Can it be proven that God is a Coward?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:30 am
@NeitherExtreme,
Pusyphus wrote:

Either one exists or it doesn't. Either way, the situation is the same. If there is a god, the fair assumption is that this god is indeed aware, and turns a blind eye toward corruption. If a god exists, then the case has been made that it is a cowardly god. No amount of chastising can change that. Why blame the people?

Cowardly is an adjective typically applied to animals: God is not an animal; why characterize God with animal labels? At best you might argue that such labels are personifications. That sounds more appropriate than suggesting that a transcendent God can be accurately described with animal labels. The same is true with the descriptor "aware". "Turns a blind eye" is an expression typically reserved for human animals, and so the same difficulty exists with using the expression to describe God.

I see no trouble characterizing God as "cowardly" in a moment of anger and despair, the any literal application ignores the very nature of God - at least within most traditions.

Pusyphus wrote:
If people are to blame, it is for believing in such a pathetic fairy-tale as opposed to embracing reality. The scenario, in which a cowardly god runs away from taking action against corruption, is supported by evidence all over the world. What kind of action should god take? Don't ask me! I am not a god.

Even if we make the stretch of calling scripture "fairy tales", pathetic is certainly not the term to use. No matter if you believe in God or not; many scriptures from around the globe are recognized as literary classics.

To the point: your argument about corruption and God is a restatement of the problem of evil. The problem is fundamentally flawed because it assumes that God has agency in the same way man has agency. As God is not human, that God has agency in the same way as man is not the case.
And that's only one problem with the argument. As hinted at above, the language used is problematic. According to most religious traditions, language is not God. Language points toward God. To confuse the language of God with God is idolatry, something scripture often warns about. Fundamentalism (or literalism), which is the idolatry of taking the language of God for God, is a relatively modern development caused by the reaction of some believers to condescending arguments from early scientific-driven atheists.

Ironically, the result of the campaign against faith was a sect of faithful who declared their own war on science. The result: two camps under constant siege. Militants from either side, the militant atheist and militant fundamentalist, only exacerbate the problem.
William

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:12 am
@Pusyphus,
Pusyphus wrote:
Well, I appreciate your input William. I'm not really trying to accomplish much, beyond initiating a meaningful exchange here. I don't mean to offend anyone directly, and I wasn't aware that you guys already had it all figured out. I've assumed that there are a number of bright minds here, and that the ones who believe in a higher power would supply the bulk of the feedback.

But, I've already heard these responses before, and I'm not very impressed. In fact the only one who has actually addressed my sound argument, as it stands, is NeitherExtreme. He or she suggested that this hypothetical god could be characterized by something else, such as "indifference, curiosity, sadistic pleasure, or maybe something more noble...". Unfortunately, most of those are not great examples of critical thinking, except for the last one. I'm waiting for a sign of rational thought or deductive reasoning to support that, though, in place of assumptions.

This is a serious topic and, depending on the truth, could be the most important consideration in each of our lives. I know it's tough to avoid taking personally the criticism of something so dear. The point is that it could very well be a scandal, and a grave one at that. To deflect careful consideration over something so poignant is an irresponsible approach to life itself, IMHO. It's clear that most people don't give this issue the time of day, much less the concern that it deserves. I expected a bit more here, to be honest.

Again, what is it you are trying to accomplish? Using this post as an example, you have totally ignored anything I have to say and then continue on with your rhetoric as you have done with every other poster who has genuinely offered their input. Good luck in finding any critical thought as long as your discourse is strictly one way. Oh, and by the way when you do have a chance to play pool with God, find out what the weight of his cue is and if he play's "ball in hand". Now that's critical thinking? Hmmm?

William
Solace

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 07:26 am
@Solace,
Pusyphus wrote:
You make some interesting points. But, we're talking about whether or not this god has shown enough to be trusted. I mean, even if the f#@ker spent every single day with us, walking around or playing pool, would that be enough to trust him as an honest deity. Would that be enough to conclude the we are all going to heaven if we just do as he says? The answer is NO. Even that situation would demand an almost undue amount of faith. So, for some schmuck of a deity to throw a bunch of books out there for us to read is simply assinine. Or don't you agree?

