Procreation: Reasons for?

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 01:28 pm
@gojo1978,
It is awefully presumptuous to cry selfishness from a relative standpoint to another with a contrary relative view. It is also awefully presumptuous to throw out scare quotes on "faith". When you ask why someone has children you open the debate up to faith bases reasons, and faith based doctrinal explanations.

So, the doctrine is that the end of the world is near, self destruction of a species under this explanation is a non-issue. The doctrine of repentishing the earth is not about the number of people on earth it is about the number of God's Spirit children that get the opportunity to come to earth and pass through their mortal trial. The doctrine being, hey God wants his children down here on Earth and preferably in good families, makes contraception of any kind is selfish, and all your whining about environment, unhappyness, despair, etc... is pointless, because the doctrine is (you are on earth having a trial) trials are not fun.

So, people with said faith are taking responsibility to to their duty as they percieve it . People with said faith have a rational thought process to reach the decision to have kids. People with said faith are fully aware that sex leads to kids and are taking on the responsibility of those kids when they have sex. So it seems that people who are not having children are being selfish, they are denying God's will, they are taking opportunity away from their spirit brethren, and they are doing it in the guise of the most insideous of manners by claiming a non-faith based faith in the untestable dogma that all truth and all existence is material and empirical.
Holiday20310401

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 02:36 pm
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;79820 wrote:
So, those of you that have answered so far (or others if interested, in fact), what were your actual reasons for procreating? Some previous posts have mentioned "propagation of the species", but I know that was pretty far from your minds at the time. "We must have children dear, otherwise the species will be in grave peril; there's only 7 billion of them left!" So, if anyone would oblige, let's hear your honest reasoning on the matter.

My reasoning is simple. I'd have sex to have a good time. And of course it would be pretty far from one's mind "at the time"; what a turn off that would be. Now explain to me why the act would be selfish, and if so, why that would be neccessarily a bad thing. No I'm not an ethical hedonist (how could philosophy-lovers be, that would be contradictory would it not?), I just don't see reason to spoil the fun.

gojo1978;79820 wrote:
#1: Selfish. The very definition thereof, in fact.

Well I hope you can assert claims like these with more empirical grounds in the future.

It is not the very definition of selfish. Today, with such an overpopulated Earth, does the potential child-to-be have the ultimate status in what affects a couple's sex life?? Unless you consider birth control pills or abortion to be selfish. "Let's be humble unto our child that doesn't even exist yet". Geez, does that ever ring the ol church bell, eh.

Alright, let's for a minute go with it, and say this is selfish (though again, selfish isn't the right word), that to not think about the child-to-be is selfish. Does this make the 'selfishness' a bad thing? What's wrong with being 'selfish'? Are frivolity and light-heartedness in two lovers always a bad thing?

Your flaw (at the moment) is considering selfishness in itself to be wrong.
I could just as easily assert selflessness in itself to be wrong (that'd probably play out easier on my conscience too), if we talk about pure abstracts of the concepts that is.
gojo1978

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 04:27 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;79838 wrote:
It is awefully presumptuous to cry selfishness from a relative standpoint to another with a contrary relative view. It is also awefully presumptuous to throw out scare quotes on "faith". When you ask why someone has children you open the debate up to faith bases reasons, and faith based doctrinal explanations.

So, the doctrine is that the end of the world is near, self destruction of a species under this explanation is a non-issue. The doctrine of repentishing the earth is not about the number of people on earth it is about the number of God's Spirit children that get the opportunity to come to earth and pass through their mortal trial. The doctrine being, hey God wants his children down here on Earth and preferably in good families, makes contraception of any kind is selfish, and all your whining about environment, unhappyness, despair, etc... is pointless, because the doctrine is (you are on earth having a trial) trials are not fun.

So, people with said faith are taking responsibility to to their duty as they percieve it . People with said faith have a rational thought process to reach the decision to have kids. People with said faith are fully aware that sex leads to kids and are taking on the responsibility of those kids when they have sex. So it seems that people who are not having children are being selfish, they are denying God's will, they are taking opportunity away from their spirit brethren, and they are doing it in the guise of the most insideous of manners by claiming a non-faith based faith in the untestable dogma that all truth and all existence is material and empirical.

