What kind of Religious Experience would qualify as 'proof'?

click here

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 10:08 pm
@nameless,
nameless;69556 wrote:
'Evidence' abounds!
'Meaning', 'interpretation', 'proof' is in the eye of the beholder, and all 'beholders' are unique Perspectives.
What one perceives/considers to be 'proof', is proof, to him, in that context, and as such, is a 'real' feature of the complete Universe, and thus 'real'.
All Perspectives are 'valid/real', ultimately.

Hah, you use a lot of scare quotes....
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 06:15 am
@Greg phil,
Greg - experience is SUBJECTIVE. You might notice that for something to qualify as 'proof' in the modern world, it needs to be OBJECTIVE - i.e. not something that I know as real, but something that can be demonstrated as real to a third party (usually standing by with a white coat and clipboard).
0 Replies

click here

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 07:13 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;69949 wrote:
I don't think any christian has faith but they do have a different F word instead. I think calling it faith is a way to give their F word a more appealing feel. You can forcibly get someone to make decisions if you provide for them alternatives that are in some way negative. So having this F word as the basis for their belief is not something I would consider divine or holy in any sense. So what's the F word I am talking about?

FEAR

So atheists are simply intrepid?
0 Replies

click here

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 07:24 am
@richrf,
Hebrews 6:4-6

4 For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 11:20 am
@salima,
Salima:
I really do think Faith is the determination to align yourself with the universe/God/being (however you see it) despite our physical inability to see the universe as it is.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 05:40 pm
@Greg phil,
Gosh-great definition. i like how non-judgmental it is!
0 Replies

Poseidon

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 05:54 pm
@Greg phil,
Proof of God, would be for someone to make a completely objective and easily repeatable scientific discovery : Like Newton's Laws, and then ascribe his being able to do so due to the power of God.

Seeing as though the most profound (repeatable and accurate) laws of nature discovered, are Newton's laws, and Newton was himself a Theist.

That is proof of God.

For anyone to claim that Newton was deluded, would be a gross act of denial.

Of course, this does not mean that everyone who claims to believe in God does so out of the same sense of Truth via Divinity that Newton did.

Or Darwin.
Or Einstein, etc
meditationyoga

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 11:51 pm
@Greg phil,
Yes I think from a biological perspective we can take measurements and confirm them via that way. Just by the fact of health that it brings to the individual. Meditation has many health benefits, increase HGH, lowers blood pressure and even shrinks some tumors or cancers. There are many more that I don't have time to relate. This might be the answer you were looking for. There is a good book called "The Psychology of Consciousness." by Robert Orstein
0 Replies

LWSleeth

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 12:20 pm
@Poseidon,
Poseidon;70190 wrote:
Proof of God, would be for someone to make a completely objective and easily repeatable scientific discovery . . . That is proof of God.

[SIZE="3"]Your definition of "proof" isn't necessarily the only type of proof; rather, you've defined how one proves something to others.

But what about what only you can know, such as how your feel about your wife? Because I can't externalize my feeling, does that mean I can't be certain myself?

I say there are externalizable proofs and, due to the makeup of a human being, there are internal proofs. Science demands an external proof, as it should since much of science is both about external reality and is to be applied to benefit the general population (i.e., which is "out there").

But for me, I only experience God inside, and I couldn't possibly care less about "proving" that to anyone else. If you ask me how I experience God, I would tell you that, and then let you see if you can find that experience for yourself. So each person proves to himself, not to others, the reality of God.[/SIZE]
0 Replies

Poseidon

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 06:47 pm
@Greg phil,
Well, I only took the notion of God seriously when I found out that Newton believed in it. If the greatest scientist ever believed in it, then thats about as objective a proof for a subjective experience one can get.

I find it amusing that people consider that Newton was 'irrational' because he believed in God! Never mind Darwin, Einstein, Galileo, Descartes.

Yes there are internal proofs, but that was not the question.

Descartes proof is also an excellent one :

i) God is perfection
ii) perfection exists
therefore God exists

ii) is qualified by the notion that a subset of perfection must be that it exists, or it would not be perfection
0 Replies

emochicken-x-

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 06:00 pm
@Greg phil,
This may not be difinative proof of a particular religion, but it is definately proof of spirituallity. I was having a house party once (about 50 people) when my mum, who was shaparoning, stormed up stairs with one of her christian friends, telling every one to shut the windows. They said they both had a strong feeling that someone was going to fall out of a window. About half an hour later, a good friend of mine tried climbing out of the window to...well...kill herself. She was just about to jump when one of my other friends stopped her, luckily. This was creepy. Their is definately something beyond this world, how ever much atheists might try to say otherwise. Just because it cannot be explained does not mean that It's not proof.
0 Replies

Marat phil

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 01:42 am
@Greg phil,
Greetings! I ask to forgive me for shameful not knowledge of language. But as the philosopher I cannot miss chance to express opinion.

The Prophecy which has come true with absolute accuracy and God was which source can become the proof of existence of God. For example, if the person in the newspaper or on TV does exact forecasts which come true there is a question on the Revelation source. If the prophet says that its source is God it and can be considered as the Proof.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 02:09 am
@Marat phil,
Marat;142482 wrote:
Greetings! I ask to forgive me for shameful not knowledge of language. But as the philosopher I cannot miss chance to express opinion.