Actually I absolutely agree with you. (I know, I'm shocked too.) Here is the heart of the matter,

Pusyphus wrote:

Would that be enough to conclude the we are all going to heaven if we just do as he says? The answer is NO.

If I thought, even for a moment, that I have to do something in order to get to Heaven then I'd come to the same conclusion as you, God is an a-hole. But if God exists, and if what Christ said is true, that God is our father, then I know that I don't have to earn my place in Heaven. How do I know this? Because I am also a father, and I know that if I had a paradise ready for my children to enter, I would not tell them that they could only enter if they do what I say. So am I to conclude that God is a crueller and more demanding father than I am? I don't think so. So I don't pay any heed whatsoever to people that tell me that I have to do anything to get to Heaven.
Pusyphus

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 11:03 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Cowardly is an adjective typically applied to animals: God is not an animal; why characterize God with animal labels? At best you might argue that such labels are personifications. That sounds more appropriate than suggesting that a transcendent God can be accurately described with animal labels.

What makes you think that god is not an animal?

This is not a rhetorical question. Seriously, is there anything out there that indicates this, whether it be scripture, art, science? If so, I would like to know about it.

William wrote:
Again, what is it you are trying to accomplish? Using this post as an example, you have totally ignored anything I have to say and then continue on with your rhetoric as you have done with every other poster who has genuinely offered their input. Good luck in finding any critical thought as long as your discourse is strictly one way. Oh, and by the way when you do have a chance to play pool with God, find out what the weight of his cue is and if he play's "ball in hand". Now that's critical thinking? Hmmm?

William

William, assume there is a finite god, for christ sake. This isn't Whack-a-Mole. This is Life. And, assuming there is a god, there is also no evidence of it. Why?
[INDENT]1. There could be a greater power that calls itself a god to trick everyone into subservience (i.e. slavery).

2. There could be a true god that is also a coward.

3. It could all be a lie, in which case, you would be forfeiting your single chance for a true life.
[/INDENT]In no case here, would observance of a god (let alone worship) be in order. And in all cases, your calling would be an obvious one.

(I had philosophers pegged a little differently. It seems like everything has to be spelled out.)

Solace wrote:
Actually I absolutely agree with you. (I know, I'm shocked too.) Here is the heart of the matter,

If I thought, even for a moment, that I have to do something in order to get to Heaven then I'd come to the same conclusion as you, God is an a-hole. But if God exists, and if what Christ said is true, that God is our father, then I know that I don't have to earn my place in Heaven. How do I know this? Because I am also a father, and I know that if I had a paradise ready for my children to enter, I would not tell them that they could only enter if they do what I say. So am I to conclude that God is a crueller and more demanding father than I am? I don't think so. So I don't pay any heed whatsoever to people that tell me that I have to do anything to get to Heaven.

Solace, I sincerely respect your creative perspective on this. To me, it makes more sense than the world of information out there. And it's clear to me why people devise their own truths.

As you know, the fundamentalists would say that there is only one true way to heaven (at least for americans) and that is thru jesus christ. What do you say to that?
0 Replies

Solace

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:08 pm
@Solace,
Pusyphus wrote:
Solace, I sincerely respect your creative perspective on this. To me, it makes more sense than the world of information out there. And it's clear to me why people devise their own truths.

As you know, the fundamentalists would say that there is only one true way to heaven (at least for americans) and that is thru jesus christ. What do you say to that?

I would say to them, "Sure, you're right. So let Christ do the work and I'll reap the reward. He came to save me after all, not to tell me how to save myself."
0 Replies

William

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 03:55 pm
@William,
Pusyphus wrote:
William, assume there is a finite god, for christ sake. This isn't Whack-a-Mole. This is Life. And, assuming there is a god, there is also no evidence of it. Why?
[INDENT]1. There could be a greater power that calls itself a god to trick everyone into subservience (i.e. slavery).

