Procreation: Reasons for?

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 06:29 pm
Can anyone proffer any non-selfish reasons for bringing a child into the world?

It seems to me that anyone who does so has not really thought it through, or if they have, and still have a child, they have acted selfishly. A person who does not exist feels no pain of any sort, and does not know that they do not exist. Therefore, as well as feeling no pain, nor are they roaming around the realm of non-existence, pining to exist. They are in blissful oblivion, so they are not being deprived of anything; they are not being shown any of the good things in life and not allowed them.

There is a seemingly innate presumption (or is it societal?) that it is desirable to have been born, but this seems to be highly questionable at best. It is surely not in a hypothetical person's best interests to be born, as they will have to face many unpleasant things, have misfortune befall them, in the majority of cases spend pretty much their whole life trapped as essentially a slave, and, in all cases die.

A person who does not exist cannot be deprived of good things, but they can be spared pain and misfortune by their theoretical parents not calling them into existence.

It seems to me that most people have children for purely selfish reasons. Can anyone suggest a solid argument to the contrary?

P.S. I have no control over who responds to this, but I personally would not welcome any religious types of response; I'm looking for solid, independent thinkers and thoughts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,123 • Replies: 94
No top replies

Leviathen249

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 06:56 pm
@gojo1978,
So you think that life is nothing but pain and/or misery and hardships? Everyone struggles, but people still find happiness and love, so you have to have both sides of the coin.
Now, I don't think that it selfish to want to bring about a conscious being to have him/her experience the joys and pains in life because both are natural human feelings.
0 Replies

William

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 07:42 pm
@gojo1978,
Sorry, posted too soon. Give me bit.
William

---------- Post added 07-20-2009 at 09:19 PM ----------

Hello gojo. I can't help but laugh as I visualize a "non-existent" child running like hell in an attempt to escape after hearing "your next"! Sorry, I couldn't resist, forgive me for making light of it. Let me give some thought to what you are saying. It is a bit out there considering we have no clue of what "non-existence" is.

Thanks,
William
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 11:02 pm
@William,
First: Its all cool if you don't want this to be a religious debate, go easy on the religious people are not independent solid thinkers. Some of the most articulate well thought and spoken people on this site are very religious in varying religions, sects, and denominations.

Second: to answer the OP. A person who isn't can feel neither pain or pleasure. A person who is, in order to understand pain has to have felt pleasure. This reasoning has no bearing on selfishness of bringing a person into being. One might say we are doing the ultimate act of unselfishness by having children, it is the propagation of the species. One might also say we are doing the ultimate selfish act in procreation, making sure our genetic material gets passed on no matter the ethical consequences to a child.

To make an argument that life is pain and it would be better not even to be brought into it presupposes the necessity of some sort of existence outside this life. It must have a comparison of some sort. If life is pain and someone is alive they feel pain pain pain. So blink I exist, I feel pain blink. There is no real comparative value to judge life being worthwhile. It just is then isn't. If one is then isn't value judgments on selfishness are also moot because whatever children you bring into the world, are then aren't. Existence is not anyone's fault or caused by anyone. Parents in such a scenario do not cause their children to exist, they just come into existence through a functional system that is not under the control of parents, and therefore value judgments cannot be passed upon them.

If there is some existence outside of this life, however, judgment values can be assigned. Am I as a parent bringing a person into existence whose will it is not to be here? I one is then is then is again, or in other words if someone is in several states of being there is comparative value to the various states of being. If one is happy in one state then taking that entity out of that state against its will and placing it in another, is selfish.
0 Replies

Holiday20310401

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 11:59 pm
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;78507 wrote:
Can anyone proffer any non-selfish reasons for bringing a child into the world?

Gojo,

The intending and acting upon to have a baby is hardly selfish. Selfish is not really the right word. A lot of pregnancies are accidents, though I wouldn't call those cases selfish either. It is not like (in most cases I'm sure) their intentions are based upon the desire to take anything away from their newborn once alive.

Are you saying that existence and non-existence have relative values that we can even relate to one another? I doubt it, especially viewed from the perspective of a hypothetical non-existent entity. How can such a non-existent entity even interpret for that matter; could it interpret value and context in general?