You talk about untestable dogma in the same breath as you mention the g-word? :eek:

Wow.

At least material things can be shown to exist, by way of their.... well, material. This attempt at justification of unselfishness has now taken us onto the road I specifically didn't want to go down, vis-a-vis the OP. I'm interested in people who use their own will to judge their actions, rather than that of an anachronistic mythical being. How can I take seriously the mind of someone who takes their own mind less seriously than that of something which cannot be shown to be real? That places them in the category immune to reason, and in doing so, you undermine (okay, in my eyes at least) everything else you say and do.
Holiday20310401

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 04:46 pm
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;79867 wrote:

At least material things can be shown to exist, by way of their.... well, material. This attempt at justification of unselfishness has now taken us onto the road I specifically didn't want to go down, vis-a-vis the OP. I'm interested in people who use their own will to judge their actions, rather than that of an anachronistic mythical being. How can I take seriously the mind of someone who takes their own mind less seriously than that of something which cannot be shown to be real?

I don't know what to say. Firstly, I'm not a materialist. There is much more one can offer oneself than simply 'material'. That's the way I see it. We can always debate this in another thread if one doesn't already exist.
Secondly, you must admit that your OP requires us to assert material context where there is no 'material' to do so. In that, you've asked us to reason over a paradox, and the paradox becomes rather dogmatically? brought about when one has to remain fruitful to materialism.

The universe is a mask; materialism asserts there is only one.

Alright, alright, we'll get back on track now.

gojo1978;79867 wrote:

That places them in the category immune to reason, and in doing so

Can hardly conceal the irony here, lol.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 05:09 pm
@gojo1978,
First, I am fully aware of the empirical untestability of faith based dogma. I'm saying that soap boxing from an agenda while categorically denying the validity posts you don't agree with is awefully presumptuous.

Second, the issue is not one of faith or no faith, it is an issue of as you say, " people who use their own will to judge their actions". You are assuming that people of faith have never come to a rational personal and very real series of introspective and empirical decisions. You are also assuming that people of faith do not, "use their own will to judge their actions". This doesn't even make sense. People don't just have faith, the battle for it, they work at it, they waiver and in some cases suffer for it. This is the ultimate expression of free will, choosing something that isn't patently empirically obvious.

Third: You are also assuming here that people who are not religious somehow do not operate under the influence of things that cannot be shown to be real. Your very thought process, the mind which you prize so highly above the "Mythical God" and the sheeple who choose to follow it cannot be shown to be real, and yet somehow you take it seriously, as if somehow it has does not share "Mythical God" status in your operational reality. Have you ever thought that you might be happier, since this post is about happiness in mortality, jumping from one operational "Mythical God" (self) to another. It sure seems the the standard "Mythical Gods" all have plans to attain happiness, does your "Mythical God"?
0 Replies

gojo1978

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 05:11 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;79852 wrote:
My reasoning is simple. I'd have sex to have a good time. And of course it would be pretty far from one's mind "at the time"; what a turn off that would be. Now explain to me why the act would be selfish, and if so, why that would be neccessarily a bad thing. No I'm not an ethical hedonist (how could philosophy-lovers be, that would be contradictory would it not?), I just don't see reason to spoil the fun.

First of all, I'm glad you agree with me about 'propagating the species' being far from your mind at the time; I was not trying to say it should be in your mind, I was merely debunking it as a valid argument as a non-selfish reason. Nobody in the world has children for that reason.

The act of having sex, per se, is NOT what I'm saying is selfish. It could be argued that it is, but in the case of sex from which no child is conceived, it is unimportant. The only people being affected by the sex are the participants. Fine and dandy, shag on! But when a new being is to be brought forth from it, that's when things change.

As for precautions being "a turn off...at the time", well, that's easily nullified.

Can we assume that you do not go round impregnating women as soon as you meet them, and that you have a long term partner, whom you also did not impregnate the first time you met her? Assuming both of these are the case, this argument does not stand up, as you would have had plenty opportunity to make arrangements for ongoing contraception prior to conception of a child. Even if you had somehow failed in this endeavour, you could also have used the morning after pill.

