vectorcube

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 12:23 pm
@xris,
xris;97692 wrote:
Im calm and my question is clear, the problem is that you refuse to answer any question that might just show your inability to consider my reasoning.

Well, why don ` t you try to ask me again. Be more coherent, because i cannot read your mind.
xris

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 12:27 pm
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;97695 wrote:
Well, why don ` t you try to ask me again. Be more coherent, because i cannot read your mind.
Im going to the pub, im sure you can work it out yourself,night.
0 Replies

Shostakovich phil

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 08:27 pm
@Alan McDougall,
... reference for Kant's phrase, "The magic wand of so-called common-sense"? I would appreciated it.[/QUOTE]

Kant's "Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics," [368-369] Under the heading "Solution of the General Question of the Prolegomena ... How is Metaphysics Possible as Science?"

"But there are two things which, in case the challenge be accepted, I must deprecate: first, trifling about probability and conjecture, which are suited as little to metaphysics as to geometry; and secondly, a decision by means of the magic wand of so-called common sense, which does not convince everyone but accommodates itself to personal peculiarities."

this is found on page 117-118 of my edition from the Library of Liberal Arts, with an introduction by Lew White Beck -Bobbs-Merrill, NY, 1980.

---------- Post added 10-15-2009 at 08:14 PM ----------

vectorcube;97563 wrote:

you can` t say the bb is philosophy. It is part of science, and for all that we know, the bb might be explicable by physical laws.

Read the posts more carefully. No one is saying the big bang is philosophy. It's a cosmological explanation. But that doesn't prohibit philosophical discussion about it, right? The only point of interest for me here is that physics only goes so far (I doubt that any new laws of physics will be found ... but that's open for debate). Metaphysics goes beyond physics, so we can use deductive reasoning to speculate about a Cause for the big bang. Physics is not the only instrument we have to arrive at understanding. Philosophy can help, if the method is strict and rigorous enough ... which I'm assuming is what you're looking for (as opposed to groundless, or unsupported speculations). Immanuel Kant, despite the present analytic tradition of philosophy, still has relevance to the subject of metaphysics ... and here, he continues to be sorely misunderstood.

Kant asks for a 'science of metaphysics.' I think his approach is one that if followed, would result in a strict system of deductive reasoning that would present a metaphysical solution to the question of the origin of the universe that's consistent from its premise to its final conclusion.

The question goes far beyond the scope of physics. Only metaphysics holds out the possibility of a solution.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 01:44 am
@xris,
xris;97692 wrote:
Im calm and my question is clear, the problem is that you refuse to answer any question that might just show your inability to consider my reasoning.

Xris the BB singularity was not a black hole or any hole for that matter, according to science it was point particle of infinite density and zero dimension

But is reality it is all speculation!

Maybe that answer will satisfy your new hostile friend (or enemy) :bigsmile:
xris

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 09:34 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;97830 wrote:
Xris the BB singularity was not a black hole or any hole for that matter, according to science it was point particle of infinite density and zero dimension

But is reality it is all speculation!

Maybe that answer will satisfy your new hostile friend (or enemy) :bigsmile:
Alan im not asking to imagine the bb as a giant black hole but imagine all the mass and energy the universe contains and bring it all together. Now with the gravitational effect of that proposal do you think space or time could escape? Do you think it would be visible?
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 02:54 am
@xris,
xris;97893 wrote:
Alan im not asking to imagine the bb as a giant black hole but imagine all the mass and energy the universe contains and bring it all together. Now with the gravitational effect of that proposal do you think space or time could escape? Do you think it would be visible?

According to no less than Einstein at the almost infinite gravity that existed in the BB singularity, time should not have flowed, entropy being zero then, so cause and effect could not have happened.

But the universe did not know that time could not flow in a field of infinite gravity and proved Einstein wrong and somehow started the clock of eternity against all the logic of physics

Astrophysicist tell us at the event horizon of of a black hole, due to the enormous gravity time stands still or stops. But the conditions in the BB were much more severe yet time flowed against all known logic
xris

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 04:03 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;98435 wrote:
According to no less than Einstein at the almost infinite gravity that existed in the BB singularity, time should not have flowed, entropy being zero then, so cause and effect could not have happened.

