An example of Free Will

richrf

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 03:25 pm
Last night I went to sleep. While I was asleep, I had no sense of space, time, obligation, sense, awareness of my body or myself, or thought. I was just asleep.

All of a sudden, I woke up. I decided to wake myself up. When I did, I created space, time, senses, awareness of myself, and thought. No one else and no other thing was involved. Just me and myself. I am pretty proud of what I did. <applause>. Thank you.

Rich
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,147 • Replies: 51
No top replies

KaseiJin

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 07:27 pm
@richrf,
Do you know whether you had entered a REM stage just prior to the brain's having lowered 'attention screens?' On a more detailed level, there is a great chance that one system (for example the presupplementary-premotor-inferior posterior parietal cortex to brainstem) 'communicated' a command to the 'sleep on' center in the way of an inhibitory function--thus giving a burst of beta waves (~14 Hz). There could be other reasons as well, however.

In this sense, I'd say yes, an act of free will--although not in the more specific sense that people usually think of such.
richrf

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 08:35 pm
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;67842 wrote:
Do you know whether you had entered a REM stage just prior to the brain's having lowered 'attention screens?' On a more detailed level, there is a great chance that one system (for example the presupplementary-premotor-inferior posterior parietal cortex to brainstem) 'communicated' a command to the 'sleep on' center in the way of an inhibitory function--thus giving a burst of beta waves (~14 Hz). There could be other reasons as well, however.

In this sense, I'd say yes, an act of free will--although not in the more specific sense that people usually think of such.

I'm not sure what put me to sleep, or what was dreaming without any sense of time or space, or woke me up - but I am sure glad it did all this - and it did it all on its owns. Smile

Rich
KaseiJin

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 08:49 pm
@richrf,
richrf;67857 wrote:
. . .- but I am sure glad it did all this - and it did it all on its owns. Smile

LOL ! :a-ok:

I hear you !! And, . . . that's the way living organisms work, from the lowly amoeba all the way up to us ! (I mean, that's exactly how ever cell in our bodies work, you know?!) Good point !
richrf

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 09:25 pm
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;67862 wrote:
LOL ! :a-ok:

I hear you !! And, . . . that's the way living organisms work, from the lowly amoeba all the way up to us ! (I mean, that's exactly how ever cell in our bodies work, you know?!) Good point !

Yes. Smile Consciousness permeates everything in my body. I love the way it all works together. Everything is very cooperative and they all get along, because it is me. :phone:

Rich
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 09:53 pm
@richrf,
I've noticed lately that I don't even need my alarm clock to wake me up. Say I need to wake up at seven to go to school, I will just wake up right before the alarm goes off and I can quickly rescue myself from the horrible buzzing sound. If I set to an earlier time I will wake up earlier. I think it might have something to do with stress for having to wake up for a responsibility you're aware of the next day that triggers one to wake up suddenly.

It's deterministic, I've determined that. Quite simply, I'm in the middle of a dream and then all of a sudden I'm not even aware that I have to get up, my body just wakes me up for me. Sometimes at the very odd time, I will become aware of the fact I'm waking up now right before I do. It ticks me off because it seems to be like an internal clock that overrides the flow of a dream.

No, I don't feel free will exists even in the scenario you stated rich.
richrf

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 10:15 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;67880 wrote:
It ticks me off because it seems to be like an internal clock that overrides the flow of a dream.

No, I don't feel free will exists even in the scenario you stated rich.

I spend a lot of time contemplating the state of sleep. The only philosopher who I have ever read, who seems to have thought about it, is Heraclitus. Not surprise, we both came to the same conclusions about life, probably by observing the same phenomenon.

When I think about sleep, no time, to space, no sensory perception, nothing that we might normally associate with logic, thought, being, etc. I think about what got me into that world and what gets me out. The same mind (I guess), but totally different state. How? Why? And how do I get out of it? There is a lot there to contemplate, and I spend lots of time with it - but none while I am asleep because there is no time. Smile Everything, while I am asleep, transpires in a completely different world. Consciousness is amazing. It does it all, in its own way and its own time (and no time).

