Is it rational to assume this will be our only life?

Fido

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 04:46 pm
@etcetcetc00,
A possibility is not a theory, and the possibility of another life when ours is so clearly of this matter and this moment is more of an impossibility... If you were cloned would that be you??? Is it only genes that make you???And what if the clone was robbed of an organ and died to preserve your life??? Did you die to live, or will you like all other live to die??? What we are is consciousness, and that consciousness has grown up with a certain bit of matter, and when that matter dies, consciousness dies, and no amount of chance will reconstruct us no matter how much of chance went into making us... There are no infinite possibilities... All life as we know it will die with the earth, which like ourselves is finite, and like the sun, finite, and like the whole cosmos, finite.. The end...

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

dwixi;71515 wrote:
Shot at what?

We need to define what it is first to decide its are only shot at it.

If you think of it in terms of physics.
There really is no such thing as time. Time is an illusion.
to this logic the whole idea of you having one shot seems silly.

Life is only infinite seeming because we cannot, while alive, find the sum of it, and when dead, cannot check it, and in either event cannot assign meaning to it apart from it... But life is finite, and the end is the end is the end... Unless we have children; but they make lousy pets... By the time you get them toilet trained they are ready to hate your guts for twenty years... If you were still filling your britches you might have some reason to hate me, ya rat...Never ever tell them you gave them life... Life sucks and that is why they can't gut you... Just tell them some one left them on the front porch with twenty dollars for pampers, and you just want to collect your due with a live baby to prove you did your worst...
sarathustrah

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 11:23 pm
@glasstrees,
dwixi;71515 wrote:
Shot at what?

We need to define what it is first to decide its are only shot at it.

If you think of it in terms of physics.
There really is no such thing as time. Time is an illusion.
to this logic the whole idea of you having one shot seems silly.

shot at experiences... id say your getting a little too technical here... sure time is an illusion.. there is only a now to experience. so you should experience this "now" as if youll never get another chance to experience consciousness ever again.

follow me?
0 Replies

glasstrees

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 04:52 am
@Fido,
Fido;71521 wrote:
A possibility is not a theory, and the possibility of another life when ours is so clearly of this matter and this moment is more of an impossibility... If you were cloned would that be you??? Is it only genes that make you???And what if the clone was robbed of an organ and died to preserve your life??? Did you die to live, or will you like all other live to die??? What we are is consciousness, and that consciousness has grown up with a certain bit of matter, and when that matter dies, consciousness dies, and no amount of chance will reconstruct us no matter how much of chance went into making us... There are no infinite possibilities... All life as we know it will die with the earth, which like ourselves is finite, and like the sun, finite, and like the whole cosmos, finite.. The end...

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

Life is only infinite seeming because we cannot, while alive, find the sum of it, and when dead, cannot check it, and in either event cannot assign meaning to it apart from it... But life is finite, and the end is the end is the end... Unless we have children; but they make lousy pets... By the time you get them toilet trained they are ready to hate your guts for twenty years... If you were still filling your britches you might have some reason to hate me, ya rat...Never ever tell them you gave them life... Life sucks and that is why they can't gut you... Just tell them some one left them on the front porch with twenty dollars for pampers, and you just want to collect your due with a live baby to prove you did your worst...

Wow. Your a very negative person.

We have no reason to believe there are limits to time and everything. Infact it seems kinda silly. That still has the problem of why something when there could be nothing? Also you can study this outer world all you want but that still doesnt get past consciousness. Theres no way of knowing consciousness isnt the true nature of reality. This could all be like a dream world D:
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:30 am
@etcetcetc00,
We conceive of ourselves spiritually, and this concept leads to every outrage we experience in life... So rather than state the obvious: that we are life, consciousness based upon matter, let me join with you and say all matter is illusion, and life is not dependent upon matter on absolutly no proof but a muddled self conception that has skewed our view of all reality from the beginning... Sorry I seem negative to you... The spiritual conception of reality is the true negative, and I will not engage in mindless speculaton on the subject...We may be chance, but we should make the best of it, take care of it, and each other...
glasstrees

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:36 am
@Fido,
Fido;71676 wrote:
We conceive of ourselves spiritually, and this concept leads to every outrage we experience in life... So rather than state the obvious: that we are life, consciousness based upon matter, let me join with you and say all matter is illusion, and life is not dependent upon matter on absolutly no proof but a muddled self conception that has skewed our view of all reality from the beginning... Sorry I seem negative to you... The spiritual conception of reality is the true negative, and I will not engage in mindless speculaton on the subject...We may be chance, but we should make the best of it, take care of it, and each other...

