Can it be proven that God is a Coward?

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 12:06 pm
The definition for coward is "one who lacks courage".

Let's do it this way:

PREMISES

1. Genocide has occured many times in human history.
2. One who observes genocide and has the power to stop it should act to stop it, or be deemed a coward or corrupt.
3. It is widely accepted that a god has ample power, and is righteous.

CONCLUSION

God must be a coward (at BEST).

So, that settles that.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,723 • Replies: 53
No top replies

Solace

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 12:58 pm
@Pusyphus,
Did you actively and vehemently pursue and petition your government officials to interfere in and stop any of the world's recent genocides, such as what occured in the former Yugoslavia, in Rwanda or Sudan? If not then, by your own reasoning, you are either corrupt, or else you too are a coward.

So, that settles that.
Theaetetus

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 02:16 pm
@Pusyphus,
In order to prove God is a coward, you would first need to prove that God even exists. Maybe the reason why God doesn't stop genocide is because of the fact that God is a construction of human beings.
Pusyphus

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 03:36 pm
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Did you actively and vehemently pursue and petition your government officials to interfere in and stop any of the world's recent genocides, such as what occured in the former Yugoslavia, in Rwanda or Sudan? If not then, by your own reasoning, you are either corrupt, or else you too are a coward.

So, that settles that.

Not a very good argument, Solace. It could be said that this god is both corrupt and cowardly. In that case, genocide could be the will of this god.

I would admit, if this god created me as well as everyone else, that I would not have the power to stop genocide by myself. So why would I go thru the same channels that this god potentially shares corruption with? That would be futile, hence pointless.

But what you are suggesting is that we all fight this corruption. And, without more information, we should all fight anything that represents this god. That, I would be in favor of.
Pusyphus

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 03:40 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
In order to prove God is a coward, you would first need to prove that God even exists. Maybe the reason why God doesn't stop genocide is because of the fact that God is a construction of human beings.

Right. No, this is going on the assumption that a god indeed exists.

Many people cannot bring themselves to believe that one exists because there isn't a whole lot of evidence of a god that's worth a flying turd.
0 Replies

Solace

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 04:30 pm
@Pusyphus,
Stop dodging the issue that you brought up. You claim that God is a coward or else corrupt because he does not stop genocide. By that very same logic, you are also corrupt or else a coward because you also do nothing to try to stop genocide. I ain't saying that God isn't corrupt or a coward. I'm just saying that you are. Don't shoot the messenger; it's your message!
Pusyphus

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 04:53 pm
@Solace,
What? If I admit that I cannot stop genocide on my own, it makes me a coward??

If a god showed himself to me and explained that genocide is good for humanity, I would quickly dismember him neck first, or die trying.

So, acknowledging that a god would have more power than me, simply because he is able to run and hide, characterizes me as a coward? How so?

Do you mean to imply that I could not know for sure that I don't have as much power? Do you mean I should fight fair? Do you mean that I should never give up the fight? What makes you think that?
William

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 05:16 pm
@Pusyphus,
Pusyphus wrote:
The definition for coward is "one who lacks courage".

Let's do it this way:

PREMISES

1. Genocide has occured many times in human history.
2. One who observes genocide and has the power to stop it should act to stop it, or be deemed a coward or corrupt.
3. It is widely accepted that a god has ample power, and is righteous.

CONCLUSION

God must be a coward (at BEST).

So, that settles that.

Pusyphus,
How about this hypothesis. Now first we must understand we are a long way from knowing all there is to know. The only ones who are affected by death are those that witness it. With the exception of those who claim to have "near death" experiences, the dead tell no tales as to what death is all about. Perhaps the "soul" or "life force" has already departed prior to the death of the body. It's gone. Outta here.

Now, I have no idea. But if it were so it would explain a lot. Not only does it depart, there may be those who have no souls who are as cold blooded as they come who would rather rule in hell than exist in heaven. When all the souls are gone...........? No heart, no tears, no smiles, no warmth, no happiness, nothing but the greed to survive at all costs, what then. I got a feeling it will have nothing to do with what heaven is all about.

God, a coward? I don't think so. But if it give's you comfort, hey man, go for it.

Thank's for the post. Your statement prompted me to reach a little deeper.

William
0 Replies

Solace

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 05:56 pm
@Pusyphus,
Pusyphus wrote:
What? If I admit that I cannot stop genocide on my own, it makes me a coward??

