Night Ripper

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 02:48 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;157184 wrote:
huh? Yes, they would be partially non-overlapping claims, but,

(1) "All moral truths are relative"

is an instance of

(2) "All truths are relative"

The falsity of (2) logically entails the falsity of (1).

No it doesn't.

That's like saying that since it's false that "all cars have anti-lock brakes" therefore it's false that "all Lexus cars have anti-lock brakes". It isn't false. It's true.
Extrain

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 02:57 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;157232 wrote:
No it doesn't.

That's like saying that since it's false that "all cars have anti-lock brakes" therefore it's false that "all Lexus cars have anti-lock brakes". It isn't false. It's true.

That's right. But I took it to mean "No truths are relative" which just means it is not the case there exists an X such that, that x is relatively true--and that is precisely what the SEP argues. The notion of "relative truth" is logically inconsistent and self-refuting. The problem is that any truth which is relative is no longer objectively true--and this is false. And that's what that article shows, namely, "truth is relative" is a self undermining claim. It is has similar worries that the paradox "This sentence is false" does.

I've already discussed the claim "truth is relative" sufficiently for our purposes here. I need a counterargument if you insist on debating it. Saying you "disagree" doesn't do a damn thing. Do you have any objections to the SEP?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 03:01 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;157228 wrote:
Some properties might be what's called "relational properties" or even "emergent properties"--which is fine with me. But not all properties are relations. I just think about the property of "being human" in terms of my genetic code. Sure, the property of "being human" is defined by the structures and relationships between various proteins and the organization of their parts, so it is an emergent property from these other microstructures which give rise to it. But the definition of "being human" has necessary and sufficient conditions that make humans the way they are. A thing is either a human, or not a human--being human is a non-relational property since it doesn't depend on other non-human properties or things to be the property of being-human which it is. So my being human is not dependent on anything other than having a specific genetic code coming from my parents. But it is still a non-relational property. My parents can die, but I'd still be human. So most properties are monadic properties, not relational ones. All relations are between one or more things, and if one of those things ceases to exist, then that relation no longer holds for those things. Properties are typically intrinsic to things that have them, whereas most relations are extrinsic to things that have them.
0 Replies

Extrain

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 03:01 pm
@Extrain,
The two of you have to be the laziest philosophers I've seen yet. Can you give me objections to that article in the SEP?

---------- Post added 04-27-2010 at 03:14 PM ----------

Fil. Albuquerque;157235 wrote:

I just did...with the "being human" example. I am still human no matter what spacetime reference frame I am in. And my being human is true across all frames of reference. Being-human is a monadic, not relational, property.

Well, if it's impossible to test, then how do you know this? And on the contrary, being-human is testable, and we have found that being-human remains the same across different reference frames, no matter how slight those adjustments might be. I am still human when I am going 300 miles an hour in relation to the earth. I am still human when I am at rest in relation to the earth.

Its a bit like the change of your weight if earth would lose some mass, or even the moon, or the sun, or the galaxy...but its far more complicated...and of course there are counter effects that can render some of this null, but they all count for the actual exact state of affairs in the world, and for every particular nature...

STR just roughly says my mass, energy, and velocity change with the change in spacetime reference frames. But it doesn't say my being human changes with the change in spacetime reference frames. Of course, I may stop being human near a black-hole, however.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 03:17 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;157236 wrote:
The two of you have to be the laziest philosophers I've seen yet. Can you give me objections to that article in the SEP?
Extrain

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 03:24 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;157240 wrote:

No worries. I understand all that. I wasn't referring to you anyway.

I was referring to two others, here, who don't even bother using their brains at all, and one of whom DOES have a finished degree in philosophy...It's frustrating having to witness that phenomenon..
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 03:26 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 03:34 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;157234 wrote:
The notion of "relative truth" is logically inconsistent and self-refuting. The problem is that any truth which is relative is no longer objectively true--and this is false. And that's what that article shows, namely, "truth is relative" is a self undermining claim. It is has similar worries that the paradox "This sentence is false" does.

Again, that's only a problem with the claim that all truths are relative. Moral relativists are not saying "truth is relative". That would be self-referential because itself is a truth which would be relative. Moral relativists are simply saying "moral truth is relative" which isn't self-referential because itself isn't a moral truth.
0 Replies

Extrain

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 03:35 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;157246 wrote:

I don't have any problem with that. Things can cease having the properties that they have. Further developments of cognitive science, artificial intelligence, and nano-technology might force us to resign the category of "being human" but I don't see how that changes how we talk about things now as being either human or not human. I am human now, you are human now, and giraffs are not human now. But, of course, genetic research can create hybrid species too. So one day we might cease being human with all the developments in technology, so it can be defintion of terms dispute perhaps.....but it all depends on your metaphysical view of in what personal identity consists....and under what conditions in the physical world would the person you at time t1 no longer be the numerically identical person you at a later time t2.

