Is Thought the Actual Force Behind Creation

richrf

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:42 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;86727 wrote:
This thread is a metaphysical one, based on metaphysical thinking, which I'm not opposed to. Further, speculation is the mother of all knowledge. Einstein said his own theory of relativity was largely the invention first and formost of his imagination. Yet I constantly witness in threads such as these, the put down of imagination ... calling it nothing but fantasy, etc. Imagination is the greatest gift bestowed upon us along with the ability to think. Also, what is the brain? What is Mind? No scientist has ever provided an adequate definition.

Yes, I am very much in agreement with these sentiments. I am more interested in discussion and less concerned about whether we can reach an definitive conclusion on anything relating to the nature of Mind. And I very much agree that imagination should be cherished and not ridiculed.

Rich
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:45 pm
@Pathfinder,
Imagination should be cherished. So should observation. The only thing ridiculous is to confuse the two.
0 Replies

Pathfinder

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:56 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;86758 wrote:
For you I'd suggest acquiring enough knowledge to know what scientists are talking about before casting your aspersions.

does one need to know everything the scientist knows in order to realize that the scientist has not proven a particular hypothesis?

I know enough to know that no scientist has solved the mystery of life or has any answers to the mystery of creation and existence.

Are you suggesting that before I can come to that conclusion I first have to know every scientific suggestion ever made?

Good luck with that Aedes, I am very much happy just learning what little I can at the very slow pace I am taking now. I have no interest in learning every single aspect of science just as I have no interest in learning every single religious point of view available on the planet. And I am pretty certain that you do not either.

the fact that I do not know every aspect of science does not mean that I do not know enough to come to the conclusion that I have. Its a no - brainer!
Aedes

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:03 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;86766 wrote:
does one need to know everything the scientist knows in order to realize that the scientist has not proven a particular hypothesis?
Start from the experimental methods to decide if the hypothesis was tested in a valid way. Then look at the results if you think the methods were valid. If the experiment has not proven the hypothesis, then you get your answer. Fortunately for us all, scientists publish their research.

Pathfinder;86766 wrote:
I know enough to know that no scientist has solved the mystery of life or has any answers to the mystery of creation and existence.
You don't know enough to realize that many of the things you consider mysteries actually are not that mysterious at all.

Pathfinder;86766 wrote:
Are you suggesting that before I can come to that conclusion I first have to know every scientific suggestion ever made?
I'm realistic -- why don't you start with an honest effort and an open mind?
0 Replies

Pathfinder

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:06 pm
@Pathfinder,
Aedes,

are you telling me that a scientist somewhere has uncovered the secret to the origin of life and the origin of the universe?

because if you are I would really like you to direct me to that so I can see what they have proven.
Aedes

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:13 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;86773 wrote:
Aedes,

are you telling me that a scientist somewhere has uncovered the secret to the origin of life and the origin of the universe?
Pathfinder, if I'm going to indulge you in conversation, I expect you to read my posts with a shred of honest fidelity and attention. Respond to what I write and not your flights of fancy.
prothero

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:17 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;86773 wrote:
Aedes,

because if you are I would really like you to direct me to that so I can see what they have proven.

Now lets not confuse metaphysical questions with scientific questions.

The trick I think is to incorporate what science tells us into ones overall worldview. It would be better if your worldview did not directly conflict with established facts or well supported scientific theories. There are many spiritualistic and theistic views which are not in conflict with science. But, special creationism is not one of them for instance.

You can still believe in various forms of god, in spirit expressed through matter by process and evolution. You just can not believe each species was independently created by special creation in a matter of days.

Well you can believe it, I suppose but no rational educated person will give it serious consideration.
0 Replies

Pathfinder

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:19 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;86776 wrote:
Pathfinder, if I'm going to indulge you in conversation, I expect you to read my posts with a shred of honest fidelity and attention. Respond to what I write and not your flights of fancy.

I am ready and willing and cooperative aedes.

---------- Post added 08-29-2009 at 09:23 PM ----------

prothero;86779 wrote:
Now lets not confuse metaphysical questions with scientific questions.

The trick I think is to incorporate what science tells us into ones overall worldview. It would be better if your worldview did not directly conflict with established facts or well supported scientific theories. There are many spiritualistic and theistic views which are not in conflict with science. But, special creationism is not one of them for instance.

You can still believe in various forms of god, in spirit expressed through matter by process and evolution. You just can not believe each species was independently created by special creation in a matter of days.

Well you can believe it, I suppose but no rational educated person will give it serious consideration.

I do not believe in a god or in spirit if you mean by that some ghost inside of a person.

