Intelligent Design

Caroline

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 01:17 am
@Brandon Boyd,
Brandon_Boyd wrote:
Hi.

My conclusion --- There isn't a higher power, or anybody watching over us. And if there is, he/she/they must be completely indifferent to the technological advancements as well as actions of human kind.

What do you mean indifferent? What if this higher power cannot intervene in humans actions?
Brandon Boyd

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 07:43 am
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:
What do you mean indifferent? What if this higher power cannot intervene in humans actions?

Sorry, let me re-phrase the statement. What I mean is that why doesn't he say or show something to let us know he is there, at least?

Because if "God" really did create the universe and humankind and everything, then he can surely alter the environment and do "miracles", but for some odd reason, none of that ever happens...

Yeah, sure people's lives get saved and good things happen to people, but that can't be explained, it just happens. These happy events are heavily outweighed by the tragedy and suffering in the world.

I cannot accept the idea of god as long as the world is the way it is.
Caroline

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 09:14 am
@Brandon Boyd,
Brandon_Boyd wrote:
Sorry, let me re-phrase the statement. What I mean is that why doesn't he say or show something to let us know he is there, at least?

Because if "God" really did create the universe and humankind and everything, then he can surely alter the environment and do "miracles", but for some odd reason, none of that ever happens...

Yeah, sure people's lives get saved and good things happen to people, but that can't be explained, it just happens. These happy events are heavily outweighed by the tragedy and suffering in the world.

I cannot accept the idea of god as long as the world is the way it is.

I think my perception of god is different to some peoples, I see god in things like nature, people etc, but I dont see god as a physical force of some sort that can actually intervene and make us aware of it's
existance.
And what do you mean alter the enviroment? Do you mean what we are doing to the enviroment,ie, pollution, because isnt that up to man to stop what he is doing to the enviroment? And what do you mean the way the world is today, again isnt that mans doing and isnt that down to us to stop it?
Thanks
Brandon Boyd

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 11:45 am
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:
I think my perception of god is different to some peoples, I see god in things like nature, people etc, but I dont see god as a physical force of some sort that can actually intervene and make us aware of it's
existance.
And what do you mean alter the enviroment? Do you mean what we are doing to the enviroment,ie, pollution, because isnt that up to man to stop what he is doing to the enviroment? And what do you mean the way the world is today, again isnt that mans doing and isnt that down to us to stop it?
Thanks

Yes, I agree.

Well, what I mean by alter the environment is just change anything in general. And also, what I meant by "I cannot accept the idea of god as long as the world is the way it is," is that as long as their is pain and suffering from both human-made as well as natural causes, there won't be any evidence (for me) to prove God's existence. Not necessarily how humans behave, but how there is such chaos, not only on planet Earth, but throughout the cosmos there is such intricately uniform yet chaotic systems that make me wonder, "How could that have been purposefully created?"

Oh, and by the way, thank you Caroline. This is my second day on this forum and I'm already engaging in healthy debate, when in real life it is a rare occasion for me to debate something with an intelligent human being. Haha. Laughing
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 02:31 am
@thysin,
Could being or the supposed ID of infinite intelligence, create a universe where "nothing is possible and everything is impossible", now that would take real omniscience would it not?
Brandon Boyd

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 05:31 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
Could being or the supposed ID of infinite intelligence, create a universe where "nothing is possible and everything is impossible", now that would take real omniscience would it not?

You have a good point.

I believe everything is possible, it's just certain events can be highly likely or unlikely, and the idea of there being a physical creator of us is of the latter.

However, I believe in a spiritual realm, therefore there might be some sort of higher, more intelligent, non-physical beings.

and note I'm not ruling out the possibility of god. Not sure if that was even relevant to your response, haha. Sorry about all that.
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 08:21 am
@Brandon Boyd,
Brandon_Boyd;59016 wrote:
You have a good point.

I believe everything is possible, it's just certain events can be highly likely or unlikely, and the idea of there being a physical creator of us is of the latter.