Im actually interested in this. I do understand in a completely objective and none spiritual reality that we could convince ourselves completely of it actually being subjective and spiritual.

But also. In a subjective reality we would be able to convince ourselves of it being objective and non spiritual. "we have been on the ride for a while and we forget its just a ride. We start thinking the ride is life itself.

Don't you think theres no way we can prove this either way?
Fido

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:53 am
@glasstrees,
dwixi;71678 wrote:
Im actually interested in this. I do understand in a completely objective and none spiritual reality that we could convince ourselves completely of it actually being subjective and spiritual.

But also. In a subjective reality we would be able to convince ourselves of it being objective and non spiritual. "we have been on the ride for a while and we forget its just a ride. We start thinking the ride is life itself.

Don't you think theres no way we can prove this either way?

I don't think there is any way to prove anything in regard to the spiritual conception of life, except that this indeterminant thing soon becomes determined if the physical body or environment is messed with... Life is not the only spiritual conception we have...Perhaps the greatest number of forms we have are moral forms that con only be conceived of spiritually...That is what Ho Chi Minh said of us, that we were in the East fighting for essentially spiritual values... But take freedom, and take justice, and take virtue; and people die... Just as with life itself, though we conceive of these qualities spiritually, our spirits, and our lives rest upon them, and are kept by them from oblivion...
Grimlock

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 04:03 am
@Fido,
Seems like this thread has gotten a bit off track. The concept of eternal recurrence is certainly an interesting one to entertain, and opens up an explosion of questions pertaining to our existence in time, the finite or infinite qualities of reality, etc. Why don't we break down the problem a bit?

1) are there an infinite number of possible arrangements of matter (or energy) in this or any other possible universe? My answer (without commentary): No.
[INDENT]a) if no to the above: does free will exist? The existence of free will would preclude the repetition of only one self-identical universe ad infinitum. My answer: Yes.
[INDENT]i) if yes to the above: does free will allow an infinite number of choices, or are we nevertheless working "freely" within a finite system? My answer: No.

[/INDENT][/INDENT]- I would argue that we're dealing with a finite system that is nevertheless unpredictable within it's own boundaries, and that if repeated will not constantly yield a single value, but if repeated infinitely will constantly (interpret "constantly" as you like - it is perhaps a perversion of the standard concept of time) yield the same set of values.

2) is there a process of rebirth or repetition in the universe - be it through black holes, a continuous expansion and contraction, etc. - or do we just run through the show once and burn ourselves out? My answer: Yes.
[INDENT]a) if yes to the above: what is this process? My answer: Who knows?
[/INDENT]I do believe that our existence is somehow eternal, multiplicative, and finite (within a very large range). If the system is infinite, then a repetition of the same may not be possible, and then we are truly a one-off as beings, rather than transcending linear time, as I believe we do.

Occam's razor (that is - "do not create new systems to explain that which can be handled by the current theory") has been somewhat tangentally cited in this thread as an argument against eternal recurrence, but I think that criticism falls flat. It has been quite a long time since any physicist(ignoring for a moment the problems that invoking science brings into such a discussion) worth a damn has not believed that a radical revaluation of our notions of time and space is overdue. There is ample evidence to suggest that yes, we do in fact need to create a new, overarching theory to explain quite a few unresolved variables, not the least of which being time. It has been obvious for almost a hundred years, that the linear "one track" model of time accepted by the hoi polloi as reality is badly broken.
William

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 08:38 am
@Grimlock,
Grimlock;79584 wrote:

2) is there a process of rebirth or repetition in the universe - be it through black holes, a continuous expansion and contraction, etc. - or do we just run through the show once and burn ourselves out? My answer: Yes.
[INDENT]a) if yes to the above: what is this process? My answer: Who knows?
[/INDENT]

[INDENT]
Hello Grimlock. Please forgive me in that I may not understand all you are saying and please feel free to offer that which will help me do so.

As to the above statements and the one immediately prior as you note a "finite" universe. Perhaps it is not finite even on a much broader scale? That is why we assume "repetition" as Nietzsche thought. I do feel death can be interpreted as a "burnout", as it were to "rate" we use in our scientific and mathmetical calculations, and time being finite. What if it is not? How would that change those calculations?

Thanks for any thought you can give.

William

[/INDENT]
etcetcetc00

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 03:30 pm
@Fido,
Fido;71521 wrote:

I would argue that life is clearly not of this matter. A person's body shape changes drastically over the course of their life, and, over the course of a few years, every cell in the human body is replaced. Where then does the consciousness lie?

