Proof that God is morally good & other properties of God

Krumple

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 02:03 am
@deepthot,
Quote:
I also enjoyed the chats I had with Alan Watts.

I am jealous. But I still think you are adding an ingredient to the mixture in which it never required.
0 Replies

Kielicious

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 02:09 am
@deepthot,
deepthot;89791 wrote:
Thanks for the blessing.

Yes, it is the latter: it is satire rather than gullibility. I am 79 and have perhaps seen a little more of the world and of life than some. I am glad I made you laugh.

Well played sir, well played... Smile

deepthot wrote:
This is a Philosophy site and in the o.p. I gave an argument as to why God - as I defined it - would be moral. I am waiting to read an argument for your position.

As much as I would love to argumentate (of course thats a word;)) with you, Im afraid I cannot... Although, Im guessing you already know my position anyways -that is, after all, why you asked me right...

deepthot wrote:
Or perhaps you don't believe that there is anything in the Universe bigger in importance than an individual human.

I'll never tell....................................................

deepthot wrote:
Richard Dawkins (in The God Delusion) gave an argument, but in a talk on this topic he said the following: "An American student asked her professor whether he had a view about me. 'Sure,' he replied. 'He's positive science is incompatible with religion, but he waxes ecstatic about nature and the universe. To me, that is religion!' Well, if that's what you choose to mean by religion, fine, that makes me a religious man. .... As the distinguished American physicist Steven Weinberg said, 'If you want to say that 'God is energy,' then you can find God in a lump of coal.' "

And I'd have to agree. If you want to define things into existence then so be it. I, nor anyone, can argue against that. If you want to say god is energy, or god is love, the only thing I can say is: why would you redefine god as energy when we already have a word for energy? I understand you 'contend god is much, much more..." so what is god then?

And please, dont BS me either. Thanks! Wink

edit: I must say, I almost used as many elipses as paulhanke! jk buddy
deepthot

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 02:12 am
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;89793 wrote:
Well played sir, well played... Smile/QUOTE]

Thank you.

Kielicious;89793 wrote:
If you want to define things into existence then so be it. I, nor anyone, can argue against that. If you want to say god is energy, or god is love, the only thing I can say is: why would you redefine god as energy when we already have a word for energy? I understand you 'contend god is much, much more..." so what is god then?

I can't just define things into existence. That was the mistake made by The Rationalists, such as Spinoze.

I did not redefine God as energy, despite the poor wording in Theorem One, but meant that one of God's defining characteristics is Energy, along with Love, Integrity, Beauty, Compassion, etc. Only one of God's properties is energy.

You ask, "What is God then?"
See the original post in this thread. Supplement it with the second post that I entered. This should give the careful reader a pretty-good idea.

---------- Post added 09-13-2009 at 03:24 AM ----------

William;88008 wrote:
Simply outstanding analogy from my point of view ...

...become a "friend" not a "foe" to that God. Complimentary not aggravating; harmonic not chaotic; peaceful not warring; alive not dead; dynamic not static, forward not backward, positive not negative; optimistic not pessimistic; understanding not skeptical and so on and so on and so on and so on.

Now, if I might ask, what do you think of my assessment. Did I enhance it or aggravate it? Ha. Smile

William

You enhanced it.

Thank you for that.
0 Replies

deepthot

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 08:02 pm
@deepthot,
Kielicious asks "What is God?" He deserves a more-detailed answer.

[CENTER]Have you ever been just sitting there and all of a sudden you feel like doing something nice for someone you care for?
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]THAT'S GOD! He speaks to you through the Holy Spirit
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Have you ever been down and out and nobody seems to be around for you to
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Talk to?
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]THAT'S GOD! God wants you to speak to God.
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Have you ever been thinking about somebody that you haven't seen in a long time and then next thing you know you see them or receive a phone call from them?
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]THAT'S GOD! There's no such thing as coincidence.
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Have you ever received something wonderful that you didn't even ask for, like money in the mail, a debt that had mysteriously been cleared, or a coupon to a department store where you had just seen something you wanted, but couldn't afford.
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]THAT'S GOD! God knows the desires of your heart.
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Have you ever been in a situation and you had no clue how it is going to get better, but now you look back on it?
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]THAT'S GOD! God passes us through tribulation to see a brighter day.
[/CENTER]

Tennessee Williams, in Camino Real (1953), once wrote:
"We're all guinea pigs in the laboratory of God...
Humanity is just a work in progress." God wants us to come to God; and God is Goodness. When we devote ourselves to goodness the experiment is succeeding.

