Evolution by Epigenesis: Farewell to Darwinism, Neo and Otherwise

memester

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 11:40 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;111282 wrote:
No, that's not what I mean. I mean a somatic cell, except in the case of mosaicism, reflects what individual X has inherited from his parents. So you can do cross-sectional population genetics with cheek swabs or blood samples rather than collecting sperm from people.

Obvious (or it should be) is that population genetic changes are transmitted by germ-line allele frequencies, but the best way to check what population 0 can transmit in their germ lines is to look at the somatic cell gene frequency in population 0+1.
It is obvious that germ line is what MIGHT be the ONLY significant thing, and so it is what is being referred to.

I use the somatic cell as illustration of the looseness of your language. a looseness which allows the always-following Dakwinsisms to be admitted as reasonable statements.

Now check this statement you just made.

Quote:
I mean a somatic cell, except in the case of mosaicism, reflects what individual X has inherited from his parents.
and so, why or why not;

A somatic cell, due to some environmental influence on it, has a new mutation of a gene ( a new allele appears) and this event is therefore a population change.

since a somatic cell "reflects what is inherited from his parents", then that allele WAS inherited from the cell's "parents" ....?

and thus the new mutation, even though first appearing in that somatic cell, WAS a heritable thing, by definition. It cannot have come from other than parents, as somatic cell reflects what is inherited from parents.

Even if we delete "from parents", and leave "what is heritable", the problem remains.

BTW, mosaicism is excluded from exactly what in Evolution ?
Aedes

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 02:57 pm
@memester,
memester;111286 wrote:
I use the somatic cell as illustration of the looseness of your language. a looseness which allows the always-following Dakwinsisms to be admitted as reasonable statements.
You make a vocation out of hair-splitting, though, so I think your "looseness" charge is a bit ludicrous. I'm trying to have a reasonable conversation.

memester;111286 wrote:
A somatic cell, due to some environmental influence on it, has a new mutation of a gene ( a new allele appears) and this event is therefore a population change.

since a somatic cell "reflects what is inherited from his parents", then that allele WAS inherited from the cell's "parents" ....?
I'll go along with this wild tangent as soon as you demonstrate to me the population-based frequency with which you identify a given novel mutation in somatic cell samples from one generation to the next.

It happens. It's also very rare at a population level, so most genetic innovations (like this or that new point mutation or translocation or whatever) will disappear into background variability when you do population genetic studies.

The importance of mentioning mosaicism, by the way, really has only to do with sampling errors, i.e. the genotype of a sample may differ from an individual's germ line genotype. But since most individual mosaicisms are probably very rare, even this kind of error would be unlikely to much affect the gene frequencies in a large population.
memester

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 03:09 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;111319 wrote:
You make a vocation out of hair-splitting, though, so I think your "looseness" charge is a bit ludicrous. I'm trying to have a reasonable conversation.
Not at all ludicrous. The loophole is where you drive the untrue statements through.

You seem genuinely unaware of how you are doing it. I've pointed out that "allele" does not equal "population", "allele change" does not equal population change, and Evolution does not equal population genetics or allele change. I'm showing the words you use are allowing your errors, and it's not at all ludicrous to show how it is occurring.

You did not answer how a mutation to a somatic cell gene is not to be considered part of population genetics, as population genetics is Evolution ( according to you ). Neither have you explained why Mosaicism ( since you brought it up) is to be ignored in Evolution

How is anything we know as pertinent fact, to be ruled out of Evolution, merely to help your definition process along with some cheats ?

Quote:

I'll go along with this wild tangent as soon as you demonstrate to me the frequency with which you identify novel mutations in an offspring's somatic cells.

It happens. It's also very rare at a population level, so most genetic innovations (like this or that new point mutation or translocation or whatever) will disappear into background variability when you do population genetic studies.

The importance of mentioning mosaicism, by the way, really has only to do with sampling errors, i.e. the genotype of a sample may differ from an individual's germ line genotype. But since most individual mosaicisms are probably very rare, even this kind of error would be unlikely to much affect the gene frequencies in a large population.
It was for YOU to show why a gene change in a somatic cell is NOT to be included in population genetics, and therefore also not allowed as part of Evolution. Claming "rarity" or poor visibility of it to you , is NO KIND OF EXCUSE to say it is not involved in Evolution.

That you want me to demonstrate techniques is totally ridiculous. Only if you DENY that somatic cells can have mutations to their genes...

are you DENYING that somatic cells can have a gene mutate ? Is that it ? No, it couldn't be the reason you want me to show something about measuring it, as you have already admitted it, and everyone knows it can happen.
0 Replies

memester

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 01:00 am
@memester,
Quote:
The important point is that you are now ad hoc excluding things unjustifiably, from being included as part of Evolution, allele change, population genetics - you've excluded Mosaicism and somatic cell mutation.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 04:26 am
@memester,
Bit of light relief...