Rich
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 10:15 pm
@richrf,
Although, richrf, the more correct term is not 'consciousness,' but rather conscious; and even then we don't usually apply it to non-neurons other than astrocytes.

You circadian clock work is tight, Holiday. But as for coming out of sleep, it's actually not that fast, unless one is already in REM stage...and maybe stage one too. (I'll double check that again)
richrf

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 10:38 pm
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;67886 wrote:
Although, richrf, the more correct term is not 'consciousness,' but rather conscious; and even then we don't usually apply it to non-neurons other than astrocytes.

You circadian clock work is tight, Holiday. But as for coming out of sleep, it's actually not that fast, unless one is already in REM stage...and maybe stage one too. (I'll double check that again)

REM, circadian clocks are just words that for me provide no insight into the nature of the human existence and consciousness. It is simply something created by some humans who like to name things, thinking that this in itself solves the problem. Ahhh! I have a name for it. Case closed! Everyone likes to invent words to describe things. But they are just descriptiive, not additional information.

I have a mind (I call it Individual Consciousness). In one instance it is awake, looking around, smelling, seeing, watching time pass, maybe counting sheep. The next moment - POW! - I am in a totally different state. No sense of time. No sense of space. No sense of sense. No logic. No rationality. Just things happening all over the place. How the heck did this switch in state of Consciousness occur??? I did it. I did it all my self. Why? Well that is another question. I have my thoughts. But it happened.

Sometimes, humans take the most obvious things for granted. But there it is. A totally weird event, which I think offers many clues to life, death, consciousness, and maybe much more.

From Heraclitus fragments:

"Even a soul submerged in sleep
is hard at work and helps
make something of the world.
"

"The waking have one world. in common, whereas each sleeper turns away to a private world of his own. "

"Whatever we see when awake is death; when asleep, dreams. "

"As in the nighttime a man kindles for himself (haptetai) a light, so when a living man lies down in death with his vision extinguished he attaches himself (haptetai) to the state of death; even as one who has been awake lies down with his vision extinguished and attaches himself to the state of Sleep."

"It is one and the same thing to be living and dead, awake or asleep, young or old. The former aspect in each case becomes the latter, and the latter becomes the former, by sudden unexpected reversal
."

While these are only fragments, I think it is possible to put together a vision of Heraclitus view of Consciousness and how he may of come to it. It is beautiful and fascinating.

Rich
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 10:42 pm
@KaseiJin,
I think our perception of time might be some sort of background stress, and appropriately it becomes an illusion in the emergent state as a part of our consciousness, that time should 'exist'.

Rich, how and why are explained simply by the processes of the brain. We ask ourselves why when it comes to the hard problem of consciousness, and it serves just as much purpose to ask why we are less aware when we are asleep.

When somebody is dreaming, the scenario is much more sporadic, less flowing it would seem. If you can turn back on a kind of stress you would not lack while awake, then you could perceive the dream scenario perhaps in a way which made more sense, it flowed, there was more causality. More information is brought to the mind (whatever that means) from the brain.

Or is it that consciousness plays a mutual role with the brain, so being aware of your scenario/situation/environment helps contribute to the causality. I doubt it, or perhaps it's just superficial. Maybe spirituality is when it becomes more than just superficial?
richrf

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 10:52 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;67891 wrote:
I think our perception of time might be some sort of background stress, and appropriately it becomes an illusion in the emergent state as a part of our consciousness, that time should 'exist'.

Hi Holiday,

Calling something an illusion, as if an attempt to discard it, provides no new idea to me. Whatever it is, it is there. I experience it. What is an illusion and what is not, is of no mind to me. Buddhists, I have talked to, love to dismiss things as illusions. I embrace them. Smile

One second I have a sense of time passing and in the next instance, all of that sense is gone. The whole sleep process happens in less than an instance. One moment you are a awake, and in the next moment you are .... AWAKE! Everything in between, just sort of happens. It just goes on, and on with no sense of time and space.