2. There could be a true god that is also a coward.

3. It could all be a lie, in which case, you would be forfeiting your single chance for a true life.
[/INDENT]In no case here, would observance of a god (let alone worship) be in order. And in all cases, your calling would be an obvious one.

(I had philosophers pegged a little differently. It seems like everything has to be spelled out.)

Thanks, for spelling it out for me. Really.

William, assume there is a finite god, for christ sake. This isn't Whack-a-Mole. This is Life. And, assuming there is a god, there is also no evidence of it. Why? Because understanding God doesn't come all the easy. Considering the universe is arguably 14 billion years old and we, human beings have been around, say arguably 5,000 years. Just taking that alone into consideration, we can easily conclude there is a lot we "don't" know or understand. But you are right, we have the freedom to assume anything we want to.

1. There could be a greater power that calls itself a god to trick everyone into subservience (i.e. slavery). Absolute human folly to assume such of a God. Man does such things as he has done with some religions to enslave man. To assume it is the malicious work of a God is grasping at straws to protect the ego and "it's" assumed omnipotence.

2. There could be a true god that is also a coward. Then of course "it" wouldn't be a God, would it? An omnipotent "entity" would be understanding. What could it possible be afraid of?

3. It could all be a lie, in which case, you would be forfeiting your single chance for a true life. True life? You call our existence truth? (See list) You've got to be kidding. Some like to molest children. It is their truth. It is their life. Is this what you are talking about? For it to be a lie would mean a malicious intent and there is, at least as far as I am concerned, nothing in the universe that is malicious other than what has come about due to man's "mis-interpretations" of what he envisions God to be and the consequences of his false assumptions.
In no case here, would observance of a god (let alone worship) be in order. And in all cases, your calling would be an obvious one. Here we totally agree. There is no evidence that states God's demand to be "worshiped", only what man has established in that he, man, likes being worshiped so he created a god of the same ilk. Check out your diamonds, gold, automobiles, clothes and all the trappings that illustrate this very point. We are creations of perfection, but to understand what perfection is, we must learn first what imperfection is. We can't be ordered around. Not in our nature so we must learn the hard way as we experience the errors of our decisions. Man can't command man, neither does God. Man is the culprit here and it is his greed for life that blinds him to the truth.

Nothing like spelling it out. It makes communication a lot simpler. Thanks for spelling it out for me. I could participate in many more threads if others would just "spell it out" for dummy's like me. I do love simplicity. I am getting better though.
Thanks,
William
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:24 pm
@William,
Pusyphus wrote:
What makes you think that god is not an animal?

This is not a rhetorical question. Seriously, is there anything out there that indicates this, whether it be scripture, art, science? If so, I would like to know about it.

First: if you are going to apply animal descriptors of God, the burden of proof rests on you to show that God is an animal: or, at the very least, that if God exists, God is necessarily an animal.

To answer your question: there is reason to believe that God is manifest in animals and everything else, but no reason to think that God is an animal; this is due to the way in which God seems to be experienced by human beings, and the record can be checked against scripture and spiritual teachings known to history.

I mean: when was the last time a group of people held a faith tradition in which some particular goat was thought to be God, and, when the goat died, the people proclaimed that "God is dead"?
Pusyphus

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 02:31 am
@William,
William wrote:
Thanks, for spelling it out for me. Really.

William, I have no need to patronize you or anyone else. You sound like you care to help, and I could use a little rational feedback. But, I'm not likely to gain much from anyone who speaks more from the heart than from the mind. Believe me, I have a big heart. I just can't get past the deficiency in god's approach. So, please bear with me...

William, assume there is a finite god, for christ sake. This isn't Whack-a-Mole. This is Life. And, assuming there is a god, there is also no evidence of it. Why? Because understanding God doesn't come all the easy. ASSUMPTION Considering the universe is arguably 14 billion years old and we, human beings have been around, say arguably 5,000 years. Just taking that alone into consideration, we can easily conclude there is a lot we "don't" know or understand. FALSE But you are right, we have the freedom to assume anything we want to.