"The Vestiges taught,
That all came from naught,
By "development", so called, "progressive;"
That insects and worms
Assume higher forms
By modification excessive
Then Darwin set forth
In a book of much worth,
The importance of "Nature's selection;"
How the struggle for life
Is a laudable strife,
And results in "specific distinction."
Let pigeons and doves
Select their own loves,
And grant them a million of ages,
Then doubtless you'll find
They've altered their kind,
And changed into prophets and sages."

From Punch Magazine, shortly after the first publication of Origin of Species (I presume 'Vestiges' is a reference to a superseded science of development of some kind...)
memester

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 12:48 am
@jeeprs,
A short excursion into the belief system of doctors in North America:

Originally, the goal of Medical intervention was based on teleological reasoning; the stated higher purpose of any or all action, was to help patients get well. Obviously that means not choosing to kill them for one's own reasons.
Quote:

Medical ethics

Main article: Medical ethics
Teleology provides a moral basis for the professional ethics of medicine. It is the intrinsic purpose of medicine to relieve suffering by healing and so the first principle of the Hippocratic oath follows - that medical practitioners should not use their skills to do harm.[9]

Abortion was impossible for a doctor to do, under his code of ethics. The value of Human life is not to be interests-labile. That "patient" had not even chosen that doctor, much less demonstrated how being chopped up or vacuumed out would benefit him.
These ideas were articulated and strengthened as code over the years, until governments brought in legislation forcing abortion on demand to be recognized as a legitimate medical intervention.

Then the medical establishment had to restate their ethical considerations so that, as mandated-by-government sometime killers, the profession was kept in a good light.

Teleological reasoning needed to be maligned, put into disrepute, as part of medical ethical reasonings.

As we can see, maximum teleology is still employed. It's really all about helping a patient get better - not about killing according to government regulation.

Originally Posted by memester
We could then go on to discuss purpose and function of prescribing and prescription, too.

Teleological response:

Quote:
To make something bad better, to keep something good good, or to keep something bad from happening.
And so, to remain self-said "helpers" of humanity, removing a life needs become "removing problematic tissue".
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 01:47 am
@memester,
Quote:
The Thomist philosopher Etienne Gilson vigorously contended in his 1971 book From Aristotle to Darwin and Back Again that Francis Bacon and others perpetrated a philosophical error when they eliminated two of Aristotle's four causes from the purview of science. They sought to explain everything in mechanistic terms, referring only to material and efficient causes and discarding formal and final causality.

Without the form, or the formal cause, it would be impossible to account for the unity and specific identity of any substance. In the human composite the form is the spiritual soul, which makes the organism a single entity and gives it its human character. Once the form is lost, the material elements decompose, and the body ceases to be human. It would be futile, therefore, to try to define human beings in terms of their bodily components alone.

Final causality is particularly important in the realm of living organisms. The organs of the animal or human body are not intelligible except in terms of their purpose or finality. The brain is not intelligible without reference to the faculty of thinking that is its purpose, nor is the eye intelligible without reference to the function of seeing

Avery Dulles, 'God and Evolution'

I also think that the 'the form' is responsible for the characteristic of entelechy, long since discredited, which enables organs to heal themselves and (perhaps) the brain to reorganise itself around injury.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 04:55 pm
@memester,
A couple of questions about 'The Descent of Man'. I am reading a book about some of the questions left open by evoutionary theory. (It is not by a religious writer.) He makes the following point.

The transition from the typical primate format - walking on knuckles and feet - to an upright stance, the change in the shape of the pelvis, and the rapid expansion of the size of the human cranium, means that it is considerably more difficult for the human female to give birth than for the great apes. The size of the cranium in relation to the pelvic opening is of particular note. This also gave rise to the requirement for the human baby to be born with a soft fontanelle, which allowed the skull to be less rigid during childbirth. And partly as a result, human children are far more helpless at birth than infant chimpanzees and gorillas, which are able to cling to their parent from the moment of birth. Human infants are totally dependent for a couple of years; no other creature has anything like this period of dependency.

Must have made for a tough start, in the wild.

