richrf

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2009 11:57 pm
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;79571 wrote:
It occurs to me that you might be interest in Lucid Dreaming -- Dream Views

I am interested in dreams myself, but i do not see dreams as being philosophy.

Different strokes for different folks. For me, it is crucial to understanding the nature of our being.

Rich
0 Replies

Shostakovich phil

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:20 pm
@validity,
The concepts of space and time before the big bang are still relevant. We just haven't come up with the kind of science of metaphysics that Kant postulated as a possible means of solving such questions. Read Kant's "Prolegomena to any Future Metaphysics That Might be Brought Forth as a Science." Kant speaks about the pure concepts of space and time, and he challenges speculative philosophers to come up with a science that would answer such questions as: "Did the universe have an ultimate first beginning?" The only reason we get bogged down in our thinking about such things as 'time before the big bang' is because we have no solution such as demanded by Kant. How about postulating a series of big bangs before the last big bang? What if this prior series of big bangs descended in intensity to the point of an absolute void (I mean by this, conversely, an intensifying series of expanding and contracting stages, all beginning with a singularity ... as the point from which these expansions began, and the point to which each expanding stage in this series, collapsed, only to expand again?) This would not be similar to the speculation of cosmologists regarding a bouncing universe. One that exapnds to a point and then collapses back to the state it began from. What I'm implying is an intensifying series of expanding stages (of space time and mass) all beginning with a singularity, and eventually leading up to the big bang that began our universe.
vectorcube

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 01:29 am
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;94859 wrote:
The concepts of space and time before the big bang are still relevant. We just haven't come up with the kind of science of metaphysics that Kant postulated as a possible means of solving such questions. Read Kant's "Prolegomena to any Future Metaphysics That Might be Brought Forth as a Science." Kant speaks about the pure concepts of space and time, and he challenges speculative philosophers to come up with a science that would answer such questions as: "Did the universe have an ultimate first beginning?" The only reason we get bogged down in our thinking about such things as 'time before the big bang' is because we have no solution such as demanded by Kant. How about postulating a series of big bangs before the last big bang? What if this prior series of big bangs descended in intensity to the point of an absolute void (I mean by this, conversely, an intensifying series of expanding and contracting stages, all beginning with a singularity ... as the point from which these expansions began, and the point to which each expanding stage in this series, collapsed, only to expand again?) This would not be similar to the speculation of cosmologists regarding a bouncing universe. One that exapnds to a point and then collapses back to the state it began from. What I'm implying is an intensifying series of expanding stages (of space time and mass) all beginning with a singularity, and eventually leading up to the big bang that began our universe.

It is more like fiction to me. You can postuate whatever entities you so desire, but i see no point in taking you seriously. What evidence can you give me? none whatsoever.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:30 am
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;94859 wrote:

Cosmolgists tell us there is no evidence of anything before. If we believe what we see and nothing more, then we must assume that as there was nothing before then this universe commenced, at the start of time and nothing preceded it. We cant speculate without answering certain questions that those speculation pose.
vectorcube

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 01:05 am
@xris,
xris;95740 wrote:
Cosmolgists tell us there is no evidence of anything before. If we believe what we see and nothing more, then we must assume that as there was nothing before then this universe commenced, at the start of time and nothing preceded it. We cant speculate without answering certain questions that those speculation pose.

Actually, the bb theory never say anything about the actual singularity, or what is "before" the singularity. The BB theory is a theory of what happen after the singularity. Alot of people like to lanch on about the universe coming from nothing. This is completely retarded. Saying that the universe come from nothing is not derivable from our natural laws. General relativity breaks at the singular. To ask about what happen before the BB is a question without any sense from the stand point of GR.
xris

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 03:53 am
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;96172 wrote:
Actually, the bb theory never say anything about the actual singularity, or what is "before" the singularity. The BB theory is a theory of what happen after the singularity. Alot of people like to lanch on about the universe coming from nothing. This is completely retarded. Saying that the universe come from nothing is not derivable from our natural laws. General relativity breaks at the singular. To ask about what happen before the BB is a question without any sense from the stand point of GR.
Once again you make assumptions that i dont know that , my point was that any who try to use science to explain what preceded the BB are just as inaccurate or accurate as any lay reasoning. By the evidence there was nothing , no time , so what is your reasoning?
ACB

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:08 am
@xris,
xris;96183 wrote:
Once again you make assumptions that i dont know that , my point was that any who try to use science to explain what preceded the BB are just as inaccurate or accurate as any lay reasoning. By the evidence there was nothing , no time , so what is your reasoning?

But "no evidence at all" is not the same as "evidence that there was nothing".

I don't think we can say anything, either positive or negative, about what (if anything) preceded the BB until physicists can give a clear description of the BB singularity itself, not just the situation a fraction of a second after it. To do this they will need a theory supplementing general relativity. Then they may discover all sorts of things that will throw new light on the problem. In particular, the claim that "there was no time or space before the BB" may turn out to be false, or at least an over-simplification. In the meantime, we must keep our minds open; I don't think "there was nothing" is justified as a default position.