TRUE...and thats what usually messes things up for us. We can assume or imagine all sorts of scenarios for god and his intent. Let's call it a stalemate. What we do have is evidence...evidence of things that do lead to particular conclusions. No, they don't necessarily give us all the answers we'd like, and they're not as glamorous as the things we can pretend. But they give plenty...enough to put things in true perspective.

1. There could be a greater power that calls itself a god to trick everyone into subservience (i.e. slavery). Absolute human folly to assume such of a God. It's not an assumption. It's a strict possiblility. Man does such things as he has done with some religions to enslave man. To assume it is the malicious work of a God is grasping at straws to protect the ego and "it's" assumed omnipotence. That's certainly not my intent. Sure it's possible that crimes against humanity are the work of humans. But it's not very likely, and I will explain why at an appropriate time. It is also a possibility that god is indeed malicious. And, from an investigative standpoint, that possibility cannot be ruled out just because it doesn't feel good. "When you eliminate the impossible, whatever is left, however improbable, must be the solution." (quoted loosely of Arthur Conan Doyle, I think).

2. There could be a true god that is also a coward. Then of course "it" wouldn't be a God, would it? Depends on what a god is. An omnipotent "entity" would be understanding. What could it possible be afraid of? Again, there is no veritable showing of omnipotence (and I don't believe it is stated in the bible). What could a god be afraid of? death? justice? a more powerful god? failure? there's more...

3. It could all be a lie, in which case, you would be forfeiting your single chance for a true life. True life? You call our existence truth? Not at all. Not yet, at least. (See list) what list?You've got to be kidding. Some like to molest children. It is their truth. It is their life. Is this what you are talking about? For it to be a lie would mean a malicious intent and there is, at least as far as I am concerned, nothing in the universe that is malicious other than what has come about due to man's "mis-interpretations" of what he envisions God to be and the consequences of his false assumptions. I'm referring to crimes against humanity, such as genocide, racism, and eugenics. And, if you feel you need to speak for god so that god can be better understood, doesn't that help to characterize god for yourself?

In no case here, would observance of a god (let alone worship) be in order. And in all cases, your calling would be an obvious one. Here we totally agree. There is no evidence that states God's demand to be "worshiped", only what man has established in that he, man, likes being worshiped so he created a god of the same ilk. Check out your diamonds, gold, automobiles, clothes and all the trappings that illustrate this very point. We are creations of perfection, but to understand what perfection is, we must learn first what imperfection is. We can't be ordered around. Not in our nature so we must learn the hard way as we experience the errors of our decisions. Man can't command man, neither does God. Man is the culprit here and it is his greed for life that blinds him to the truth. If one could not appreciate life to its fullest, how could one be expected to appreciate heaven?

Nothing like spelling it out. It makes communication a lot simpler. Thanks for spelling it out for me. I could participate in many more threads if others would just "spell it out" for dummy's like me. I do love simplicity. I am getting better though.

Thanks,
William

I don't think you're a dummy, William. I ask that you appease me just some by siding with logic, so that I can get to the root of my dilemma.

Thank you.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
First: if you are going to apply animal descriptors of God, the burden of proof rests on you to show that God is an animal: or, at the very least, that if God exists, God is necessarily an animal.

To answer your question: there is reason to believe that God is manifest in animals and everything else, but no reason to think that God is an animal; this is due to the way in which God seems to be experienced by human beings, and the record can be checked against scripture and spiritual teachings known to history.

I mean: when was the last time a group of people held a faith tradition in which some particular goat was thought to be God, and, when the goat died, the people proclaimed that "God is dead"?

I don't agree that it's my burden to prove, but I will play along. To the contrary, the bible specifically states that the lord created us in their image. We are animals. Thus, by identity, so is the lord.

But, this is in re to an assumption you made that god could not act in a way that would be familiar to us (not in so many words)...big, big assumption.
0 Replies

William

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 06:32 am
@Didymos Thomas,

Pusyphus,
Considering the universe is arguably 14 billion years old and we, human beings have been around, say arguably 5,000 years. Just taking that alone into consideration, we can easily conclude there is a lot we "don't" know or understand. FALSE

FALSE? Please elaborate.