If a god showed himself to me and explained that genocide is good for humanity, I would quickly dismember him neck first, or die trying.

So, acknowledging that a god would have more power than me, simply because he is able to run and hide, characterizes me as a coward? How so?

Do you mean to imply that I could not know for sure that I don't have as much power? Do you mean I should fight fair? Do you mean that I should never give up the fight? What makes you think that?

Hey, the point is you didn't even try to stop the genocide. You didn't even try to help even one person who was being killed. Perhaps if you had petitioned relentlessly your politicans, started letter campaigns and organazied protest rallies, someone in your government might have decided to act, and thus saved someone's life. Maybe no one would have listened to you, but you don't know that, because you didn't even try. So, the only conclusion that I can come to, based on your logic that if someone can help prevent a genocide and doesn't then that someone is either corrupt or else a coward, is that you, sir, are either corrupt or else a coward. So which are you anyway? Either you're one or the other, or your whole post here is meaningless, so I see no reason to assume that God is either corrupt or a coward either.
0 Replies

Kolbe

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 06:56 pm
@Pusyphus,
Everyone is either a coward or an idiot, by your definition Solace. By this point I should be instantaneously chaining myself to animal-testing facilities, jumping in front of bulldozers in the amazon and kick the leader of Iran in the shins, because by your logic I can. Yet, I don't. Why? Because I have far better things to do with my time. God, on the other hand, as a hypothetical all-powerful, all-loving spaceless being outside of time does not have this excuse as he could remake the world several times over before the drop of a pin.

Your argument here is just some sort of deviation of the problem of evil Pusyphus, theodicies of which can be found mainly from Augustine and Iranaeus (sorry, I am tired so no links, you'll have to google)
William

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 07:22 pm
@Kolbe,
Kolbe wrote:
God, on the other hand, as a hypothetical all-powerful, all-loving spaceless being outside of time does not have this excuse as he could remake the world several times over before the drop of a pin.

How long do you think it takes for one of God's "pins" to drop? :perplexed:

William
0 Replies

Kolbe

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 07:33 pm
@Pusyphus,
Both eternity and an instant? I don't know, I'm no mad physicist.
Icon

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 07:53 pm
@Kolbe,
It troubles me that none of you have brought up a simple point.

This hypothetical God would not interfere. He cannot interfere.

This hypothetical God gave us free will (if you are a student of theology, then you know what this means) and told us to help ourselves. He is not going to interfere because it would mean removing the most precious gift he has given us.

If the bible is correct... God created us, gave us a world to live in, gave us rules to live by, emotions to feel, people to love, intelligence with which to seek, defends us from Satan, sends angels to watch over us in times of need.... now you want him to babysit us too. Frankly, I think your problem is that you have no appreciation for this hypothetical God.

For generations he has watched over us. I think it is about time that we learned to watch over ourselves.
0 Replies

William

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 08:35 pm
@Kolbe,
Kolbe wrote:
Both eternity and an instant? I don't know, I'm no mad physicist.

Sorry for the bit of scarcasm in my response. It was uncalled for. Let me know how you do as you build your case on the coward thing, provided you are indeed serious as to your accusation.
Thanks,
William
0 Replies

Solace

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 08:36 pm
@Kolbe,
Kolbe wrote:
Everyone is either a coward or an idiot, by your definition Solace. By this point I should be instantaneously chaining myself to animal-testing facilities, jumping in front of bulldozers in the amazon and kick the leader of Iran in the shins, because by your logic I can. Yet, I don't. Why? Because I have far better things to do with my time. God, on the other hand, as a hypothetical all-powerful, all-loving spaceless being outside of time does not have this excuse as he could remake the world several times over before the drop of a pin.

Your argument here is just some sort of deviation of the problem of evil Pusyphus, theodicies of which can be found mainly from Augustine and Iranaeus (sorry, I am tired so no links, you'll have to google)

It isn't my definition of how it is but rather it's the thread starter's definition. How can we suppose to hold God to account for the suffering in the world while we sitting around doing absolutely nothing about it? That's just us saying, "Hey God, I don't give a **** about the world's problems, but you should!" Why should God give a crap when we don't? It's our world to live in after all. If we mess it up then it's our problem, not his. Yet we expect him to solve our problems while we sit around doing nothing...
ACWaller

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:56 am
@Pusyphus,
Pusyphus wrote:
The definition for coward is "one who lacks courage"

What is your definition of courage?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 06:39 pm
@ACWaller,
God cannot be accurately described as "cowardly". No human emotions/actions/mental-states/ect. are applicable when describing God except in a figurative manner.