Well I hope you can assert claims like these with more empirical grounds in the future.

It is not the very definition of selfish. Today, with such an overpopulated Earth, does the potential child-to-be have the ultimate status in what affects a couple's sex life?? Unless you consider birth control pills or abortion to be selfish. "Let's be humble unto our child that doesn't even exist yet". Geez, does that ever ring the ol church bell, eh.

No, but it should have the status of primary consideration. Get the prevention out of the way, taken care of, and then do what thou wilt. I consider birth control to be unselfish and taking responsibility. It's not difficult or expensive either, so there really is no excuse, at least not for a free-thinking person.

You've lost me a bit here with church bells and whatnot, but you have contradicted yourself in the process. You state that the Earth is overpopulated, yet continue to argue that bringing yet more people into it is unselfish; perhaps you'd care to explain how you reconcile these two viewpoints?

Alright, let's for a minute go with it, and say this is selfish (though again, selfish isn't the right word), that to not think about the child-to-be is selfish. Does this make the 'selfishness' a bad thing? What's wrong with being 'selfish'?

Of course it does! :eek: That is exactly what I'm trying to get through with this thread.

It wouldn't if what it was going to bring into existence was, say, a car. Or a football. But to simply disregard the welfare/interests of the - at this stage, hypothetical - self-conscious being is despicable. And selfish.

At this point, you probably think, "Hey, I have a decent job, decent standard of living, etc., the kid'll be fine." Now, leaving aside the human capacity for viewing life optimistically rather than objectively, lets take a more extreme example, and lets extend that to a couple living in Darfur, Sudan. Surrounded by genocide and ethnic cleansing, it is virtually certain that the child will, at best, lead a longish life of misery, at worst, lead a short life which will end prematurely in its brutal murder, along with that of its family.

Would anyone argue that this selfishness on the part of the couple has not been "a bad thing"?

Selfishness is fine when it ONLY affects the self in question. When it has an adverse effect on others, of course it is a bad thing. If you need that explained to you, you should really examine your ethics.

Are frivolity and light-heartedness in two lovers always a bad thing?

No, never, until such times as it will have an adverse impact on another. Make love, not war, but take precautions first.

Your flaw (at the moment) is considering selfishness in itself to be wrong.

Well, it's unethical for a start. What of equal consideration of interests?

I could just as easily assert selflessness in itself to be wrong (that'd probably play out easier on my conscience too), if we talk about pure abstracts of the concepts that is.

Let's hear it, then.

Further, and this is a general question to everyone, if you want children, why not adopt one of the MILLIONS OF CHILDREN WORLDWIDE WHO ARE HERE NOW, SUFFERING, who need love and parents?

---------- Post added 07-28-2009 at 12:30 AM ----------

GoshisDead;79872 wrote:
The issue is not one of faith or no faith, it is an issue of as you say, " people who use their own will to judge their actions". You are assuming that people of faith have never come to a rational personal and very real series of introspective and empirical decisions.

I fail to see how belief in god(s) is either rational or empirical. It's like the Enlightenment never happened.

GoshisDead;79872 wrote:
You are also assuming that people of faith do not, "use their own will to judge their actions". This doesn't even make sense.

Yes it does. You stated that not having children was against god's will. To hell with your own will, what does the big man think of it.

My statement makes perfect sense

GoshisDead;79872 wrote:
People don't just have faith, the battle for it, they work at it, they waiver and in some cases suffer for it. This is the ultimate expression of free will, choosing something that isn't patently empirically obvious.

What are your thoughts on the tooth fairy, then?

Moreover, even if you wouldn't admit it publicly, if I told you I believed in the car god, you'd piss yourself laughing. Why? What is the difference between the tooth fairy, the car god, and your god?

Why do you think faith needs to be worked at? What possible reason is there for that?

GoshisDead;79872 wrote:
Third: You are also assuming here that people who are not religious somehow do not operate under the influence of things that cannot be shown to be real. Your very thought process, the mind which you prize so highly above the "Mythical God" and the sheeple who choose to follow it cannot be shown to be real, and yet somehow you take it seriously, as if somehow it has does not share "Mythical God" status in your operational reality. Have you ever thought that you might be happier, since this post is about happiness in mortality, jumping from one operational "Mythical God" (self) to another. It sure seems the the standard "Mythical Gods" all have plans to attain happiness, does your "Mythical God"?

I'm tempted to say that I'd rather suffer in reality than be happy in a lifelong fantasy. But I won't.

With the mind comment, you're opening the Cartesian dualism can of worms which is really another thread and another topic, so I'm not going to get into that.
Holiday20310401

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 06:14 pm
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;79873 wrote:
First of all, I'm glad you agree with me about 'propagating the species' being far from your mind at the time; I was not trying to say it should be in your mind, I was merely debunking it as a valid argument as a non-selfish reason. Nobody in the world has children for that reason.

Very few people have children and consider that their primary reason for having sex, I'd assume. Doesn't make sex selfish, and of course we've cleared that up.

gojo1978;79873 wrote:
Can we assume that you do not go round impregnating women as soon as you meet them, and that you have a long term partner, whom you also did not impregnate the first time you met her? Assuming both of these are the case, this argument does not stand up, as you would have had plenty opportunity to make arrangements for ongoing contraception prior to conception of a child. Even if you had somehow failed in this endeavour, you could also have used the morning after pill.

I'd do all in my power to make sure I wasn't going to be a father, lol, and certainly take any precautions necessary to make sure I didn't bring a spirit (and I do mean that non-religiously) into this world into the wrong hands, not to mention cause potential psychological harm to the partner for having to make a choice in the matter required in an abortion. One who isn't the father type would only hinder a potential child.

gojo1978;79873 wrote:
No, but it should have the status of primary consideration.

And what about her?

gojo1978;79873 wrote:
Get the prevention out of the way, taken care of, and then do what thou wilt. I consider birth control to be unselfish and taking responsibility. It's not difficult or expensive either, so there really is no excuse, at least not for a free-thinking person.

Exactly, and I'd allow myself the responsibility to at least do that.

gojo1978;79873 wrote:
You've lost me a bit here with church bells and whatnot, but you have contradicted yourself in the process. You state that the Earth is overpopulated, yet continue to argue that bringing yet more people into it is unselfish; perhaps you'd care to explain how you reconcile these two viewpoints?

I think the Earth is overpopulated, but this is entirely subjective an opinion. If we wanted to, technology would allow us a greater population without the consequences there are in the 6.6 billion of today.

gojo1978;79873 wrote:
Of course it does! :eek: That is exactly what I'm trying to get through with this thread.

Selfishness in itself is neither good or bad.

Yes, unprotected sex and no consideration for the consequences is both selfish, and undesirable to those receiving the consequences and empathizing for those who do. But I'd only imagine how lame the realm of selfishness would be in context to the passion of two lovers getting carried away in joy.

gojo1978;79873 wrote:
Selfishness is fine when it ONLY affects the self in question. When it has an adverse effect on others, of course it is a bad thing. If you need that explained to you, you should really examine your ethics.

Well in this situation, I agree with you, and in plenty more scenarios for that matter.

gojo1978;79873 wrote:
No, never, until such times as it will have an adverse impact on another. Make love, not war, but take precautions first.

Agreed there!

gojo1978;79873 wrote:
Well, it's unethical for a start. What of equal consideration of interests?

Alright, lol. Reasoning?

gojo1978;79873 wrote:
Let's hear it, then.

The point was you weren't backing up your assertion, and I would never try to back up the opposite, but that I could just as easily state that instead.

gojo1978;79873 wrote:
Further, and this is a general question to everyone, if you want children, why not adopt one of the MILLIONS OF CHILDREN WORLDWIDE WHO ARE HERE NOW, SUFFERING, who need love and parents?

Again, a lot of newborns are accidents.

Though you make a good point here. I think it is also important for us to realize how empty-minded it can be to abandon a child, and it seems apt to me for a teenage couple who aren't even out of school yet to consider the abortion rather than putting the child up for adoption. The psychological effects that a female can have in choosing abortion are moot compared to the conditions the child may be in for, especially if those conditions are not even bothered to be looked into by the couple.

But there are cases where some abandonments are necessary. My mom was adopted. Her mom apparently had extreme bipolar which didn't show itself extremely until her mid-life crisis in which case my mom was still a toddler, and had to be put up for adoption.
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 07:53 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Gojo:
1) The OP dares someone to say why X is not selfish, this opens the term selfish automatically to semantic debate and social relativity. You did not say I define selfish as: I dare you to say its not, which is what you are doing in subsequent posts. I established a relative scenario in which X is not selfish, I accepted the dare. You don't agree with it obviously, so be it.

2) The OP also states, "P.S. I have no control over who responds to this, but I personally would not welcome any religious types of response; I'm looking for solid, independent thinkers and thoughts." I responded "Its all cool if you don't want this to be a religious debate, go easy on the religious people are not independent solid thinkers. Some of the most articulate well thought and spoken people on this site are very religious in varying religions, sects, and denominations." to which your response was "What I meant by that is I don't want to be quoted lines from the bible telling me that god says, "yakkety yakkety yak". I want original responses from people's own considerations."

This left the floor open for conscientious religious responses, of Which I have posted a few, mostly abstract and in the hypothetical. Responses to which I have recieved no responses aside from "I fail to see how belief in god(s) is either rational or empirical. It's like the Enlightenment never happened." and their like. These neither directly address my hypothetical scenarios nor do they refute the possibilities made in them. Your failure to see how X is exactly that, your failure. This is not a jab at the non-religious, this is a jab at stubborness and inflexibility in philosophical thought. If I were having a conversation with said Car God Believer and they acted similarly I would say the same thing. In fact I say the same things to my own religious leaders.

3) to choose to align your will with another's will is in no way a negation of will
"Yes it does. You stated that not having children was against god's will. To hell with your own will, what does the big man think of it.
My statement makes perfect sense"

It makes no sense, at all. If you never aligned yourself to another's will you would have been jailed, killed, ostracized or worse. Even aligning yourself to the ideology of a culture which has no empirical credibility other than people obey it and pass it down. Hmmmm much like religion.

4) "Moreover, even if you wouldn't admit it publicly, if I told you I believed in the car god, you'd piss yourself laughing. Why? What is the difference between the tooth fairy, the car god, and your god?"
Why would I laugh at you? I don't laugh at scientologists although I don't believe a word of that. If this is a reflection of what you would do when confronted with Car God guy, that is not a reflection on my character.

"Why do you think faith needs to be worked at? What possible reason is there for that?"
Faith needs to be worked at for many of the same reason you are so unsubtly intimating. It also must be worked at for other reasons. The enlightenment did happen, and now that many of its precepts are part of the common cultural knowledge, many of those precepts are taken at face value. An educated person must grapple with that indoctrination just as the enlightenment thinkers had to grapple their current cultural recieved knowledge base in order to do and act the way they thought was right. Just because their thoughts have become current recieved know their courageousness should be lauded, not because of any "correctness" inbued in their thoughts, but because they were willing to stand up for what they believed in.

5) Opening up a dualist debate, as it stands with current technology, is necessary when discussing the mind, assuming that we are discussing it on a purely material plain. If it is not being discussed on a non-materialist plain then Cogito ergo sum, only flows back to Descartes if you take it there. It was not however an attempt to open that, it was an example of one person believing in an unprovable entity.
Aedes

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:22 pm
@richrf,
richrf;79789 wrote:
each person has to figure it out for themselves
You use yourself as an example and a model quite often for someone who believes that everyone else needs to figure it out for themselves.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 02:33 am
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;79760 wrote:
Okay, let's try a different approach:

My thoughts here have been met with pretty much blanket resistance, same old same old, but as yet, nobody has actually put forth a convincing argument, as per the OP.

