Artificial brain 'ten years away'

xris

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 12:55 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;79361 wrote:
What should be headline material is crowded out for celebrity blather and whatnot, be serious

OH MAN I'VE BEEN CALLED OUT I'M SWEATING BULLETS

Actually no

But I think synthesizing an entire genome from scratch and putting it in a cell could be considered creation of life

Whatever criteria you have for creating life will almost inevitably be met in the future, so I guess now's a good time to criticize idly before you have to start backpedaling
Ahh so now its going to be in the future..back to the future again..Its not creating life and you know it..
odenskrigare

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 12:57 pm
@xris,
xris;79363 wrote:
Ahh so now its going to be in the future..back to the future again..Its not creating life and you know it..

Alright, this is still grossly off-topic but how do you define "creating life"
Caroline

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 01:00 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;79361 wrote:
What should be headline material is crowded out for celebrity blather and whatnot, be serious

Surely there'd be something in the news, has it?
xris

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 01:06 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;79364 wrote:
Alright, this is still grossly off-topic but how do you define "creating life"
Oh please you are aware of how we describe life and to recreate life is just as i say.Is this going to be a play on words to escape the consequences of your blind link.
The argument was a developement of the outrageous claims certain scientists make to attract headlines.
odenskrigare

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 01:09 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;79366 wrote:
Surely there'd be something in the news, has it?

Do you remember front page news about the synthesis of the polio virus in a lab (1992)?

Neither do I
xris

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 01:14 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;79370 wrote:
Do you remember front page news about the synthesis of the polio virus in a lab (1992)?

Neither do I
I can remember hearing as child they had found a cure by immunisation, most certainly.
0 Replies

odenskrigare

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 01:15 pm
@xris,
xris;79369 wrote:
Oh please you are aware of how we describe life and to recreate life is just as i say

No really define it here

xris;79369 wrote:
The argument was a developement of the outrageous claims certain scientists make to attract headlines.

Yes deep down inside, every scientist is just a mean old attention whore who wants to piss all over things that make the rest of us feel good

Well there are some who are kind of like that, but really no one but the postmodernists go through grad school just to become attention whores

---------- Post added 07-24-2009 at 03:19 PM ----------

xris;79372 wrote:
I can remember hearing as child they had found a cure by immunisation, most certainly.

The polio vaccine is much older than that

The polio virus was synthesized in the lab in 1992, and viri are kind-of sort-of living already (though that could be debated)

I'll give odds you didn't know that until today

Come on bro it's not like we're sliding into the past. The future is going to happen and it will drag you along with it whether you like it or not. It's better if you learn to like the future
xris

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 01:39 pm
@odenskrigare,
New Scientist Space Blog: Life defined - New Scientist I think i would agree with this description even though you might understand it more than I.Don't play the poor downtrodden scientist as if i decry all by a few outrageous claims.Its a simple case of when it happens i will applaud, but it aint happened yet.
I think i will remember if cold fusion is found or when the secrets of life have been discovered.
odenskrigare

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 02:05 pm
@xris,
xris;79379 wrote:
New Scientist Space Blog: Life defined - New Scientist I think i would agree with this description even though you might understand it more than I.Don't play the poor downtrodden scientist as if i decry all by a few outrageous claims.Its a simple case of when it happens i will applaud, but it aint happened yet.

I somehow doubt you understand this definition, but this is how much of it a synthesized virus (like polio, 1992) would meet:[INDENT]Life is a thermodynamically open chemical system with a semi-permeable boundary. It contains an information-based complex system with emergent properties, part of which drives a metabolism based on a proton gradient. The said gradient generates the necessary potential difference across the semi-permeable boundary. The information is heritable and coded in such a way as to allow variation and thus evolution.[/INDENT]So that's like half of it there

I guess the rest of the definition is WOW! magical and there's NO WAY we'll ever pull it off.

In fact, I'd be surprised if the rest were not filled in within the next five years.

xris;79379 wrote:
I think i will remember if cold fusion is found or when the secrets of life have been discovered.

What does cold fusion have to do with thread?

"Secrets of life" is too vague, what are you talking about?
xris

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2009 03:21 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;79384 wrote:
I somehow doubt you understand this definition, but this is how much of it a synthesized virus (like polio, 1992) would meet:
[INDENT]Life is a thermodynamically open chemical system with a semi-permeable boundary. It contains an information-based complex system with emergent properties, part of which drives a metabolism based on a proton gradient. The said gradient generates the necessary potential difference across the semi-permeable boundary. The information is heritable and coded in such a way as to allow variation and thus evolution.
[/INDENT]So that's like half of it there

I guess the rest of the definition is WOW! magical and there's NO WAY we'll ever pull it off.

In fact, I'd be surprised if the rest were not filled in within the next five years.

What does cold fusion have to do with thread?

"Secrets of life" is too vague, what are you talking about?
We may see life created we may not but up till now we have not.They have constructed a modified genome and placed it back into a living cell.That aint creatinglife thats modifying life.
Coldfusion was another example of claims made rashly.
odenskrigare

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2009 02:20 pm
@xris,
xris;79433 wrote:
We may see life created we may not but up till now we have not.They have constructed a modified genome and placed it back into a living cell.That aint creatinglife thats modifying life.

Well first of all, an entire genome has been created from scratch and it's being prepared for insertion in a cell, which is different and a lot closer to creating life than what you described...

But this thread is about the Blue Brain project, which has already succeeded in replicating an entire neocortical column in software, down to the molecular level. So you can't claim that "because we haven't made a cell 100% from scratch, we can't replicate a brain in software". That's already wrong, because a rat's neocortical column contains several thousand cells.

xris;79433 wrote:
Coldfusion was another example of claims made rashly.

