What kind of Religious Experience would qualify as 'proof'?

prothero

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 03:19 pm
@pagan,
I do not think there is or ever will be any scientific objective "proof" for god.
Of course I dont think there is any proof for love, beauty, truth or the good.
All these things derive from subjective expereince which as it turns out are the things in which we invest most meaning and value.

If the rational ordering of the universe, the beauty and splendor of the world and the fact that we are here to comtemplate it at all does not make you take the "leap of faith" belief and trust in a higher power, spirit or purpose then objective experience (science) will defintiely not take you there.
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 03:19 pm
@pagan,
pagan;143059 wrote:
What kind of Religious Experience would qualify as 'proof'?

i think this is an interesting question.

I take the points made re proof in the sense of proving to someone else. Thats tricky. Essentially a group experience i guess. That would be the ultimate proof. But what kind of group or personal experience?

I have to say that it seems obvious to me that, if there is a spirit world then it isn't as obvious as traffic and cucumbers to most people. So there must be a reason for that.

What is important is how we would understand the experience. There is, "well that proves there is a spirit world" on the one hand and "so thats what the spirit world is about" on the other. My guess is that the second option is out of bounds simply because we are not capable of grasping it. ....... And maybe that is related to why it isn't obvious. eg if a god is love, why is there suffering and hatred? It isn't obvious how that can be the case, so it isn't obvious that god exists. ie because we cannot grasp a consistent meaning to the spiritual dimension may be the reason itself why we don't believe in it.

Maybe there is so much obvious spirit world about .... but because we can't make sense of it then we reject it as superstition. Consider the following. A family is rescued from a deep jungle tribe wiped out by forestation. They are rehoused in a city. Here they are given money to live by. But there was no money in the jungle. People traded 'things' and writing didn't exist. Such a family might look at us and see money changing hands all over the place, but to them it is pure superstition. Nobody in their right mind would swap something valuable for a bit of leaf, no matter how magical they believe its powers. However, stare in wonder because if enough people believe in a superstition it can work! This can apply to anti superstition equally well. It so happens that the woman at the bank till who hands over these strange leaves, doesn't even believe in the realm of the underworld let alone the sky gods! How barmy is that?

Science insists upon consistency. Preferably absolute consistency, but relative consistency is the absolute minimum required. It is from the communal exchange of this consistency that constitutes a degree of proof. But for many of us we don't recognise such a machine world. Even people who don't believe in religion or the supernatural often reject the idea that science can explain everything. They are like the tribes people staring at the money. Yeh it works,........ but at the same time its crazy and unconvincing.

So in the end. watching a convinced group from the outside isn't always convincing. There has to be a personal aspect, and that includes whether we are a part of the superstitious trust of the likes of science and money, or the superstitious trust of the likes of religion or synchronicity.

Or to put it another way ...... If being alive isn't proof enough of the spiritual dimension, then what lesser proof should concievably be elevated above it?

[CENTER]:bigsmile:
It's funny to see Science Krumble and both Ends of The Spectrum of Reality. One End hold by Thoth, Judge of the Gods, God of Wisdom & Knowledge. The other end hold by Ma"at, Godess of Scales, Measures, Cups, Soons and grains.

Phantasy and Religeon explain things better then Material Science. Magical explanation just sell better in the Shop.

[/CENTER]
0 Replies

Marat phil

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 05:09 pm
@Greg phil,
"I do not think there is or ever will be any scientific objective "proof" for god.
Of course I dont think there is any proof for love, beauty, truth or the good".

This is not enough. God's prophets opened Plan to the Jews. He told them their future that they could change it. Because human nature is weak. God give them forces to change the bad future. Why the similar cannot occur now? If god himself starts talking to us, unless it does not become the proof? After all ancient rabbis considered it as the proof. Liars name yourself "the prophets". But them do not hear. If God addresses to peoples. It will make so that It will hear, I know.
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 07:30 pm
@Marat phil,
Marat;143308 wrote:
"I do not think there is or ever will be any scientific objective "proof" for god.

This is not enough. God's prophets opened Plan to the Jews. He told them their future that they could change it. Because human nature is weak. God give them forces to change the bad future. Why the similar cannot occur now? If god himself starts talking to us, unless it does not become the proof? After all ancient rabbis considered it as the proof. Liars name yourself "the prophets". But them do not hear. If God addresses to peoples. It will make so that It will hear, I know.