However, I believe in a spiritual realm, therefore there might be some sort of higher, more intelligent, non-physical beings.

and note I'm not ruling out the possibility of god. Not sure if that was even relevant to your response, haha. Sorry about all that.

Your reponse is very relevant and you should not appologise for your beliefs or c0ompromise what you believe but bodly state it :bigsmile:

Brandon if you can accept the possibility of beings much higher evolved than we humans, why not project that thought to the maximum and accept that there is God, the universe was designed with meaning and purpose.

And this brief infinitesimal flash we call earthly life in the unimaginable vastness of eternity, if that is all there is then evolution God call it what you like has played a very cruel joke on us tiny finite beings

I always remember a song from my youth; “Every time I hear new born baby cry then I believe.

I go beyond believing there are other dimensions realms than this earth, both in the material realms and spiritual realms of existence.

I know there are these places of existence, because I have gone to some of them and came back with the story

The universe/ existence is not just stranger than we think it is stranger than we can think
0 Replies

Sympathypains

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 08:48 am
@Brandon Boyd,
Brandon_Boyd wrote:
Yes, I agree.

Well, what I mean by alter the environment is just change anything in general. And also, what I meant by "I cannot accept the idea of god as long as the world is the way it is," is that as long as their is pain and suffering from both human-made as well as natural causes, there won't be any evidence (for me) to prove God's existence. Not necessarily how humans behave, but how there is such chaos, not only on planet Earth, but throughout the cosmos there is such intricately uniform yet chaotic systems that make me wonder, "How could that have been purposefully created?"
. Laughing

Well the traditional apologetic theory for this is as follows.

God wanted to make something other than itself. For what reason? Perhaps it was to appreciate said God. Perhaps it was to know said God.

Lets say God dwelt in perfection or was perfect (sans chaos, suffering, only pleasure and perfect knowledge). If said God introduced new beings into such an environment or only introduced new beings to itself, they would have no frame of reference to evaluate it. Such beings would have no abilities of any kind of understanding.

Or lets say God was white and said created beings were introduced to a realm where all was white. Without blackness or color, there would be nothing to compare it to.

So perhaps said God made a realm with characteristics other than that which it was comprised of (chaos, suffering etc.). This would allow the created beings to not only be able to appreciate God, but to gain in understanding and become more like God to the point of being able to have a relationship with God.
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 09:09 am
@Sympathypains,
Sympathypains;59050 wrote:

God wanted to make something other than itself. For what reason? Perhaps it was to appreciate said God. Perhaps it was to know said God.

Lets say God dwelt in perfection or was perfect (sans chaos, suffering, only pleasure and perfect knowledge). If said God introduced new beings into such an environment or only introduced new beings to itself, they would have no frame of reference to evaluate it. Such beings would have no abilities of any kind of understanding.

Or lets say God was white and said created beings were introduced to a realm where all was white. Without blackness or color, there would be nothing to compare it to.

So perhaps said God made a realm with characteristics other than that which it was comprised of (chaos, suffering etc.). This would allow the created beings to not only be able to appreciate God, but to gain in understanding and become more like God to the point of being able to have a relationship with God.

Who says God equates to everything "God is light and in him is no darkness whatsoever"

So there is another realm where God does not exist. “DARKNESS”

And God moved upon the face of the deep and saw only darkness and God said “Let there be light.

“Thus began the battle of light and dark, good and evil, death and life.

There was something dwelling in the primordial abysmal dark and it is EVIL

Peace and light
xris

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 12:59 pm
@Alan McDougall,
I dont think its possible to describe imagine or even consider a creator. I dont deny this possibility but i have no idea of his purpose or his reasoning.We can speculate for ever and a day but lets be honest with ourselves it is beyond human understanding.
I look for foot prints in the sand of creation, i think my man Friday exists by the evidence, but i have no idea what he looks like.
Sound4People

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 01:38 pm
@Alan McDougall,
I absolutely believe in intelligent design. Or mostly. I believe that Gravity (a higher power) had alot to do with our design, caused by evolution by the means of natural selection. I think had gravity not been there to do what it had done, we would not be having this conversation.
xris

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 01:44 pm
@Sound4People,
Sound4People wrote:
I absolutely believe in intelligent design. Or mostly. I believe that Gravity (a higher power) had alot to do with our design, caused by evolution by the means of natural selection. I think had gravity not been there to do what it had done, we would not be having this conversation.
Is this sarcasm or am i not understanding your opinion?

