Procreation: Reasons for?

richrf

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 02:09 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;79010 wrote:
No, just that the abstract concept of survival is not a motivator. Animals can make considered choices and solve problems, and it's not merely robotic.

So it shows how different we are. Survival is probably the most concrete thing in my existence.

Quote:
No, people get hungry because of the direct feedback effects of hypoglycemia, decreased effective circulating volume, leptins, and decreased gastric distension on the brain. "The body wants to survive"? The body doesn't WANT anything.

Is this the long way of saying that people need food to live?

Quote:
Guess why that is? It's because the behaviors and processes that allow survival are the ones that evolution preserves.

Evolution? Is this a process or a thing? I thought humans keep themselves alive.

Quote:
Throw 100 cows and 100 tuna into the ocean, and the tuna will survive. It's not because the tuna or their bodies "want" to survive any more than the cows. It's because they can.

Nope. They both want to survive. Unfortunately, for the cows, you interfered and killed them by forcing them in the ocean. Too bad for them. I feel sorry that they were part of this ugly experiment.

Quote:
Ask the OP -- he's the one who is concerned about it. I think we love our lives

Well, this is an interesting thought. We love to live. Sounds like a survival instinct to me. Now only two more questions to answer. What is love and what is instinct, and we are home free.

Quote:
some people who are not able to bear life's pain, or bear what they perceive as lack of meaning. Many of them die -- not necessarily from suicide, but from self-neglect (I KNOW you'll agree with this -- because you're very articulate about how people should care for themselves).

This is very interesting psychoanalysis of dead people (has anyone ever talked to a survivor of suicide?). Anyway, it is a long discussion. Why do people want to live? How they seek to live? How they seek to die? All open questions.

Rich
Aedes

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 02:26 pm
@richrf,
richrf;79063 wrote:
Is this the long way of saying that people need food to live?
People need food to live -- THEREFORE the biological mechanisms that induce hunger and food-seeking are preserved through evolution.

When you say that a baby cries from hunger (I paraphrase) in order to survive, you have it backwards!!

Rather, the fact of survival among that baby's ancestors is what has preserved this baby's salubrious food-seeking behavior.

richrf;79063 wrote:
Evolution? Is this a process or a thing? I thought humans keep themselves alive.
I don't quite understand the question... but I'm pretty sure you understood the point I was making.

richrf;79063 wrote:
Nope. They both want to survive. Unfortunately, for the cows, you interfered and killed them by forcing them in the ocean. Too bad for them. I feel sorry that they were part of this ugly experiment.
Don't go off on tangets to avoid the point. It could just as easily be a natural disaster that differentially favors different organisms. An apple tree doesn't "want to survive" any more or less than does seaweed. But if the ocean floods the orchard, then the apple tree dies and the seaweed lives in its place. Same thing. They don't WANT -- they adapt if they can and they die if they can't.

richrf;79063 wrote:
Well, this is an interesting thought. We love to live. Sounds like a survival instinct to me.
Sounds like a THOUGHT to me.

richrf;79063 wrote:
What is love and what is instinct, and we are home free.
You already answered instinct. You provided the definition. And we don't need to "define" love, unless you have some unorthodox conception of it.

richrf;79063 wrote:
has anyone ever talked to a survivor of suicide?
There are a lot of unsuccessful suicide attempts. Whether one lives or dies is immaterial to the fact that first they have made the decision to die. I've talked to hundreds of such people, because I take care of them in the hospital.
richrf

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 03:58 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;79068 wrote:
People need food to live -- THEREFORE the biological mechanisms that induce hunger and food-seeking are preserved through evolution.

When you say that a baby cries from hunger (I paraphrase) in order to survive, you have it backwards!!

Thanks for the warning, but I am afraid that you have it backwards. Consciousness wants to survive, so it sends this nice little signal from the brain (the receiver) through the nervous system, to the organs, with the feeling of hunger (this comes from consciousness). Body gets this signal and then goes out to get something to eat.

Now, things go awry when people start eating crap like Big Macs, Coke, fries and such. Because the body is still hungry for nutrients that it needs. (Its not about calories - its about healthy whole food). So people keep stuffing stuff into the body until consciousness (the physical part that is) is satisfied.

[Quote} Rather, the fact of survival among that baby's ancestors is what has preserved this baby's salubrious food-seeking behavior.[/QUOTE]

Nice story line, but I fine mine much more accurate and appealing.

Quote:
Don't go off on tangets to avoid the point. It could just as easily be a natural disaster that differentially favors different organisms. An apple tree doesn't "want to survive" any more or less than does seaweed.
Anymore than you apparently. There is no survival instinct? Right, wrong, or whatever.

Anyway, the tree is trying to survive and usually does a darn good job about it. I have an orchid on my dining room table that is a real champ, and I let it know it! :a-ok:

But if the ocean floods the orchard, then the apple tree dies and the seaweed lives in its place. Same thing. They don't WANT -- they adapt if they can and they die if they can't.