If you wish to argue that life exists as only the result of the natural processes that the universe went through, and has no superphysical quality to it, then, should the process repeat itself, that life MUST repeat. Any attempt to claim otherwise would require you to invoke some non-physical quality to life. I don't mean to say that a clone is the same person as the original, as it was created of different processes. That is a different, yet very similar person. My question to you is: Assuming two universes (A and B) that did the exact same things so that the events that took place unfolded in exactly the same manner, what quality of consciousness would allow for a person in Universe A to not live the life of his replica in universe B?

I view a life not as an object, but more as an event. It is an effect of trillions of chemical and electrical reactions, which include the reaction to all it sees, feels, smells, touches, tastes, thinks, and does. That is why a clone is not the same person. It does not see or do the same things as the same time.
Grimlock

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 04:19 pm
@William,
William;79604 wrote:
Hello Grimlock. Please forgive me in that I may not understand all you are saying and please feel free to offer that which will help me do so.

As to the above statements and the one immediately prior as you note a "finite" universe. Perhaps it is not finite even on a much broader scale? That is why we assume "repetition" as Nietzsche thought. I do feel death can be interpreted as a "burnout", as it were to "rate" we use in our scientific and mathmetical calculations, and time being finite. What if it is not? How would that change those calculations?

Hello William. If the possible set of arrangements of matter/energy in reality is infinite then even an infinite timeline should not lead to repetition of same. If it is somehow infinite, then all bets are off, it seems, though it is obviously folly to speak in absolutes when speculating on the end of time, or lack thereof.

How could reality consist of literally infinite possible arrangements of energy? If the amount of energy in the universe (or multiverse or whatever) is constant, then infinite possible arrangements doesn't make any sense. Eventually we come to a point where the 64 zillion puzzle pieces can only be arranged so many ways. In order for there to truly be a universe of limitless possibilities, it seems that energy must constantly be added to the system. From whence this energy is meant to flow (assuming for a moment that the infinite model is correct) is not for me to say. I do not believe that this is the case, but it certainly seems possible.

It is difficult to conceive of time as a finite variable. Perhaps it is so, but the concept of time with a clear beginning and end makes no sense that I can grasp, and so I generally work on the assumption that time's value in the equation is that neat little sideways 8. Energy, and the role that free will (if it exists) plays in the system (which raises questions of determinism vs. chaos), is another matter, entirely, but my intuition is that there are only so many possible arrangements of energy in the system, and only so many choices that a living being can actually make (I'd like to fly, but alas...). As false as it all may be, under this set of assumptions eternal recurrence exactly as Nietzsche described it appears to be the logical conclusion.
0 Replies

William

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 07:10 pm
@etcetcetc00,
Grimlock, what do you think of Haramein's "Unifed Field Theory"?

William
Fido

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 08:28 pm
@etcetcetc00,
etcetcetc00;79659 wrote:
I would argue that life is clearly not of this matter. A person's body shape changes drastically over the course of their life, and, over the course of a few years, every cell in the human body is replaced. Where then does the consciousness lie?

If you wish to argue that life exists as only the result of the natural processes that the universe went through, and has no superphysical quality to it, then, should the process repeat itself, that life MUST repeat. Any attempt to claim otherwise would require you to invoke some non-physical quality to life. I don't mean to say that a clone is the same person as the original, as it was created of different processes. That is a different, yet very similar person. My question to you is: Assuming two universes (A and B) that did the exact same things so that the events that took place unfolded in exactly the same manner, what quality of consciousness would allow for a person in Universe A to not live the life of his replica in universe B?

I view a life not as an object, but more as an event. It is an effect of trillions of chemical and electrical reactions, which include the reaction to all it sees, feels, smells, touches, tastes, thinks, and does. That is why a clone is not the same person. It does not see or do the same things as the same time.

Your opinion results from confusing the obvious with the actual... Pavlov's dogs confused the obvious ringing of a bell with the actual appearance of food...The two conditions had nothing to do with each other... As you say, the appearance of the body changes, and often many of our cells are replaced... Okay, but an old animal, like an old human tastes differently because while their muscles grow, they are injured, and scar tissue replaces healthy muscle... The matter women have injected to inflate their lips gradually takes the flavor out of life and meat..Yet, when we imagine ourselves without pain, without injury, and without scars, we imagine ourselves without life...