But the universe did not know that time could not flow in a field of infinite gravity and proved Einstein wrong and somehow started the clock of eternity against all the logic of physics

Astrophysicist tell us at the event horizon of of a black hole, due to the enormous gravity time stands still or stops. But the conditions in the BB were much more severe yet time flowed against all known logic
If this enormous mass was not apparent in time and space how can we be so certain it existed. If we can not examine prior to this event how can we be so certain that it had a chain of events prior to this event. I still maintain that no theory of its cause satisfies any known laws or can propose any reasoned reasoning. When men of science say it must be an event with a cause they refuse to enter into meaningful dialogue about the possibilities. I maintain it came from nothing, can anyone prove otherwise?
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 01:26 am
@xris,
xris;98440 wrote:
If this enormous mass was not apparent in time and space how can we be so certain it existed. If we can not examine prior to this event how can we be so certain that it had a chain of events prior to this event. I still maintain that no theory of its cause satisfies any known laws or can propose any reasoned reasoning. When men of science say it must be an event with a cause they refuse to enter into meaningful dialogue about the possibilities. I maintain it came from nothing, can anyone prove otherwise?

You see at the moment before creation, just before the universe was to begin to emerge from the singularity, time indeed stood still. like a primordial stopwatch, someone clicked this primordial stopwatch and allowed it to run for as long as our universe will exist
xris

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 04:20 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;98708 wrote:
You see at the moment before creation, just before the universe was to begin to emerge from the singularity, time indeed stood still. like a primordial stopwatch, someone clicked this primordial stopwatch and allowed it to run for as long as our universe will exist
Yes Alan but did it have a history of eternity of nothing or did it appear from nothing and is there difference?
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 06:33 am
@xris,
xris;98717 wrote:
Yes Alan but did it have a history of eternity of nothing or did it appear from nothing and is there difference?

In my opinion the singularity did not appear out of nothing but out of something, maybe another universe, even a White Hole spewing out its energy from a Black Hole from another universe

There simply is no state of nothingness only eternal something albeit in amazing different forms
ACB

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 07:13 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;98708 wrote:

But how could someone click a primordial stopwatch while time stood still? That would mean that the stopwatch was in an unclicked state and a clicked state simultaneously, which is a contradiction.

I am not sure that the idea of "time standing still" is coherent. If time stands still between moment A and moment B, then A and B are the same moment, are they not? So obviously nothing can happen in the interval between A and B, because that interval has zero duration. I therefore think it would be better to say something like "no events took place" or "there was no motion" during the interval in question, though time flowed.

What, if anything, preceded moment A, or whether there was a moment A, is something to which I will not venture an answer. Speculation about "nothing" or "nothingness" is too abstract for me to make sense of. But I cannot rule out the possibility that something positive existed before the BB. I don't see why the burden of proof should be on those who think it did. We simply don't know either way.
xris

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 11:33 am
@Alan McDougall,
I simple wish for those who oppose my reasoning to stop saying we dont know and to advance alternatives we could examine. If we leave it simple to science, it will never be resolved.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 12:59 pm
@vectorcube,
U is bigger then one, any number represents it, completely...once its operational function in the group should identify all the others...in consequence is Identity equals U, and gives us is view of U from a certain perspective, thus simulating motion when we change from a number to another...Gestalt effect of UBB Inflation 123456789 Contraction -1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 BC ...BB...

BB-Big-Bang
BC-Big-Crunch

Regards>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE
0 Replies

ACB

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 02:25 pm
@xris,
xris;98802 wrote:
I simple wish for those who oppose my reasoning to stop saying we dont know and to advance alternatives we could examine.

Well, here's one:

There was never an absolute singularity. The volume of the universe was never zero, and its density was never infinite. The previously existing laws caused a contraction, or some other process, which gave the universe an extremely high (but finite) density that destroyed or radically changed those old laws, and resulted in the laws that we observe today. Time and/or space was affected in such a way that no trace of the earlier laws remains.