Quote:
Rich, how and why are explained simply by the processes of the brain. We ask ourselves why when it comes to the hard problem of consciousness, and it serves just as much purpose to ask why we are less aware when we are asleep.
So the brain does it. OK. How? Why? How did the brain go from time/space to no time, no space. Are you saying it just does it. Fine, I say, it is Consciousness that does it. Consciousness exists without any sense of materiality.

Quote:
When somebody is dreaming, the scenario is much more sporadic, less flowing it would seem.
How does one know how others experience dreaming, or sleep without dreaming (if this even exists)? There are no observers other than the individual Consciousness. How does anyone know? We wake up. Some we remember. Some we don't. Maybe remember it all. Maybe none of it. It is like Life and Death. We go to sleep. We wake up. How much do we remember? There is no observers, other than ourselves.

Quote:
If you can turn back on a kind of stress you would not lack while awake, then you could perceive the dream scenario perhaps in a way which made more sense, it flowed, there was more causality. More information is brought to the mind (whatever that means) from the brain.
My dreams have no flow. Most of what I have read about drewams are similar to my experiences. But I can only speak for myself. Jung chose to use dreams as symbolic of our deeper Self, whatever that might be. I think that the more people investigate sleep, the more bewildering it gets, as long as you observe it, and not discard it as a mere trifle.

Quote:
Or is it that consciousness plays a mutual role with the brain, so being aware of your scenario/situation/environment helps contribute to the causality. I doubt it, or perhaps it's just superficial. Maybe spirituality is when it becomes more than just superficial?
For me the brain is a continuum of the Consciousness aspect in us all. In fact, it is all a continuum for me. One manifests the other. For me, it is like trying to separate a wave from the ocean. One does not exist without the other. So, I don't try to differentiate between the two. I just try to contemplate, why is it doing what it is doing. Smile

Rich
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 10:58 pm
@richrf,
richrf;67893 wrote:
Calling something an illusion, as if an attempt to discard it, provides no answer for me. It is there. I experience it. What is an illusion and what is not, is of no mind to me. One second I have a sense of time passing and in the next instance, all of that sense is gone. The whole sleep process happens in less than an instance. One moment you are a awake, and in the next moment you are .... AWAKE! Everything in between, just sort of happens. It just goes on, and on with no sense of time and space.

I'm confident that the mind is emergent from the complexity of the brain.

richrf;67893 wrote:
How does one know how others experience dreaming, or sleep without dreaming (if this even exists)? There are no observers other than the individual Consciousness. How does anyone know? We wake up. Some we remember. Some we don't. Maybe remember it all. Maybe none of it. It is like Life and Death. We go to sleep. We wake up. How much do we remember? There is no observers, other than ourselves.

Yeah sorry I was assuming a sort of objectivity here.

richrf;67893 wrote:
Jung chose to use dreams as symbolic of our deeper Self, whatever that might be. I think that the more people investigate sleep, the more bewildering it gets, as long as you observe it, and not discard it as a mere trifle.

I agree dreams are important, don't get me wrong. I just don't want to get teleological about it.
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 04:30 am
@richrf,
richrf;67890 wrote:
REM, circadian clocks are just words . . . It is simply something created by some humans who like to name things, thinking that this in itself solves the problem. Ahhh! I have a name for it. Case closed! Everyone likes to invent words to describe things. But they are just descriptiive, not additional information.

But richrf, are you stating that you do not understand the real referents that the terms symbolize? REM is a real thing, you know. . . not just some empty word, just as amygdala is a real thing. . . not just some empty word.
richrf

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 07:46 am
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;67940 wrote:
But richrf, are you stating that you do not understand the real referents that the terms symbolize? REM is a real thing, you know. . . not just some empty word, just as amygdala is a real thing. . . not just some empty word.

Hi there KaseiJin,

I know that REM describes something that is happening. However, I spend my time contemplating the actual nature of sleep, and what is happening. I am awed by the fact that the mind, on its own, can switch from one state of space/time into another state of no space/time. For me, this is like death.