The Prophecy which has come true with absolute accuracy and God was which source can become the proof of existence of God. For example, if the person in the newspaper or on TV does exact forecasts which come true there is a question on the Revelation source. If the prophet says that its source is God it and can be considered as the Proof.

[CENTER]Dear Marat. Please Me and do not Mention Prophecy, God and the false Prophets in one sentence with TV.Read some Sufi-Khan I believe.

Wise people do not need prophets, television or Proof of the Existance of Oxigen. God is in any-one, he doesn't check your knowledge of religion but of Life.

Pepijn Sweep's On.
:detective:
[/CENTER]
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 02:43 am
@Greg phil,
Greg;69444 wrote:
I've often suggested that the only valid proof of any particular religion will be a Religious Experience. And by this I do not mean a spiritual feeling in a group of religious people nor a sense of love in prayer which could both be identified as subconscious projections/delusions/illusions etcetara.
In fact almost any kind of religious experience that I can think of could be explained psychologically rather than in terms of a divinity. So I wonder whether there is any conceivable religious experience that would compell you to rationally believe in any particular notion of 'God'.

If it is argued that no such experience is conceivable then where does that leave religious believe in terms of its validity? I mean:
IF there is a concieveably valid religious experience THEN why should God not grant that to all of us (or any?)?
IF not THEN should we abandon a literal approach to religious beliefs? e.g. should God be understood (at best) as a regulative concept in an antirealist sense rather than the classic constitutive, realist, concept?

I am not an religious person, but I believe strongly in god and spirituality. Here is a story of my own experience.

Some years ago, at a point in my life when I struggled with alcoholism and spiritual foundation I had this experience. One afternoon when my life was really in the toilet, I went for a walk around the downtown of the city where I lived. It was a holiday so there were no other people around. While I walked I talked mentally to this god that I could not understand, seeking some peace of mind and possibly an answer to my present predicament. After an hour or so of this I began to feel better and started back towards home. My attitude being better, I began to converse in a light hearted manner with this god , I told him my most pressing problem was that I had no food and that I would be willing to trust him with this problem, I joked that I would like a steak dinner but that I would be willing to accept whatever he offered me. I was crossing a street as I spoke this last prayer, immediately I came upon 2 cans of green beans sitting on the curb. I almost fell down. Shaken though I was, I realized I must either make good on my promise or forget the whole god thing completely. I ate green beans from a can that day.

This story is absolutely true and correct, it forms the foundation for my entire god belief today. You see, I realized that no matter what proof god offers me I can always explain it away as coincidence or fate or whatever.
The leap of faith is mine alone, god cannot make it for me, "it's in the rules" The choice is me ,all of me. Without this choice I am not. We each must make this decision on our own ,yes or no, either choice, on our own.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 03:11 am
@wayne,
wayne;142487 wrote:
I am not an religious person, but I believe strongly in god and spirituality. Here is a story of my own experience.

Some years ago, at a point in my life when I struggled with alcoholism and spiritual foundation I had this experience. One afternoon when my life was really in the toilet, I went for a walk around the downtown of the city where I lived. It was a holiday so there were no other people around. While I walked I talked mentally to this god that I could not understand, seeking some peace of mind and possibly an answer to my present predicament. After an hour or so of this I began to feel better and started back towards home. My attitude being better, I began to converse in a light hearted manner with this god , I told him my most pressing problem was that I had no food and that I would be willing to trust him with this problem, I joked that I would like a steak dinner but that I would be willing to accept whatever he offered me. I was crossing a street as I spoke this last prayer, immediately I came upon 2 cans of green beans sitting on the curb. I almost fell down. Shaken though I was, I realized I must either make good on my promise or forget the whole god thing completely. I ate green beans from a can that day.

This story is absolutely true and correct, it forms the foundation for my entire god belief today. You see, I realized that no matter what proof god offers me I can always explain it away as coincidence or fate or whatever.
The leap of faith is mine alone, god cannot make it for me, "it's in the rules" The choice is me ,all of me. Without this choice I am not. We each must make this decision on our own ,yes or no, either choice, on our own.

Dear mr Wayne,

First I am glad U found the beans; U need food. I was raised Dutch Reformed, Teached in Reformated College, went to Boarding/Business School & met many students but all Business bored me. Doubled with a Year of Mother of Wisdom (LLA in British).

After my BBA I went to Spain, Salamanca, and studied some Spanish Grammar with Japanese, Koreans, Swedes, English...
No French !

Back in Amsterdam I started my Consulting for Creative Businesses and fell iLL after 10 Years & 2 month's. 1999/2000 was my crisis.

I lost count of my (near) psychosis (state of contact with the gods)
and I learned there is more than I can possibly Understand. I do not want to. I refuse to except Authority from religieous Leaders. I'll find out my Way. I admire religieous people however; it's yust not my nature to bend for Any-One. Exept when asked Properly by Family & Friends. Cirkels of Projections a'round me.

