Dawkins on Evolution

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 02:57 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;91790 wrote:
A quote from the essay that started this thread:

So - are you saying, or are you not saying, that Richard Dawkins denies the existence of God, on the basis of evolution?

Context my friend:

Quote:
Where does that leave God? The kindest thing to say is that it leaves him with nothing to do, and no achievements that might attract our praise, our worship or our fear. Evolution is God's redundancy notice, his pink slip. But we have to go further. A complex creative intelligence with nothing to do is not just redundant. A divine designer is all but ruled out by the consideration that he must at least as complex as the entities he was wheeled out to explain. God is not dead. He was never alive in the first place.

His obvious meaning was such:

"Science has explained those things for which we were awed by God, therefore there is really no reason to worship or even believe in God."

This is an entirely different statement from:

"Science has explained that there is no God."
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 03:22 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
But not much of a difference.

In the first statement it is asserted that belief in God was/is contingent on the lack of natural explanations for various natural phenomenon, such as the diversity of life on Earth. However, if by chance belief in God rests, or can rest, upon something other than a lack of natural explanation for certain natural phenomenon, then the first statement is incorrect to assert that there is no reason to believe in or worship God.

And it would require woeful ignorance of theology and the history of theism to believe that belief in God is contingent upon a lack of natural explanation for certain natural phenomenon.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 05:07 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;91978 wrote:
But not much of a difference.

In the first statement it is asserted that belief in God was/is contingent on the lack of natural explanations for various natural phenomenon, such as the diversity of life on Earth. However, if by chance belief in God rests, or can rest, upon something other than a lack of natural explanation for certain natural phenomenon, then the first statement is incorrect to assert that there is no reason to believe in or worship God.

And it would require woeful ignorance of theology and the history of theism to believe that belief in God is contingent upon a lack of natural explanation for certain natural phenomenon.

So how do people come to believe anything in the absense of natural phenomenon?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 05:10 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Did I ever say that they did such a thing, MFtP?

Do you want a theology lesson? Go read some summaries of Augustine, Aquinas, St. John of the Cross, Plotinus, ect if you want some idea as to why people believe other than lack of a natural explanation for certain natural phenomenon.

You may not believe as these people do, but if you do this much research, you will find there are a great many other reasons why people believe in God aside from the ones Dawkins imagines. And that is what matters when debunking his theologically ignorant argument.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 05:22 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;92023 wrote:
Did I ever say that they did such a thing, MFtP?

Do you want a theology lesson? Go read some summaries of Augustine, Aquinas, St. John of the Cross, Plotinus, ect if you want some idea as to why people believe other than lack of a natural explanation for certain natural phenomenon.

You may not believe as these people do, but if you do this much research, you will find there are a great many other reasons why people believe in God aside from the ones Dawkins imagines. And that is what matters when debunking his theologically ignorant argument.

Answer me this: if all natural phenomenon are explained naturally, where does one find a reason to believe?

That was the point of my question.

Is there some bridge between the physical and the metaphysical that exists within believers, and if so, does this lead to absolute religious relativism? Observation of natural phenomenon is our yardstick we need for our beliefs to be anything other than arbitrary.
richrf

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 05:47 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;91933 wrote:
I'm not suggesting there aren't any out there, but I cannot think of a single scientist whose ideas based on faith and belief have made an article of scientific consensus without challenge.

So I'm asking - politely enough I feel - for you to enlighten me.

If you can't do it - fine, just admit it - but don't say "oh there's loads but I won't mention them for fear of a fight" - that's a bit spurious.

If you mention a name and idea that I think has been challenged I'll explain why I think so - but it needn't become a argument at all really. I promise to be gentle.

There are tons of belief, conjectures, and unwarranted extrapolations. But it is so much part of the scientific belief process (faith) at this point, I don't think scientists even see it any more. And even if they do, they keep their mouths shut so that not to upset anyone, particularly their superiors or funding sources. And if anyone outside of the field tries to point it out, they are castigated by the journals and mainstream scientists. The medical field in general is basically ruled by this phenomenon.

Anyway, it is not for me to teach, merely to state my own beliefs and put them out there. If you wish, I am sure you are more than incisive enough to find them yourself. They are everywhere. But, you have to want to find them and admit them to yourself. It is not for me to do that.

Rich
prothero

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 06:14 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;92025 wrote:
Answer me this: if all natural phenomenon are explained naturally, where does one find a reason to believe?