Also, which is better? Pain or non-existence; heaven or hell (irrespectively)? (Don't mean to get religious)

Existence is a fight. Would one rather climb the mountain or stay at the bottom?
gojo1978

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 04:31 am
@Holiday20310401,
GoshisDead;78534 wrote:
First: Its all cool if you don't want this to be a religious debate, go easy on the religious people are not independent solid thinkers. Some of the most articulate well thought and spoken people on this site are very religious in varying religions, sects, and denominations.

What I meant by that is I don't want to be quoted lines from the bible telling me that god says, "yakkety yakkety yak". I want original responses from people's own considerations.

GoshisDead;78534 wrote:
Second: to answer the OP. A person who isn't can feel neither pain or pleasure.

To make an argument that life is pain and it would be better not even to be brought into it presupposes the necessity of some sort of existence outside this life.

It must have a comparison of some sort.

Does it? I do not see how this is so. My whole point is that I personally believe that never existing at all is a better option than existing.

Must it? Why? If so, simply compare it with being a non-entity.

GoshisDead;78534 wrote:
Existence is not anyone's fault or caused by anyone. Parents in such a scenario do not cause their children to exist, they just come into existence through a functional system that is not under the control of parents, and therefore value judgments cannot be passed upon them.

Now this is just plain wrong.

Parents do not cause their children to exist?

They "just come into existence?"

It's not under the control of parents?

Hmmm. Contraceptives?

It is COMPLETELY under the control of parents, should they choose to exercise responsibility. If they choose not to, they cause their children to exist. Fact.

They "just come into existence?" :perplexed: You mean like by stork?

GoshisDead;78534 wrote:
If there is some existence outside of this life, however, judgment values can be assigned. Am I as a parent bringing a person into existence whose will it is not to be here? I one is then is then is again, or in other words if someone is in several states of being there is comparative value to the various states of being. If one is happy in one state then taking that entity out of that state against its will and placing it in another, is selfish.

I take your point about removing a person from one happy state and putting them into an unhappy state, but I don't think that is the sole means of measurement. You do not know if you are, in effect, doing that by procreating, so why not err on the side of caution and not cause the child to exist, just to be on the safe side?

Look at it like an equation of sorts: on one side you have the pleasure, the good things in life; on the other, the pain, hurt, and drudgery. Now, foregoing any wild assertions that anyone's life is more full of wonder and pleasure than drudgery (working, etc.), lets take a scenario where the equation is more or less equal on both sides. Even in that case, I would say it is still better not to have existed. The (as yet) non-existent person can be spared the pain and hurt - we spare them it by not causing them to exist - but they cannot be deprived of the joy and happiness, as they would need to exist in order to experience those sensations

Holiday20310401;78543 wrote:
Also, which is better? Pain or non-existence?

Non-existence, surely? That's a no-brainer!

If you were contactable in the ether, pre-birth (I know, you can't be, but for the purposes of debate, roll with it), and it was laid out for you, "Right, you can be born, and experience constant pain, or you can stay where you are, in oblivion, and not exist", are you saying you'd choose pain? No, you wouldn't, therefore, in answer to that question, non-existence is better.

Holiday20310401;78543 wrote:
Existence is a fight. Would one rather climb the mountain or stay at the bottom?

Yes! Existence IS a fight! And, frankly, sod that! Be born to spend 80 years fighting? NO NO NO!!!

The mountain analogy, by the way, presupposes existence. Staying at the bottom is an option for someone who exists. To not exist is to be unaware of the mountain.

What I'm trying to get at is that I feel that most breeders just think about what THEY want; they don't spare a thought for the person-to-be. If they did, they would take a look at the world and think, "Would I want to be born into this?" Instead, it seems to me that babies/children have become the ultimate consumer good, the latest and greatest 'must have' accessory. With the word "selfish" in the OP, I was thinking of the continual exclamations of things like, "I want a baby", etc., etc. People are breeding for their own 'good'.

I don't believe a case can be made to prove that procreation is EVER in the interest of the unborn child. They can come to no harm where they currently are.
Caroline

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:04 am
@gojo1978,
Why bring a child into the world? For life, life is a beautiful gift.
gojo1978

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:07 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;78568 wrote:
Why bring a child into the world? For life, life is a beautiful gift.