Personally, I have a problem both with the "something from nothing" concept and with the idea of an infinite number of universes. Firstly, as has often been said, if something came from nothing, then "nothing" would have the potential for giving rise to something, so it would not truly be "nothing". Secondly, I can only conceive of "infinity" as an abstract concept signifying the absence of a mathematical limit. To apply it to a complete set of actually existing entities strikes me as incoherent, and leads to paradoxes. If mathematicians want to think of infinity as "real", that is one thing, but in physics it seems problematic.
xris

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 07:35 am
@ACB,
You must remember also that the laws of nature could have been created at the bb, it gives no inclination that those laws existed before. It is a matter of musing not concluding and my only argument that all are relevant and also logically impossible. No one has the whip handle, no masters in physics can conclude better than anyone else.

It is conceivable something comes from nothing. Try to imagine this appearance of the bb does it come from somewhere else ? Where could all of the universe be transferred from, in an infinitesimal amount time? Its just as mind blowing as saying it came from nothing?

Can you explain to me why a mass so dense so compact that it could stop time or space escaping, could it not be seen as nothing? What is nothing? if you imagine this mass as nothing, in a constant state of nothingness, then it never existed except in its own being. We cant imagine nothing so why cant we imagine something occurring from an unobserved nothing.

The start of something from nothing can not be denied but only our strange opportunity to observe this something from the most opportune moment in the universes history. No other time or place would we be able to muse and observe.
vectorcube

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 05:39 pm
@xris,
xris;96183 wrote:

I am saying that it makes no sense to ask what is before the bb from the stand point of general relativity. Even declaring that there was nothing before the bb is itself without sense from GR. GR don` t tell us anything before the bb, nor does it say there was nothing before the bb.
xris

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 03:34 am
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;96404 wrote:
I am saying that it makes no sense to ask what is before the bb from the stand point of general relativity. Even declaring that there was nothing before the bb is itself without sense from GR. GR don` t tell us anything before the bb, nor does it say there was nothing before the bb.
Ah so I'm not allowed to say there was no before but also not allowed to say there was nothing. Now you tell me your theory and please don't mention before the bb as you have admitted there was no before. You make claims that you know what caused the bb but refuse to elaborate, now i would ask you to speak up and be more constructive.

You give me the evidence that confirms there was something, considering QM has made the claim that the universe could be a present from nowhere.
vectorcube

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 05:22 am
@xris,
xris;96479 wrote:
Ah so I'm not allowed to say there was no before but also not allowed to say there was nothing. Now you tell me your theory and please don't mention before the bb as you have admitted there was no before. You make claims that you know what caused the bb but refuse to elaborate, now i would ask you to speak up and be more constructive.

You give me the evidence that confirms there was something, considering QM has made the claim that the universe could be a present from nowhere.

Look, i did not make any claims at all about what cause the bb. You did. I am telling you what you say cannot be supported by GR. Get it?

It is true that some physicists say the universe come out of a quantum fluctuation. This is different from saying GR implies there was nothing before the bb.

I don t know why you want to bring in QM. This is completely unrelated to your comment that the universe came from nothing. If you think a quantum vacuum is nothing, then you are wrong. A quantum vaccum is fill of virtual particles, quantum fields described by quantum mechanics. To even think this is nothing is laughable. What is good about the QM explanation is that it makes the bb a natural event comforming to the laws of quantum mechanics. This is good. You explanation postulates a state of nothing, which seems intuitively plausible, but an emprically falsified idea. There is simply no evidence of a state of pure nothing. This is no different from saying god created the bb. There is no evidence for god.
xris

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 07:55 am
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;96491 wrote:
Look, i did not make any claims at all about what cause the bb. You did. I am telling you what you say cannot be supported by GR. Get it?

It is true that some physicists say the universe come out of a quantum fluctuation. This is different from saying GR implies there was nothing before the bb.

I don t know why you want to bring in QM. This is completely unrelated to your comment that the universe came from nothing. If you think a quantum vacuum is nothing, then you are wrong. A quantum vaccum is fill of virtual particles, quantum fields described by quantum mechanics. To even think this is nothing is laughable. What is good about the QM explanation is that it makes the bb a natural event comforming to the laws of quantum mechanics. This is good. You explanation postulates a state of nothing, which seems intuitively plausible, but an emprically falsified idea. There is simply no evidence of a state of pure nothing. This is no different from saying god created the bb. There is no evidence for god.
You are jumping to conclusions, i have never pronounced that it comes from nothing only that it is perceived as nothing and it begs the question what is nothing and what is seen as nothing. If the two are undetectable or are the same how can you say the bb did not come from nothing. The laws of QM do not describe gravity at this event, the singularity, so to claim they do is false. All cosmologist can tell us that the laws of physics break down and QM has not resolved these problems, yet.
ACB

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 07:56 am
@xris,
xris;96215 wrote:
You must remember also that the laws of nature could have been created at the bb, it gives no inclination that those laws existed before.