Most other physicists reacted to claims of cold fusion pretty negatively, and it's no longer considered respectable. You will not see publications concerning cold fusion in mainstream publications. That's the difference between science and magic: we fix our own mistakes. Magicalists don't.
xris

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 06:02 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;79492 wrote:
Well first of all, an entire genome has been created from scratch and it's being prepared for insertion in a cell, which is different and a lot closer to creating life than what you described...

But this thread is about the Blue Brain project, which has already succeeded in replicating an entire neocortical column in software, down to the molecular level. So you can't claim that "because we haven't made a cell 100% from scratch, we can't replicate a brain in software". That's already wrong, because a rat's neocortical column contains several thousand cells.

Most other physicists reacted to claims of cold fusion pretty negatively, and it's no longer considered respectable. You will not see publications concerning cold fusion in mainstream publications. That's the difference between science and magic: we fix our own mistakes. Magicalists don't.
It was you that tried to claim science had created life, not I,as you now admit,they have not,The same goes for the claim to create a human brain,it aint even managed a worm yet, so lets not get carried away.
My point about cold fusion, science was convinced initially by another scientists claims,where they not?
What and who is a magicalist?
odenskrigare

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 07:22 am
@xris,
xris;79586 wrote:
The same goes for the claim to create a human brain,it aint even managed a worm yet, so lets not get carried away

Stop derailing the thread. This is about replicating a human brain in software. The first stage was already successful, as I pointed out: the replicated neocortical column acted as it should have.

xris;79586 wrote:
My point about cold fusion, science was convinced initially by another scientists claims,where they not?

Your confusion could be resolved easily by reading the wikipedia entry on "cold fusion"

xris;79586 wrote:
What and who is a magicalist?

You know someone who says that x, y or z isn't possible, appealing vaguely to some kind of magic
xris

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 08:43 am
@odenskrigare,
:perplexed:
odenskrigare;79591 wrote:
Stop derailing the thread. This is about replicating a human brain in software. The first stage was already successful, as I pointed out: the replicated neocortical column acted as it should have.

Your confusion could be resolved easily by reading the wikipedia entry on "cold fusion"

You know someone who says that x, y or z isn't possible, appealing vaguely to some kind of magic
Derailing the thread,what by pointing out your errors? Whose confused about cold fusion,not I.
Whose quoting some vague notion of magic?
odenskrigare

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 09:32 am
@xris,
xris;79607 wrote:
Whose quoting some vague notion of magic?

http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/philosophy-forums/branches-philosophy/philosophy-mind/5313-artificial-brain-ten-years-away.html#post79049

[indent]A mammalian brain type computer does not get even come close to resembling a human brain.It may help solve brain disorders but it will never be able to conceive of its own being or have an original thought.[/indent]

Oh ... and why not?
richrf

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 09:59 am
@odenskrigare,
In ten years, we will all be a little older. Cable boxes and downloadable movies will have replaced Netflix, arthritic hands will be prevalent among 30 year olds from all of the typing on those tiny iPhone and Blackberry keypads, and scientists will still be promising in their marketing pitches for research grants, that cancer breakthroughs are right around the corner, and humans will all be replaced by robots someday. I'll probably be playing tennis and dancing Salsa.

Rich
xris

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 10:12 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;79610 wrote:
http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/philosophy-forums/branches-philosophy/philosophy-mind/5313-artificial-brain-ten-years-away.html#post79049
[INDENT]A mammalian brain type computer does not get even come close to resembling a human brain.It may help solve brain disorders but it will never be able to conceive of its own being or have an original thought.
[/INDENT]Oh ... and why not?
How is this quoting magic...:perplexed:
0 Replies

odenskrigare

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 10:25 am
@richrf,
richrf;79613 wrote:
In ten years, we will all be a little older. Cable boxes and downloadable movies will have replaced Netflix, arthritic hands will be prevalent among 30 year olds from all of the typing on those tiny iPhone and Blackberry keypads, and scientists will still be promising in their marketing pitches for research grants, that cancer breakthroughs are right around the corner, and humans will all be replaced by robots someday. I'll probably be playing tennis and dancing Salsa.

Rich

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00674/robotic-monkey-404_674627c.jpg

http://www.nsf.gov/news/special_reports/science_nation/images/retina/production2_500.jpg

http://s3819378.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/matthew_nagel_brain_implant.jpg

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0801/denial-demotivational-poster-1200262965.jpg

---------- Post added 07-26-2009 at 12:29 PM ----------

xris;79615 wrote:
How is this quoting magic...:perplexed:

There is no empirical reason to assume that an artificial network organized on the same principles as the brain would not exhibit the same functions, especially considering that the field of artificial neural networks has already realized many of the most important and useful emergent properties of the brain. (And most ANN models, or at least the traditional models, have little fidelity to our biology.)

If you assume otherwise, you must be invoking magic.

[URL="javascript: leoHighlightsIFrameClose();"]
[/URL]
richrf

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 10:41 am
@odenskrigare,
Building tinker toys does not equate to replicating the human brain. But keep up with the sales pitch. I don't hold it against you if you can get some research grants. Hopefully more innocuous than building stuff that can spy on people, but my own preference would be to spend the money on growing nutritious foods and building parks for children to play in.

Rich
xris

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 11:40 am
@richrf,
It appears that opposing scientific prophesies is evoking magical quotations, im a witch, a wizard condemned for being sceptical.I think i am to be burnt at the pyre by a high priest of elitist certainty.
0 Replies