The difference being, death, seemingly has less memory continuity, though there are people who claim to remember past lives, and there are some evidence that there was a past life - e.g. inherited skills, such as math, musical ability, artistic ability, etc. After ordinary sleep, we remember much more of what occurred prior to going to sleep, though remember very little about what happened during sleep - if we remember anything at all.

I believe there are reasons for sleep/awake cycle, and death/birth cycle and that is what I contemplate. Putting a name on it, does not create any new insight for me on the nature of what it is.

Rich
Holiday20310401

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 01:51 pm
@richrf,
It's not really the mind that's doing this though.
richrf

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 02:26 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;68075 wrote:
It's not really the mind that's doing this though.

Well, I call it Individual Consciousness, whatever it is that is waking me up. But whatever it is, it is a darn interesting phenomenon, and the only person I have ever read who wrote about it was Heraclitus. Go figure.

Rich
Holiday20310401

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 02:28 pm
@richrf,
Yes but your mind/consciousness is emergent from the brain. it's not like your "Individual Consciousness" wakes itself up.
richrf

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 02:40 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;68093 wrote:
Yes but your mind/consciousness is emergent from the brain. it's not like your "Individual Consciousness" wakes itself up.

I embrace more of the Eastern philosophies and early Greek where the all physically emerges from Consciousness. Consciousness being the lightest and most ethereal, energy somewhat more dense, and material being most condensed - i.e. wound up tight energy. Sort of the way modern physics sees it.

Rich
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 11:48 pm
@richrf,
Interesting ideas and wanderings of the mind. You do seem to not have much grip on definitions, which I'd really like to encourage you towards giving further consideration to, richrf. There is a difference between the terms 'mind' and 'brain,' 'consciousness' and 'conscious.' In order to carry on more meaningful dialog, would it not be best to more fully understand the referents for the terms that are being used?

What sets you off on your course of sleep, is not what we'll call mind. What causes the alpha and theta waves, the K waves and spindles that occur during the various stages of sleep will never, ever be learned about by simply contemplating the state of sleep during a day-dreaming moment under a shade tree on a summer afternoon.

Also, I might mention that nobody has past lives--regardless of what some have offered for evidence of such (other explanations win out). One prime reason for this is that there is this thing called evolutionary process, and this thing call genetic sharing. Now you may not have studied that much in genetics yet, but in time, I'm sure you will. I would guess that you'd know that you are recombination of exactly 50% or your father's and 50% of your mother's recombined genetic material from their parents. You, as that once in eternity combination--a build which makes your brain which has build (and is building) into your mind from which and with which consciousness is projected--have never ever been before, nor will ever be again (probably even if we see all as potential energy, even, it would hold).
salima

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 12:27 am
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;68210 wrote:
Interesting ideas and wanderings of the mind. You do seem to not have much grip on definitions, which I'd really like to encourage you towards giving further consideration to, richrf. There is a difference between the terms 'mind' and 'brain,' 'consciousness' and 'conscious.' In order to carry on more meaningful dialog, would it not be best to more fully understand the referents for the terms that are being used?

What sets you off on your course of sleep, is not what we'll call mind. What causes the alpha and theta waves, the K waves and spindles that occur during the various stages of sleep will never, ever be learned about by simply contemplating the state of sleep during a day-dreaming moment under a shade tree on a summer afternoon.

Also, I might mention that nobody has past lives--regardless of what some have offered for evidence of such (other explanations win out). One prime reason for this is that there is this thing called evolutionary process, and this thing call genetic sharing. Now you may not have studied that much in genetics yet, but in time, I'm sure you will. I would guess that you'd know that you are recombination of exactly 50% or your father's and 50% of your mother's recombined genetic material from their parents. You, as that once in eternity combination--a build which makes your brain which has build (and is building) into your mind from which and with which consciousness is projected--have never ever been before, nor will ever be again (probably even if we see all as potential energy, even, it would hold).

bhaiyya-
i noticed you were using the word 'conscious' where i also would have used 'consciousness', and would you explain the difference? i thought conscious could only be used as an adjective, not a noun. :perplexed:
0 Replies