So, those of you that have answered so far (or others if interested, in fact), what were your actual reasons for procreating? Some previous posts have mentioned "propagation of the species", but I know that was pretty far from your minds at the time. "We must have children dear, otherwise the species will be in grave peril; there's only 7 billion of them left!" So, if anyone would oblige, let's hear your honest reasoning on the matter.

selfish people will have children for selfish reasons and unselfish people will have children for unselfish reasons. not much trouble trying to imagine selfish reasons-more difficult for me to imagine any unselfish reasons for having a child.

actually I can think of a lot of unselfish reasons NOT to have a child...like the world is already too crowded, and the child might be liable to inherit my family illnesses, or the person knows they wouldnt be a very good parent...

but those parents who believe they are nurturing and loving and sensible and in all prepared and capable of being wonderful parents may have a horrible antisocial ax-murderer for a child. it happens. just as two horrible parents may have a wonderful child. for the most part, I imagine it is true that loving, supportive, well balanced (mentally) individuals would have the same kind of child, barring any genetic tendencies. but in my life so far I have yet not met a man and a woman who happen to be the parents of a child together (the same child) who were actually fit to raise one. it is amazing to me that anyone at all ever turns out right.
0 Replies

gojo1978

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 05:40 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;79907 wrote:

3) to choose to align your will with another's will is in no way a negation of will
"Yes it does. You stated that not having children was against god's will. To hell with your own will, what does the big man think of it.
My statement makes perfect sense"

It makes no sense, at all. If you never aligned yourself to another's will you would have been jailed, killed, ostracized or worse. Even aligning yourself to the ideology of a culture which has no empirical credibility other than people obey it and pass it down. Hmmmm much like religion.

A couple of major mistakes here:

If and when my will has aligned with that of another, it is (a) another whom I know to exist and be real, and (b) simply a case of me thinking, "Hey, I agree with what you think about issue X, I hereby align my will to you with regards to said issue."

I do NOT and would NEVER make a statement like, "God (or anyone) wants his children down here on Earth and preferably in good families, makes contraception of any kind is selfish."

What that is doing is NOT aligning wills; what that is doing is renouncing your own will in favour of that of an entity not yet proven (after how many years?) to exist. Not that the existence of god actually has anything to do with it; I wouldn't behave in such a way whether it was god's will or Mohatma Ghandi's will. The owner of the will is, in fact, inconsequential; if I disagree, I disagree, and that's all there is to it.

I take responsibility for my own decisions, I do not and never will pass the buck to a glorified fairy. I have no doubt you will argue that you do not pass the buck either, but I do not see how you could make such a claim when you say things like, "if it's God's will, it's not selfish..." That statement itself neatly encapsulates the desire of the religious to absolve themselves of any responsibility for their own actions or thoughts. It actually makes me think back to one of your previous comments, to the effect of "maybe if you believed in God, you'd be happy..." Hmm, maybe you're right; no responsibility, no blame... there certainly is a cushy element to that option.
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 11:01 am
@gojo1978,
A couple of Major mistakes. No one can give up their will. Aligning it with a glorified fairy as you say is the same as aligning it with anything else. If that person no lobger wants to be aligned s/he wont be.

Quote:
I do not see how you could make such a claim when you say things like, "if it's God's will, it's not selfish..."

Other flaw you are operating from the position that there is no God. That's fine its your choice, your will as you said you take responsibility for it. I am proposing a scenario that there is a God. In the scenario that I propose there is an internal logic that cannot be denied in my position.

The same can be said of your argument. no doubt you think that you have rationally come to a decision about this, but look back at the thread. You are denying human nature, biology, sociology, chemistry and several other ologies that deal directly with human behavior and its empirical reality. There is not one drop of practical rationality in your argument other than, If X is true Y is the proper course of action. Same argument I proposed If X is true then Y is the proper course of action. I am not trying to make a God exists or God doesn't argument, read back. I presented a scenario in which having children would not be selfish that get this, doesn't deny biology, chemistry, sociology, psychology. It simply starts from an axiom that states if God exists and this is his doctrine then Y is the proper course of action. Derisiveness against someone's belief system is inevitable in this forum although it shouldn't be and and as you stated earlier "I fail to see" I will let you continue in that failure and unless the conversation turns somewhere else We'll just go on our merry ways.
gojo1978

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 11:10 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;79997 wrote:
God wants his children down here on Earth and preferably in good families, makes contraception of any kind is selfish.