So, Kielicious, I hope I have more adequately explained the topic, and would also refer you to the last four paragraphs in the o.p. at this thread:
http://www.philosophyforum.com/philosophy-forums/secondary-branches-philosophy/philosophy-religion/4745-religion-its-stages-evolution.html

The subsequent discussion in that thread may serve to clarify further.
I spun out a theology, on paper. Now it is up to empirically-oriented observers to confirm and verify the implicit predictions made ...by running experiments, as suggested by William lJames in his masterful book, THE VARIETIES OF RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE. When I note that , for me, God is the Reality of all realities, the Love of loves, the Creator of creativity, it will be interesting to see if others feel the same way, and if you, too, could eventually feel that way. Then - whenever anything is created, you will give God the credit for it. Whenever (true)love is evident, you will thank God for it. And so forth. God will serve as the universal recipient of our gratitude, and our causes for gratitude will multiply, and that will be our prevailing attitude...

0 Replies

leafy

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 01:55 pm
@deepthot,
You have to prove that God exists before you can prove that he is morally good.

Quote:
I can't just define things into existence. That was the mistake made by The Rationalists, such as Spinoze.

And Descartes, and Anselm, and Plantinga, and Godel, and all the other ontological arguments.

Sure you can. What Russell found is that references such as "The present king of France" that fail to refer to anything, yet still have meaning, can be real descriptions. They just fail to refer to anything.

Just like if you define God as "The necessary being that exists" - it could fail to be a referent.
deepthot

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 07:21 pm
@leafy,
leafy;99296 wrote:
You have to prove that God exists before you can prove that he is morally good.

deepthot wrote: "I can't just define things into existence. That was the mistake made by The Rationalists, such as Spinoze."

And Descartes, and Anselm, and Plantinga, and Godel, and all the other ontological arguments.

Sure you can. What Russell found is that references such as "The present king of France" that fail to refer to anything, yet still have meaning, can be real descriptions. They just fail to refer to anything.

Just like if you define God as "The necessary being that exists" - it could fail to be a referent.

I stand by what I said. I cannot follow what you are asserting here, leafy.
A description - I agree with Russell - does not have to be an existent.
Are you attempting to argue that it can be?

As far as my having to prove existence.... Do you believe that energy exists? That is a component of my definition of God. Have you seen any evidence of goodness in this world? If yes, would you say that goodness exists? Let us know.

That again, as you know, is how I define God. So what exactly do I have to prove. Did you read my analysis of the concept "existence" at the Epistemology Forum? It is only an Extrinsic Value. As you know, I derived from my axiom (the definition of God) the conclusion that God is the Reality of all realities. Isn't that better than mere existence? I would say so. In my life (and perhaps some others) God certainly does refer to somethisng. Are there natural forces?
God is The Force.
And, leafy, I pray that it will always be with you.

You aren't too selfish not to do the same for me, are you? I trust you're not.
leafy

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 08:47 pm
@deepthot,
deepthot;99548 wrote:
I stand by what I said. I cannot follow what you are asserting here, leafy.
A description - I agree with Russell - does not have to be an existent.
Are you attempting to argue that it can be?

I would argue that references can be made to non-existent things such as the present king of France. I would also agree with Russell that merely using these references does not entail or presuppose the existence of the referent.

deepthot;99548 wrote:

As far as my having to prove existence.... Do you believe that energy exists? That is a component of my definition of God. Have you seen any evidence of goodness in this world? If yes, would you say that goodness exists? Let us know.

God of classical theism is not the same as your abstracted definition. I'm arguing against that god.

Goodness doesn't exist at all, or at least in the sense that I mean exist. I prefer to keep "existence" to mean things that are physical. I'm a materialist, at least I think so. Haven't seen any persuasive arguments for any other metaphysical position.

deepthot;99548 wrote:

That again, as you know, is how I define God. So what exactly do I have to prove. Did you read my analysis of the concept "existence" at the Epistemology Forum? It is only an Extrinsic Value. As you know, I derived from my axiom (the definition of God) the conclusion that God is the Reality of all realities. Isn't that better than mere existence? I would say so. In my life (and perhaps some others) God certainly does refer to somethisng. Are there natural forces?
God is The Force.
And, leafy, I pray that it will always be with you.

You aren't too selfish not to do the same for me, are you? I trust you're not.

Then what, exactly, does "God" refer to, other than energy and goodness? If it's the qualities themselves, then you aren't talking about an entity but rather a property.
SammDickens

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 12:28 pm
@deepthot,
I can agree that God is Love. God is energy is also a concept I find acceptable. Much of the associations of the initial post in this thread are more or less agreeable. They well describe what you, deepthot, identify as God.