So that's that.
0 Replies

Justin

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 06:48 pm
@Pusyphus,
Who commits the genocide? Who created the Gods? How in God's name is God going to step in on what man is doing?... when it's man who created the God in the first place??? It's man who is the coward. It is man who commits genocide. It is man who is the murderer, raper, evil doer... not God. It is man who brings unbalance to a balanced universe. It is not something we need to look up to God for help but look deep inside of our own selves for answers.

When will man stop using God as a scapegoat and take the responsibility where the responsibility lies?
0 Replies

Kolbe

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 07:16 pm
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
It isn't my definition of how it is but rather it's the thread starter's definition. How can we suppose to hold God to account for the suffering in the world while we sitting around doing absolutely nothing about it? That's just us saying, "Hey God, I don't give a **** about the world's problems, but you should!" Why should God give a crap when we don't? It's our world to live in after all. If we mess it up then it's our problem, not his. Yet we expect him to solve our problems while we sit around doing nothing...

Yes we should act, that much I agree with. We shouldn't just rely on a god to do everything for us, however that doesn't mean he should do nothing. You seem to bypass the differences between us and god, in that we are finite beings contained within the prison of time with limited powers. Even if we were to individually do something to affect the noble causes or the greater good it would only be a pin sized dent on a medicine ball sized problem. God, on the other hand, could hypothetically turn the medicine ball into rays of sunshine and we would all dance under the happy tree. However he doesn't even seem to contribute more than the masses of pins we try to stick into it. It's not really a question of 'Why doesn't god do everything for us?' More one of 'Why doesn't god do anything for us?' I know what some would say, that 'god moves in mysterious ways', but surely if he was doing enough to make an impact then we would notice.

William wrote:
Sorry for the bit of scarcasm in my response. It was uncalled for. Let me know how you do as you build your case on the coward thing, provided you are indeed serious as to your accusation.
Thanks,
William

Don't worry about the sarcasm, William, it's all about the bright side. Still it's not really my case to argue, more of a general debate. Though I will look further! Thank you.
Solace

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 10:11 pm
@Kolbe,
Kolbe wrote:
Yes we should act, that much I agree with. We shouldn't just rely on a god to do everything for us, however that doesn't mean he should do nothing. You seem to bypass the differences between us and god, in that we are finite beings contained within the prison of time with limited powers. Even if we were to individually do something to affect the noble causes or the greater good it would only be a pin sized dent on a medicine ball sized problem. God, on the other hand, could hypothetically turn the medicine ball into rays of sunshine and we would all dance under the happy tree. However he doesn't even seem to contribute more than the masses of pins we try to stick into it. It's not really a question of 'Why doesn't god do everything for us?' More one of 'Why doesn't god do anything for us?' I know what some would say, that 'god moves in mysterious ways', but surely if he was doing enough to make an impact then we would notice.

We would notice God making an impact? Oh you mean if he caused some miracle to happen for all to see, say if he dropped a meteor with "God Rules" written on it in bold neon letters on top of the heads of the people who are causing the genocide? Ya, that sure would make an impact alright.:devilish:

So what are you suggesting God should do for us exactly? The only way he's going to stop people from doing what they want, such as killing each other, is to turn us all into mindless zombies, is it not? Or do you have some milder suggestion to him that you would like to pass along? How's about, why not just make nicer people? Yes, that's it, God. We don't want to take responsibility for ourselves, so just change people so that they're nicer.

And where does it end? If he makes people too nice to commit genocide, well, then why not whipe out killing altogether? So now, God, please make everyone too nice to kill. Next, wouldn't it be swell if you just made everyone too nice to do anything mean to each other at all? I mean, do we really need thieves or adulterers or arsonists or anyone else who wants to do something that's just not nice? So, please God, make everyone too nice to do anything bad at all.

Hhhmmm... so how long before we're all mindless zombies exactly? But hey, if that's the life that you want to live, as a mindless zombie, then all power to ya. Hope it works out for ya.:whistling:
0 Replies