I would like to wright to you and all readers on this issue of God! I respect you and all of man kind even when I may not agree with you all. The one thing that I see wrong with religion or [God] is that if I speak to religious people with what I consider to be reason, They will agree with me as long as I am speaking of a different religion other than there own, but when I ask if you [or what ever the religion that I am asking reasonable questions about, For some reason it does not seem to apply to you]. It seems to be a double standard. I will go into detail only if any one is interested.Smile
0 Replies

Marat phil

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 08:21 pm
@Greg phil,
"but when I ask if you [or what ever the religion that I am asking reasonable questions about, For some reason it does not seem to apply to you]. It seems to be a double standard. I will go into detail only if any one is interested".

I the religious person, but do not consider atheists as the enemies. The atheist it "the doubting Christian" Double standards :-) are a contradiction of your emotions & my logic (for example). I choose the logic arguments.
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 08:55 pm
@Marat phil,
Marat;143352 wrote:
"but when I ask if you [or what ever the religion that I am asking reasonable questions about, For some reason it does not seem to apply to you]. It seems to be a double standard. I will go into detail only if any one is interested".

I the religious person, but do not consider atheists as the enemies. The atheist it "the doubting Christian" Double standards :-) are a contradiction of your emotions & my logic (for example). I choose the logic arguments.

Thank you Marat for taking the time to share with me other point of views other than my own. Would you please give a example of your last post in laymans terms. Thanks, Reasoning Self Logic.Smile
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 10:08 pm
@Marat phil,
Marat;143308 wrote:

People also believed other Prophets. Mohammed was a trader and collected religeous writings. Some languages he couldn't read very well,so lots of translation mistakes were made. Al-Quaran is not Gods Word, neither are the Christian Testaments or any Holy Writing. Does not mean they are very wise writings from Times very different from now.

Kindly,
Pepijn Sweep
0 Replies

Marat phil

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 11:35 pm
@Greg phil,
"Would you please give a example of your last post in laymans terms. Thanks, Reasoning Self Logic".

The atheist is held down by frameworks of scientific picture of the world. It means that such person trusts only to evidence facts. Scientific theory of God is not proved. Therefore atheist doesn't trust religion. This its right. Why not? Atheist always DOUBTS. Its good. Apostle Foma too doubted, but Jesus give him the proofs. Saint John said: "But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe ". This phrase sign: DOUBT is not sin.

If someone not search the bright proofs, its mission not scientific or philosophical search of true. It has deep subconscious motives (fanatic mother, priest's harassments {sharp examples}). The motivation of obsession person is irrational, it is in advance incited against religion. He hates it. This man is not atheist. Anticlericalist passible.
jeeprs

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 11:43 pm
@Greg phil,
Actually all Western counties have massive shadow around this religion question, because of their particular history, the way the topic has been defined for centuries, first by a corrupted ecclesiastical theocracy (Catholic) and then afterwards by fanatical self-righteous puritans (protestant). There is still a great collective memory of the Religious Wars (millions dead) pogroms and purges in various EU countries, and of course The Inquisition wherein the idea of the totalitarian state was invented. This is what many intellectuals think religion means - and they're right!
Marat phil

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 11:49 pm
@Greg phil,
"This is what many intellectuals think religion means- and they're right!"

They not right! One moment please.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 11:54 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;143407 wrote:
Actually all Western counties have massive shadow around this religion question, because of their particular history, the way the topic has been defined for centuries, first by a corrupted ecclesiastical theocracy (Catholic) and then afterwards by fanatical self-righteous puritans (protestant). There is still a great collective memory of the Religious Wars (millions dead) pogroms and purges in various EU countries, and of course The Inquisition wherein the idea of the totalitarian state was invented. This is what many intellectuals think religion means - and they're right!

This is right, and it has given rise to much raising of hackles among the ranks of free thinkers. It has gotten so bad that it has become extremely difficult to raise the subject of spiritual principles without being immediately branded as religious. One finds it difficult to express a personal belief in god without assumptions being made. Few people seem willing to discuss the leap of faith from an objective viewpoint.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 11:55 pm
@Greg phil,
Marat;143409 wrote:
"This is what many intellectuals think religion means- and they're right!"