Most who disagree with you seem to discount the value of your creating a single being from this set of properties and giving that being the name, God. Yes, they say, there is Love and energy, there are high values that we cherish and toward which we attain, there is order and information and beauty and truth. But these properties are not the fruit of a single tree named God. We see the real things you ascribe as properties of God, but we see them as properties of the universe and the human mind. God, thus, is excluded by Ockam's Razor. He is unnecesary.

I suppose that your intent is not to prove God's existence. You accept that as true a priori; for how can that which does not exist be either moral or amoral? I too accept that God exists, at least as a concept in the mind of man. Now we may rightly argue about this conceptual being, whether it is real or imaginary, whether it is moral or amoral, whether it is male or female, etc.

I see that some here are attempting, unintentionally perhaps, to hijack your argument from one about the morality of God to one about the reality of God. Both of these are good arguments to discuss, but this thread is about the morality of God and should be restricted to consideration of the question: "Is God (in whatever sense that God may be said to exist, either in reality or in the imagination) a Moral being?"

Samm
0 Replies

deepthot

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 01:49 am
@leafy,
leafy;99776 wrote:
I would argue that references can be made to non-existent things such as the present king of France. I would also agree with Russell that merely using these references does not entail or presuppose the existence of the referent.

We both completely agree on this. I'm not sure why it was even brought up --- unless you were arguing against some traditional, superstitious conception of God, which is certainly not my God. By "traditional" I mean - to offer some examples - the "God" of the Bible or the Koran; or one of those of Greek or Roman mythology; or an ancestral God of Shinto, or a variety of Confucianism.

leafy;99776 wrote:

God of classical theism is not the same as your abstracted definition. I'm arguing against that god.

Aha. When you write: "I'm arguing against that god." I assume you mean one of those traditional conceptions such as those I mentioned in my reply to your first point. So you were committing the Fallacy of The Straw Man; or the Red Herring. Now that we understand each other, all is forgiven.

leafy;99776 wrote:
,,, I prefer to keep "existence" to mean things that are physical. I'm a materialist, at least I think so. Haven't seen any persuasive arguments for any other metaphysical position.

Is "energy" material; or is it a postulate of Physics, which discusses the manifestations of energy, and the transformations it makes into differing forms, but which does not satisfactorily explain why it takes those forms rather than some others. Is a magnetic field 'material'? Yes, Physics studies it: does that make it "physical"? What do you know about gravity? How material is that? And what is "dark matter"? Has a bargain ever existed? How large was the Singularity that originated The Big Bang? Why did it explode?
Are values tangible or material? No, they are not. Do they have any status in your life.? Are they real (to you)? Does your life have any meaning? What if I equate God with: the meaning of the Universe. Do you deny that it has any?

I agree with you that ideas and thoughts do not exist. They are sub-worldly. The world, and worldly things exist. My God, however, is super-worldly: it more than exists. It is Reality. It is more than real: it is the Reality of all Realities !!! If God, as I experience it, needs mere existence, I give it my existence - for I exist.

leafy;99776 wrote:
Then what, exactly, does "God" refer to, other than energy and goodness? If it's the qualities themselves, then you aren't talking about an entity but rather a property.

God refers to the being who is capable of being both within us and yet at a distance. God refers to the one who answers my prayers, who comes to me as Health; and as Prosperity; and as Love.

Keep in mind I am not talking about any traditional "god" that is supposed to be omnipotent and omniscient ! I am only alluding to the God I defined and described in the first post of this thread.

I hope and trust this clears up any confusion which readers may have had.

Sincerely,
deepthot
0 Replies

stew phil

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 05:08 pm
@deepthot,
deepthot;89791 wrote:

God is Beauty, Truth and Goodness.
These are all high values Hence, they are part of God.

Non-sequitur: I would deny these values have any objective, universal truth to them. Instead, they are relative to a group or culture. Nor does such assertion dictate they are properties of a transcendent yet intervening entity you describe as
a "being who is capable of being both within us and yet at a distance." Is that even a logically coherent notion?

Further, are you not begging the question?

How do you know there exists inherently good and evil values? By positing a God? But how can you know there is a God? By assuming there exists inherently good and evil values? Is that not the question at hand?

0 Replies

deepthot

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 10:14 pm
@deepthot,
The rules of Chess are both within a specific serious game - played by two masters - at every move. And at the same time they transcend that specific game.

So it is possible for a concept, such as the set of rules, to be both immanent and transcendent at the same time.

Such is the case with the concept that I call "God."