What evidence do I have for this scenario? None whatever - but nor is there any evidence for a contrary view.
xris

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 02:41 pm
@ACB,
ACB;98844 wrote:
Well, here's one:

There was never an absolute singularity. The volume of the universe was never zero, and its density was never infinite. The previously existing laws caused a contraction, or some other process, which gave the universe an extremely high (but finite) density that destroyed or radically changed those old laws, and resulted in the laws that we observe today. Time and/or space was affected in such a way that no trace of the earlier laws remains.

What evidence do I have for this scenario? None whatever - but nor is there any evidence for a contrary view.
Yours is more imaginative and ignores the laws that exist and denies the observed evidence. So who is nearer to explaining what we see without turning into a magic trick, you or me? I'm not being cynical but Ive tried to explain, no other theory has any more credibility than mine, but mine is classified as stupid, by many.
0 Replies

Shostakovich phil

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 09:07 pm
@ACB,
ACB;98738 wrote:

What, if anything, preceded moment A, or whether there was a moment A, is something to which I will not venture an answer. Speculation about "nothing" or "nothingness" is too abstract for me to make sense of. But I cannot rule out the possibility that something positive existed before the BB. I don't see why the burden of proof should be on those who think it did. We simply don't know either way.

How about a collapse and a rebound -expansion then collapse then expansion then collapse. The zero point would simply be a transition between one state and the other -a sudden state of equilibrium just before the next stage. This would explain the zero state of time, momentarily moving from one direction to the other ... backwards with collapse, forwards with expansion.

Just one other way to speculate about it.
Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 01:54 am
@xris,
xris;98802 wrote:
I simple wish for those who oppose my reasoning to stop saying we dont know and to advance alternatives we could examine. If we leave it simple to science, it will never be resolved.

How about this xris our universe is a white hole spewing out from a huge black hole in one of an infinite number of other universes. No need for God then
0 Replies

xris

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 05:13 am
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;98905 wrote:
How about a collapse and a rebound -expansion then collapse then expansion then collapse. The zero point would simply be a transition between one state and the other -a sudden state of equilibrium just before the next stage. This would explain the zero state of time, momentarily moving from one direction to the other ... backwards with collapse, forwards with expansion.

Just one other way to speculate about it.
Once again the observations rule this out as we see no evidence of a before.

---------- Post added 10-21-2009 at 06:16 AM ----------

Alan McDougall;98941 wrote:
How about this xris our universe is a white hole spewing out from a huge black hole in one of an infinite number of other universes. No need for God then
Where do you hide these other universes ? are they in another dimension that is invisible to us? Its another theory that ignores known science and invents a magical everlasting series of unseen universes. Whats more feasible mine or yours?
ACB

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 06:34 am
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;98905 wrote:

There is a problem with the idea of time moving backwards. Suppose it is now 2009, and time is going backwards. In which direction would my memory point? Would I remember the events of 2008, or those of 2010? If I (and everyone else) remembered 2008, then time would still appear to be going forwards for everyone; there would be no external reference frame in which time could be said to be going backwards, so the idea would be meaningless. If, on the other hand, we all remembered 2010 and not 2008, our mental state would be different from what it had been on the forward journey, so the backward journey would not involve an exact reversal of events, but something new. So, in that case too, we might as well say that time is still moving forwards.
xris

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 07:13 am
@ACB,
ACB;98967 wrote:
There is a problem with the idea of time moving backwards. Suppose it is now 2009, and time is going backwards. In which direction would my memory point? Would I remember the events of 2008, or those of 2010? If I (and everyone else) remembered 2008, then time would still appear to be going forwards for everyone; there would be no external reference frame in which time could be said to be going backwards, so the idea would be meaningless. If, on the other hand, we all remembered 2010 and not 2008, our mental state would be different from what it had been on the forward journey, so the backward journey would not involve an exact reversal of events, but something new. So, in that case too, we might as well say that time is still moving forwards.
I don't think he is advocating time moving backwards, just matter collapsing in on itself.Even if science can theoretically say this is possible there is no evidence that this has happened before. So we must assume this event is the first.
0 Replies