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Sound4People wrote:
Is this sarcasm or am i missing something..
Brandon Boyd

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 03:49 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Sympathypains wrote:

Well, thank you for understanding. And Yes, you have a very strong point there, I have to admit. The fact of the matter is, it's impossible to disprove God. That's a fact. But it is quite possible to prove "his" existence, but there must be solid evidence. Until then, the relatively small power of the human mind, (which I might add is immensely powerful) cannot even begin to comprehend the mystery and wonder of the universe and everything in it.

Alan McDougall wrote:
Who says God equates to everything "God is light and in him is no darkness whatsoever"

So there is another realm where God does not exist. "DARKNESS"

And God moved upon the face of the deep and saw only darkness and God said "Let there be light.

"Thus began the battle of light and dark, good and evil, death and life.

There was something dwelling in the primordial abysmal dark and it is EVIL

Peace and light

You also have a good point. But in my eyes, the Bible isn't supposed to be taken literally. I've read it many a time, as I used to be a Christian myself. I began to realize that Jesus would always speak in riddle, rarely ever in a literal sense. Prophets, too, would always speak in metaphor, never to be taken literally. Therefore, through inductive reasoning, I concluded that maybe the Bible is a set of thoroughly devised metaphors for the creation of life and the universe. And you must note that no book stays 100% the same over nearly 2,000 years. You musn't forget the clash of the Church and the Gnostics, where the Gnostics claimed different versions of certain Gospels and events. And the Church has undoubtedly changed many things, such as scripts found heretic, contradicting, or unpleasing to the leaders of the Church.

Again, sorry for straying a bit off subject, but I like to go in-depth. Razz
Sound4People

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 06:24 pm
@xris,
Ah. I said gravity was a higher power and it was determining our evolution. No I can say with 100% undenyable creationist logic that wasn't sarcastic. Dude... of course its sarcasm. I was merely ridiculing IDers.
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 06:53 pm
@xris,
xris;59079 wrote:
I dont think its possible to describe imagine or even consider a creator. I dont deny this possibility but i have no idea of his purpose or his reasoning.We can speculate for ever and a day but lets be honest with ourselves it is beyond human understanding.
I look for foot prints in the sand of creation, i think my man Friday exists by the evidence, but i have no idea what he looks like.

Yes xris if there is a creator then it must be both eternal and infinite, so it is impossible to us tiny minute infinitesimal fleeting finite entities to ever comprehend this being in its entirety.

But even a cockroach becomes aware of us when we step on it, so maybe it is OK to believe this unimaginable mighty uncaused cause of all existence exists just like we do, if we exist why cant it?

It is early morning in SA I am awake at 3 o’clock in the morning and can not go to sleep

By the way xris, have you seen the mentalist Derren Brown on TV?. I am interested in your comments if you have seen him , he is really remarkable(sorry a bit off topic)

Peace
Aphoric

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 07:22 pm
@thysin,
I'm ridiculously late in this discussion, so I have to ask. Has anyone discussed the anthropic principle, Behe's irreducibly complex systems, the Cambrian explosion, the kalam argument - any of this stuff been brought up?
Brandon Boyd

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 07:45 pm
@Aphoric,
Aphoric wrote:
I'm ridiculously late in this discussion, so I have to ask. Has anyone discussed the anthropic principle, Behe's irreducibly complex systems, the Cambrian explosion, the kalam argument - any of this stuff been brought up?

Nope, you are the first. Razz

Let's hear more. I like to learn.
Sympathypains

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 08:58 pm
@Brandon Boyd,
Brandon_Boyd wrote:
Well, thank you for understanding. And Yes, you have a very strong point there, I have to admit. The fact of the matter is, it's impossible to disprove God. That's a fact. But it is quite possible to prove "his" existence, but there must be solid evidence. Until then, the relatively small power of the human mind, (which I might add is immensely powerful) cannot even begin to comprehend the mystery and wonder of the universe and everything in it.

