This matter of religious belief

MMP2506

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 04:30 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;132943 wrote:
Why couldn't he hold doubt about something which someone else claims to have experienced? Schizophraniacs claim to experience all sorts of things, and we often have good reason to doubt that what they are experiencing has anything to do with the truth. For instance, a patient in my mother's psyche hospital believes that he is building a spaceship in his stomach every time he consumes a piece of metal - he claims to be able to feel the "little people" in his stomach constructing the ship. You sincerely believe we should not doubt, and instead believe that what he says may be true since we have never experienced what it is like to have a spaceship built in our stomach?

We can most certainly believe that the person in question thinks he is experiencing a particular thing, and we can even believe that said person is experiencing something, but that does not mean we have to believe that said person is right about what he thinks he is experiencing. We can have doubt, and not only is there nothing wrong with that, we often have good reason to do so.

Schizophrenics don't claim to experience all sorts of things, they do experience it, even though they may be the only ones who do. Does that make their experience any less real to them?

For years people experienced a flat world, does that mean they lived an a false reality? One day people may have the ability to teleport, does that mean that we live in a false reality because at this point in time that isn't possible?

---------- Post added 02-26-2010 at 04:35 PM ----------

Zetherin;132946 wrote:
Here you go, once again, not distinguishing between faith and justified belief.

And, once again, I will have to tell you: They are not the same.

You don't have faith in your justified beliefs?
1CellOfMany

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 10:08 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;132812 wrote:
[jeeprs said:] "Nevertheless I am someone who has had spiritual and religious experiences, so I don't share the view that all religion is simply delusion."

I don't doubt for a moment that you have had religious experiences in the sense that you interpreted them as showing something about the truth of religion. But I do doubt that you have had religious experiences in the sense that they did show anything about the truth of religion. That distinction has to be carefully drawn.

Again: In the sense that in India it may be that religion is not placed in doubt as it is in the West, religion is better in India.
But, not in the sense that religion as practiced in India somehow confirms the truth of religion, since there are the very same doubts wherever religion is practiced, even if they are not raised in some places.
When you said,"I do doubt that you have had religious experiences in the sense that they did show anything about the truth of religion," do you mean, "I do doubt that you have had religious experiences in the sense that they did show [anyone but yourself] anything about the truth of religion"?

Did you interpret his post as an argument that others should believe in religion? It appeared to me that, in his OP, jeeprs is talking about his personal approach to and experience of religion. He is also saying, in the kindest manner, that there are many different interpretations and approaches to religion which other people have adopted. Some of these are based more in dogma and belief, while others, such as his own approach, are based more in practice and personal transformation. He also mentions that some people seem to have responded to certain varieties of religion (perhaps the more "profit" oriented varieties) by turning away from, or even turning against, religion.

The important distinction that jeepers makes is that, while religious experience and practice takes many forms, some of those forms or approaches may exemplify those characteristics for which religion is often criticized, but other forms of, or approaches to religion are positive. The differences do not necessarily depend on what religion or branch of religion is studied and practiced, but rather on how the individual practices that religion.

Also, it sometimes happens that a group of individuals who approach religion as a means for positive personal transformation will form a community, but perhaps that is an issue for another thread.

---------- Post added 03-02-2010 at 11:57 PM ----------

kennethamy;132881 wrote:
Why not? Whether LBP exists is an empirical question, isn't it? All statements of the form, " X exists" (with the exception, perhaps) of some mathematical statements, perhaps) are empirical statement. Certainly, all statements of that form are contingent statements. How else can we tell whether X exists or not (with the exception I made for mathematics and logic) if not empirically?
The type of hypothesis that is tested by scientifc experiment is usually of the sort "if A (conditions or circumstances) then B" or, to prove causation, "if one does A in these specific, controlable conditions, the result will be B". The actual hypothesis that the experiment tests is what is called the "null" hypothesis: You are seeing if you can prove that your hypothesis is FALSE! You set up all of what you believe to be the necessary conditions, you do A to one sample but not to another. If doing A produced B, and not doing A did not produce B, then your hypothesis is NOT rejected. Which is to say that it IS considered to be supported.
In the case of proving that something DOES exist, all that is needed is to produce one example, or, if it is something, like a sub-atomic particle, which cannot be directly perceived, one forms predictions based on what difference the existence of the object would make on those things which CAN be observed, such tracks in a cloud chamber. The presence of these effects does not PROVE the existence of the [sub-atomic particle], but it supports the case for its existence. Can we PROVE the existence of tectonic plates in the earth's crust? We certainly have plenty of evidence that they exist, and the predictions that have been made based on the theory of their nature and existence have been born out, but there could, potentially, be something else entirely going on under the ground.

It is harder to prove that some, specific thing does NOT exist! Can you look everywhere at once to see if LBP is there? She could be one place while you look elsewhere, then tomorrow, she could move to where you looked last week. You also must define what test to use on a potential LBP to determine if it is the real thing. Perhaps an LBP is any young, female, owner or caretaker of sheep. Or it is any person who is known to those around her as "Little Bo Peep". Or perhaps it must be a person who embodies both of those characteristics. In any case, one would have to examine every potential candidate in every place on earth (assuming that LBP is defined as a Terrestrial being).

So, can science prove that God does not exist? (Very doubtful)
Do some people believe that they have evidence that God does exist? (Obviously they do.)
Are those who doubt or deny the existence of God going to change their minds based on the experience of others? (Doubtful)
Can scientific tests be devised to support the theory of cosmic strings? (Not yet, but we may know some day!)
Could scientific tests be devised to support the theory that a God with a specified set of properties exists? (Again, not at this time, but we have a while to find out, if we don't kill ourselves in the near future!)
Krumple

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 11:34 pm
@1CellOfMany,
1CellOfMany;135136 wrote:
So, can science prove that God does not exist? (Very doubtful)
Do some people believe that they have evidence that God does exist? (Obviously they do.)
Are those who doubt or deny the existence of God going to change their minds based on the experience of others? (Doubtful)
Can scientific tests be devised to support the theory of cosmic strings? (Not yet, but we may know some day!)
Could scientific tests be devised to support the theory that a God with a specified set of properties exists? (Again, not at this time, but we have a while to find out, if we don't kill ourselves in the near future!)

Not to pick on you but I can show you how your reasoning is sliced in such a way that you can't even notice when you make contradictions.

First you start off with this statement:

"So, can science prove that God does not exist? (Very doubtful)"

I want you to keep in mind your response to your own question. The "very doubtful" part because then you say:

"Could scientific tests be devised to support the theory that a God with a specified set of properties exists?"

However; this time you answer your question like this:

"(Again, not at this time, but we have a while to find out, if we don't kill ourselves in the near future!)"

Okay have you noticed your mistake yet? If not let me explain. Your first question is valid and a good question but like I said your response is the key point. Very doubtful meaning, more than likely science will never be able to disprove the existence of god. Yet later you make a similar question almost a reversal of the first. Can science devise a test that would be supportive of the theory of the properties of god? Well to know any traits you would first have to acknowledge that the object you are testing is testable or real. But the funny thing is your response to your question is more positive than your first response. You say not at this time, meaning you are optimistic that eventually we will be able to. In fact you solidify your optimism by saying if we don't kill ourselves implying that we will eventually given enough time.

Now how is it you can ask two similar question and provide two almost apposing responses? Because you have already decided the answers. You are saying science is incapable of disproving god but we can determine the traits of god. Therefore you are making an indirect claim that god exist, there is no way to disprove something because it exists, and all we need to do is find a solution to prove the traits of that god.

Why all the run around? Who are you trying to convince? Your motive is clear as that. Am I wrong? Did I miss something?
Geoveda

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 12:27 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;132947 wrote:
Science depends on consensus. If you get cold fusion in your garage, and no one else sees it or can make it happen themselves, you will not be believed. Science is the democratization of truth. This is not by any means an exhaustive description, but objectivity and consensus are close indeed.

Bravo! Science is the democratization of truth, as empiricism can be the imperialism of understanding. A strange metaphor, perhaps. But my point is, it is far easier to rest on the laurels on what the dominant group recognize as truth, rather than take the red pill and discover the 'desert of the real'.

Besides... what if we're right?
0 Replies

1CellOfMany

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 06:30 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;135174 wrote:
Not to pick on you but I can show you how your reasoning is sliced in such a way that you can't even notice when you make contradictions.

First you start off with this statement:

"So, can science prove that God does not exist? (Very doubtful)"

I want you to keep in mind your response to your own question. The "very doubtful" part because then you say:

"Could scientific tests be devised to support the theory that a God with a specified set of properties exists?"

However; this time you answer your question like this:

"(Again, not at this time, but we have a while to find out, if we don't kill ourselves in the near future!)"

Okay have you noticed your mistake yet? If not let me explain. Your first question is valid and a good question but like I said your response is the key point. Very doubtful meaning, more than likely science will never be able to disprove the existence of god. Yet later you make a similar question almost a reversal of the first. Can science devise a test that would be supportive of the theory of the properties of god? Well to know any traits you would first have to acknowledge that the object you are testing is testable or real. But the funny thing is your response to your question is more positive than your first response. You say not at this time, meaning you are optimistic that eventually we will be able to. In fact you solidify your optimism by saying if we don't kill ourselves implying that we will eventually given enough time.

Now how is it you can ask two similar question and provide two almost apposing responses? Because you have already decided the answers. You are saying science is incapable of disproving god but we can determine the traits of god. Therefore you are making an indirect claim that god exist, there is no way to disprove something because it exists, and all we need to do is find a solution to prove the traits of that god.

Why all the run around? Who are you trying to convince? Your motive is clear as that. Am I wrong? Did I miss something?

Hello, Krumple! I was quite aware of the difference in the two responses. The reason that I say "very doubtful" regarding proof that God does NOT exist is explained before when I talk about why it is more difficult to prove that any specific thing does NOT exist, than it is to support the case for believing that it DOES exist. (Note that I do not say "prove" that something or some one exists, as, by analogy, it is not "proven" that tectonic plates exist.) The difference does not have to do with my predisposition to believe in the existence of God, but rather with the nature of PROOF in general, be it of God or quarks, or human compassion.

In the case of "supporting the case that God exists" (and, of course, this could also be said of Cosmic Strings, or Bigfoot or the Flying Spaghetti Monster), one would need to devise a plausible theory which predicts certain things that would be true if God does exist, but would not likely be true if God does not exist. At the present time, there is no such theory or set of conditions. Personal experience of God or the Holy Spirit is sufficient evidence to convince [some of] those people who have had such experiences that God exists, but there is plenty of room for others to doubt that the experiences are any more than the results physiologically altered mental states.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 07:48 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;132857 wrote:
We can't? Why not? Unless science can exclude the existence of Santa, it ought to fund an expedition to the North Pole to find out whether or not Santa exists. (And take a look around for the helpers while about it, too).

Science's main remit is to observe what we see in the natural universe, hypothesise reasons for why we see such things the way we do and test and debate these ideas to weed out the ones that don't seem to work and further our understanding of those that do.

The idea that science "ought" to fund an expedition to the North Pole in order to exclude the existence of Santa is nonsense for the following reasons:

1) It's not science's remit to include or exclude anything - but to provide explantions for what we observe and can verify or falsify. Scientific observation can lend creedence to certain arguments over others. For example - the theory of gravity doesn't prove people who think objects are held in place or motion by invisible intangible angels are wrong - it just provides a much better argument with loads of supporting evidence that objects are attracted to one another depending on their relative mass, density and proximity. So much so that the intangible invisible angels thing looks really really silly, but it's not disproven.
2) Likewise the Santa myth can't be disproven by science - it can just provide very convincing arguments as to why it is unlikely. We known of no species of deer that can fly. If a species of flying reindeer could be found the speed it would need to travel in order to deliver santa to the houses of all the world's reasonably well behaved christian children would cause it to absorb so much energy that explosive death would be near instantaneous. That sort of thing.
3) Such observations tend to put the supporters of the myth on the defensive, so they claim that special dispensations be made to allow it - such as the mystical slowing of time that occurs in movies featuring Santa. However, as the saying goes "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - until someone explains how such a phenomena could be observed or modelled it isn't a matter for science.
4) Lapland aint even at the North Pole.

So science is actually agnostic as to such matters - and that's what it "ought" to be. Individual scientists will have their opinions of course. If they want those opinions to pass into the scientific consensus they'll have to publish a peer reviewed paper on "the definitive absence of Santa" in which they explain how they disprove all the apparent unfalsifiables involved.

Where deities fit in is that accounts of their existence or activities are also riven with unfalsifiables.

---------- Post added 03-03-2010 at 09:00 AM ----------

kennethamy;132873 wrote:
My point is that you, on one hand, are saying that science cannot exclude the existence of Santa, but you agree that we should not bother mount an expedition in search of Santa. If you think the first, then why do you think the second?

Because the arguments that science does provide (as well as massive amounts of anecdotal evidence) cast so much doubt on the existence of Santa that such an expedition strikes everyone as a waste of time and resource.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 01:48 pm
@jeeprs,
Of course I agree that the existence of God is not a scientific question, but comparisons between Santa and God are specious, however. The God idea, right or wrong, is a principle foundation for the Western conceptions of ethics and society. The judeo-Christian ethos and the Ancient Greek conception of Deity are fundamental to many moral principles, the notion of the individual and the origin of many civil laws and other defining characteristics of Western civilization. So the comparisons of the notion of deity with Santa, the tooth fairy, various fictional characters from television, and so forth, simply illustrate, to my mind, the complete lack of insight into the nature of the question of the meaning of 'deity' in the minds of those who make them.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 02:12 pm
@jeeprs,
MMP2506 wrote:
Schizophrenics don't claim to experience all sorts of things, they do experience it, even though they may be the only ones who do. Does that make their experience any less real to them?

I just told you the man at that psyche hospital claims he experiences the feeling of a spaceship being built in his stomach. You believe he's really experiencing a spaceship being built in his stomach? You think that there really is a spaceship in his stomach? I say this with all sincerity: If you do, I would really recommend a psychiatric evaluation. I really don't mean that insultingly.

Quote:

There is a difference between belief with good reason, and belief without good reason.
0 Replies

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 02:41 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;132992 wrote:

Whenever the word "faith" appears, it seems that someone in these forums will equivocate.

Let us start with a dictionary:

Quote:
faith 
-noun
  1. Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.

2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. See Synonyms at belief, trust.

3. Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one's supporters.

4. often Faith Christianity The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.

5. The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith.

6. A set of principles or beliefs.
Faith | Define Faith at Dictionary.com

In the case of justified beliefs, believing them is not "faith" by definition 2 ("Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence"). Of course, if strongly held, it would be "faith" by definition 1 ("Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing"), because every strongly held belief is "faith" by that definition.

Very often, people slip back and forth between these things in discussions of "faith". Typically, what philosophers object to when they object to "faith" is definition 2, which is believing something without evidence. That is something that is quite different from believing something with evidence. See:

The Ethics Of Belief

Basically, when someone says that one should have faith (in sense 2), that person is advocating belief in something for which they have no evidence. There is, however, something rather ironic about those who make such claims:

Quote:
If one simply chooses, without regard to reason and evidence, why does one choose what one chooses? Why not choose the opposite? Or in matters of religion, if one chooses to be a Muslim, rather than a Christian or some other alternative, by faith, rather than with evidence, why choose those beliefs rather than any others? To see the need for evidence in matters of religion, one need only consider that the various religions all contradict each other, and, therefore, they cannot all be true. And why choose one religion rather than another? When a believer is attempting to convert others, what can be said to someone who claims faith in another religion? The believer can say that only his or her faith is faith in something true, but that is no evidence at all, and the prospective convert can make the same claim about his or her own religion. The religionist who advocates faith is, therefore, in a rather interesting position-he or she must also advocate rejecting faith. The reason for this is clear from the above remarks-one must reject all conflicting faiths if one is to embrace a particular faith. This may be obscured by the fact that people are often inconsistent (and consequently they are necessarily wrong no matter what the truth might be), but it does not alter the fact that, for example, it is impossible to fully embrace both Catholicism and Buddhism, or even Catholicism and Lutheranism. Anyone who is acquainted with the doctrines of each of these religions will be able to come up with examples of how the doctrine of each conflicts with that of the others. And, indeed, all different religions have conflicting doctrines, for, after all, if their doctrines were all the same, then they would not be different religions.

burger-book
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 03:05 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;132929 wrote:
How can you possibly hold doubt about something in which you seem to have never experienced? I have never experienced Haley's comet, but I don't doubt it's existence, or even suggest that people who have experienced the Comet merely misinterpreted it as giving them some sort of truth to it.

Religion, as you are talking about it, doesn't seem to be religion as jeeprs has experienced. His experience of religion is obviously something that you haven't experienced, therefore, your argument against it has no ground. You can speculate all you wish, but those who have experienced religious truth all use the same words to describe it, which shows there is some level of transcendence involved with it.

The distinction to be drawn is between your idea of religious experience, and those that jeeprs mentions.

A person can doubt whether, for instance, Joan of Arc had religious experience in the sense that the voices she heard were the voices of angels, but not doubt that she has the experiences she called "religious experiences" whether or not he has had anything similar to what Joan had. Just as a person can doubt whether someone really saw a mermaid, although not doubt that the person had a mermaid-like experience, which is to say, it seemed to him that he saw a mermaid. You know that from the fact that it seems to someone that he saw a mermaid, it does not follow that he actually saw a mermaid. And, in the same way, from the fact that it seemed to Joan that she was hearing the voices of angels, it does not follow that she was actually hearing the voices of angels. Therefore, why can I not doubt that Joan was hearing the voices of angels, although I do not doubt that it seemed to her that she was hearing the voices of angels?
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 03:09 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;135512 wrote:
Of course I agree that the existence of God is not a scientific question, but comparisons between Santa and God are specious, however.
I dunno, they're both generally reported as patriarchal paragons credited with the performance of impossible things and rewarding on the basis of good behaviour.

There's a difference of scale, perhaps.
Quote:
The God idea, right or wrong, is a principle foundation for the Western conceptions of ethics and society. The judeo-Christian ethos and the Ancient Greek conception of Deity are fundamental to many moral principles, the notion of the individual and the origin of many civil laws and other defining characteristics of Western civilization.

I don't think Greek ethics has much to do with their gods. In fact their myths quite regularly depict the gods as being vindictive and jealous towards each other as well as their worshippers. Most polytheists construct a pantheon where gods tend to human faults and follies. The greek afterlife was pretty miserable for evildoers and good people alike, and many of their greatest heroes were seen as such because they defied the gods to some degree or other.

Quote:
So the comparisons of the notion of deity with Santa, the tooth fairy, various fictional characters from television, and so forth, simply illustrate, to my mind, the complete lack of insight into the nature of the question of the meaning of 'deity' in the minds of those who make them.

There's no difference really between someone who has a dream in which the monkey from the front of a cocopops box orders them to travel to Scotland and spread the good word of Kellogs and the mystical experiences reported by any believer.

It's every bit as tangible - it's just more "eccentric". If someone wants the monkey from the cocopops box to act as metaphore for what's ineffable to him or her - how is that different to a deity?
jeeprs

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 07:03 pm
@jeeprs,
Thanks Dave. Very illuminating.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 07:28 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;135547 wrote:
I dunno, they're both generally reported as patriarchal paragons credited with the performance of impossible things and rewarding on the basis of good behaviour.

There's a difference of scale, perhaps.
I don't think Greek ethics has much to do with their gods. In fact their myths quite regularly depict the gods as being vindictive and jealous towards each other as well as their worshippers. Most polytheists construct a pantheon where gods tend to human faults and follies. The greek afterlife was pretty miserable for evildoers and good people alike, and many of their greatest heroes were seen as such because they defied the gods to some degree or other.

There's no difference really between someone who has a dream in which the monkey from the front of a cocopops box orders them to travel to Scotland and spread the good word of Kellogs and the mystical experiences reported by any believer.

It's every bit as tangible - it's just more "eccentric". If someone wants the monkey from the cocopops box to act as metaphore for what's ineffable to him or her - how is that different to a deity?

And what is the difference between my having the hallucination of an oasis, which turns out to be a mirage, and my actually seeing an oasis, just in so far as the experiences go? How do I tell which is the the mirage, and which is the veridical experience? If I mistake the one for the other, doesn't that argue that I cannot tell the difference?
prothero

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 10:19 pm
@jeeprs,
Everyone believes in more than they can "know" or "prove".
Some of these beliefs including many theist beliefs are pretty absurd and in conflict with experience and reason.
I think, however, the most fundamental and simplest of theistic thought, that there is some kind of rational intelligence behind nature and the universe is neither absurd nor in conflict with science.
It is only strong antireligous sentiment that makes people deny this.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 10:30 pm
@jeeprs,
Perhaps we are dealing with coherence versus consensus. What a person means by God is absolutely dependent on their entire system of concepts. It seems to me that a philosopher like Hegel means something so radically different by the notion of God than some serf from the middle ages.....that it's an undecidable term. What if Faith & Logic are both just the perception of coherence, however apparently ridiculous to another human (i.e. concept system.).

Can the objective be grounded by anything other than social practice, including language? What is the difference twixt faith and reason, if not feeling (including physical pain but also "mystical" enjoyment, and consensus, including the social practices applied to those who will not consent?
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 10:35 pm
@jeeprs,
what is kind of depressing at times is the reluctance of people to really take on an alternative perspective, or consider things in a new way. That in itself speaks of a certain spiritual condition, in my view.

Another thing which I think I said in the OP (or should have) is that the very idea of 'belief' that we have in the modern world, and against which the anti-spirituals react so strongly, is itself a particular historical manifestation. Inconceivable as it may sound, it is actually be possible to be quite religious without believing anything whatever. The way in which religious sensibility has been converted into a kind of 'mental model' is really very strange. But you have to be able to get outside of it, to know how strange it is - and it takes some doing. It takes real effort to be able to critique the worldview one has been acculturated into, because its perspective usually provide the spectacles through which everything else is seen.
Reconstructo

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 10:41 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;135756 wrote:
It takes real effort to be able to critique the worldview one has been acculturated into, because its perspective usually provide the spectacles through which everything else is seen.

How lucky we are to have books! One can dwell with antithetical spirits.... for sentences are symbiotic parasites..freeze-dried RNA...(?)

---------- Post added 03-03-2010 at 11:44 PM ----------

Is man a scrap-book that floats on sensation and emotion? Is Being the Flesh that sentences use to reproduce, and we are those sentences?
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:01 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;135700 wrote:
And what is the difference between my having the hallucination of an oasis, which turns out to be a mirage, and my actually seeing an oasis, just in so far as the experiences go?
No difference at this point.
Quote:
How do I tell which is the the mirage, and which is the veridical experience?
Well, hence my use of tangible. If, on investigation, one of these experiences doesn't vanish on nearing it, and contains liquid with which to quench your thirst then it's of more tangible benefit.

Are their tangible benefits to beliefs in deities - I think there probably are - solace, community, easy answers to the big questions, an example to look up to, that sort of thing.

However - if you replaced that concept of deity with a cartoon monkey that you were convinced meant exactly the same thing what difference would it make?

Aside from possible ostracism from community I don't think it would make any difference.
jeeprs

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:30 am
@jeeprs,
So then, is there a possibility of 'veridical religious experience'? That is, an experience of a religious nature, that actually corresponds with a reality, as distinct from either wishing for Santa, or clinging to dogma, or otherwise being delusional?

Or is that beyond the pale?
Reconstructo

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 05:32 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;135848 wrote:
So then, is there a possibility of 'veridical religious experience'? That is, an experience of a religious nature, that actually corresponds with a reality, as distinct from either wishing for Santa, or clinging to dogma, or otherwise being delusional?

Or is that beyond the pale?

The TLP is Hegel made plain. All distinctions are logically unfounded, as logic (including number) is only tautology and negation. He actually proves this, in my opinion, but who can believe their eyes? For he demolishes the self and causality as well, and all in order, one might think, to reveal an unnamable "god" that cannot be expressed with logic, for logic is nakedly incapable of doing so, once one reduces it to its core.

I never understood w/ he was doing until Hegel clicked. The TLP is basically Hegel reduced to his logic, and conclusions are drawn from there.

It's only veridical, however, to the degree that it shows logical verity is utterly useless in itself. No determinate proposition is provable or disprovable in purely logical terms. Thus a sort of monism, but a monism that knows it cannot adequately name itself, that its name is it outside of it.....that this outside is another picture within...(-monism, or nonism.)
0 Replies