What I do acknowledge though is that there is a force beyond our ability to comprehend that lies at the root of all that we experience and exist within. And this force is the origin of life as well as creation as we know it. What that force is remains a mystery to us all.

And now if you don't mind Aedes is about to show us how a scientist somewhere has either uncovered this secret or finally revealed it as a falacy.
Aedes

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:33 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;86780 wrote:
I am ready and willing and cooperative aedes.
Then try again and I'll happily keep conversing.

Let me be clear, Pathfinder:

Biological explanations of the origin of life only presume that life is a particular kind of physical thing. You may not like this, because life at a metaphysical level is mysterious and wondrous, but that's not how biology regards it. There is no "life force" that enters a living thing and departs a dead thing.

Science by definition strings explanations between observations. There are historical things like linguistics, astronomy, geology, and evolutionary biology, that can never observe their areas of study real time, so there are all the limitations of retrospective study, including incompleteness.

But that's not really an indictment. After all, you can go to a crime scene and piece together what is most likely to have happened without knowing 100% for sure from observation. If someone is found dead, and they have a candlestick shaped indentation in their skull, and the candlestick is lying next to the victim, and it's got Colonel Mustard's fingerprints on it, and you know that Colonel Mustard had previously been heard threatening the victim, then you are much more likely to believe it was Colonel Mustard and not Mr. Plum who killed the victim. You've put the pieces together coherently, even without having observed it real time. (This was a Clue reference if you didn't get it).

So it is with the origin of the universe, the origin of the planet, the origin of life (abiogenesis), and the diversification of life (evolution). The story is pieced together with evidence. There is much we don't know, but there's a hell of a lot we do, and in fact it's overwhelming. It would take an openminded jury 2 seconds to reach a verdict.

But this presumes that you derive conclusions about material things from systematic observations of material things. And these observations are the constituents of science. The terminology may be daunting, the presentation may strike you as haughty, but sorry, it is what it is, and doubters have every opportunity to challenge the methodologic validity of evidence collection or to collect their own evidence.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:33 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;86780 wrote:

What I do acknowledge though is that there is a force beyond our ability to comprehend that lies at the root of all that we experience and exist within. And this force is the origin of life as well as creation as we know it. What that force is remains a mystery to us all..

And thats fine. A somewhat nebulous mystical type of belief. What is there about the theory of evolution that you find incompatible with that belief?

Why is the process of evolution not that force expressing itself through creation, life, mind and experience?

The theory of evolution is not atheistic, materialistic or deterministic. Those who assert that it is are confusing science with metaphysics as I think you may be also.

---------- Post added 08-29-2009 at 07:51 PM ----------

Aedes;86792 wrote:
Biological explanations of the origin of life only presume that life is a particular kind of physical thing.

I would object to this phrasing. Biological explanations only study the physical or material aspects of things. The assumption that that is all there "is" would be metaphysical.

Aedes;86792 wrote:
But this presumes that you derive conclusions about material things from systematic observations of material things. And these observations are the constituents of science.

Yes, science is a study of the material aspects of reality (res extensa). There may be and there is good reason to think that "total or ultimate reality" consists of more than just "material reality".

One can start with ones own mental experience, a little bit of scepticism about the totality or limitations of sensory experience, and proceed from there. Science gives only a partial and incomplete view of reality. It is a powerful tool and should not be dismissed in formulating a metaphysical world view or a philosophy of life but the assumption that science defines "reality" and "truth" is more metphysical than scientific.

Philosophy in the traditional sense was about more than time, matter and space it was about the integration of experience with values and aesthetics.
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 09:42 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;86089 wrote:
So what will the point be in, say, 1,000,000 years from now? Even 1000 years from now? Who is ever going to remember you? On a small scale, your life would seem to have some point from certain very specific perspectives, but on a longer timeline, you're going to have a hard time convincing me that there is any real point to any of this. For any of us.

I won't speak for you, but the 'point' of my life is not to be remembered a million, a thousand, or even a hundred years from now. Those longer timelines you speak of exist only in your mind, or my mind, or any mind which thinks about such things; if a person believes that they will remembered forever in their last moment of life, that's the same as actually being remembered forever; they won't know the difference. Life is all. The meaning of life is to live. The point of philosophy is philosophy. The journey is in fact the destination.

..and then the obvious question; why are you posting?
TickTockMan

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 12:36 am
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;86814 wrote:
I won't speak for you, but the 'point' of my life is not to be remembered a million, a thousand, or even a hundred years from now.