The question is, regardless of the adaptive advantages that arose as a result of the large brain in the long run, during the very early stages of human evolution, it is very difficult to see how this could not have had a very large impact on survival rates. I wonder what human infant mortality was in pre-modern societies? I guess it must have been pretty high, especially compared to our non-human predecessors and other animals. So this 'threshhold state' of the early human must have been very precarious indeed.
prothero

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 05:47 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;114486 wrote:
The question is, regardless of the adaptive advantages that arose as a result of the large brain in the long run, during the very early stages of human evolution, it is very difficult to see how this could not have had a very large impact on survival rates. I wonder what human infant mortality was in pre-modern societies? I guess it must have been pretty high, especially compared to our non-human predecessors and other animals. So this 'threshhold state' of the early human must have been very precarious indeed.

There appear to have been several different hominid strains most of whom died out. Only the homo sapiens has survived. Many of the homind strains appear to have existed at the same time and in the same places for a time. Almost all currently living humans can be traced back to a Genetic Eve and a Genetic Adams who appear to be African in origin. This was no garden of Eden romance however as genetic eve and genetic adam are separated by several thousands of years.

Evolutionary convergence towards certain useful structures: feet, eyes, hearing, is common in the evolutionary history. Such structures keep reappearing in evolutionary history. Larger brains is one of those features that crops up again and again. It is one of those recurring patterns that allows one to see a certain telos in evolution if you will.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 05:58 pm
@memester,
There might have been 20 hominid strains, I seem to recall. The idea that springs to mind is repeated attempts to evolve into the upright stance, until finally, finally, the right combination of characteristics came about. (And how are you going, by the way? Smile

The transition to an upright stance took a massive number of inter-related physiological changes. Again, one of the challenging issues is working out how inter-dependencies can occur 'one at a time', so to speak, in the absence of a 'formal cause' by which each of these incremental changes is orientated.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 06:17 pm
@memester,
Memester, when we were first year medical students we were formally taught to not think teleologically. But that is in terms of mechanisms of disease and basic human biology. Of course there is an end product of medical practice, which is the betterment of our patients' condition, but the teleos of our practice is different than the teleos of glycolysis.
jeeprs

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 06:30 pm
@memester,
From Editorial Review of 'From Aristotle to Darwin and Back Again, by Etienne Gilson:

Quote:
Scientists understandably bracket the idea (of final causality or purpose) out of their scientific thinking because they seek natural explanations and other kinds of causes. Yet many of them wrongly conclude from their selective study of the world that final causes do not exist at all and that they have no place in the rational study of life. Likewise, many erroneously assume that philosophy cannot draw upon scientific findings, in light of final causality, to better understand the world and man.
0 Replies

memester

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 01:54 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;114505 wrote:
Memester, when we were first year medical students we were formally taught to not think teleologically. But that is in terms of mechanisms of disease and basic human biology. Of course there is an end product of medical practice, which is the betterment of our patients' condition, but the teleos of our practice is different than the teleos of glycolysis.
We weren't speaking of the teleos of glycolysis.

We were speaking about Medicine and specifically of prescription, though.

Your purpose as a doctor is not to dance the Fandango, not to tie on a bandage, not to prescribe, but to help the patient get better. You may in fact do some of those things, and you may also tie your shoelaces when going to work. but that is not your purpose as a doctor.

Your purpose - in advising water intake - is for bettering health, not for advocating the pleasure of drinking.
Aedes

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 09:08 am
@memester,
memester;114588 wrote:
We weren't speaking of the teleos of glycolysis.

We were speaking about Medicine and specifically of prescription, though.

Your purpose as a doctor is not to dance the Fandango, not to tie on a bandage, not to prescribe, but to help the patient get better. You may in fact do some of those things, and you may also tie your shoelaces when going to work. but that is not your purpose as a doctor.

Your purpose - in advising water intake - is for bettering health, not for advocating the pleasure of drinking.
Sorry, it's been a while since I looked back at this thread and I mixed up the evolution discussion with the 'intent' discussion. Yes, in generic terms that is true. Betterment of health is a very broad concept, though, and it often involves weighing symptom palliation versus modifying a disease. Medical care is goal directed. But I think concepts like intentionality (including teleology) are only applicable to the conscious mind.
memester

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 04:09 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;114641 wrote:
Sorry, it's been a while since I looked back at this thread and I mixed up the evolution discussion with the 'intent' discussion. Yes, in generic terms that is true. Betterment of health is a very broad concept, though, and it often involves weighing symptom palliation versus modifying a disease. Medical care is goal directed. But I think concepts like intentionality (including teleology) are only applicable to the conscious mind.
Quote:
Medical care is goal directed.
Goal is to help the patient with their health. Let's not beat all round the bush any more. It's perfectly understandable that the thought is abhorent; that in practising Medicine, there is a purpose.
0 Replies