To confess: I cheat. I have a small amulet which gives me strenght through associations with History, passed away Friends, Happy Islands I have been, Vacations with my family... A sort of UBS:
Universal Boost of Spirits !:shifty:
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 03:24 am
@wayne,
wayne;142487 wrote:
We each must make this decision on our own ,yes or no, either choice, on our own.

Beautifully said. I have often thought, there is no adjudication in this. There is no trustworthy authority you can turn to and say 'help me out here. Is this 'God' business real, or is it all made up.' Because there is no ultimate court of appeal in this matter, other than what you yourself decide is true.

And that is why it is called faith. It is an attitude and a stance, not a proposition, or an argument.
wayne

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 03:35 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;142491 wrote:
Beautifully said. I have often thought, there is no adjudication in this. There is no trustworthy authority you can turn to and say 'help me out here. Is this 'God' business real, or is it all made up.' Because there is no ultimate court of appeal in this matter, other than what you yourself decide is true.

And that is why it is called faith. It is an attitude and a stance, not a proposition, or an argument.

It took a long time for me to recognize this simple truth and when I did I really almost fell down ,it was so moving. What a pity it is that so many spend thier whole lives and never realize this. If one person is helped by my sharing this story, all the pain and agony to reach this experience were but a mere pitance I have paid gladly.
I get a little teary remembering this experience, green beans are so common I'll never have a chance to forget
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 04:25 am
@wayne,
wayne;142494 wrote:
It took a long time for me to recognize this simple truth and when I did I really almost fell down ,it was so moving. What a pity it is that so many spend thier whole lives and never realize this. If one person is helped by my sharing this story, all the pain and agony to reach this experience were but a mere pitance I have paid gladly.
I get a little teary remembering this experience, green beans are so common I'll never have a chance to forget

[CENTER]I understand what you say. I had the same experience with a potato; still I sink deeper away, further of safety. I cling to pre-christian ideas to make sense of a no longer rational World around me. I can think/associate fast (timers) which wears me out.,after a mild mania I am two weeks KO.

I walk a lot and try to keep a daily routine. I am late for my sigarettes, write to you later.

Sincerely, Pepijn Sweep's No More

:bigsmile:
[/CENTER]
wayne

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 04:29 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;142498 wrote:
[CENTER]I understand what you say. I had the same experience with a potato; still I sink deeper away, further of safety. I cling to pre-christian ideas to make sense of a no longer rational World around me. I can think/associate fast (timers) which wears me out.,after a mild mania I am two weeks KO.[/CENTER]

[CENTER]I walk a lot and try to keep a daily routine. I am late for my sigarettes, write to you later.[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Sincerely, Pepijn Sweep's No More[/CENTER]

[CENTER]:bigsmile:[/CENTER]

There is no religion ,only the leap of faith.
pagan

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 10:14 am
@wayne,
What kind of Religious Experience would qualify as 'proof'?

i think this is an interesting question.

I take the points made re proof in the sense of proving to someone else. Thats tricky. Essentially a group experience i guess. That would be the ultimate proof. But what kind of group or personal experience?

I have to say that it seems obvious to me that, if there is a spirit world then it isn't as obvious as traffic and cucumbers to most people. So there must be a reason for that.

What is important is how we would understand the experience. There is, "well that proves there is a spirit world" on the one hand and "so thats what the spirit world is about" on the other. My guess is that the second option is out of bounds simply because we are not capable of grasping it. ....... And maybe that is related to why it isn't obvious. eg if a god is love, why is there suffering and hatred? It isn't obvious how that can be the case, so it isn't obvious that god exists. ie because we cannot grasp a consistent meaning to the spiritual dimension may be the reason itself why we don't believe in it.

Maybe there is so much obvious spirit world about .... but because we can't make sense of it then we reject it as superstition. Consider the following. A family is rescued from a deep jungle tribe wiped out by forestation. They are rehoused in a city. Here they are given money to live by. But there was no money in the jungle. People traded 'things' and writing didn't exist. Such a family might look at us and see money changing hands all over the place, but to them it is pure superstition. Nobody in their right mind would swap something valuable for a bit of leaf, no matter how magical they believe its powers. However, stare in wonder because if enough people believe in a superstition it can work! This can apply to anti superstition equally well. It so happens that the woman at the bank till who hands over these strange leaves, doesn't even believe in the realm of the underworld let alone the sky gods! How barmy is that?

Science insists upon consistency. Preferably absolute consistency, but relative consistency is the absolute minimum required. It is from the communal exchange of this consistency that constitutes a degree of proof. But for many of us we don't recognise such a machine world. Even people who don't believe in religion or the supernatural often reject the idea that science can explain everything. They are like the tribes people staring at the money. Yeh it works,........ but at the same time its crazy and unconvincing.

So in the end. watching a convinced group from the outside isn't always convincing. There has to be a personal aspect, and that includes whether we are a part of the superstitious trust of the likes of science and money, or the superstitious trust of the likes of religion or synchronicity.

Or to put it another way ...... If being alive isn't proof enough of the spiritual dimension, then what lesser proof should concievably be elevated above it?