I didn't mean to imply that the point of one's life is simply to be remembered, although given the magnitude of some people's headstones and memorials, future archeologists might conclude that it was certainly of key importance. Personally, I'd like to be forgotten while I'm still alive, so I could have a little more time to hike and fish.

BrightNoon;86814 wrote:
Those longer timelines you speak of exist only in your mind, or my mind, or any mind which thinks about such things;

I'm unsure what you are saying about timelines here. I'm having a hard time with the idea that timelines exist only in my mind. Are you saying that time will cease to exist at the same moment I cease to exist? What will happen to the rest of you then? Will creation itself cease to exist? Perhaps I am misinterpreting your words. I confuse easily.

BrightNoon;86814 wrote:
if a person believes that they will remembered forever in their last moment of life, that's the same as actually being remembered forever; they won't know the difference.

I'm wondering how this could be. Many people throughout history have died thinking that they were Jesus Christ. Is this the same as actually being Jesus Christ? I mean, other than from their specific point of view. Or is that what you meant when you said they won't know the difference? Still, it seems as though there must be some separation made between actuality and a dying fantasy, or otherwise we might all just as well go ahead and agree that thought is indeed the actual force behind creation.

BrightNoon;86814 wrote:
The journey is in fact the destination.

Well, technically speaking a journey by default ceases to be a journey when it becomes a destination. But I understand what you're saying. Personally I like the late Chogyam Trungpa's version of "The path is the goal" better, as far as this type of thing to say goes. I know, it's basically the same thing, it just has a better ring to my ears.

Honestly though, I'm pretty much in agreement with your assessment of what the point of all of this is. As I've noted elsewhere, I just really like kicking at anthills. It's a character flaw, and I really don't have the intellectual alacrity to deal with it when the ants start climbing up my legs.

BrightNoon;86814 wrote:
..and then the obvious question; why are you posting?

I cherish our time together.
0 Replies

Pathfinder

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 04:31 am
@Pathfinder,
tick tock, i swear to whatever God is pout there, you are killing me! lol

---------- Post added 08-30-2009 at 05:56 AM ----------

Aedes;86792 wrote:
Then try again and I'll happily keep conversing.

Let me be clear, Pathfinder:

Biological explanations of the origin of life only presume that life is a particular kind of physical thing. You may not like this, because life at a metaphysical level is mysterious and wondrous, but that's not how biology regards it. There is no "life force" that enters a living thing and departs a dead thing.

Science by definition strings explanations between observations. There are historical things like linguistics, astronomy, geology, and evolutionary biology, that can never observe their areas of study real time, so there are all the limitations of retrospective study, including incompleteness.

But that's not really an indictment. After all, you can go to a crime scene and piece together what is most likely to have happened without knowing 100% for sure from observation. If someone is found dead, and they have a candlestick shaped indentation in their skull, and the candlestick is lying next to the victim, and it's got Colonel Mustard's fingerprints on it, and you know that Colonel Mustard had previously been heard threatening the victim, then you are much more likely to believe it was Colonel Mustard and not Mr. Plum who killed the victim. You've put the pieces together coherently, even without having observed it real time. (This was a Clue reference if you didn't get it).

So it is with the origin of the universe, the origin of the planet, the origin of life (abiogenesis), and the diversification of life (evolution). The story is pieced together with evidence. There is much we don't know, but there's a hell of a lot we do, and in fact it's overwhelming. It would take an openminded jury 2 seconds to reach a verdict.

But this presumes that you derive conclusions about material things from systematic observations of material things. And these observations are the constituents of science. The terminology may be daunting, the presentation may strike you as haughty, but sorry, it is what it is, and doubters have every opportunity to challenge the methodologic validity of evidence collection or to collect their own evidence.

Aedes, you cannot say that there is no lifeforce that enters a thing and exits a thing. You are making assumptions based on nothing. You do not know that. But yes, you do know what science has been able top piece together and I do not belittle that. But we can observe life in real time. We are living it right now and there are certain questions that beg to be answered by curious minds. And isnt that what a biologist is, a curious mind.

Unfortunately what I see happening is that inquiring mind coming to halt when it becomes faced with the barrier of a mystery oit cannot explain, and instead of just accepting the mystery as just that, that curious mind suddenly alters its path for truth to go down one of prefabrication. At that point, in order to make ones efforts worthwhile in their own greed for notoriety and self worth, the truth becomes lost to them and they begin to devise their own truths, and because they know what they have done, they become very defensive about it and would rather not have it challenged by others who have not been swayed by their deviation.