Next....
TRUE...and thats what usually messes things up for us.(1). We can assume or imagine all sorts of scenarios for god and his intent. Let's call it a stalemate.(2). What we do have is evidence...evidence of things that do lead to particular conclusions. No, they don't necessarily give us all the answers we'd like, and they're not as glamorous as the things we can pretend.(3). But they give plenty...enough to put things in true perspective.

(1). That's the problem, pusyphus. We can't assume or imagine anything when it comes to God other than to know we are a part of the universe and for whatever reason are "supposed to be here". To assume there is a "superbeing", lord and master sitting on a throne with whip in his hand is man's interpretation. That's were man sits and his illusion of God is that reenforcement he needs to give reason to his own godlike vision of himself. It's one thing to control man with punishment in holding his very life in the balance, which is what is being done, but when you create a God that threatens his very soul, it carries a little more weight.

(2). What evidence? What conclusions?

(3). Whose perspective? Whose "truth"?

Next....
Sure it's possible that crimes against humanity are the work of humans. But it's not very likely, and I will explain why at an appropriate time.

I'm all ears.

It is also a possibility that god is indeed malicious. And, from an investigative standpoint, that possibility cannot be ruled out just because it doesn't feel good. "When you eliminate the impossible, whatever is left, however improbable, must be the solution." (quoted loosely of Arthur Conan Doyle, I think).

If God is malicious, then as I have stated before as to the cowardice, it wouldn't be God.
It feels good to you to blame God. That leaves you entirely free and clear of any culpability as it does other who insist on issuing God with "human" frailties. That's what we do. We point fingers. I helps us sleep at night. It's called rationalization and we are eat up with it. Of course being perfect creations we don't accept "blame" very easily. Especially those whose wealth gives them the illusion that they "own" this planet as they rule from their golden thrones.

As far as your quote, impossible doesn't exist. How can you eliminate it. The "unknown", yes. How are you going to eliminate that of which you don't know. Judging from the reality "man" has created, the greatest unknown is God. Hence the list: Waste, greed, poverty, racism, discrimination, condescension, hate, jealousy, envy, Aids, Std's, pornography, suicide, genocide, abortion, theft, murder, child abuse, religious zealotry, religious condescension, war, nuclear destruction, alcoholism, ego, slavery, etc., etc., and a one trillion dollar drug empire keeping us sane in this "man made" reality. You, like so many others, insist on believing in a "separation" of man and God. That is precisely what has got your head so turned around as you look to God to "fix" up what we &*%$ up. God, will fix it up, but it will be through us that he works His miracles. We are His physical manifestation, we just don't know it and that is the problem. He is the "missing link". Peace of mind is his gateway as we will then realize our divine nature as we begin communicating like we have never communicated before. Not only poverty will vanish, but all the ills that have ever plagued man will vanish.

Next....
I'm referring to crimes against humanity, such as genocide, racism, and eugenics. And, if you feel you need to speak for god so that god can be better understood, doesn't that help to characterize god for yourself?

No, I am not characterizing God, you are. I am merely using common sense and deductive reasoning to reach conclusions from the experiences, events and knowledge I have personally gone through in my life in search for the truth, not just for me but for all. Just for me would be ridiculous. My life is worthless without others included. That's what life is about. The complimentary harmony between people sans fear, worry, stress, guilt. Me, means nothing without the "we". Nothing whatsoever.

If one could not appreciate life to its fullest, how could one be expected to appreciate heaven?

Life to it fullest? (See list). This is not life, this is survival. There is a difference. And we are doing a piss poor job of doing that. As far as heaven, there is no heaven as a complete construct. Heaven is that ideal that will propel us on in our eternal existence as we reach for that perfection that never ends. That's life. We don't have a clue as to what life is, we are to preoccupied in surviving in the reality we have constructed. As long as we consider life finite, that list will get longer and longer and longer. As my signature illustrates. As long as we deem it terminal, we could care less about what the future holds. A future that, if I am correct, we will all experience. And the way we are proceeding, that my friend is not heaven by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't think you're a dummy, William. I ask that you appease me just some by siding with logic, so that I can get to the root of my dilemma.