Quote:
You already answered instinct. You provided the definition. And we don't need to "define" love, unless you have some unorthodox conception of it.
Well, give it a go anyway. You used the word, do you know what it means?

Quote:
There are a lot of unsuccessful suicide attempts. Whether one lives or dies is immaterial to the fact that first they have made the decision to die. I've talked to hundreds of such people, because I take care of them in the hospital.
So you talk to people who have successfully committed suicide and know that they made a decision to die?

Rich
Aedes

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 04:47 pm
@richrf,
richrf;79102 wrote:
Consciousness wants to survive
In some cases. But we're talking about BODIES and INSTINCTS, NOT about consciousness.

And not every signal sent out by the brain is part of consciousness. The brain controls the rate of gastric peristalsis via the autonomic / enteric nervous system. That is not conscious.

Quote:
So you talk to people who have successfully committed suicide and know that they made a decision to die?
They have attempted suicide with the intent of dying. It so happens that they survived the attempt.
Khethil

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 08:48 pm
@gojo1978,
Side Note: I don't get the urge to procreate, consciously, in order to propagate the species. Nor do I eat in order that I may attain the nutrients my body needs, not consciously. Urges are the catalyst of the instincts - the satisfaction of these urges are what's acted upon, not their end-result (at least not in this context).

Thanks
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 09:33 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;79112 wrote:
In some cases. But we're talking about BODIES and INSTINCTS, NOT about consciousness.

Instincts are nothing more than conscious memory.

Quote:
And not every signal sent out by the brain is part of consciousness.

Call it the mind if you like. Anyway, whatever you want to call it, it is trying to survive and sending signals. The physical brain, which I view is a manifestation of consciousness (mind), is a conduit for a signal. I do not see it as the source.

{QUOTE]The brain controls the rate of gastric peristalsis via the autonomic / enteric nervous system. That is not conscious.[/QUOTE]

I see it as the mind. The brain is just a physical manifestation, created to do the stuff that the mind needs done. Sort of like a TV set is there to receive the signals from the network transmittor.

Quote:
They have attempted suicide with the intent of dying. It so happens that they survived the attempt.

Do you think this is a good enough sample? I mean anecdotal evidence seems OK when scientists want to use it, and they jump all over other people when they use it. These people are the survivors. And I am glad they did.

Rich

---------- Post added 07-23-2009 at 10:35 PM ----------

Khethil;79169 wrote:
Nor do I eat in order that I may attain the nutrients my body needs, not consciously.

I am sorry you don't. Try to eat nutritious foods, It is better for your health and will keep you out of the hospital and doctors office.

Rich
Aedes

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 09:45 pm
@richrf,
richrf;79174 wrote:
Instincts are nothing more than conscious memory.
Instincts are neither memory nor conscious.

richrf;79174 wrote:
it is "trying to survive" and sending signals.
It is sending signals in mechanistic response to stimuli. This is known down to the receptor in many cases. This is probably the best understood aspect of all neurophysiology.

richrf;79174 wrote:
The physical brain, which I view is a manifestation of consciousness (mind), is a conduit for a signal. I do not see it as the source.
Well, fine for you to have that view. But it's directly contradictory to the understanding of the brain garnered by science. And were it not for science, you wouldn't even be aware that we have "signals". So you're picking and choosing aspects of physiology to suit an unsupported belief you hold about consciousness. It's a matter of faith and I'm not going to go to great lengths to try and convince you otherwise -- but you should be aware that your view is contradictory to any empirically garnered understanding of how the brain works. Hope you're ok with that.
richrf

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 09:53 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;79179 wrote:
Instincts are neither memory nor conscious.

Totally disagree.

Quote:
It is sending signals in mechanistic response to stimuli. This is known down to the receptor in many cases. This is probably the best understood aspect of all neurophysiology.
What is sending? I say it is the mind.

Quote:
Well, fine for you to have that view. But it's directly contradictory to the understanding of the brain garnered by science.
Very unimpressive.

Quote:
And were it not for science, you wouldn't even be aware that we have "signals".
Its a nice to know. Just like baseball scores. But what is more applicable to me is that my mind and what it is doing in this life.

Quote:
So you're picking and choosing aspects of physiology to suit an unsupported belief you hold about consciousness. It's a matter of faith and I'm not going to go to great lengths to try and convince you otherwise --

Yep, the same faith the leads scientists to deny their own obvious consciousness (mind) and the role it plays in life. It is very, very strange to me.

Quote:
but you should be aware that your view is contradictory to any empirically garnered understanding of how the brain works. Hope you're ok with that.
The main thing is that I am healthy - mostly because I don't bother with any of these scientific beliefs.

Rich
gojo1978

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 07:34 am
@richrf,
Okay, let's try a different approach:

My thoughts here have been met with pretty much blanket resistance, same old same old, but as yet, nobody has actually put forth a convincing argument, as per the OP.