I do not challenge the evidence that is credible. rather I appreciate the effort. There have been great achievement and discoveries made in the scientific community that have benefited us all. But does that mean that they now have a moratorium on truth to the degree that we must now accept everything they devise as truth? Will we put them on such a pedestal that we no longer question anything they say or do?

I challenge all scientific and philosophical minds by asking them to give credibility to what they suppose. And I ask them to avoid declaring fact where none has been proven. I also challenge them to continue to delve into those mysteries of life that they cannot answer, that in the hopes one day they will find the answer. This is how many other discoveries have been made. Not to give up just because it reveals their inadequacy. But to strive forward anyway in hopes that such inadequacy may be overcome and new truths revealed.

And when biologists or cosmologists declare that they have uncovered the ansers to mysteries that we all know have not been revealed, they must be held accountable for their arrogance and attempt to deceive.

I love the searcher and the experimenter; but put up or shut up! I am not looking for a consensus or vote on what the majority falls victim to, if that was the case we would all be muslims. I am looking for the truth just like they all should be.

The truth may never be revealed, maybe things just are what they are. In such a vast universe of mystery is that so hard to accept? We do not have to have all the answers just because we are scientists. How about we just consider all of the possibilities, respect everyone Else's right to suppose, and strive to be able to prove what we discover, while at the same time taking great care not to let our egos lead us astray.

Is evolution proven fact just because there is a great amount of evidence pointing that way?Is Islam the truth just because there are more muslims on the planet than any other religion? No! Nothing is yet proven when we have not the slightest clue where life comes from or where it goes upon death.

Shouldevolution be linked to the life and death dilemma in such a way? I guess that's a personal way of thinking, in my mind the two are inseparable, and scientists should continue doing what they are doing and gathering the evidence. They are doing a fine job when they stay on the course. They are making fools of themselves when they begin to make declarations in the face of great mysteries.
jeeprs

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 04:57 am
@Pathfinder,
There is an issue in this thread with the nature of 'thought'. The issue is, who or what is thinking? And it is of course is a big issue, and I won't pretend to answer it, but I will say that 'whoever is thinking' is beyond thought itself. And that is where to look.

It is demonstrable that thought itself is the action of neurons. Thought itself is always conditioned and created in time. Ask yourself who is thinking? What gives rise to thought? By the time it has already turned into thinking, the moment has passed. Thought itself occurs several seconds after whatever has happened, has happened. Now that which thinks is a different matter, because that is the medium in which thought occurs. And that cannot be the object of thought.

Here is a quote I found on a newsgroup discussion about meditation:

-----------

"People assume they are thinking, even thinking logically, but in fact they are being 'thought'. Does one control thoughts or is it the other way around? Obviously thoughts go where they will, to heaven and to hell, according to circumstance and conditioned interpretation, and folks helplessly follow those thoughts when they identify with thought as their own doing and their own self-ness.

But if one were the real thinker of his own thoughts, how could he ever be displeased? How could he be sad or angry or fearful or full of pains? Thoughts nag. Thoughts circle. Thoughts attack.

Proper meditation allows seeing thoughts as thoughts, and feelings as feelings, mere mental phantoms of no substance, and not by any means any 'reality' of importance or dreads. This is detachment-mindfulness.

Non-meditators can't see thoughts and feelings as such, but they unconsciously obey them as commands supposedly arising from their own self-ness. They are helplessly and painfully reactive and out of control. Victims of circumstance. They don't know what they're doing, or where they're going, racing along heedlessly 'thoughtful'.

--------------------

I think perhaps we are putting 'thought' on a pedestal in all of this. Maybe there is something behind all creation, but it there is, you can bet your boots it is 'beyond thought'. This is not to say however that it cannot be found through meditation.
Shostakovich phil

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 08:12 am
@Pathfinder,
Actually, you're wrong. The universe of the past can be observed. Astronomers do it everytime they look through a telescope and so do we, when we look at the moon or the Sun or distant stars. We're looking at radiation emitted by all those objects, not the objects themselves. The universe -an idea? No, I don't think so. It's a fact. So are all the things contained in the universe. They are not ideas. 'Superman' and 'Batman' and 'Utilitarianism' are Ideas.
richrf

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 08:28 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;86837 wrote:
It is demonstrable that thought itself is the action of neurons.

I am not sure about this. The action of neurons can very well be physical receiver and transmitter of thought, which is what I believe it is. Just as circuit boards in a TV are the receiving devices for video waves. The video itself does not begin nor end in the circuit boards.

