An example of Free Will

richrf

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 08:46 am
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;69402 wrote:
Therefore am I correct in taking the understanding that you have done no research or study in these areas at all--since your response was not in precise terms? Or, if you have done some reading, could you please share the source information with me, if you have recollection of it, or have it on file, or something? I'd appreciate that.

Hi there,

Of course, I have read all of that stuff - and much more. None of it addresses my questions. This is typical of what I have found:

sleep :: The nature of sleep -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

Sleep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note, that almost all of it is about measurement. Scientists are measurement fanatics. They measure this, they measure that. They have all of this instrumentation, and they just LOVE to measure. And they love to talk to each other about what they measured. For me it is ho-hum. :bigsmile:

Once, in a while you have a physicist, who is studying the nature of the Universe, who comes along with some really creative ideas. Now THAT is exciting for me. Love to read that stuff. At least, physicists, are honest about their studies:

[CENTER] "We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question which divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct. My own feeling is that it is not crazy enough." [Neils Bohr]

"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet." [Niels Bohr]

[/CENTER]

If you have a reference to the questions that I am setting forth, I will be happy to read it.

Rich
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 08:09 pm
@richrf,
Please tell me what journals or papers you have read on the subject of sleep. The two sources are fairly good, but do not explain what's happening where, and, basically, why.

How is it you do not consider the field of physics a science, nor those who do it, scientists--all the while showing such disdain for the discipline?

However, I can see that my understanding is secure; there is much to yet be learned. I'd be more than happy to help out there if you were interested. The main reason is, because you have made some grave errors in a number of your above posts.
richrf

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 08:21 pm
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;69523 wrote:
Please tell me what journals or papers you have read on the subject of sleep. The two sources are fairly good, but do not explain what's happening where, and, basically, why.

How is it you do not consider the field of physics a science, nor those who do it, scientists--all the while showing such disdain for the discipline?

However, I can see that my understanding is secure; there is much to yet be learned. I'd be more than happy to help out there if you were interested. The main reason is, because you have made some grave errors in a number of your above posts.

I have done enough hunting in my life and I certainly have no appetite to spend any more time on it. If you have references I will be happy to read them. But please no REM stuff and genetic stuff. Observing something and putting a name to it doesn't explain anything. It is just a game.

As for scientists, for the most part they've got a great thing going. They measure stuff and get a good salary for it. Not even hard work like coal mining. Good for them.

Thanks for providing all of the references.

Rich
Holiday20310401

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 09:02 pm
@richrf,
Hmm... rich, my opinion on scientists is that they (most I'm assuming) consider their work to not be 'work'. Their path is just as introspective as your ideas, so I doubt money is often anymore than icing on the cake. Why don't we ask a biologist, chemist, neurologist, doctor, physicist, or someone like that. Openmindedness requires a somewhat objective discourse of theory, in my opinion anyways.
BrightNoon

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 09:25 pm
@richrf,
richrf;67791 wrote:
Last night I went to sleep. While I was asleep, I had no sense of space, time, obligation, sense, awareness of my body or myself, or thought. I was just asleep.

All of a sudden, I woke up. I decided to wake myself up. When I did, I created space, time, senses, awareness of myself, and thought. No one else and no other thing was involved. Just me and myself. I am pretty proud of what I did. <applause>. Thank you.

Rich

What does it mean for you to have 'decided' to wake yourself up? If you woke from dreamless sleep, I assume you found yourself suddenly conscious in your bed. Why would you assume that you had caused this event? If on the other hand you were dreaming that you were sitting on a park bench and saying to yourself, "This is dream, I've decided to wake,' and then did in fact wake, finding yourself conscious in your bed, why would you assume that the dream was the cause of the waking? Both the dream about waking and the waking itself could be effects of the same process outside consciousness, of which 'you' are not the cause (if 'you' refers to the sum of 'your' experiences, memories, thoughts, etc.).
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 09:25 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;69531 wrote:
Hmm... rich, my opinion on scientists is that they (most I'm assuming) consider their work to not be 'work'. Their path is just as introspective as your ideas, so I doubt money is often anymore than icing on the cake. Why don't we ask a biologist, chemist, neurologist, doctor, physicist, or someone like that. Openmindedness requires a somewhat objective discourse of theory, in my opinion anyways.

Fine. Smile But I think we have to at least consider that a doctor goes into the profession for money. :detective:

My friend went to see one a year ago. He spent 3 minutes with her. Did nothing and collected $180. Pretty good, I would say. We both laughed afterward. The funniest thing though is watching some very, very, very heavy people testing the quality of other people's health. Now, you have to agree that that is hilarious. Don't you? The world is full of amusement, if you take the time to observe them. I look for that kind of stuff in my life.

I especially find it funny when I get involved with it all. For example, can you imagine making a grave error on this forum?

grave
, grievous, heavy, weighty

But I enjoy it all!

Thanks for the reminder.

Rich
Holiday20310401

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 09:30 pm
@richrf,
No I strongly disagree. Even so, doctors deserve every penny. The stress of their career alone would kill me. I'd have to have a deep passion for the field to keep up. Work would just be too personal.
richrf

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 09:34 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;69535 wrote:
No I strongly disagree. Even so, doctors deserve every penny. The stress of their career alone would kill me. I'd have to have a deep passion for the field to keep up.

It is OK to disagree. As for the stress, they do it to themselves. Health can be a joy if applied in a certain way. I love doing Qigong and Taiji exercises with my students as they tell me over time how different problems, such as arthritis or high blood pressure go away. It is fun. No stress at all. But it does take time. I spend one hour which each student and I charge $50. But I am happy to do it for anyone who would like to learn.

Rich
Holiday20310401

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 09:50 pm
@richrf,
I envy your career choice.Smile
richrf

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 10:30 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;69539 wrote:
I envy your career choice.Smile

Hi,

Not a career choice. More of a thing I do when people ask me. Right now I am retired. Speng 30 years as a computer consultant. And then, I decided that was enough computers for one lifetime. Smile

Cya,

Rich
0 Replies

sneer

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 12:51 pm
@richrf,
richrf;67791 wrote:
All of a sudden, I woke up. I decided to wake myself up. When I did, I created space, time, senses, awareness of myself, and thought.

brilliant sentence. thank you.
humans consists of thougths and create worlds - minimum one for every human.
richrf

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 01:10 pm
@sneer,
sneer;70137 wrote:
brilliant sentence. thank you.
humans consists of thougths and create worlds - minimum one for every human.

Yep. Minimum of one ... but sometimes I think I may be living in more than one. :bigsmile:

Cya,
Rich
0 Replies