They not right! One moment please.

OK then - poorly expressed on my part. I will rephrase: that is their view, and it has considerable justification.

---------- Post added 03-25-2010 at 04:58 PM ----------

wayne;143412 wrote:
This is right, and it has given rise to much raising of hackles among the ranks of free thinkers. It has gotten so bad that it has become extremely difficult to raise the subject of spiritual principles without being immediately branded as religious. One finds it difficult to express a personal belief in god without assumptions being made. Few people seem willing to discuss the leap of faith from an objective viewpoint.

I'm totally with you on that, this is my position entirely. One of the things I am doing on the forum is trying to learn to discuss this WITHOUT getting worked up over it.
wayne

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 11:59 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;143413 wrote:
OK then - poorly expressed on my part. I will rephrase: that is their view, and it has considerable justification.

I am agreed with you, maybe I've poorly expressed, the stigma of religion is one thing. But if god exists he must exist without any permission from religion.

I've tried to ellicit some response on the discussion of the leap of faith, which I feel is fairly generic, safe, and seemingly valid. But even this raises a few hackles
Marat phil

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 12:09 am
@Greg phil,
All this wars & victims & tirany was Antichrist handywork. Number of Beast - 666 - this is The Gospel According to Saint John 6:66 - "From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him". Medieval Church Jesus is Antihrist. More proof:
The First Epistle General of John
"2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that
antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we
know that it is the last time.

2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had
been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went
out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us".
Antichrist power was destroy in modern age. Israel - reconstruction. Second Coming sun I believe
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 12:31 am
@Marat phil,
Marat;143418 wrote:
All this wars & victims & tirany was Antichrist handywork. Number of Beast - 666 - this is The Gospel According to Saint John 6:66 - "From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him". Medieval Church Jesus is Antihrist. More proof:
The First Epistle General of John
"2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that
antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we
know that it is the last time.

2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had
been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went
out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us".
Antichrist power was destroy in modern age. Israel - reconstruction. Second Coming sun I believe

Now you tell Saint John was himself under the numbre of the beast, 6:66.
Don't you have read any-thing more recent, or more old. By the way; this nummerology is heresy in most christian Churches. Numbers (arabic) weren't familiair in Western-Europe.

So your argument rests on a written text 1.950 years old. Not sure if Original was in Greek or Aramees. With the loss of Byzantium we gained a lot of knowledge. New translations, nummerings and codifixes. After these drastic changes over time U think this a reliable base ? Well, even the nummering of the Bibles doesn't correspondent.

I think your argument is not supported by Q. St. John. I hope you know which Saint John U were refering to. I am Protestant and not know Saints, only in real life.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 01:04 am
@wayne,
wayne;143415 wrote:
I am agreed with you, maybe I've poorly expressed, the stigma of religion is one thing. But if god exists he must exist without any permission from religion.
I've tried to ellicit some response on the discussion of the leap of faith, which I feel is fairly generic, safe, and seemingly valid. But even this raises a few hackles

There is such a thing as a God complex. Lots of people have them, and they come in many forms. But for what it's worth, I like where you're coming from. There are some intelligent philosophical spirituals on this Forum.
0 Replies

Marat phil

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 01:18 am
@Greg phil,
"So your argument rests on a written text 1.950 years old. Not sure if Original was in Greek or Aramees. With the loss of Byzantium we gained a lot of knowledge. New translations, nummerings and codifixes. After these drastic changes over time U think this a reliable base ? Well, even the nummering of the Bibles doesn't correspondent".

Yes. I know. But the bible - its book of tomorrow days. Today she not work. I believe that the Lord has taken care, that the Bible was such what we know it.

The Gospel According to (Apostle) John: " 21:23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that
disciple should NOT DIE: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not
die; but, If I will that he TARRY till I COME, what is that to thee?".

Apostle John - create Gospel itself (!). It was the prophet and knew that writes for us and our grandsons. Jesus has show future to "disciple whom loved". John's books - for our days (I will that he TARRY till I COME).

Tell me, this is not strange?
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 01:26 am
@Marat phil,
Tarry ? What is that ?
Marat phil

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 01:29 am
@Greg phil,
"Tarry ? What is that ?"

tarry - stay here
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep