This matter of religious belief

jeeprs

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 05:05 am
I want to sketch a few ideas here on the question of belief, faith and knowledge.

Now generally religion has a bad rap in the Western world, and I understand why. Wars, schisms, persecutions, and institutional corruption rife, etc. No argument from me.

Nevertheless I am someone who has had spiritual and religious experiences, so I don't share the view that all religion is simply delusion. It has become something important to me and it is really not going away anytime soon. It is part of human life.

Now I think there is a really important point that has been lost in the religions of the West, and there is a reason why it was lost.

This idea of 'believe and be saved' and 'religion as blind faith' is really fundamental to Christianity. I don't want to ridicule or criticize this idea as it is important to Christians and I have no desire to antagonize them. But it has only ever been a specific aspect of religion, which for various historical factors has been made the predominant factor in Christianity in particular.

Have you ever reflected that Jesus Christ seemed to give a lot of advice for someone in whom all you ever really needed to do was 'believe'? He was always recommending attitudes, courses of action, urging people to consider this, think about that, follow me, give away your possessions, and so on and so forth. 'Consider the lilies of the field'. 'Go woman and sin no more'. And many other sermons and parables.

But this very quickly became, after Paul, just BELIEVE. It is all you can do, and furthermore, anything you TRY and do of your own will, will only result in your own damnation.

Now it is a fact that in the early days of Christendom, there were many competing sects and schools in Christianity with many different doctrines and attitudes. Among them were the gnostics. The gnostics were differentiated from the pistics (the ones with the sign of the fish). Gnostics were more interested in understanding Jesus than just 'believing' in Him. The pistics were 'the faithful'.

Now I am not writing to stick up for the gnostics, or to say that they were right and the others were wrong. As it happens, the others won the day, and the gnostics were mainly suppressed. (In fact, the Gnostic bishop Valentinus came within a whisker of being elected Pope, but missed out.) All this has had enormous consequences in Western history.

Fast forward to Martin Luther. He invested absolutely everything in faith. All man could do was read the Bible, and believe it. That was it. Don't do this, and you burn in hell. Do anything else, and you burn in hell. The evangelicals still mainly believe this. The hard core will cheerily tell you that everyone of other faiths are destined for hell, along with many others, for reasons that you and I will never understand.

So religious dogma has triggered a tremendous backlash in Western civilization. I notice many people are really affected by it. Mention anything slightly religious, and it triggers a very hostile reaction. And I think we are all paying the price for the institutionalized neuroticism of Western Christianity and the many dreadful things that have been done in its name.

I want to say to all the people traumatized by Christianity, that this is not necessarily what religion means. Blind faith might actually be OK for some - those, for whom simple belief and piety is good and proper. But I don't think this was EVER the whole of religious expression, as it has come to be in the West. There is a variety of religious experience and expression, not to mention the various spiritual aspects of Western philosophy, which comprises a spectrum of outlooks and attitudes. There are many ways of understanding and many ways of experiencing. There are many different types of people with different aptitudes, outlooks, learning styles, background, and so on. And they need different kinds of teachings.

Now as I have mentioned, I have had religious or spiritual experiences of my own. A hundred years ago, I probably would have been Anglican. As it happens, I practice Buddhist meditation. I have spent a lot of time studying and reading religion and spirituality. And I am finally learning how to be religious, in my own way. It has been a great thing to learn, for all the reasons that religious people say - a sense of inner peace and a better disposition. Too many people, from too many cultures, have testified to this, to simply write it off as delusional. There really is spiritual awareness, and even though it is quite simple, it must be sought out. I had to ask the question and look for an answer. No doubt it just opens up for some people, but I had to look for it.

Now I learned something about how to be religious from India. They know how to go about it there. They are much better at it than many Westerners. It is not even really that Indian philosophy and religion is much better than Western - in some ways it is not. It is just that it is very much still part of life, and also that India is naturally pluralistic, and therefore tolerant of diversity. There is this enormous sense of threat and menace that is the undercurrent of Western religion, this shadow cast by the past and the fear of damnation. India is a riot of doctrines, beliefs and practices ranging from the sublime to the...well, very colorful. Even though there are many with secular and atheist outlooks in India too, this natural spirituality is still very much a part of life, and it has helped me a lot.

So now I have learned to look at the whole question again with new eyes. I think that is what is needed. I sincerely believe that those who are most militantly opposed to religion of any kind are nursing an injury. (Those who are just completely indifferent to the whole thing are something else again.) But there is no use railing at the sky. It achieves nothing.

Anyway, that is what I wanted to say about it. I suppose it is controversial from a number of perspectives but it is how I feel about it. I hope someone finds it helpful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,562 • Replies: 60
No top replies

William

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 06:36 am
@jeeprs,
Thanks Jeepers, good post. As far a religion goes it will be a much better world when we can get beyond it. I understood that long ago. Being free and having no fear is what religion is all about in the hearts of man. Not necessarily from what is espoused from the pulpit. Those. or some, are the ones you need to look out for in that their livelihood depends on the fears of man or their livelihood is at stake. If met many ex-preachers who finally saw the light. Some have a tendency to "prey on the weak" just like so many others do who don't believe. It's not in their best interest.

There are many good people who don't carry their religious beliefs on their shoulder but want to be free and unafraid to live life is such a way in which they do not have to defend their lives to live. We somehow know that we are divine beings or a part of all that is; we just don't know how to define it and that is why religion! It's an effort to understand our connection. If we could only do that.

Here is one problem. You mentioned "saved". When one, for whatever reason, thinks that he is saved and another is not, condescension and false pity ensue; one or the other. We don't know enough about the other to cast stones at anyone or feel sorry for. To live and let live has merit here providing those lives don't cause harm to another in their so "living".

Now when I offered "cause harm", that's a toughy. What is that in all that it means? We don't know exactly and why the golden rule is a bit sticky. There are many who "do unto others" to beat them to the punch, ha; before they are done unto, ha! It's a patronization that has ulterior intentions to protect self. It is a false, competitive nature we shouldn't need. To offend/defend-offense/defense; and that defines the reality we have created. As long as we are offending and defending no one can be free or unafraid; and religion flourishes and the bloodshed continues to protect those man-made structures that protect us. Religion is one of those structures. Not so much physical protection, one of the soul. The soul, that's who we are in all it's entirety. The body is just the newest creation we boogie around in to give us a sense of being. It's a pretty good development, ha! We like it; perhaps a bit too much, ha!

In the East, religion is more sublime and why suffering is a given. Let nature take it's course where patience is a virtue and so on. Much can be learned by being patient. The west has no idea of what that means, ha!

Let's face it we just got here. It is said the universe is between 13 and 14 billion years old and we have been around arguably 5000 years. We have got a ways to go yet before we understand all that god is and that is what eternity means.

You are right, btw. religion is a part of a learning process. It had to be because we are divine and part of this universe; not a part from it. That is a big sticky to understand, ha! We will never "know it all"! Once we slow down and stop "doing that", efforting to know all that we can know, and begin cooperating, communicating, and trusting each other in such away in which we are not afraid will we begin to know what living is all about.Smile

William
0 Replies

melonkali

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 08:09 am
@jeeprs,
I appreciate these first two posts -- very insightful.

One little pedantic correction -- per letters to/from some of the very earliest church fathers, 1st to mid-3rd centuries AD, the problem they had with some other Christian sects, including some early gnostics, was not so much theological as the teaching of a "sit around talking" kind of Christianity vs. the mainstream early church's practice of a Christianity of "work, work, work", faith in Christ expressed by a life devoted to charitable works.

Of course, after that period, things changed for the worse, I agree...

rebecca
Amperage

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 08:16 am
@melonkali,
I think there is this notion that someone MUST obtain the "right" answer to such questions. And that there can be ONLY one answer. Christians certainly think they have it as do the Muslims, the Jews, the Zulu tribe of Africa, etc. etc. etc.

Consider the idea of solving quadratic equations. There are various methods(graphing, substitution, completing the squares, etc.) used to solve the same problem and people tend to hold to the method they were taught or feel most comfortable with. One may prefer graphing and another substitution. Neither is more right than the other it's more a matter of how you were brought up.

IMO God is far too big to be locked to one "method". Every nation, neigh, every individual brings their own subjective-ness to the table. No one lives in my head but me, and no one lives in your head but you. We all go through this life experiencing all this "stuff" and yet the reality is no one can be me but me and no one can be you but you. As much as we feel connected to others we are eternally isolated within the confines of who we are and what has made us as such. It's utterly absurd IMO to expect that each individual would need God in the exact same way.

God, IMO, is more akin to an infinite corridor in a finite direction. God is different thing to different people, yet He is the same. I'm actually glad to see there is not a unified theory of God. Why should anyone expect God to approach all exactly the same?

When I read posts from the many on this forum who believe in some form of spirituality, I have rarely seen anything that I didn't think sounded like the God I know. different people focus on different factors/truths. Most sound like God to me. I love reading about these other religions/views because for me it helps me learn something about God that I didn't previously consider, or at least see things from a perspective about God that I didn't consider.

The bottom line is I fully expect God to be different to different people. These difference do not mean God isn't there it just means He reaches people differently. Different people discover different truths about God. God meets different needs. etc. etc.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 08:26 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;132776 wrote:
I want to sketch a few ideas here on the question of belief, faith and knowledge.

Now generally religion has a bad rap in the Western world, and I understand why. Wars, schisms, persecutions, and institutional corruption rife, etc. No argument from me.

Nevertheless I am someone who has had spiritual and religious experiences, so I don't share the view that all religion is simply delusion. It has become something important to me and it is really not going away anytime soon. It is part of human life.

Now I think there is a really important point that has been lost in the religions of the West, and there is a reason why it was lost.

This idea of 'believe and be saved' and 'religion as blind faith' is really fundamental to Christianity. I don't want to ridicule or criticize this idea as it is important to Christians and I have no desire to antagonize them. But it has only ever been a specific aspect of religion, which for various historical factors has been made the predominant factor in Christianity in particular.

Have you ever reflected that Jesus Christ seemed to give a lot of advice for someone in whom all you ever really needed to do was 'believe'? He was always recommending attitudes, courses of action, urging people to consider this, think about that, follow me, give away your possessions, and so on and so forth. 'Consider the lilies of the field'. 'Go woman and sin no more'. And many other sermons and parables.

But this very quickly became, after Paul, just BELIEVE. It is all you can do, and furthermore, anything you TRY and do of your own will, will only result in your own damnation.

Now it is a fact that in the early days of Christendom, there were many competing sects and schools in Christianity with many different doctrines and attitudes. Among them were the gnostics. The gnostics were differentiated from the pistics (the ones with the sign of the fish). Gnostics were more interested in understanding Jesus than just 'believing' in Him. The pistics were 'the faithful'.

Now I am not writing to stick up for the gnostics, or to say that they were right and the others were wrong. As it happens, the others won the day, and the gnostics were mainly suppressed. (In fact, the Gnostic bishop Valentinus came within a whisker of being elected Pope, but missed out.) All this has had enormous consequences in Western history.

Fast forward to Martin Luther. He invested absolutely everything in faith. All man could do was read the Bible, and believe it. That was it. Don't do this, and you burn in hell. Do anything else, and you burn in hell. The evangelicals still mainly believe this. The hard core will cheerily tell you that everyone of other faiths are destined for hell, along with many others, for reasons that you and I will never understand.

So religious dogma has triggered a tremendous backlash in Western civilization. I notice many people are really affected by it. Mention anything slightly religious, and it triggers a very hostile reaction. And I think we are all paying the price for the institutionalized neuroticism of Western Christianity and the many dreadful things that have been done in its name.

I want to say to all the people traumatized by Christianity, that this is not necessarily what religion means. Blind faith might actually be OK for some - those, for whom simple belief and piety is good and proper. But I don't think this was EVER the whole of religious expression, as it has come to be in the West. There is a variety of religious experience and expression, not to mention the various spiritual aspects of Western philosophy, which comprises a spectrum of outlooks and attitudes. There are many ways of understanding and many ways of experiencing. There are many different types of people with different aptitudes, outlooks, learning styles, background, and so on. And they need different kinds of teachings.

Now as I have mentioned, I have had religious or spiritual experiences of my own. A hundred years ago, I probably would have been Anglican. As it happens, I practice Buddhist meditation. I have spent a lot of time studying and reading religion and spirituality. And I am finally learning how to be religious, in my own way. It has been a great thing to learn, for all the reasons that religious people say - a sense of inner peace and a better disposition. Too many people, from too many cultures, have testified to this, to simply write it off as delusional. There really is spiritual awareness, and even though it is quite simple, it must be sought out. I had to ask the question and look for an answer. No doubt it just opens up for some people, but I had to look for it.

Now I learned something about how to be religious from India. They know how to go about it there. They are much better at it than many Westerners. It is not even really that Indian philosophy and religion is much better than Western - in some ways it is not. It is just that it is very much still part of life, and also that India is naturally pluralistic, and therefore tolerant of diversity. There is this enormous sense of threat and menace that is the undercurrent of Western religion, this shadow cast by the past and the fear of damnation. India is a riot of doctrines, beliefs and practices ranging from the sublime to the...well, very colorful. Even though there are many with secular and atheist outlooks in India too, this natural spirituality is still very much a part of life, and it has helped me a lot.

So now I have learned to look at the whole question again with new eyes. I think that is what is needed. I sincerely believe that those who are most militantly opposed to religion of any kind are nursing an injury. (Those who are just completely indifferent to the whole thing are something else again.) But there is no use railing at the sky. It achieves nothing.

Anyway, that is what I wanted to say about it. I suppose it is controversial from a number of perspectives but it is how I feel about it. I hope someone finds it helpful.

Nevertheless I am someone who has had spiritual and religious experiences, so I don't share the view that all religion is simply delusion.

I don't doubt for a moment that you have had religious experiences in the sense that you interpreted them as showing something about the truth of religion. But I do doubt that you have had religious experiences in the sense that they did show anything about the truth of religion. That distinction has to be carefully drawn.

Again: In the sense that in India it may be that religion is not placed in doubt as it is in the West, religion is better in India.
But, not in the sense that religion as practiced in India somehow confirms the truth of religion, since there are the very same doubts wherever religion is practiced, even if they are not raised in some places.
Night Ripper

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 09:38 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;132776 wrote:
I sincerely believe that those who are most militantly opposed to religion of any kind are nursing an injury.

This is a very common belief. Instead of accepting the possibility that we have considered all that religion has to offer and found it woefully inadequate, it's easier for the religious to blame the disbeliever for being closed minded, going through a rebellious phase or just being bitter about life.

That's not the case however. Religion is like a drug. It can make you feel better for a little while but ultimately doesn't last and doesn't add anything to your life that you couldn't get elsewhere. Anything you get with religion, you can get without religion.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 09:47 am
@jeeprs,
Religious comtemplatives and mystics have long understood that the relationship between faith and doubt is not one of polar opposites but the two are intimately related. God can not be rationally proven or scientifically demonstrated neither can the divine be excluded by science or by reason. Doubt is intrinsic to faith. Deeply religious people are generally agnostics who find faith a matter of "ultimate concern". The concept of god keeps appearing in the forum in all kinds of threads, the concept of god keeps appearing in history and society, the concept of god is intrinsic to human self awareness and existential angst. Our notions of the divine and divine action may change but I doubt the notion that the universe is rationally ordered and in some sense purposeful ever will vanish.
Night Ripper

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 09:52 am
@prothero,
prothero;132845 wrote:
neither can the divine be excluded by science or by reason

Science can't exclude the existence of anything. That doesn't really give a special place for the divine. We also can't exclude the existence of Santa Claus, Keebler Elves, Captain Crunch or the Super Mario Brothers.
Zetherin

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 09:56 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;132852 wrote:
Science can't exclude the existence of anything. That doesn't really give a special place for the divine. We also can't exclude the existence of Santa Claus, Keebler Elves, Captain Crunch or the Super Mario Brothers.

There's no evidence of any of those things existing, and so the burden of proof lies on those people claiming that any of those things exist. It most certainly isn't science's responsibility to disprove every silly character someone conjures up.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 09:58 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;132852 wrote:

We can't? Why not? Unless science can exclude the existence of Santa, it ought to fund an expedition to the North Pole to find out whether or not Santa exists. (And take a look around for the helpers while about it, too).
Night Ripper

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 10:07 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;132856 wrote:
There's no evidence of any of those things existing, and so the burden of proof lies on those people claiming that any of those things exist. It most certainly isn't science's responsibility to disprove every silly character someone conjures up.