Thanks.

I don't fully dismiss Epicurus however, and that's where I become somewhat of a Gnostic leaning Agnostic. The problem then comes with the question why. Why does one need to witness something other than something to have a frame of reference? Why is there no pleasure without pain?

It would imply that either God must play by a set of cosmic rules, which would mean there was something greater that created those rules, or that the rules are just a part of God, or that God didn't have to create suffering to create bliss, but simply chose to, which is for me a more precise starting point for Epicurus in order to put what he was getting at into a more accurate context.

A child that that grows up in extreme wealth, with a enormous plasma screen television in his/her room, every video game imaginable, a new Mercedes on his/her first year they're able to drive, and a thousand dollar a week allowance, for doing nothing, since the family had a house keeper, will not appreciate such things without either losing them or being forced to work for them.

The child then finds the parent is causing them suffering. Or any example of discipline for a child, a child will see it as the parent causing them suffering, but if the end result is to make them a better human, not spoiled, not lazy, or to simply appreciate and not take for granted the good stuff they have, then the ends justify the means, and Epicurius' statement seems not well thought through. God would therefor not be malevolent even in using suffering if the end result was bliss. "whence cometh evil" would be pretty explanatory.

Another interesting analogy are these mmorpg video games. You would think that getting what you want faster would be more satisfying, but these games make you play sometimes 12- 20 hours to go up one level, or kill thousands of monsters to get one drop. You would think that no one would want to play something so slow and tedious, but the irony is that it is more satisfying to get something that is hard to get and less for something that comes easy. When you finnaly do level up or get that drop you wanted, it's exilerating. If God just gave us heaven or paradise without having to work for it, maybe it wouldn't be that great. Maybe he/she/it already did and this is our second chance.

But being Omnipotent, still is a valid question logically for me for reasons I mentioned earlier, and this is where I get stuck, but the logic of suffering in the universe that we live in seems to work for me. Logically it doesn't seem to fit my criteria for a full dismissal of the possibility of a God.
0 Replies

Aphoric

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 11:02 pm
@thysin,
Well, there are many scientific foundations that are not proving, but strongly supporting the existence of God. Not necessarily the Judeo-Christian God, but still an omnipotent, personal creator. I'll start with the anthropic principle.

To me, it seems rational, that, if I can rationally establish the principle of intelligent design, then It's entirely rational that there is a personal God. Otherwise, there essentially would be no design, if God isn't personal, why would he care how creation turned out (as a matter of fact, you could establish creation as a sufficient argument for a personal creator, but I'm going to take it a step further, because I believe design reasoning is more convincing)?

Have you ever heard of the anthropic principle?

Basically, it's a principle that states that if any of the laws of physics that govern our universe were altered, even in an infinitessimally minute increment, life would not be possible.

Take the cosmological constant for example. Now, the cosmological constant is the energy density of empty space. Even nobel-winning avowed atheist Steven Weinberg has stated that the cosmological constant is remarkably well adjusted in our favor. Now, keep in mind that according to Einstein's equation for General Relativity, the cosmological constant could have any value, positive or negative. But lets assess these varying degrees which are all potential for the cosmological constant.

- If the CC were large and positive, it would act as a repulsive force that increases with distance, a force that would prevent matter from clumping together in the early universe. This is the process that was the first step in forming galaxies, stars, planets, even people.
- If large and negative, the cosmological constant would act as an attractive force increasing with distance, a force that would almost immediately reverse the expansion of the universe and cause it to recollapse. What the cosmological constant is in real life is unbelievably precise. It's impossible to really tell with modern science just how precise the CC is, but it's conservatively been estimated to be at least one part in a hundred million billion billion billion billion. that's a ten followed by 53 zeros. I think we can both agree that that is INCONCEIVABLY precise.

