Is it rational to assume this will be our only life?

Fido

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 04:16 am
@etcetcetc00,
We are never the same people twice, but what we are and are conscious of is part of a cultural process that is ongoing...Would we be ourselves without language, or with another language???For example, if we were, but without the means to be conscious so that we could translate that being to ourselves, then our being could be very thin...Look at those who lose their minds gradually, or parts of their brains to disease... They exist, yet a new beings in a new world...I am not them, and I cannot say, but are they living again, or at all???
0 Replies

glasstrees

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 05:39 am
@Grimlock,
Grimlock;80125 wrote:
Of course, if you're dealing with time as an infinite variable in a recursive system (both distinct possibilities), then your absurdly low probability rises to 100%. I think both you and Fido are doing an injustice to what etc. is trying to say, though for apparently different reasons.

As to the question of the existence of consciousness: it is the ultimate tautology. There is no sense in arguing the point. As Descartes said (but in French, and in a much more complicated way), I = I. What is I? I don't know.

Yeah definately. you can see life as a darwinian struggle but you could just aseasily look at it as a consousness struggle. from a low consciousness of basic life growing all the time. With all the perspectives.

you can make a statement like "I cant live with myself" You can dissociate consciousness itself from the ego that comes from your physical body, this physical dimension.
Fido

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 06:04 am
@glasstrees,
dwixi;80503 wrote:
Yeah definately. you can see life as a darwinian struggle but you could just aseasily look at it as a consousness struggle. from a low consciousness of basic life growing all the time. With all the perspectives.

you can make a statement like "I cant live with myself" You can dissociate consciousness itself from the ego that comes from your physical body, this physical dimension.

To be alienated from self is a luxury of wealth... Ask the starving man if he feels alienated...Ask the man dying with cancer... Pain, emotional, chronic, nerve, or whatever have you makes people live in their bodies more than most of us would like to...Many people saying I can't live with myself mean that pain of one kind or another is killing them...But just think of the times we turn on the tube to watch fictional people live their lives when our own are so listless in the living... Think of the number of times you could feel, and love every moment of your feeling, and wish to die right there, or continue on with the way you feel forever...The opportunity so seldom prsents itself for us to be truly open to our lives, our senses, and emotions... Yet we can never have goodness by seeking goodness, but only find goodness by sifting it out of reality...
glasstrees

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 06:50 am
@Fido,
Fido;80506 wrote:
To be alienated from self is a luxury of wealth... Ask the starving man if he feels alienated...Ask the man dying with cancer... Pain, emotional, chronic, nerve, or whatever have you makes people live in their bodies more than most of us would like to...Many people saying I can't live with myself mean that pain of one kind or another is killing them...But just think of the times we turn on the tube to watch fictional people live their lives when our own are so listless in the living... Think of the number of times you could feel, and love every moment of your feeling, and wish to die right there, or continue on with the way you feel forever...The opportunity so seldom prsents itself for us to be truly open to our lives, our senses, and emotions... Yet we can never have goodness by seeking goodness, but only find goodness by sifting it out of reality...

The things that make you judge if something is good or bad is also part of the ego. If you don't have control over what is happening to the ego or how the ego is feeling thats still nothing to do with the fact of consciousness. Yes consciousness can be altered in ways that cloud the self. you use examples of pain but this can also be so with examples of happiness. Self can also be clouded by a happy ego. Someone that is very wealthy and happy because of it's ego desires being forfilled. Yes I agree that the same go's for pain too. Your ego desires are not being forfilled by pain and true self is clouded then too. True self is neutral. High activity of the ego wether it be pain or pleasure cloud the neutral truth of self.
Fido

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 08:36 am
@glasstrees,
Good or bad are good and bad to some one...And that would be ourselves...We judge on the basis of our one single life...Do it should be totally subjective, and yet it seldom is...What tends to make it objective, sort of, is the factor of society... Few screw society, and even the rich man who screws society for the benefit of his children is screwing society for a society....And right, we all judge...Life is judgement, and all our concepts are judgements, so it is what we are...
glasstrees

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 06:23 pm
@Fido,
Fido;80526 wrote:
Good or bad are good and bad to some one...And that would be ourselves...We judge on the basis of our one single life...Do it should be totally subjective, and yet it seldom is...What tends to make it objective, sort of, is the factor of society... Few screw society, and even the rich man who screws society for the benefit of his children is screwing society for a society....And right, we all judge...Life is judgement, and all our concepts are judgements, so it is what we are...

I had a dream. And in the dream I argued with a man in it weather the me in the thoughts in the dream was really me or was it a charrector being made by a higher state of consciousness. I wasnt lucid in this dream so i forgot i was dreaming. Yet I was there arging with myself in the dream weather the matter in the dream was just a subject. A projection of a higher consciousness. Theres no way to know unless I started having a lucid dream and noticed they were just a dream charector. Part of the same consciousness that was creating me and my thoughts as the dream charctor. A kid can climb over a wall when 100's of phillosophers and scientists are trying to prove what is on the other side of the wall.
Consciousness being separate from your thoughts is something inposible to argue againts. But can only be argued for by YOURSELF. You cant have an argument about it because the people you are arguing with are part of the consciousness itself. The only way is personal experience.
0 Replies

manfred

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 10:43 am
@etcetcetc00,
etcetcetc00;59995 wrote:
My argument is very simple, and based on no currently established forms of religion of which I am aware.

Anyone who contends that once their life is over, they'll never be anything more is attempting to limit the capabilities of the Universe.

Regardless of what happened to bring the Universe and all of us into existence, it happened, and is certainly possible. Is it rational to assume it couldn't happen again?

it's not rational to assume anything.
I look at it like this,if life were a mathematician and he/she suddenly solved PI,then Ka-boom!..game over,want to play again?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 10:50 am
@manfred,
manfred;99612 wrote:
it's not rational to assume anything.

I certainly hope you are wrong. I am having a sandwich right now, and I assume that it isn't poisoned. Isn't that rational?
manfred

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 11:00 am
@kennethamy,
I certainly hope i am as well.
Hey,a penny.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 11:22 am
@manfred,
manfred;99617 wrote:
I certainly hope i am as well.
Hey,a penny.

I think you are wrong, since I assume it is rational for me to eat that sandwich, and assume it is not poisoned.
manfred

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 06:40 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;99620 wrote:
I think you are wrong, since I assume it is rational for me to eat that sandwich, and assume it is not poisoned.

I assumed we were talking about the copulation between life and rational assumptions associated with the idea we only get one to shot at existence
(an orgy of understanding if you will).I also assume that was way too many big words to stress my origional point that has now left me lost in translation,so i assume this post will receive no response.By the way,your sandwich was covered in germs,you do realize what "some" germs can do to the human body,right?
0 Replies