Well despite the tremendous contributions of science to our understanding of the world over the last 300 years we are far from explaining all "natural phenomenon" or all of experience. There are those who claim science will in the future explain all. I would classify that as a metaphysical assumption which has no more basis than the opposite view that science can only provide us with a partial and incomplete view which is limited to the material aspects of reality. Clearly believers accept the later not the former.

Mr. Fight the Power;92025 wrote:
Is there some bridge between the physical and the metaphysical that exists within believers, and if so, does this lead to absolute religious relativism? Observation of natural phenomenon is our yardstick we need for our beliefs to be anything other than arbitrary.
Well there is some common ground shared between all the enduring religious traditions. Compassion is almost universally seen as the basis of ethics. Unity, oneness, or interconnectedness is almost always seen as the nature of ultimate reality.
God is given credit for the "creation" of life and the universe even if one accepts theistic naturalism (god acting through nature and natural law not supernatural means). The divine is typically regarded as beyond human language, thought or conception it its entirety (through a glass darkly).

Fundamentally "the religious" look at the universe and see purpose and direction, the creation of order from chaos, complexity, life, mind and experience. They do not regard these events as being entirely due to randomness, accident or chance. In truth science does not impute motives or purposes nor does it deny them.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 06:47 pm
@prothero,
prothero;92036 wrote:
Well despite the tremendous contributions of science to our understanding of the world over the last 300 years we are far from explaining all "natural phenomenon" or all of experience. There are those who claim science will in the future explain all. I would classify that as a metaphysical assumption which has no more basis than the opposite view that science can only provide us with a partial and incomplete view which is limited to the material aspects of reality. Clearly believers accept the later not the former.

Yes, but that feeds into Dawkins' point that God has nothing to do.

Quote:
Well there is some common ground shared between all the enduring religious traditions. Compassion is almost universally seen as the basis of ethics. Unity, oneness, or interconnectedness is almost always seen as the nature of ultimate reality.
God is given credit for the "creation" of life and the universe even if one accepts theistic naturalism (god acting through nature and natural law not supernatural means). The divine is typically regarded as beyond human language, thought or conception it its entirety (through a glass darkly).

There is a ridiculous amount of evidence showing that universal empathy is a evolutionary trait.

When we start getting into pantheism and those sort of things, we get into the Spinozan thought line where God created the universe as he had to, which is hardly an improvement on the situation.

Quote:
Fundamentally "the religious" look at the universe and see purpose and direction, the creation of order from chaos, complexity, life, mind and experience. They do not regard these events as being entirely due to randomness, accident or chance. In truth science does not impute motives or purposes nor does it deny them.

I agree with what you are saying, but science has explained a great deal without inputting motive. It may not explain everything, but what it doesn't explain will be minute.
jeeprs

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 08:02 pm
@richrf,
all of this is always a question of interpretation. Scientific method by definition deals with objective realities and phenomena that can be investigated by experimentation and analysis. In this sense I believe it is perfectly true there is no such being as an objective deity or God who does things, orchestrates the world, or creates and designs beings. I believe this is an anthropocentric fallacy which has been created by religious people to give themselves a sense of comfort in the world. It is derived from the literal interpretation of various metaphorical texts and philosophies and then projected onto the world at large. It is no use arguing with people who believe that kind of thing. They cling to their belief out of an emotional requirement. Oddly, Dawkins is like this also. he has become like it from arguing with them and so has become similar to what he is fighting. That is a law of some kind.

However, if you read the Karen Armstrong essay at the beginning of this thread, you will see that traditional theology also does not posit God as such 'a being' or an objective reality of any type. God, if there is a God, is beyond existence, a reality beyond all phenomenal form. In Neoplatonist philosophy, this is not even called 'God' but 'the One' which does not 'act' and certainly does not 'do anything' like a cosmic design department labouring over eye structures and insect wings (which is pretty much how Dawkins imagines a 'God' must be).

But how, you ask, can such a being even be known? Religions and spiritual philosophies are full of metaphors for different states of being, and different levels of realisation. Of course most people will reject the very notion higher states and the like. But the difference between asserting the existence of God, and asserting the existence of higher states, is that you can actually realise higher states, and in that sense verify their reality. It also provides a key to the interpretation of these myths and symbols which is far more fruitful than this 'is/is not/is' slanging match.

In my view, this is what religion was originally intended to signify. But it has crystallised and hardened into myths, rituals, statutes, beliefs, all of the externals of institutionalised faith which is the subject of this dispute. I ought really not take up this argument, because I have not the least interest in defending institutionalised faith of this kind. On the other hand, the states of higher awareness and the associated understandings are very important. And the idea that various religions have many different insights into them, and may preserve the understanding of transcendent truths which are not available to the profane imagination, is more realistic and more fruitful than the idea that the whole religious imagination is just a delusion.