---------- Post added 04-27-2010 at 03:39 PM ----------

Night Ripper;157249 wrote:
Again, that's only a problem with the claim that all truths are relative. Moral relativists are not saying "truth is relative". That would be self-referential because itself is a truth which would be relative. Moral relativists are simply saying "moral truth is relative" which isn't self-referential because itself isn't a moral truth.

Meta-Ethical Relativists say all moral judgments such as "X is wrong" are true relative to a cultural context. The SEP argues that this is an inconsistency. It is.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 03:41 pm
@Extrain,
My change as a phenomena would be do to world change but ontologically I would be the same...once I have not speak of evolution of what I am, but in a emerging manifestation of what I might conceal now...not being visible until the world around me change itself , thus bringing up this already existing potential in myself...and that was the case I was trying to bring up...
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 03:42 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;157251 wrote:
Meta-Ethical Relativists say "X is wrong" is true relative to a cultural context. The SEP argues that this is an inconsistency. It is.

You complain about me being lazy but you won't even address my argument. You're not acknowledging that "all moral truths are relative" isn't itself a moral truth. It's not self-referential like "this sentence is false". It doesn't have the same problem that "all truths are relative" has. Try again.
Extrain

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 03:50 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;157255 wrote:
My change as a phenomena would be do to world change but ontologically I would be the same...once I have not speak of evolution of what I am, but in a emerging manifestation of what I might conceal now...not being visible until the world around me change itself , thus bringing up this already existing potential in myself...and that was the case I was trying to bring up...

I understand. However, I think you're going to have a problem with the logical law of numerical identity which says everything is identical to itself. So it is self-reflexive notion, but you logic doesn't specify under what those conditions something is identical to itself. So you are going to have to specify with some metaphysical account of in what the continutity of identity (or preservation if identity) consists through changes in time--namely, why you are not your chair, and why your chair is not you. Otherwise, without the account, the entire universe is One thing. Spinoza said that. He thought the entire universe, or everything that existed, was one substance (or thing, which he called "god") and everything in it was merely a modification (or property) of it.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 03:55 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;157259 wrote:
I understand. However, I think you're going to have a problem with the logical law of numerical identity which says everything is identical to itself. So it is self-reflexive notion, but you logic doesn't specify under what those conditions something is identical to itself. So you are going to have to specify with some metaphysical account of in what the continutity of identity (or preservation if identity) consists through changes in time--namely, why you are not your chair, and why your chair is not you. Otherwise, without the account, the entire universe is One thing. Spinoza said that. He thought the entire universe, or everything that existed, was one substance (or thing, which he called "god") and everything in it was merely a modification (or property) of it.
Extrain

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 03:57 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;157257 wrote:
You complain about me being lazy but you won't even address my argument. You're not acknowledging that "all moral truths are relative" isn't itself a moral truth. It's not self-referential like "this sentence is false". It doesn't have the same problem that "all truths are relative" has. Try again.

It doesn't matter whether that statement is self-referential or not. Any claim that says "such and such kinds of truths are relative" is inconsistent. Take it up with the SEP article. The distinction between Moral claims vs. Factual claims is not the problem. The problem is claiming any such truth is relative. It is fallacy.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 03:57 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Extrain

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 04:01 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;157264 wrote:

What do you mean by sets being "phenomena"? Abstract ideas?

And I'm sure you know that for any given set there are an infinite amount of sets within sets. Is the universe one big set of infinite other sets and subsets? The infinities of sets will be astronimically huge!
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 04:03 pm
@Extrain,
Well that was an ensemble right above check...:bigsmile:
Extrain

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 04:04 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;157266 wrote:
Well that was an ensemble right above check...:bigsmile:

Smile...I'm just curious how you would go about specifying the conditions for numerical identity within this set-system model.

The problem would be that if I say "Obama is president" I would be saying everything is president. What are the conditions for set identities? Sets don't tell us much about anything at all.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 04:15 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;157267 wrote:
Smile...I'm just curious how you would go about specifying the conditions for numerical identity within this set-system model.

I have a crazy theory in that Identity comes from a "gestalt" effect from the Whole on its parts and its time independent...what a thing is closely relates to what everything is through all time frames sum...If the length of the "Machine" is, lets say 5 variables, then each of the 5 relates to that total and has a meta-object of its total possible combinations with the others...for a 10 variable Universe there would be a 100 potential of relations this being the Meta Universe...The ONE ! ...all this through time space in a historical coordinated process of logical combinations...
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 04:17 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;157263 wrote:
Any claim that says "such and such kinds of truths are relative" is inconsistent.

Why? Where is your argument? If you claim it's in the SEP then cut and paste the relevant parts.
0 Replies