Oh, man I am indeed trying. I have a hard time understanding what logic is. To me it is that reasoning that we hide behind that enables us to rationalize all the decisions we make as we rely on our assumed autonomy. Is it logical to assume this Earth is for sale? Is it logical to measure a man's worth by the money he has in his pocket? Is it logical rape the Earth of all it most valuable resources to make a profit with little regard to the inequity that creates? You and I are but two people, but our words mean a lot once we can speak the truth and that, all will hear. Once you realize we are all in this together, and once we can communicate without fear from a mind that is at peace, God will make his presence known. That core that drives the universe will then become harmonious with us and will use us all guiding us as we begin to understand the reason we are here. Consider our existence up until now nothing more than an indoctrination or orientation to what life is. We must learn from our mistakes. The only problem is we have learned to survive with them rather than eliminate them. We are that smart. Truth is not healing man's wounds but to eliminate that which cause the wound. In doing so, we will heal our self. That's God in motion. We are one and the same. Please remember this, if you would. God is we, but we are not He. We have a long way to go.

William
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 04:01 pm
@William,
Pusyphus wrote:
I don't agree that it's my burden to prove, but I will play along. To the contrary, the bible specifically states that the lord created us in their image. We are animals. Thus, by identity, so is the lord.

And the problem with such an argument is, again, that you are taking the language of God as literal: this is a mistake.

Pusyphus wrote:
But, this is in re to an assumption you made that god could not act in a way that would be familiar to us (not in so many words)...big, big assumption.

I did not say that God could not act in a way that is familiar to us: I'm suggesting that to say "God acts" is figurative; action is, again, the language of man and incapable of explanation God in a literal manner.

Now, would you care to address my previous arguments?
Pusyphus

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 02:03 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
And the problem with such an argument is, again, that you are taking the language of God as literal: this is a mistake.

I did not say that God could not act in a way that is familiar to us: I'm suggesting that to say "God acts" is figurative; action is, again, the language of man and incapable of explanation God in a literal manner.

Now, would you care to address my previous arguments?

Forgive me, Didymos. But, I'm not seeing much of an argument.

You reference the bible often, which I think is a good common ground for discussion. Yet, either you think it is taken too literally, or not well enough. There's no middle ground for you, and you don't seem to allow me to use the same tool for a fair arugument's sake...

If the bible says the we look like god, then we look like god. End of debate (for our purposes). It's right there on page number uno. If that should not be taken at face value, then let's toss the book. Your point is that god would not want us to know how to read the book. That's irrational.

You also seem bent on the idea that god must be something other than some old fart, sitting on a granite throne somewhere. But, unless you can produce something that shows that he is something else, then we cannot conclude that. You probably know that. So, as if it means anything, all we have is the bible, because it may be the closest thing to a piss-poor stab at communicating with humans.

I see alot of personal interpretations of god here, in these forums. I find it interesting. But let it be well-understood that not even the pope knows about god any more than I do, or you, or anyone else. God is a no-show, a wildcard, a joker, if you will. So, please don't insist that you know him any better than anyone else, either.

Now, the point to be developed here stands to be mentioned, even though it is too soon. To the average thinker, it will appear to be too simple, and possibly not worth consideration. But, that would be still another example of just how much we take for granted (or attribute to god inappropriately). Here it goes...

Even if there is a god that is accurately characterized by the bible, and even if the bible was indeed a guidebook on how to do well in life and make it to heaven successfully...we ought to reject it all outright, because it is not diligently represented. It is simply not fair enough to humans.

At this point, you may be saying "what the..." and that's because you may have glossed over the proper perspective toward a real god all along. God is a bastard, literally speaking, who expects his rational subjects to think irrationally.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 05:43 pm
@Pusyphus,
Pusyphus wrote:

You reference the bible often, which I think is a good common ground for discussion. Yet, either you think it is taken too literally, or not well enough. There's no middle ground for you, and you don't seem to allow me to use the same tool for a fair arugument's sake...