Dawkins has never had it happen to him, whatever it is. His spiritual centers are completely inactivated. So it is like a tone deaf person commenting on Beethoven or Bach. He can't hear the music, it all seems nonsense to him, 'what are all those silly people going on about, they must be mad'. So it is very deep, in some ways, and ridiculously trivial, in others. People in the West have huge hang-ups about spirituality, it is like a massive field of conspiracy theories and apocalyptic imaginings about the end of the world and the rest of it. It is all a huge collective neurosis in my view.

I have been arguing about this with various people on various forums for months now, really I am probably being very annoying to them, and certainly the whole thing annoys the heck out of me. So really, once and for all, I have to exit this whole God Delusion debate, I really think at the end of the day it is a sideshow. If you want to believe the Universe is meaningless, that everthing just comes about because of atoms running into each other, well bully for you. I just don't buy it and I never will, but I don't want to make you wrong or win the argument. I just want to do something useful.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 08:21 pm
@richrf,
richrf;91897 wrote:
I read tons of studies, particularly in medical journals
Such as? I'm curious to know what primary medical literature you've read lately -- that's not a statement of doubt, just one of extreme surprise given your disdain for medical research. If you'd like to do a scientific journal club here or in a different thread, I'd be very eager to see how you read and critique a scientific study.

richrf;91897 wrote:
it is easy to point out the biases
It's easy to point out conflict of interest biases. It's not so easy to point out methodological biases, like type 1 and type 2 error based on power calculations.

We do journal clubs with critical review as a routine exercise, so I agree that few studies are flawless. But the thing is that for well established science the flaws are not usually the same from one study to the next, so they can still corroborate each other.

richrf;91897 wrote:
That there is real unbiased peer review is a pretense
Hmm, I'm a peer reviewer right now for an article on brucellosis, which I've never seen before in my career and I have no stake in the matter. I may be a biased reviewer because I'm not very smart, but I'm not biased because I care what their findings are.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 09:58 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;92042 wrote:
Yes, but that feeds into Dawkins' point that God has nothing to do.

God has everything to do for a theist. The divine is the "ground of being" the "essence of existence", No God, No universe. God and the world are mutually dependent. God is the realm of possibility and the universe is possibility becoming actuality. The imposition of order on the formless void, etc. the divine relativity. There is no argument that demolishes theism. The conception of God changes through history and the god of supernatural theism is likely to diminish but there will remain some persistent conception of the divine. There is wisdom in the "natural order of things".

There is a ridiculous amount of evidence showing that universal empathy is a evolutionary trait.

Yes but if one can accept evolution as divine mechanism for creation (as naturalistic theists do) then it poses no problem for them. They will see everything as a "manifestation of the divine" or "an evolution of the spirit". The unfolding of the cosmos, of life, of history is all part of the divine mystery.

When we start getting into pantheism and those sort of things, we get into the Spinozan thought line where God created the universe as he had to, which is hardly an improvement on the situation.
Personally I think the notion that the universe has larger, purpose, meaning and significance is an improvement over the notion that it is accidental, random and chance. The percentage of humans who deny any form of higher power or purpose is a very small minority.

I agree with what you are saying, but science has explained a great deal without inputting motive. It may not explain everything, but what it doesn't explain will be minute.

Well that remains to be seen. Personally I do not think the mechanistic deterministic view is tenable even from a scientific viewpoint. You may be right. At the current time I think there is a great deal science does not yet explain particularly in the realm of subjective experience and phenomenology.

If one wants to argue against organized religion, point out the absurdity of the crusades, religious wars and the inquisition in a religion supposedly founded on the principle of love more power to you. If one wants to point out that the 6000 year old earth, creation in seven days, the special creation of man, and the notion of the universe as a stage for creation, fall, redemption or incarnation, atonement and salvation in any literal sense is absurd and irrational, it is. If one wants to object to the notion of God as some kind of divine tyrant, judge and lawgiver who saves some and condemns others, so do I. There remains however the more sophisticated religious notions enduring and mystical about a deeper meaning and purpose, a notion of "wisdom and reason in the natural order of things" that is not shaken by science or evolution and which will and has endured.
Aedes

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 10:05 pm
@prothero,
prothero;92084 wrote:
The percentage of humans who deny any form of higher power or purpose is a very small minority...

There remains however the more sophisticated religious notions enduring and mystical about a deeper meaning and purpose, a notion of "wisdom and reason in the natural order of things" that is not shaken by science or evolution and which will and has endured.
The thought that we are mere 'things' drives us crazy. We've gotta be more than molecules and cosmic dust, right????

That's what philosophy and religion come from -- the fact that we are subject to all the physical crap in the universe, but dammit we've just gotta be something more. But this human inclination doesn't make us any more or less of a 'thing' than a rock or a puddle of water.

Evolution and biology (more generally) are the study of our thinginess. If you don't like thinking about the thinginess, you can turn to metaphysics and religion for their speculation on morethanthinginess.
prothero

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 10:15 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;92089 wrote:
The thought that we are mere 'things' drives us crazy. We've gotta be more than molecules and cosmic dust, right????

That's what philosophy and religion come from -- the fact that we are subject to all the physical crap in the universe, but dammit we've just gotta be something more. But this human inclination doesn't make us any more or less of a 'thing' than a rock or a puddle of water.

Evolution and biology (more generally) are the study of our thinginess. If you don't like thinking about the thinginess, you can turn to metaphysics and religion for their speculation on morethanthinginess.

Well I am not sure what your position is from this but to
consider yourself "thinking matter" is entirely rational, not very inspiring but rational.
I do not think the universe is fundamentally composed of "things, substances, objects" or at least not primarily, entirely or fundamentally.
So I am more in the all of nature is "thinking matter" not just humans.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 10:40 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;92089 wrote:

Biology can study anything it wants. The problems arise when people get so enamored with thinginess (in the way a football player gets involved with his game) that they begin to suggest that it is a fact that thinginess is all that we are. Otherwise, people can do whatever they want with their lives. Study birds, study poems, study music, study thinginess - whatever.

Rich
LWSleeth

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 01:11 am
@richrf,
Never mind . . . have fun.
Dave Allen

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 01:20 am
@richrf,
richrf;92027 wrote:
Anyway, it is not for me to teach, merely to state my own beliefs and put them out there. If you wish, I am sure you are more than incisive enough to find them yourself.

I certainly cannot think of a single scientist whose ideas based on faith and belief have been made into an article of scientific consensus without challenge.

It seems you can't either - that's fine.
jeeprs

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 01:36 am
@richrf,
actually the hidden agenda of objectivity suggests itself in all this...the reason the many people are so ADAMANT that only the objective exists is because they are secretly frightened of subjectivity.

Now why would that be? It is the burden of our own existence. This is the deepest and most frightening aspect of being human: the fact that we exist. So one strategy is to throw yourself so thoroughly into the objective realm that you deny the subjective reality altogether. But deep down inside.....

Now this does not have to be understood solely from the perspective of religion/spirituality. It was also analysed by Erich Fromm as the fear of freedom, the realisation that life is ours to invent and nobody really has a script anymore.

I often reflect that this explains the tone of irritation and hostility that plagues the writing of these 'new atheists'. Dawkins, in this mode, is like this cranky colonial administrator, railing against the irrationality of the hoi polloi out there dancing around their totems and planning holy murder. I am sure this is a reflection of some hidden part of himself which he dare not contemplate. Hence the anger.

Just a hunch.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 01:36 am
@LWSleeth,
There are people who are confident that nothing spiritual or supernatural lies behind the ineffable.

There are people who are happy enough to let the ineffable be ineffable.

There are people who think it requires spiritual belief or practice to understand or come to terms with the ineffable.

There are people who think these things in degrees of combination.

And they like to debate about it sometimes.

Why get oversensitive about it?
richrf

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 07:53 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;92142 wrote:
I certainly cannot think of a single scientist whose ideas based on faith and belief have been made into an article of scientific consensus without challenge.

It seems you can't either - that's fine.

You will not find bias unless you start challenging your own biases including the one above.

A simple google of bias reveals tons of information. But more than that, have you ever challenged the basic assumptions of double blind studies? You simply don't want to know. That is your bias.

Rich
Dave Allen

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 08:00 am
@richrf,
richrf;92202 wrote:
You will not find bias unless you start challenging your own biases including the one above.

A simple google of bias reveals tons of information. But more than that, have you ever challenged the basic assumptions of double blind studies? You simply don't want to know.

For someone who doesn't wish to know I have asked you - three times now - to provide a single example of a scientist whose ideas based on faith and belief have been made into an article of scientific consensus without challenge. So I am actually open to debate on the matter - it's you who does not seem able to rise to the challenge.

If you can't do it that's OK, I honestly don't mind - but just admit that and we can move on.

If there are loads of such examples - as you claim - selecting one to discuss should be a simple matter.