If the concept "goodness" has no universal truth for you, friend, I feel you are missing out on some value that you could have. Most of those who are aware of it would hold that goodness, as defined by Dr. Hartman, (as a secondary property which quantifies primary properties) would be agreed-to by any intelligences in outer space ... just as they would concur with Russell's definition of "number." No, these are not merely relative; they are also universal concepts. Value, in general, (or good) is the intensional set of all intensions that are similar to one another.

"We look but we don't see. We have eyesight but we lack vision."
kennethamy

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 10:26 pm
@leafy,
leafy;99776 wrote:

Goodness doesn't exist at all, or at least in the sense that I mean exist. I prefer to keep "existence" to mean things that are physical. .

In that case you are just defining things out of existence, which seems to me making the same mistake as defining things into existence, of which you disapprove. The idea of existence should be neutral as to what things exist or do not exist so that the definition of "existence" should not presuppose what does or does not exist.
leafy

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 10:07 pm
@deepthot,
deepthot;103729 wrote:

If the concept "goodness" has no universal truth for you,

concepts do not have truth. Propositions have truth-values.

deepthot;103729 wrote:
No, these are not merely relative; they are also universal concepts.

Please support this with evidence or argument.
0 Replies

Emil

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 10:46 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;103732 wrote:
In that case you are just defining things out of existence, which seems to me making the same mistake as defining things into existence, of which you disapprove. The idea of existence should be neutral as to what things exist or do not exist so that the definition of "existence" should not presuppose what does or does not exist.

I think that he meant it as in he chose a definition of "exists" that implies that certain things do not exist. There is no problem with that. All definitions have that implication.
0 Replies

leafy

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 05:16 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;103732 wrote:

Leaf;6185144 wrote:

Originally posted at FRDB.
Panpsychist;6163248 wrote:

The answer to these arguments is clear - a definition cannot establish existence. These arguments invariably prove trivial truths (for example - that "all existing things" is a sum that exists), or jump from the possible to the existant.

When reading Logic and Theism by Jordan Sobel, I came in agreement with him with Kant's defense from the ontological argument.

Quote:
5.1. It is sometimes said that Kant's criticism of ontological arguments is that
they count existence as a predicate that can be included in concepts and def-
initions, whereas existence is not a predicate and cannot be included in any
concept or definition. In fact, Kant does not say that existence is not a pred-
icate. What he says is that, although a logical predicate, as is "[a]nything we
please," it is not a real or determining predicate that when "added to the con-
cept of [a] subject ... enlarges it" (Kant 1958, CPR, p. 504 - A598/B626). The
suggestion here is not that the predicate of existence cannot be added to a
concept, but at most only that there can be no point to adding it to a concept.
[...]
5.2. What is, however, presently more important than Kant's view about the
peculiar character of the predicate of existence is that Kant does not suppose
that including existence in a concept is tantamount to defining into existence
an object answering to this concept. He was concerned to oppose this view,
which he considered to be importantly mistaken: "So great, indeed, is the
deluding influence exercised by this logical necessity that, by the simple device
of forming an a priori concept of a thing in such amanner as to include existence
within the scope of its meaning, we have supposed ourselves to have justified
the conclusion that because existence necessarily belongs to the object of this
concept - always under the condition that we posit the thing as given (as
existing) - we are also of necessity, in accordance with the law of identity,
required to posit the existence of its object, and that this being is therefore
itself absolutely necessary" (CPR, p. 502 - A594/B622). Deluded, Kant says,
we suppose that because, when we include existence in the scope of a thing's
concept, existence then necessarily belongs to any object of this concept, we
by this inclusion secure the existence of an object of this concept as something
that is itself absolutely necessary. But, Kant says, including existence in the
concept of a thing has no such effect. Of course, if existence is included in the
concept of a G, then necessarily, for any thing that is a G, this thing exists.
However, that is not to say, or to provide a reason, in contrast with an excuse,
for thinking that there is a G that necessarily exists. Observe that in making
these points Kant allows existence to be a predicate included in concepts of
things. He says that it is only a confusion to think that such things must exist, a
confusion I would add that is served by the uncertain identity of this thought:
'Such things must exist' can mean that any such thing would necessarily exist
(for it is part of its concept that it should), and it can mean that necessarily
some such thing does exist.
In other words, Russell's distinction between subjects and their descriptions is at hand. A description of God, its definition, can contain the concept of existence. For example, God can be defined as "the being such that it is omnipotent, and exists". This doesn't entail that there are any beings such that they exist, it just means that for any being that would be a God under this definition would be an existing one.

How about another example? If we define "trees" to be "existent tall perennial woody plant having a main trunk and branches forming a distinct elevated crown; includes both gymnosperms and angiosperms", that doesn't mean that there necessarily is a tree. All this description entails is that any tree would be existent, as per the first quality mentioned.