On paper, perhaps I'd agree. But with the world as it is, I'd say it is more of a curse.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:21 am
@gojo1978,
Yes I used to think that, I wouldn't want to bring a child into this world, I'd be constantly worried if anything happened to him/her. I thought I couldn't handle the stress of being so anxious all the time but since then I've found that I do have a certain amount of control over that situation, in that I can teach the child to be wise.
I've since come to the conclusion that my fear is not a good enough reason to not have one, or rather the good far out weighs the bad and if i did have one I feel secure that although bad things do happen, nothing bad enough will happen to the point of breakdown. I will have a certain amount of fear but that is only natural and I know as a mother and protector that the child would be well looked after and any danger would have to get through me first, im pretty comfortable with that but there will always be that element of fear and I would hope that would subside as time went on. I suppose it's good to have some fear because I know young people who are raring to have babies but I know they have no idea about how vulnerable children really are and that you do have to be vigilant so it's good to have some fear as long as it doesnt affect the childs life.
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 10:40 am
@Caroline,
Quote:
Now this is just plain wrong.

Parents do not cause their children to exist?

They "just come into existence?"

It's not under the control of parents?

Hmmm. Contraceptives?

It is COMPLETELY under the control of parents, should they choose to exercise responsibility. If they choose not to, they cause their children to exist. Fact.

They "just come into existence?" :perplexed: You mean like by stork?

You aren't getting my meaning. If existence is a state that has no pre-existence and no post existence, then the act of bringing one into existence would make one God. So barring that everyone capable of bringing a child into existence is a God then there is a functional system of causal ex-nihlio existence creation of which the parents who themselves were created have no real causal control. This would leave the actual creation of existence to the laws of the universe and any specific birth control measures would be circumvented by that existence being created somewhere/somewhen anyway.
William

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 10:46 am
@gojo1978,
Hello gojo, as to your OP:

What you are saying is accurate to the extent of our not considering the environment of the realm we bring a "new being" into existence in. From your point of view, what ever that is, you have reason to assume as you do. I can't help but recall Quasimodo's lament to the Gargoyle statue as he is tormented over the death of his love, Esmeralda, as he proclaims his loss, "Why was I not made of stone....Like thee". (1939 film adaptation of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.)

Often when someone asks me "How are you doing?" as a alternate form of hello, I reply, "well, I'm still on this side of the grass" followed by a smile, in which I immediately follow up by saying, "I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing?", also followed up with a smile.

Having said that, I can relate to your thread and ask "What purpose? What's the use?" Yes, procreation for many is a very selfish act with little regard to the seriousness of the act itself and it's "divine" purpose. Your synicism is well merited and just, in my opinion. What is on the other side of the grass?

In your vision of "non-existence" in that it must be better "than this" to me illustrates your frustration and disgust. I, too, am disgusted with the low regard many have for the lives of others, especially the plight of the child. How so very sad as they are deemed just an object to fill a need or a lump of meat that can be disposed of if we choose prior to it's first breath of air. It can be conceived "they are indeed the 'lucky ones' " as they are spared the torment of this life and the pain of that existence. In the grand scheme of things I feel some truth can be found there but at what price if we have such little regard for life itself and those who do manage to "live"; what will become of them as being nothing more than a "result" of that selfish act that brought them into this world? What a conundrum?

To be made of stone would enable us to cast aside those beautiful emotions we have as we then are not required to "feel" in order to survive, as in our desire to quantify life, it can be said, we lose all quality of it. Yes, gojo there is wisdom in the words you speak. Perhaps we are entering the gates of hell, if not already there and it is that, that will awaken us to our "selfishness ignorance".

I hope your bitterness doesn't turn on you and you find that in yourself, is a glimmer of optimism that you can share with another. Believe it or not, there are those out there who have little joy in their life, but what little the do have, they are more than willing to share it with another. Never give up on tomorrow for no one knows what it will bring. It truly is a mystery.

gojo, I have no idea of what life as brought your way, but there are lessens to be learned and the first lessen is what we see in others is a reflection of what we are putting out. It's like a boomerang. When you observe someone without a smile, muster one up of your own and freely give it to them. It will amaze you what that alone will bring. Give it a shot. What have you got to lose? Oh, and by the way, take your television set and put it away until someone fixes it. It is seriously diseased. That goes for anyone reading these words. IMO.

