merely come to a point of near-singularity? That is a crucial distinction.

---------- Post added 10-23-2009 at 08:27 PM ----------

Consider the following (from post #10 of this thread):
validity;79398 wrote:
The question of wether time is discrete or continuous is interesting. What occured prior to the planck time, 10-43 seconds is, currently, unknowable. I think it is unknowable only in that the very concepts we are familiar with ie space and time, cause and effect are no longer applicable. It becomes impossible to reach the actual event while hanging on to redundant concepts.
xris

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 02:41 pm
@ACB,
We are told we can only see the minutest fraction of a second after the singularity. We must assume that it did start from a given point in time or that it remained for ever in a state of potential expectation. At this point it was still invisible to any observation. All i want to examine is the fact for this universe, it was a novel experience.

Science tells us that at this moment we can see no reason for it not to continue to expand and we have no evidence of a previous universe. We must accept these observations or we will fail to ever come to a philosophical possible conclusion. The clues are there its up to us to examine them.
Krumple

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 02:57 pm
@xris,
xris;99504 wrote:
Science tells us that at this moment we can see no reason for it not to continue to expand and we have no evidence of a previous universe. We must accept these observations or we will fail to ever come to a philosophical possible conclusion. The clues are there its up to us to examine them.

Well for me, I have a few ideas about where the missing evidence is. Why couldn't the evidence be wiped away with the collapsed or re-condensed universe? Sort of like making some glass plane then shattering it and tossing it back into the kiln. Where is the evidence for the previous plane of glass? It's in the kiln. So basically all the background radiation is destroyed every time the universe collapses.

But you are right. It actually gets us no where to conclude that the universe is a constant loop of form and reform. Even if the universe was a one time deal that will eventually tear itself apart because of the ever increasing expansion rate, doesn't help us either.

I have a feeling, that when we (if ever) learn more about dark energy and dark matter. Our math of the current universe model might reflect my theory. I know that might sound a little arrogant or self righteous but the infinite loop universe just seems efficient and neat. Time is not even a factor in such a system because a renewed universe could have happened once or billions of times before, time would be unimportant. It also gives rise to all the possibilities or outcomes. Eventually everything and anything that could possibly happen will. Perhaps one of those, is that the universe never exists at all.
0 Replies

validity

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 11:49 pm
@xris,
xris;99406 wrote:
I agree that we have other theories but they are just speculative as any others , science does not answer these questions, it invents possibilities, that in fact have no more credibility than mine. They create more questions than answers.
Sure, your theory and the alternate example I linked are both speculative, but if you are measuring them both against credibility

the objective and subjective components of the believability of a source or message. Credibility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then, yes both theories have subjective components. However the alternate example has objective components as well i.e. testable predictions (these experiments are ongoing as the predictions have not been dismissed by previous experiments). I am not sure that the call of equal credibility is justified.

xris;99406 wrote:
One that parallel universe have collided. How do you define two universes, what separates them, a void or nothing, we cant have voids and nothing does not exist. String theory is having problems and as for other dimensions, has that obtained any credibility in science. It is mentioned quite glibly, as if we have found these other dimensions or they are facts of nature. The science of how it was created does not give a reason why or from whence.
You do not define two universes as, by definition there is only one universe, which includes all its components, of which some do not have the same dimensionality as others. What is thought to seperate these is not a void or nothing, but rather simply, another dimension. It is like saying, again rather simply, that volume is seperated from area by a higher dimension i.e. the thrid spatial dimension.

String theory does hold some credibility as some of its predictions are going to be tested at the LHC, eventually... one of these days...

I am afraid that there will always be the question of why or from whence, no matter what the explanation. For me it then becomes a matter of which explination holds more credibility.
xris

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 03:51 am
@validity,
validity;99562 wrote:
Sure, your theory and the alternate example I linked are both speculative, but if you are measuring them both against credibility

the objective and subjective components of the believability of a source or message. Credibility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then, yes both theories have subjective components. However the alternate example has objective components as well i.e. testable predictions (these experiments are ongoing as the predictions have not been dismissed by previous experiments). I am not sure that the call of equal credibility is justified.