So, those of you that have answered so far (or others if interested, in fact), what were your actual reasons for procreating? Some previous posts have mentioned "propagation of the species", but I know that was pretty far from your minds at the time. "We must have children dear, otherwise the species will be in grave peril; there's only 7 billion of them left!" So, if anyone would oblige, let's hear your honest reasoning on the matter.
richrf

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:30 am
@gojo1978,
Camus suggested all of life may be absurd. And I believe it may be absurd unless one builds a spiritual component to life, that transcends a single physical life.

For me, birth/death is a continuing cycle of exploration and learning and procreation is nature's way of evolving, creating, and observing itself.

Rich
gojo1978

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:46 am
@richrf,
richrf;79777 wrote:
Camus suggested all of life may be absurd. And I believe it may be absurd unless one builds a spiritual component to life, that transcends a single physical life.

For me, birth/death is a continuing cycle of exploration and learning and procreation is nature's way of evolving, creating, and observing itself.

Rich

That is, if you like, nature's reason.

What I'm interested in is, what is your reason? The thinking, conscious person's reason, not THE reason.
richrf

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:08 am
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;79780 wrote:
That is, if you like, nature's reason.

What I'm interested in is, what is your reason? The thinking, conscious person's reason, not THE reason.

Life is not only about thinking. An equal part is about feeling. Something creates an urge to procreate. I do not feel like I have to think it through. The feeling is enough. As time goes on, things unfold, and I become more aware of what within me may be behind these feelings. This increase awareness comes from a process that Jung called individualization, and may not happen until one is in the second half of one's life. No amount of thinking will help resolve the conflicts, though one certainly may think about these things in preparation for increased understanding through awareness.

I think one of the issues facing philosophers is the preeminence placed on thinking -especially since thinking changes as one gains experience in life. Feeling, creativity, and gaining awareness are also factors in understanding life. But from a pedagogical point of view, it is easier to teach logic and syllogisms to students than it is to teach feeling and creativity, thus the emphasis on reasoning over feeling.

Spirituality is a feeling that comes over time, as life progresses. The Hindus believe as Jung did, that the first half of life is preparation for the understanding that comes in the second half of life.

Rich
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:24 am
@richrf,
richrf;79181 wrote:
The main thing is that I am healthy - mostly because I don't bother with any of these scientific beliefs.
So would you say that 100% of people who "don't bother with any of these scientific beliefs" are as healthy as you are? It so happens that I met someone who professed the same yesterday when I admitted him to the hospital with unstable angina.
richrf

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:28 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;79785 wrote:
So would you say that 100% of people who "don't bother with any of these scientific beliefs" are as healthy as you are? It so happens that I met someone who professed the same yesterday when I admitted him to the hospital with unstable angina.

I am not sure what this has to do with the topic, but there are many variables in health and each person has to figure it out for themselves. I know lots of people who over exercise, or who stress out too much over vitamins (they spend more money on vitamin pills instead of just good fresh food) and this too can lead to poor health. I have observed that those who have followed a moderate path to good health are quite healthy, but in life one never knows.

Rich
gojo1978

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:25 am
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;79760 wrote:
Okay, let's try a different approach:

My thoughts here have been met with pretty much blanket resistance, same old same old, but as yet, nobody has actually put forth a convincing argument, as per the OP.

So, those of you that have answered so far (or others if interested, in fact), what were your actual reasons for procreating? Some previous posts have mentioned "propagation of the species", but I know that was pretty far from your minds at the time. "We must have children dear, otherwise the species will be in grave peril; there's only 7 billion of them left!" So, if anyone would oblige, let's hear your honest reasoning on the matter.

Just to get the above quote back to the most recent post.

Would any parents care to disclose their reasoning behind their procreation?
richrf

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:45 am
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;79798 wrote:
Just to get the above quote back to the most recent post.

Would any parents care to disclose their reasoning behind their procreation?

Because we felt it was time.

Rich
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:15 am
@richrf,
Reason for #1: because condoms were too time consuming during a really hot throw down.

Reason for #2: because we could afford it and didn't want to raise an only child.
gojo1978

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:47 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;79810 wrote:
Reason for #1: because condoms were too time consuming during a really hot throw down.

Reason for #2: because we could afford it and didn't want to raise an only child.

#1: Selfish. The very definition thereof, in fact.

#2: Not bad, not bad, I appreciate the logic and thoughtfulness of the only child bit, but necessitated by a previous act of selfishness.
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:49 am
@gojo1978,
Its only relatively selfish, especially if we are of a Multiply and Replenish the Earth faith. Then it would be selfish that we only have two.
gojo1978

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 12:22 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;79821 wrote:
Its only relatively selfish, especially if we are of a Multiply and Replenish the Earth faith. Then it would be selfish that we only have two.

If, if, if.

If your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle.

Besides, human multiplication doesn't replenish the Earth at all, does it? What it does is create more of an already over-stocked species which is rapaciously consuming the Earth's resources in a manner which is putting in grave danger both themselves and all other species.

The above notwithstanding, if you were of such a "faith", that doesn't negate any selfishness inherent in the act of procreation. All it does is indicate either an unwillingness of lack of ability to take responsibility for serious decision making, which, sadly, is a classic indicator of most "faiths".