William
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 10:57 am
@William,
William for all the times I don't agree with you, that was a beuatiful post. Thanks
0 Replies

gojo1978

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 11:03 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;78620 wrote:
You aren't getting my meaning. If existence is a state that has no pre-existence and no post existence, then the act of bringing one into existence would make one God. So barring that everyone capable of bringing a child into existence is a God then there is a functional system of causal ex-nihlio existence creation of which the parents who themselves were created have no real causal control. This would leave the actual creation of existence to the laws of the universe and any specific birth control measures would be circumvented by that existence being created somewhere/somewhen anyway.

Hmmm. I'm not sure I'm getting you still. To clarify, is what you're saying in the above post that if I, for instance, had not been created by my parents, I would have popped up elsewhere, perhaps created by, for instance, your parents? That's what I'm getting from your post. I'm hoping this is not the case, as it would represent a rejection of science and a descent into the mystical/religious bent which I was hoping to avoid. You, I, and everyone else are one-offs (apart from maybe identical twins - FREAKS! Laughing), created by sperm meeting egg, not hypothetical beings who actually exist in the realm of "pre-existence", waiting for their turn to burst into life as we know it.

Had our respective parents not created us, we would never have been created.
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 11:25 am
@gojo1978,
you would'nt have been born somewhere else, as in the universal system of creation you don't matter. Creation will happen regardless. The laws of the universe can scarcely be thwarted by a rubber.
0 Replies

gojo1978

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 12:13 pm
@William,
William;78621 wrote:
Hello gojo, as to your OP:

What you are saying is accurate to the extent of our not considering the environment of the realm we bring a "new being" into existence in. From your point of view, what ever that is, you have reason to assume as you do. I can't help but recall Quasimodo's lament to the Gargoyle statue as he is tormented over the death of his love, Esmeralda, as he proclaims his loss, "Why was I not made of stone....Like thee". (1939 film adaptation of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.)

In your vision of "non-existence" in that it must be better "than this" to me illustrates your frustration and disgust. I, too, am disgusted with the low regard many have for the lives of others, especially the plight of the child. How so very sad as they are deemed just an object to fill a need or a lump of meat that can be disposed of if we choose prior to it's first breath of air. It can be conceived "they are indeed the 'lucky ones' " as they are spared the torment of this life and the pain of that existence. In the grand scheme of things I feel some truth can be found there but at what price if we have such little regard for life itself and those who do manage to "live"; what will become of them as being nothing more than a "result" of that selfish act that brought them into this world? What a conundrum?

To be made of stone would enable us to cast aside those beautiful emotions we have as we then are not required to "feel" in order to survive, as in our desire to quantify life, it can be said, we lose all quality of it. Yes, gojo there is wisdom in the words you speak. Perhaps we are entering the gates of hell, if not already there and it is that, that will awaken us to our "selfishness ignorance".

I hope your bitterness doesn't turn on you and you find that in yourself is a glimmer of optimism that you can share with another. Believe it or not, there are those out there who have little joy in their life, but what little the do have, they are more than willing to share it with another. Never give up on tomorrow for no one knows what it will bring. It truly is a mystery.

gojo, I have no idea of what life as brought your way, but there are lessens to be learned and the first lessen is what we see in others is a reflection of what we are putting out. It's like a boomerang. When you observe someone without a smile, muster one up of your own and freely give it to them. It will amaze you what that alone will bring. Give it a shot. What have you got to lose? Oh, and by the way, take your television set and put it away until someone fixes it. It is seriously diseased. That goes for anyone reading these words. IMO.

William

I do have a partner, don't let the undertone of my posts force you into assuming that I'm some psychotic loner who's incapable of pulling women. Au contraire! I've been happily attached for several years. Indeed, it is the missus who has pushed me towards philosophy in view of my outlook on life.

Also, don't assume that I'm one of these nincompoops that believes everything they read or see on TV, I am not. No, my disgust is not derived from the news, Iraq, recession, etc. (although it is disgustworthy), it is derived instead from the more typical philosophical issue of freedom. The primary reason, among others, is that in the way in which the world is currently organised, unless you are rich, your life is not your own. Born, school, work, die. None of which is asked for or desired. Why bother?