That was my point, thanks.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 10:19 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;132861 wrote:
That was my point, thanks.

It was? And I thought you said that science cannot exclude the existence of Santa Claus.
Night Ripper

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 10:26 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;132865 wrote:
It was? And I thought you said that science cannot exclude the existence of Santa Claus.

What's your point?
Zetherin

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 10:38 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;132867 wrote:
What's your point?

I think he means that science can exclude all of those characters as not having existed, since there is no evidence of them having existed.

You seem to have meant that science cannot disprove the existence of Santa any more than science can disprove the existence of the divine. The thing is, we can know that many of these purported characters do not exist.

I can hold a justified belief unicorns do not exist based on evolutionary and other scientific reasons, lack of evidence, etc.. And if it is true that unicorns do not exist, then I do know that unicorns do not exist.
Night Ripper

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 10:43 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;132869 wrote:
I think he means that science can exclude all of those characters as not having existed, since there is no evidence of them having existed.

You seem to have meant that science cannot disprove the existence of Santa any more than science can disprove the existence of the divine. The thing is, we can know that many of these purported characters do not exist.

I can hold a justified belief unicorns do not exist based on evolutionary and other scientific reasons, lack of evidence, etc.. And if it is true that unicorns do not exist, then I do know that unicorns do not exist.

Not having evidence of something doesn't exclude its existence. There's no evidence of intelligent life beyond our planet but that certainly doesn't exclude it. Science can tell us that somethings probably don't exist but science can't exclude anything. Science can say that there is no evidence that unicorns exist but that's not the same as saying unicorns don't exist.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 10:50 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;132867 wrote:
What's your point?

My point is that you, on one hand, are saying that science cannot exclude the existence of Santa, but you agree that we should not bother mount an expedition in search of Santa. If you think the first, then why do you think the second?
Zetherin

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 10:50 am
@jeeprs,
Night Ripper wrote:

Not having evidence of something doesn't exclude its existence

You're right, that would be committing the argument from ignorance. To believe something is false, simply because it has not been proven true.

But science deals with evidence, and so science can exclude those things which have no evidence. Science has nothing to work with otherwise! See what I mean?
Night Ripper

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 10:55 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;132873 wrote:
My point is that you, on one hand, are saying that science cannot exclude the existence of Santa, but you agree that we should not bother mount an expedition in search of Santa. If you think the first, then why do you think the second?

Because I would also need to start a search for the Cookie Monster, Ronald McDonald and Little Bo Peep as well. I prioritize based on probabilities, not certainties.

Let's reconnect this tangent back to the discussion at hand. The old canard of "science can't prove God doesn't exist" was used as a plea for open-mindedness. I pointed out that there was nothing special about God in that respect as compared to, say, Count Chocula. If you use that excuse to be open-minded about God but nothing else, that's inconsistent.

That was my point but your current reply is basically asking me the same thing so I think it was missed.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 10:56 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;132874 wrote:
You're right, that would be committing the argument from ignorance. To believe something is false, simply because it has not been proven true.

But science deals with evidence, and so science can exclude those things which have no evidence. Science has nothing to work with otherwise! See what I mean?

Yes, I agree, And a further point is that it is one thing to know with absolute certainty that something does not exist. And, it is another thing just to know that something does not exist. If we demanded certain knowledge, we would know very little, if anything at all. But what is the argument for demanding certainty rather than knowledge? I know of no good one. But I do know a lot of bad ones.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 11:00 am
@jeeprs,
kennethamy wrote:

But what is the argument for demanding certainty rather than knowledge? I know of no good one.

That is often bypassed by simply mistaking that certainty is knowledge.

Night Ripper wrote:

Let's reconnect this tangent back to the discussion at hand. The old canard of "science can't prove God doesn't exist" was used as a plea for open-mindedness. I pointed out that there was nothing special about God in that respect as compared to, say, Count Chocula. If you use that excuse to be open-minded about God but nothing else, that's inconsistent.

Right, and I agree. The trouble came when you said that science can't exclude those things we have no evidence for. But it is not a matter of science, until there is something which can be evaluated. Isn't that true? We would not say that Little Bo Peep's existence is a matter of science, would we? Science would have nothing to evaluate in relations to Little Bo Peep's existence.