Rich

---------- Post added 08-30-2009 at 09:33 AM ----------

Shostakovich;86860 wrote:
Actually, you're wrong. The universe of the past can be observed. Astronomers do it everytime they look through a telescope and so do we, when we look at the moon or the Sun or distant stars. We're looking at radiation emitted by all those objects, not the objects themselves. The universe -an idea? No, I don't think so. It's a fact. So are all the things contained in the universe. They are not ideas. 'Superman' and 'Batman' and 'Utilitarianism' are Ideas.

Well, what we are actually seeing are some shapes that our mind is currently processing. Because our mind (collective mind) has formed an idea that light travels at a certain speed through space (whatever space and time are), we then create another idea, in our mind, that the objects and shapes we are creating in our mind are from the distant past.

When I look at the Sun, I do not think that it is something in the past, I think that I am viewing it now. However, I can create additional ideas in my mind that make me think that it is the past. It is all going on in the mind now.

Rich
Arjuna

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:04 am
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;86860 wrote:

One assumes we're always seeing light emitted or reflected, not the objects themselves. Since light has been observed to have a finite speed, according to you, we're always seeing the past. Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you abandon the conventional conception of time. The problem is your statement presupposes that conventional conception. And... define fact.

Jeeprs: I'm exploring the idea that neurons receive or transmit thought. You know the picture on the television is information riding on a carrier wave. The receiver separates the information from the carrier and sends it to the part of the TV that fires the screen (LCD's for most of us these days.) I don't know how far this metaphor goes... but the idea of there being a 'carrier' of thought waves is fun.
rhinogrey

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:08 am
@richrf,
richrf;86866 wrote:
Well, what we are actually seeing are some shapes that our mind is currently processing. Because our mind (collective mind) has formed an idea that light travels at a certain speed through space (whatever space and time are), we then create another idea, in our mind, that the objects and shapes we are creating in our mind are from the distant past.

When I look at the Sun, I do not think that it is something in the past, I think that I am viewing it now. However, I can create additional ideas in my mind that make me think that it is the past. It is all going on in the mind now.

Rich

Ummm...no.

You having an idea does not alter what you are seeing, it alters the way you interpret what you are seeing.

Not all ideas are equal. An idea's value is measured by how accurately it affects that which it describes, or models.

You think "it is all going on in the mind now" because you identify your 'self' with an abstraction created within the mind.

But, must I remind you once again, that the universe does not revolve around your puny mind?

There is no 'I' beyond the thought. The thought is the expression of the 'I' as manifested in every fluid moment. The idea of a persistent, static 'I' is similar to the way we observe particles when we erase the dimension of 'time' and waves collapse, since they are dependent upon the temporal dimension.

Everything is interdependent, and lacks an essence outside of its relation to everything else. Therefore, 'I' is the sum-total of all prior physical histories, including those that give rise to your entire enterprise of 'ideas.'
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:14 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;86902 wrote:
Jeeprs: I'm exploring the idea that neurons receive or transmit thought. You know the picture on the television is information riding on a carrier wave. The receiver separates the information from the carrier and sends it to the part of the TV that fires the screen (LCD's for most of us these days.) I don't know how far this metaphor goes... but the idea of there being a 'carrier' of thought waves is fun.

I first came across this idea, when a member of this forum (I forgot who), suggested I read Rupert Sheldrake. It is quite interesting.

Rich

---------- Post added 08-30-2009 at 11:27 AM ----------

rhinogrey;86904 wrote:
Ummm...no.

No, or do you disagree? If it is no, then there is no discussion.

Rich
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:38 am
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;86834 wrote:
Aedes, you cannot say that there is no lifeforce that enters a thing and exits a thing. You are making assumptions based on nothing.
Ok, well the honus is on you to prove the existence of a "life force." First you need to define it, then demonstrate it. And I'm a sciency kind of guy, so I tend not to believe things that cannot be demonstrated.

---------- Post added 08-30-2009 at 12:42 PM ----------

Pathfinder;86834 wrote:
They are doing a fine job when they stay on the course. They are making fools of themselves when they begin to make declarations in the face of great mysteries.
In science a "mystery" is basically a technical obsticle. We may never have certain answers, but that's not because they're mysterious -- we just may lack the means to answer such questions.

And since I'm sure your admonition about "declarations in the face of great mysteries" is NOT derived from rapt attention to scientific publications and symposia, I wonder whom you're actually getting this idea from. I'd be happy to post any journal article you want if you want to demonstrate the truth of such an accusation.

In fact there is a free journal called PLoS (actually they have several sub-journals) that you can access online. Go to Public Library of Science, pick an article about evolution, and show me where in the text they make "declarations in the face of great mysteries", as opposed to just sticking to their findings.