---------- Post added 07-21-2009 at 07:18 PM ----------

GoshisDead;78631 wrote:
you would'nt have been born somewhere else, as in the universal system of creation you don't matter. Creation will happen regardless.

The laws of the universe can scarcely be thwarted by a rubber.

No, but the creation of a sentient, conscious human being can. Easily. And isn't that the point of this thread?

Creation will happen, and that's fine. I argue that as conscious, thinking, rational beings, we have developed the ability to prevent it happening in the case of our (hypothetical) offspring, and, as such, should think about the ramifications for those offspring, and decide against creating them in hte first place.
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 01:06 pm
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;78564 wrote:

Non-existence, surely? That's a no-brainer!

If it's a no-brainer then you need to examine life more. The matter of life and death is certainly something many people have found great use in thinking about.

The matter of existence vs. non-existence is incalculable.

gojo1978;78564 wrote:
If you were contactable in the ether, pre-birth (I know, you can't be, but for the purposes of debate, roll with it), and it was laid out for you, "Right, you can be born, and experience constant pain, or you can stay where you are, in oblivion, and not exist", are you saying you'd choose pain? No, you wouldn't, therefore, in answer to that question, non-existence is better.

Alright, I'll roll with your hypothetical scenario. Yes, life is filled with pain, but I'd like to extend that and say life is filled with symmetry. And 'hypothetically' (just to indulge your tastes), I'd look at life as the opportunity to experience this symmetry, why in fact, I'd take life as the opportunity for experience in general.

Where there is pain, there is pleasure. Perhaps if I were given the 'specs' of 'life' in my 'state'? of non-existence, I'd be equally as curious to find out what pain was as much as what pleasure was? From the fervor of a rationalistic viewpoint such that would be moreso the case in hypothetical non-existence, would pain and pleasure not be seen equally? And would it not be so, at the end of one's life, to speak of it as such a grand masterpiece when only having had experienced both the pleasures and pains of life?

And ofcourse I must ask, is this selfish?

And let me tell you, when a couple is in love, and intending upon having a child, they are probably hoping for their child to experience what they are experiencing right then and there.

gojo1978;78564 wrote:
Yes! Existence IS a fight! And, frankly, sod that! Be born to spend 80 years fighting? NO NO NO!!!

Well if you want to fight other people, then yes, such a waste.

gojo1978;78564 wrote:
The mountain analogy, by the way, presupposes existence. Staying at the bottom is an option for someone who exists. To not exist is to be unaware of the mountain.

What you are saying here is impertinent.

gojo1978;78564 wrote:
What I'm trying to get at is that I feel that most breeders just think about what THEY want; they don't spare a thought for the person-to-be. If they did, they would take a look at the world and think, "Would I want to be born into this?"

It is so inefficient to try and guess how one's child will grow up before having been born and raised yet. Personally, if we want to bring empathy; a concern for the state of one's child, well, in western society, I'd argue there is less empathy, and yet, a decline in birth rate. Now then again, the conditions of countries with a high birth rate are much different; there is rape, very little protection, less formalities, etc... relatively speaking. And that wouldn't speak for all nations of course.

gojo1978;78564 wrote:
Instead, it seems to me that babies/children have become the ultimate consumer good, the latest and greatest 'must have' accessory. With the word "selfish" in the OP, I was thinking of the continual exclamations of things like, "I want a baby", etc., etc. People are breeding for their own 'good'.

WWII ended years ago man. I look at families, and I don't really see selfishness in the parents more than in the children. Today, especially in Canada, "I want a baby" is not an 'abundant' desire.

gojo1978;78564 wrote:
I don't believe a case can be made to prove that procreation is EVER in the interest of the unborn child.

Of course not, because then we'd need to get religious and assume an ontological entity that can claim an interest in the decision of whether he/she ought to be born or not.
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 01:44 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Quote:
No, but the creation of a sentient, conscious human being can. Easily. And isn't that the point of this thread?

Creation will happen, and that's fine. I argue that as conscious, thinking, rational beings, we have developed the ability to prevent it happening in the case of our (hypothetical) offspring, and, as such, should think about the ramifications for those offspring, and decide against creating them in hte first place.