You are welcome to sight scripture at your leisure. However, you cannot expect me to ignore literal interpretations: the Bible is mythology. The text is not literal.

Pusyphus wrote:
If the bible says the we look like god, then we look like god. End of debate (for our purposes). It's right there on page number uno. If that should not be taken at face value, then let's toss the book. Your point is that god would not want us to know how to read the book. That's irrational.

No, that's not my point. This discussion will have trouble progressing if we make things up about the other's position.

My point is simple: the Bible is mythology and therefore not literal. This claim follows the vast majority of theologians, and the doctrinal commitments of most Christian churches including the Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and Anglican strains.

If we should toss out books because a literal reading of the text is inappropriate, then we need to toss out the bulk of literature. That's a mighty large literary funeral pyre you are suggesting we build.

Pusyphus wrote:
You also seem bent on the idea that god must be something other than some old fart, sitting on a granite throne somewhere. But, unless you can produce something that shows that he is something else, then we cannot conclude that. You probably know that. So, as if it means anything, all we have is the bible, because it may be the closest thing to a piss-poor stab at communicating with humans.

The Bible is an example of humans communicating with humans, not God communicating with humans. Humans wrote the book, remember?

If you think God must be an old fart, sitting on a granite throne somewhere you would need to produce something that shows he is.

Ah, you want me to show you that God is not as you describe? Well, once again, the burden of proof rests on you (as you made the assertion), but I'm game. Go read the Bible. Or you could read the writing of any theologian, or mystic. Seriously, friend, doing some research into the way God is understood is probably better than assuming believers think of God as the sort of caricature you describe.

Pusyphus wrote:
I see alot of personal interpretations of god here, in these forums. I find it interesting. But let it be well-understood that not even the pope knows about god any more than I do, or you, or anyone else. God is a no-show, a wildcard, a joker, if you will. So, please don't insist that you know him any better than anyone else, either.

How ironic: you last sentence of advice stands in contradiction to your claims about God as a "no-show", and "joker" and "wildcard". You would have to know God better than anyone in order to assert such things.

Not only does the Pope know more about God in a scholarly sense, having studied the subject for decades, but the Pope has also been a serious spiritual practitioner for decades. Yeah, he probably knows more about God than either of us, or anyone else on this forum.

Pusyphus wrote:
Even if there is a god that is accurately characterized by the bible, and even if the bible was indeed a guidebook on how to do well in life and make it to heaven successfully...we ought to reject it all outright, because it is not diligently represented. It is simply not fair enough to humans.

At this point, you may be saying "what the..." and that's because you may have glossed over the proper perspective toward a real god all along. God is a bastard, literally speaking, who expects his rational subjects to think irrationally.

Some wild assertions. Again, the irony: you said that no one knows God any better than anyone else, yet you insist that you know him well enough to make claims such as these. The "proper perspective"? Seriously? You know so much more about God than any theologian or mystic that you have the "proper perspective" which shows these people to be completely misguided? That requires a great deal of arrogance.

Oh, by the way, man is not a rational animal. We're an animal that has a slight amount of reason. Didn't you ever read Gulliver's Travels? Probably not as you'd have the book burned for it's figurative meanings.
0 Replies

Axis Austin

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 01:32 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Did you actively and vehemently pursue and petition your government officials to interfere in and stop any of the world's recent genocides, such as what occured in the former Yugoslavia, in Rwanda or Sudan? If not then, by your own reasoning, you are either corrupt, or else you too are a coward.

So, that settles that.

this made me laugh.Laughing
Pusyphus

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 02:46 pm
@Axis Austin,
Axis Austin wrote:
this made me laugh.Laughing

I know.

It'd be like...

[INDENT]Dear Congressman:

Please, help me stop genocide. Please.

Enclosed is your "Help me stop genocide" t-shirt (you look like an XXXL).

Thanks,

Pusyphus

P.S. Investigate 9-11, when you get a chance, too.
[/INDENT]

Or how about...

[INDENT]Dear Mr. Bush:

[insert comedy here]
[/INDENT]
0 Replies