Different laws could have existed before (perhaps involving quantum mechanics).

xris;96215 wrote:
It is a matter of musing not concluding and my only argument that all are relevant and also logically impossible. No one has the whip handle, no masters in physics can conclude better than anyone else.

OK, but you should therefore suspend judgement until we know more about the BB singularity itself.

xris;96215 wrote:
It is conceivable something comes from nothing.

I do not find it conceivable. But if it is, there is no evidence for (or against) it.

xris;96215 wrote:
Try to imagine this appearance of the bb does it come from somewhere else ? Where could all of the universe be transferred from, in an infinitesimal amount time? Its just as mind blowing as saying it came from nothing?

Is it? I don't know. I think one needs detailed scientific knowledge in order to speculate usefully about this.

xris;96215 wrote:
Can you explain to me why a mass so dense so compact that it could stop time or space escaping, could it not be seen as nothing? What is nothing? if you imagine this mass as nothing, in a constant state of nothingness, then it never existed except in its own being. We cant imagine nothing so why cant we imagine something occurring from an unobserved nothing.

I am not sure what you mean. How can a dense mass be nothing? A mass is a thing. (If it were nothing, there would be no difference between saying "there was a mass" and "there was not a mass".) And the ability to "stop time or space escaping" is a positive attribute, which must be possessed by something. And can you please clarify what you mean by "never existed except in its own being".
xris

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 08:26 am
@ACB,
What are you denying is possible? that the singularity held all the matter in the universe? that it was invisible before it appeared? That space and time did not exist beyond its boundary at the point of the singularity?

Are you claiming it came from somewhere else or something caused it to explode from another dimension? I have yet to hear an alternative theory that gives clear indication of what might have happened. All we know is that the singularity appeared, so tell me did it exist before it appeared or not.
0 Replies

vectorcube

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 01:41 pm
@xris,
xris;96504 wrote:
You are jumping to conclusions, i have never pronounced that it comes from nothing only that it is perceived as nothing and it begs the question what is nothing and what is seen as nothing. If the two are undetectable or are the same how can you say the bb did not come from nothing. The laws of QM do not describe gravity at this event, the singularity, so to claim they do is false. All cosmologist can tell us that the laws of physics break down and QM has not resolved these problems, yet.

Sorry, but saying that it is "perceived as nothing" is as absurd as saying there was nothing. Since there is no evidence of "pure nothing", then whatever it is cannot be perseived.

You comment about the laws of physics break down at the bb in completely unrelated to the QM origin of the universe. In fact, all we need is QM + inflation. What QM tells us is that whatever that can happen will happen, thus, producing the initial amount of energy, forming the potential field that allow inflation to take over. There is no need for a theory of quantum gravity in this story. This is a self-consistent story. Of course, there are other stories.
xris

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 02:05 pm
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;96557 wrote:
Sorry, but saying that it is "perceived as nothing" is as absurd as saying there was nothing. Since there is no evidence of "pure nothing", then whatever it is cannot be perseived.

You comment about the laws of physics break down at the bb in completely unrelated to the QM origin of the universe. In fact, all we need is QM + inflation. What QM tells us is that whatever that can happen will happen, thus, producing the initial amount of energy, forming the potential field that allow inflation to take over. There is no need for a theory of quantum gravity in this story. This is a self-consistent story. Of course, there are other stories.
Then tell me what evidence is there that there was something before, not supposition on unproven theories of QM, that allowed the sequence to develop. You have to explain your views before long or your credibility will start to fail, sitting on the fence giving varied views of others will not do.
vectorcube

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 02:10 pm
@xris,
xris;96568 wrote:
Then tell me what evidence is there that there was something before, not supposition on unproven theories of QM, that allowed the sequence to develop. You have to explain your views before long or your credibility will start to fail, sitting on the fence giving varied views of others will not do.

This is not my view. I am just telling you that the QM view of the origin comes from presupposing the existence of the laws of QM, and inflation in order to make it work. I am supposing that there was something before, namely, the QM laws and inflation. This is at least better than your view of supposing that the bb is some sort of mysterious event.
xris

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 02:31 pm
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;96571 wrote:
This is not my view. I am just telling you that the QM view of the origin comes from presupposing the existence of the laws of QM, and inflation in order to make it work. I am supposing that there was something before, namely, the QM laws and inflation. This is at least better than your view of supposing that the bb is some sort of mysterious event.
It is a mysterious event if you cant prove it did not come from nothing.
vectorcube

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 02:53 pm
@xris,
xris;96581 wrote:
It is a mysterious event if you cant prove it did not come from nothing.

I don ` t need to prove it. You need to know that there are better explanations that do not make the bb out to be some mysterious thing that came out of some mysterious state( Eg: nothing).
xris

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 03:14 pm
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;96588 wrote:
I don ` t need to prove it. You need to know that there are better explanations that do not make the bb out to be some mysterious thing that came out of some mysterious state( Eg: nothing).
Oh for goodness sake how many times must i ask you to give it your best shot..come on what better explaination is there.. NO quotes or links ,your proposals based on your own thoughts or those you have accepted as possible..come on, i will ask one more time..