I posted this at FRDB a few minutes ago, and hope you find it an adequate response.
0 Replies

deepthot

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 06:58 pm
@deepthot,
Greetings leafy,

The point is that, as Anselm pointed out, it is inconceivable to imagine a true God that would not exist. If a god is really going to be God surely it must at least exist!

I agree that definitions do not as a rule bring anything into existence. But my notion of a concept entails an extension. You may aargue that the only member of the class of extension is the Null Set, but if you do, you are missing out on a wonderful experience that can make your life much muore meaningful than it already is, if it is. God has done so much for me that it's beyond words.

[For example, every time I get an ache or a pain, or a cold or any symptom, God heals it up quite rapidly when I pray for God to "Come to me as Health!!!" God shows me the Way. Now that I am close to 80, this means a lot to me, as you can well imagine.]

When wealth is lost, little is lost. When health is lost, much is lost.
When faith is lost, all is lost.

---------- Post added 11-18-2009 at 07:07 PM ----------

leafy;104207 wrote:
concepts do not have truth. Propositions have truth-values.

Please support this with evidence or argument.

With regard to your first sentence evidently you did not read my logical and axiological analysis of "truth" in the Epistemoloy Forum. Look it up. You may be glad you did.

In case you missed it, here is a link to it:
http://www.philosophyforum.com/philosophy-forums/branches-philosophy/epistemology/4644-what-truth-what-does-mean-exist.html

I believe, although I may be wrong, that the concepts "good" and "goodness" are to be found in virtually every culture on Earth. (There may be an exception somewhere, but that culture has either died out, or is on its way to die out.) Hence they may justifiably be characterized as universal concepts.

Thus there are some universal concepts. {If you want to quibble, I will concede in advance that maybe "global concepts" would have been a better choice of words.}

Yours sincerely,

deepthot
hue-man

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 07:18 pm
@William,
The title of this thread alone is laughable.
deepthot

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 07:59 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;104409 wrote:
The title of this thread alone is laughable.

I am really truly glad you had a good laugh. My very purpose in life to bring people a little closer to Goodness by means of humor is being fulfilled.

My friend, the burden, however is on you to explain

1) Why those qualities I indicated that God (as I define it) possesses, are not possessed by my God; and

2) Why does a person waste any time here at The Philosophy of Religion Forum when he may be a nihilist in these fields, in this branch of reflective study??

3) Is it possible to prove that something does NOT exist?
I chose to argue that something positive is going on.

4) You are aware, aren't you, that my definition of morality is not the conventional one; and that what I mean by "God" is rather non-conventional also. As you well know, having read some of my writings, I believe persons can possess morality (be moral.) If God is a person, then God can possess morality. Isn't that reasonable?

{Incidentally, the Chairman of the Philosophy Department at Boston University for many years, the late Dr. Peter Bertocci, wrote a very thick volume (over 400 pages) arguing carefully that God is a person. I may have misremembered but I believe that this was the title of his book: THE PERSONHOOD OF GOD. }

What I do is affirm a relationship between energy and the highest values, all rolled into one. It is negentropy blended with the Intrinsic Values. If it doesn't persuade some readers -- fine ! I only want to help those who are ready to be helped, those who want to improve their lives.

[It wasn't meant that way so please do not take anything said here personally should it not apply to you.]
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 08:52 pm
@deepthot,
deepthot;104402 wrote:
as Anselm pointed out, it is inconceivable to imagine a true God that would not exist. If a god is really going to be God surely it must at least exist!
I've yet to see a discussion on Anselm's proof in which it's proved that existence is greater than nonexistence, or that existence in reality is greater than existence in imagination. "Greater" is not some objective measure, it's a reflection of the values of Anselm and whoever shares his argument. I can imagine, or at least rationalize, a non-existent God -- it's perfectly conceivable to me.
0 Replies

leafy

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 10:02 pm
@deepthot,
deepthot;104402 wrote:

The point is that, as Anselm pointed out, it is inconceivable to imagine a true God that would not exist. If a god is really going to be God surely it must at least exist!

Yes. This is the proposition in the book Logic and Theism (x)[Gx ⊃ (Mx & Rx)], or "For any x, if x is a being such that no greater being can be thought, then that being exists in the mind and in reality", which is not the existential claim that there is an entity (∃x)(Gx).

deepthot;104402 wrote:

I agree that definitions do not as a rule bring anything into existence. But my notion of a concept entails an extension.

Then we aren't using the same words.

I won't respond to your testimony, because it's irrelevant.
0 Replies