.We obviously see ourselves as spiritual beings... Our existence seems to precede our lives, and to follow after...In the past, Great wealth and resources were given over to the comforts of the dead...The pythagoreans for example who still have their followers, had a great narrative of the afterlife, and like many mysteries, had a method for the common man to reach the uncommon world of the Gods... It is all non sense... We live with the same life as the first life... We hold life for a term, and pass it on, or die without seed....It does not matter that our lives are the life of a million years, because when it is done for us it is done... What is natural is to pass on life...Well, people given to luxury have no time for giving life, and giving care... They die as part of societies in their death and decline, and it is such socieites that are most concerned with heaven and the life beyond... The reality seeps into their miserable existence... If you cannot bear children and you cannot live forever; then you can have the next best thing, a sense of eternity, and the outside hope that there you can exist... It is bunk..Meaning later is a poor reward for meaningless lives in the here and now
prothero

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:53 pm
@etcetcetc00,
Yes, perfectly rational and in accordance with the best available evidence.
It is not certain but it is definitely rational.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 07:05 am
@etcetcetc00,
People do better if they consider this their only life, their last chance, and only opportunity...If you know everything you will alway know too much, and only occasionally will you know enough to survive...Those lost in speculaton are doomed...If you live this life as you must, as life demands, with nothing certain, and everything to be made secure, then one life will be more than enough, and when finished, happily done...
Khethil

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 07:51 am
@Fido,
Fido;79970 wrote:
People do better if they consider this their only life, their last chance, and only opportunity...If you know everything you will alway know too much, and only occasionally will you know enough to survive...Those lost in speculaton are doomed...If you live this life as you must, as life demands, with nothing certain, and everything to be made secure, then one life will be more than enough, and when finished, happily done...

Bravo.

We have the ability to complicate just about anything into absurdity. The most likely explanation - for this whole ball of wax - is that things are pretty much just as they seem.

Sure, we can "what if" the bejesus out of it, but why? Live it, enjoy it, be good but know that your mortality; and learning to come to terms with it on its unedited face value - I think - is an important and essential element of living the most authentic and undiluted life possible.

Thanks
0 Replies

etcetcetc00

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 10:49 am
@Fido,
Fido;79695 wrote:
Your opinion results from confusing the obvious with the actual...

Do you feel like providing evidence for this idea? In actuality, all cells in the body are replaced several times over. You still haven't addressed the reasoning behind what I said. I understand that you disagree, but I'd rather you address what I said directly rather than disagree outright and provide reasoning behind why I might adhere to faulty logic.

If you claim consciousness is fully extinguished at death, never to be reincarnated, then I ask that you define consciousness in terms of its substance and origin. Some things happened to create my consciousness. If the same things happen again, why wouldn't it be me? Is there a superphysical quality that could not be recreated?

The way I see it, consciousness is the product of an extremely complex system of electrical interference caused by the arrangement of neurons in the brain. Should that system be recreated, it would result in the same consciousness. Because of all the factors that determine this arrangement, it is not likely to ever repeat within this universe. However, the fact that I'm here to type this to you stands as proof that what happened in this universe so far created my consciousness. Be the actual substance of cosciousness as it may, what do you have that could stand to disrupt the claim that the same causes will provide the same effect? The same causes may never arrive again, but if they did, why would the person created in the second series of events not be me?
Grimlock

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 11:33 am
@William,
William;79690 wrote:
Grimlock, what do you think of Haramein's "Unifed Field Theory"?

William

I don't know who Haramein is. Are you referring to Heim, perhaps? At any rate, I am no theoretical physicist, but it seems clear enough that we are still far, far away from even a rough understanding of what's going on under the hood (ignoring for the moment the fact that, if free will is accepted as fact, science can therefore never yield "the answer").

I find "looks like a duck" anti-scientific (and anti-rational?) arguments profoundly futile. Refusing to consider theoretical physics as it applies to philosophy and human life in the present is, qualitatively, no different than the Catholic mauling of Copernicus and Galileo. We are physical creatures in a physical world. However quixotic the scientists' quest for "truth" may be, scientific theory brings us closer to at least a thin outline of physical reality and our place therein. How could that possibly be irrelevant to philosophy? It is of the utmost importance.

"What you see is what you get", while true in the sense that all science involves tautology and falsification, is nevertheless a profoundly proletarian philosophy. It seems somehow inappropriate for a place like this.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 09:39 pm
@etcetcetc00,
etcetcetc00;79994 wrote:
Do you feel like providing evidence for this idea? In actuality, all cells in the body are replaced several times over. You still haven't addressed the reasoning behind what I said. I understand that you disagree, but I'd rather you address what I said directly rather than disagree outright and provide reasoning behind why I might adhere to faulty logic.