OK then, if god wants that, why not, as I have previously enquired about and largely been ignored, adopt one of the millions of children who already exist but do NOT find themselves in such a fortuitous position? They need love and parents and "good families" a whole lot more than anyone who does not yet exist. Barring such things as criminal convictions, etc., there is only one answer to that, and it is a selfish one, and it begins thus;

"I want....."
Baal

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 03:25 pm
@gojo1978,
Quote:

If and when my will has aligned with that of another, it is (a) another whom I know to exist and be real, and (b) simply a case of me thinking, "Hey, I agree with what you think about issue X, I hereby align my will to you with regards to said issue."
You have completely ignored Gosh's example of everyone at one point or another aligning their will with someone else, regardless of whether that else is "Real" and "Existent". Take a good example -- modern etiquette. I am sure you follow it to some extent (not to do so would preclude most forms of interaction and socializing). If you may feel it "Natural" to do such, then that is irrelevant as practicioners of a religion will also feel their own rituals as natural. If you ascribe to society some kind of existence, to the extent where it explicitly tells you its rules, that would be moot as well since such behavior is learned in practice, and during interaction. When you wish to enter the framework, you are implicitly agreeing to follow its rules regardless of whether you see an initial reason to each and every rule (e.g. proof) and it usually comes down to "You are not welcome here if you do not wish to abide by the constraints of this entity" -- whatever this entity is. Unless of course, you expect to tell me that you pondered many many hours over the notion of saying "Hello" to your colleagues and thus concluded it was something to "Agree" with. Or that you wish to concede that your friends ("Real entities") or "Society" explicitly told you that you must do such.

Thus cultural and social rules are learned before any reasons are ascribed to them.
Quote:

I do NOT and would NEVER make a statement like, "God (or anyone) wants his children down here on Earth and preferably in good families, makes contraception of any kind is selfish."...
"Table manners require that one use an eating utensil to eat certain kinds of food. Not using such utensils is rude."

Alignment of will is inevitable; you will be required to align your will with one or more entities ("Real" or not, "Empirical" or not, "Logical" or not). Further choices about particulars already depend on the kind of framework you have aligned yourself with. You must actually first chose an axiom (and blindly) and then simply and arbitrarily move to another, if the axiom established does not suffice.

The first axiom or primal axiom, of which the dominant one is within the "Scientistic" real, is simply dominant because of what it yields and not because of what it is. You do not *see* the scientific method, you see its results. Likewise you do not *see* "God" but you see its results. Whether the results are sufficient for you, e.g. whether you believe one to be more true/beneficial/progressive to whatever aim you deem worthy, is more of a personal decision than something really subject to a debate (if the debate itself is not purely about the different aims in theirselves and the forms of expressions of such aims).

---------- Post added 07-29-2009 at 12:36 AM ----------

gojo1978;79998 wrote:
OK then, if god wants that, why not, as I have previously enquired about and largely been ignored, adopt one of the millions of children who already exist but do NOT find themselves in such a fortuitous position? They need love and parents and "good families" a whole lot more than anyone who does not yet exist. Barring such things as criminal convictions, etc., there is only one answer to that, and it is a selfish one, and it begins thus;

"I want....."

You are suggesting that people adopt children from third-world countries (assuming we are speaking about a white couple adopting a non-white child in majority-white population) where the child will be subject to discrimination and ostracism (and this is a fact) is less 'selfish' than raising one's own child? Just because "I want... to help and feel good about myself"?
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:24 pm
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;79998 wrote:

"I want....."

Why not adopt, and have some of your own as well.

In a God scenario as I built earlier, there is an inherent fatalism. If the main purpose is to get spirits to earth and when on earth they have trials then die. Its not necessary to enjoy the earth life, only to pass the trials. So while person would like to provide a good home for as many as possible, the main point is still numbers. To maximize the number of spirits coming to earth is the name of the game here. The fatalism is that you arrive on earth suffer and die. All people suffer even rich first world non-abused well educated people. So here we are again at a relative expression of selfish depending on what one deems important.

I want.... has no direct correlation with selfishness unless every act is selfish in and of itself. What if I want to give a million dollars anonymously to a homeless shelter? What if I want to stay in a town I don't like in a job I don't like to make sure my family is provided for and happy?

Thus selfishness does not necessarily begin with I want...
0 Replies