You do not define two universes as, by definition there is only one universe, which includes all its components, of which some do not have the same dimensionality as others. What is thought to seperate these is not a void or nothing, but rather simply, another dimension. It is like saying, again rather simply, that volume is seperated from area by a higher dimension i.e. the thrid spatial dimension.

String theory does hold some credibility as some of its predictions are going to be tested at the LHC, eventually... one of these days...

I am afraid that there will always be the question of why or from whence, no matter what the explanation. For me it then becomes a matter of which explination holds more credibility.
Im not claiming two universities existing along side each other, i was referring to the links you gave, that advocated that proposal. If they don't live in the same dimension. the theory of other dimensions has to be explained allot more than science tries to at the moment. Credibility has to be from what we know, not what we claim we know. Observations and acceptance of what we see and can be examined. From what we observe, this universe appeared from nowhere. So I ask what is nothing and how do we describe this nothing. If a mass so large has the ability to be as nothing, no space or time , what is nothing? We have to accept this space the universe exists in, came from nothing, otherwise we would see evidence of it.

I can not accept any other theory, till it has been adequately proven, this idea that all events need a cause is not relevant to me.
Shostakovich phil

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 11:51 am
@xris,
xris;99577 wrote:
Im not claiming two universities existing along side each other, i was referring to the links you gave, that advocated that proposal. If they don't live in the same dimension. the theory of other dimensions has to be explained allot more than science tries to at the moment. Credibility has to be from what we know, not what we claim we know. Observations and acceptance of what we see and can be examined. From what we observe, this universe appeared from nowhere. So I ask what is nothing and how do we describe this nothing. If a mass so large has the ability to be as nothing, no space or time , what is nothing? We have to accept this space the universe exists in, came from nothing, otherwise we would see evidence of it.

I can not accept any other theory, till it has been adequately proven, this idea that all events need a cause is not relevant to me.

Considering all these thoughts I'm inviting, as I have just done to Zetherin in another thread, to read the thread I began: "Causal Argument ..."

The argument is a pure, philosophical argument. It amounts to a science of metaphysics, according to Immanuel Kant's definition of a science of metaphysics. The argument addresses all of these questions, regarding what is nothing ... how did the universe and all that it's made up of, begin? Why is the universe expanding? Why the big bang? Why the singularity?

The argument answers the question of the 'why it happened' as opposed to simply addressing the question of 'what happened.' There is a critical distinction that needs to be taken into account. Knowing what happened doesn't necessarily explain why it happened. Scientific books on the big bang often counfound the distinction between the why and the what. And this is the point my argument closes on.

I haven't posted yet the predictions that follow from my philosophical model/theory. I'll get around to doing that maybe in another thread. But I want to know whether the model/theory is a rational answer to all these questions and difficulties raised in this thread.
0 Replies

validity

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 02:18 am
@xris,
xris;99577 wrote:
From what we observe, this universe appeared from nowhere.
We must be careful here in order to preserve a critical difference. Yes it can be said that the universe appeared from nowhere, but that does not mean the universe came from nothing.

xris;99577 wrote:
So I ask what is nothing and how do we describe this nothing.
The critical difference is being blurred here. Above you say the universe appeared from nowhere, which is concieveable, in a sense that space appeared along with matter and energy. Nothing is stronger than nowhere. No thing can come from nothing, as nothing includes no possibility. What ever the reason for the universe, there was the possibility of it occuring. A state of nothing would of excluded the universe from ever occuring.

xris;99577 wrote:
If a mass so large has the ability to be as nothing, no space or time , what is nothing? We have to accept this space the universe exists in, came from nothing, otherwise we would see evidence of it.
What philosophy or science states that the universe came from nothing?