The issue here is the attempt to argue fatalism and agency at the same time. If this life is fatalistically bad then it is predetermined to be bad, and everything about it and by extention everything in the universe necessaraly must be viewed as fatalistic as well. One action being caused by a previous by a previous to an ultimate cause. Ultimately if life is necessarily bad we necessarily have no agency, and agency of contraceptives is no exception. A person will have used it or not depending on the causation leading to the choice that isn't a choice. The science of sperm meets egg has no bearing here.

Agency requires a non-causal cause, to truely have agency one must have a choice that is not limited by anything nor directed by anything. Thus an agent can choose, and people do under the most dire of circumstances, choose to be happy. Granted not all do, but the choice is there as well as the opportunity. This would make existence a wonderful place to be and bringing a life into it an unselfish act.

So which are you arguing, fatalism or agency? It really can't be both.
William

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 04:16 pm
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;78643 wrote:
I do have a partner, don't let the undertone of my posts force you into assuming that I'm some psychotic loner who's incapable of pulling women. Au contraire! I've been happily attached for several years. Indeed, it is the missus who has pushed me towards philosophy in view of my outlook on life.

Also, don't assume that I'm one of these nincompoops that believes everything they read or see on TV, I am not. No, my disgust is not derived from the news, Iraq, recession, etc. (although it is disgustworthy), it is derived instead from the more typical philosophical issue of freedom. The primary reason, among others, is that in the way in which the world is currently organised, unless you are rich, your life is not your own. Born, school, work, die. None of which is asked for or desired. Why bother?

Then please, I beg your pardon, for I have no idea of what you are communicating. I truly don't. Sorry. Perhaps someone else can more appropriately offer the answers you are seeking. Psychotic loner? nincompoop? A bit defensive, maybe? Hmmm?

William
0 Replies

gojo1978

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 04:36 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;78662 wrote:
To make an argument that life is pain and it would be better not even to be brought into it presupposes the necessity of some sort of existence outside this life. It must have a comparison of some sort.

GoshisDead;78662 wrote:
If this life is fatalistically bad then it is predetermined to be bad, and everything about it and by extension everything in the universe necessarily must be viewed as fatalistic as well.

What???

Where do you get this stuff? The above statements seem, to me, to be both emphatic and utterly unfounded at the same time.

I think you are really over-complicating this.

If it "must have a comparison of some sort", we, as presently existing beings, simply compare the relative flaws and merits of existing with those of not existing. Simple as that. We are deciding on behalf of our (as yet) non-existent offspring. An "existence outside this life" would only be required if we were talking about the offspring themselves deciding. We are not, however.

I am not taking this down the road of fate, etc. I'm not the one suggesting it is "fatalistically bad". Indeed, I am not interested in whether it is fated to be bad or not; I am concerned with simple pragmatism, i.e. is this worth it? Is life, as it currently is for the overwhelming majority of people, really that worth living?

GoshisDead;78662 wrote:
One action being caused by a previous by a previous to an ultimate cause. Ultimately if life is necessarily bad we necessarily have no agency, and agency of contraceptives is no exception. A person will have used it or not depending on the causation leading to the choice that isn't a choice. The science of sperm meets egg has no bearing here.

Again, over-complicated. This is like Sartre, circa Being & Nothingness, but arguing the opposite.

The science of sperm meets egg has full bearing here. We, as (presumably) thinking, rational beings, can render a decision on the issue of 'Is life really so wonderful that I feel I must bestow it on others?' and the dependant follow-up question, 'Is having kids selfish?'

We can then, should we choose to, use this capacity to govern whether or not we choose to bring a child into the world.

---------- Post added 07-21-2009 at 11:42 PM ----------

William;78685 wrote:
Psychotic loner? nincompoop? A bit defensive, maybe? Hmmm?

Come on.

That's a cheap shot and it's beneath you.

At least, it should be.
William

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:00 pm
@gojo1978,
Gojo,
I didn't use those words, sir; you did. I just don't understand how you would think I would imply such? The reason for the question marks after each. If you don't mind, let's just say we don't understand each other, how's that? Perhaps we will, one day.:surrender:

William