Now, just that alone would probably be enough to convince me to subscribe to the idea of Design. But there are loads of other examples. for instance, the difference in mass between neutrons an protons. Increase the mass of the neutron by about 1/700 and nuclear fusion in stars would cease to occur. There would be no energy source for life. And if the electromagnetic force were slightly stronger or weaker, life in the universe would be impossible. When you compound the probability of all of these laws of physics being what they are by mere chance, you get one part in ten billion multiplied by itself 123 times. That's more zeros than the number of elementary particles in the ENTIRE UNIVERSE.

Now, I ask you, as a free-thinking person. If I bet you a thousand dollars that I could flip a coin and have it land on heads 50 times in a row, and then preceded to do just that. Would you be more inclined to think it was mere chance, or that the game was rigged?

I'll give you another example. Let's say I were hiking in the mountains and came across rocks arranged in a pattern that spelled out, WELCOME TO THE MOUNTAINS MATTHEW BONVILLION. One hypothesis would be that the rocks just happened to be arranged in that configuration, maybe as a result of an earthquake or a rock slide. You can't totally rule that out. But an alternative hypothesis is that my brother, who was visiting the mountains before me, arranged the rocks that way. Now as a free-thinking rational person, which hypothesis would you be more inclined to accept? Such is the anthropic principle.

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Brandon_Boyd;58918 wrote:
Yes, I agree.

Oh, and by the way, thank you Caroline. This is my second day on this forum and I'm already engaging in healthy debate, when in real life it is a rare occasion for me to debate something with an intelligent human being. Haha. Laughing

whaaaaat? think about this now. Most mainstream religion teaches that our purpose as humans is not simply to prosper, i.e. not suffer, but to know God, and through that knowledge transform your will to follow God's leading to ultimate prosperity (on earth as well as in heaven). who is to say that anyone would suffer by man's hand if we all strove to do this?

As far as natural disaster goes. While it's easy to see the damage that these disasters can cause, you have to look at the big picture. Sure, volcanoes have wiped out entire cities, desertification leaves fertile lands barren, and hurricanes have claimed the lives and livelihood of millions, but did you know that if none of these existed, life would not be possible? If volcanoes didn't help regulate our atmosphere by spewing out essential carbon and nitrogen gasses from deep inside the earth's mantle, global warming would have boiled off our oceans years ago. If desertification didn't happen, the earths' humidity would become unsustainable to life. If wind currents (which also happen to cause hurricanes and typhoons) didn't carry solar radiation around the world, our ecosystem would be destroyed. All of these features, including glaciation, are known as the earth's albedo (basically, its thermostat) that regulate Earth's temperature.

Look at earthquakes and volcanoes again. If we didn't have plate tectonics (that cause earthquakes, mountains, and other geologic formations) the mineral deposits would not be able to gather and form land, and Earth would be a complete water world, unsustainable to life (contrary to popular belief among high school science teachers and the rest of the general population). If we didn't have these natural disasters (we still call them disasters... like we don't choose to live by a volcano, or build strong enough levies, or protect our schools from earthquakes like we don't have the technology) life would not be possible overall.

While it's sometimes difficult to comprehend, and certainly doesn't answer everything, I don't think it would be wise to reject the idea that God and evil/suffering can rationally coexist. At the very least, I wouldn't accept evil/suffering as a basis for active rejection of a personal creator.
Sound4People

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 12:23 am
@Aphoric,
I'm not going to go point by point and refute you. That is unnecessary. You are making an assumption that we are the only life that can occur. This is just simply speculation. There's no evidence behind it. If life isn't like us, then it can't occur. Most of those statistics are from creationist sources and end up being not true, but even if they were that doesn't imply any sort of design. We evolved in this universe, to fit this universe and then you claim that this universe was designed from us, when it reality we were made from it so it would logically follow that we couldn't exist out of it. And that's all your pointing out.

I always relate this to Ayn Rand's philosophy. In order to see the evidence for it, you must assume it is true. This is not how reason works. You must provide evidence for a point so I can see that it is true. Everything you suggest can mean many things outside of design. Only if you assume design is true can you come to the conclusion that they imply design.