If you claim consciousness is fully extinguished at death, never to be reincarnated, then I ask that you define consciousness in terms of its substance and origin. Some things happened to create my consciousness. If the same things happen again, why wouldn't it be me? Is there a superphysical quality that could not be recreated?

The way I see it, consciousness is the product of an extremely complex system of electrical interference caused by the arrangement of neurons in the brain. Should that system be recreated, it would result in the same consciousness. Because of all the factors that determine this arrangement, it is not likely to ever repeat within this universe. However, the fact that I'm here to type this to you stands as proof that what happened in this universe so far created my consciousness. Be the actual substance of cosciousness as it may, what do you have that could stand to disrupt the claim that the same causes will provide the same effect? The same causes may never arrive again, but if they did, why would the person created in the second series of events not be me?

I want to tell you one thing...Your presumption that people's bodies change radically is nonsense...Childhood is radical...Puberty is pretty radical... Mostly we are stabile, because the process of aging slows down, but we die because the healing process cannot keep pace with injuries...Most of us do not grow morbidly obese... We all still walk on our legs and talk with our hands... Our noses run and our feet smell; but other than that we are ourselves... Now, my understanding is that some brain cells may last a life time, and ditto for some bone cells if a person does not live too long... Certainly, some people from some communiites in America have life spans equal to their first set of brain cells, or bone cells...It does not matter how often they are replaced, but what you do with them...My father is counting down the minutes of his life, but he has done well and dared death often...He has taken care of his own, including his body, but he can't fight cancer and get along...I do not think he looks far different from the guy I see in the mirror, or himself in his twenties...He is simply whisping away...And don't we all wish we could be him, in his eighties, using up every second of natural life, and leaving not much good meat for the worms... I digress...

Consider your opinion as to consiousness: As you break down the origins of consciousness into some natural phenomenon at a cellular level, which it may well be, if it could be proved in part; does it not detract from the whole process of consciousness, the dynamic, the sense of time, the planning for the future, the group consciouness, and the cultural consciousness that go to make us what we are, and helps to keep us pointed all in the same direction??? We look at the stars and fall into a cistern, and this happened to a philosopher once... But if we look at life by the life of cells we miss by far the whole picture... If we change all the cells in our minds, do we have the same memories???Do the old cells teach the new cells as they are replaced???My grand father drank enough to retire three sets of brain cells, and yet his memory was sharp, and full of detail.. We can, as philosophy has, spend a great portion of our lives in trivia, and wild speculation....The Greeks had to, since they had no scientific instraments... But they also turned their attention to ethics, and aesthetics, and these two pursuits give us the good life, and a society that can be maintained, that does not tear itself to shreds or is over run... Focus on one life...It is all you have...And that is plenty done right...
0 Replies

transcendental

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 11:08 pm
@etcetcetc00,
etcetcetc00;79994 wrote:

I would have to agree whole-heartedly with Fido on this point, do not confuse the obvious with the actual. Your manner of reasoning skips important steps in the intellectual process. Now, let me propose another possible explanation for what you are talking about; if you regard consciousness as merely the product of brain activity and not the process itself, if there exists cells capable of maintaining the process by way of replacing themselves, the product would be maintained, as it is a constant flow of electrical pulses... to coninue on until the process is disrupted. On another point if you read into contemporary phychology or even phychology in its infancy you would know they brain pathways are developed along the course of your life and small differences as seemingly insignificant as contact with mere words more so than others can drasticly change the way in which are brain develops. Right now there is evidence that we can rebuild the connections our brain has made through our lives with the correct therapy. I would think that most likely the harsh reality is that we have no consiousness; it is nothing but a propagated delusion that the human race can not let go of...a naive fantasy we create to lead ourselves away from our eventual death. The probability that your life would be an identical life as your other self is so absurdly low it enters the realm of impossibility; so does an impossiblity count as proof of your argument in this case...in my humble opinion..no.
Grimlock

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 12:19 am
@transcendental,
transcendental;80118 wrote:
The probability that your life would be an identical life as your other self is so absurdly low it enters the realm of impossibility; so does an impossiblity count as proof of your argument in this case...in my humble opinion..no.

Of course, if you're dealing with time as an infinite variable in a recursive system (both distinct possibilities), then your absurdly low probability rises to 100%. I think both you and Fido are doing an injustice to what etc. is trying to say, though for apparently different reasons.

As to the question of the existence of consciousness: it is the ultimate tautology. There is no sense in arguing the point. As Descartes said (but in French, and in a much more complicated way), I = I. What is I? I don't know.