Do you think the universe is infinite and eternal?

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 06:56 am
This question comes up frequently both in philosophical discussion and in the science of physics and cosmology.

As a amateur astronomer I have long mused around this question. Fred Hoyle would not accept a created universe because it clashed with his atheistic belief and brought all sorts of mystical and religious questions into the debate. It is he who mockingly made the now famous statement, "Oh! So you are telling me the whole thing started with a big bang"

The expansion of the universe was a problem for Fred , but he overcame that within the infinite universe there was nothing stopping it expanding within different colossal regions of the universe.

The big bang is the most widely accepted theory of how the universe came to be, but remember it is still a theory albeit with some very good circumstantial evidence that it might be true.

Religious people really like the big bang idea because it makes room for a divine creator

I am interested in the forum opinion as I have some ideas of my own that do not fit completely into any present accepted theory? If interest is shown in this thread I will discuss my take on the cause of the universe and more
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,914 • Replies: 42
No top replies

xris

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 11:14 am
@Alan McDougall,
We have been here often Alan, what can i bring thats new? I will restate my views. The universe by evidence came from nought but as nought is inconceivable, then what do we say even though it appears to have a defined begining...... We have no notion of previous times so when we say it started, can we make that statement, when nothing is not feasible? Its a trap of logic that has us in a spin.

This is what the BB theory has, it has limits in understanding, by logic we could assume there is more or it might just be created. By our view of this universe we may be confused about its movement, we may just be placed in a Taurus universe that is eternal but finite.
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:53 am
@xris,
xris;116653 wrote:
We have been here often Alan, what can i bring thats new? I will restate my views. The universe by evidence came from nought but as nought is inconceivable, then what do we say even though it appears to have a defined begining...... We have no notion of previous times so when we say it started, can we make that statement, when nothing is not feasible? Its a trap of logic that has us in a spin.

This is what the BB theory has, it has limits in understanding, by logic we could assume there is more or it might just be created. By our view of this universe we may be confused about its movement, we may just be placed in a Taurus universe that is eternal but finite.

Hi xris this is the kind of topic where I feel more comfortable mainly due to being an amateurs astronomer for many years.
Lets look at the idea that the universe was created from nothing!!.

Could the universe have been created in nothing? I say no, However, just for the sake of argument, let us imagine it was. If the universe was created in nothing then where was it 'put'? If somewhere 'outside' of nothing, this would require an 'outside' to pre-exist, but it could not because that would require a boundary.

It can not be ' put' within nothing, because containing a universe would no longer be within our definition of nothing.

So far then we have discovered that by using the simple definition of nothing as being an infinite void we have placed the following conditions on it:-
1) It must be timeless.
2) It must have always existed and could not have been created.
3) It is unchanging.
4) Nothing else can exist.
5) It is unable to create anything.

We have now concluded that nothing, when described as an infinite void, could never have existed because we do. There is however nothing wrong with the definition itself, the existence of nothing as an infinite void would appear to be logical, more than that, it HAS to be that way, nothing could not have any restraints of size or time placed upon it.

Badly put nothing never was and it is only a mathematical concept like the impossibility of infinity
xris

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 04:50 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan we must assume by the evidence that we have been given that nothing preceded the universe. If that evidence is valid then what is wrong with saying everything began at a certain point. I tried explaining before, if you have a mass so incredible dense, held all the universe in a singularity, then by the given laws of nature, science, it would not be visible, in fact it would not exist. Nothing and everything can exist in harmony, both are equally valid. We must then ask what caused it to appear and that balance be broken? This is the question.
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 05:18 am
@xris,
Quote:

xris;116848]Alan we must assume by the evidence that we have been given that nothing preceded the universe. If that evidence is valid then what is wrong with saying everything began at a certain point. I tried explaining before, if you have a mass so incredible dense, held all the universe in a singularity, then by the given laws of nature, science, it would not be visible, in fact it would not exist. Nothing and everything can exist in harmony, both are equally valid. We must then ask what caused it to appear and that balance be broken? This is the question
Xris I am taking note of what you say both in this thread and others similar ones around this topic on the forum!

Xris a primordial nothing, the absolute absence of everything could not have happened together like you stated, in my opinion

One can now think of the universe as a tiny (or huge as you like, there is nothing to compare it with) 'bubble' existing in an infinite nothing and expanding into it. This model rather conveniently does away with the need to have a moment of creation for the universe because within nothing time does not exist. Without time it would be meaningless to ask when the universe was created, "it was simply there all the time", existed in the same way as nothing, as it always has. Within the universe of course time does exist, as does everything else. With this description of nothing its existence, and that of the universe, is now possible. Or is it? :perplexed:

What does it mean to say the universe was always there? Some believe it started with the Big Bang, but can One say the Big Bang was always there? This doesn't seem logical to me, it needed to have actually come into existence at some point, even the very term 'big bang', suggests a beginning.

Let's step back a little and look at the creation of the Big Bang from the viewpoint of a 'perfect observer' in nothing!

At the moment of creation what would a 'perfect observer' see? Nothing at all! The universe is self contained, nothing at all can escape from it into our nothing, and our observer would notice no change whatsoever! :perplexed: I know but let us preserver

It may help here to visualize the Big Bang as an infinitely small event in the unimaginable vastness of an infinite void. In other words, a singularity, as indeed it is believed to have been, therefore the definition of an unchanging timeless nothing is still valid

xris there are realities in the universe that make no sense and appear to defy all human logic.

While I do not think the universe is eternal and infinite, what we call existence is and must because existence is the contents of EVERYTHING
xris

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 11:18 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;116852 wrote:
Xris a primordial nothing, the absolute absence of everything could not have happened together like you stated, in my opinion

One can now think of the universe as a tiny (or huge as you like, there is nothing to compare it with) 'bubble' existing in an infinite nothing and expanding into it. This model rather conveniently does away with the need to have a moment of creation for the universe because within nothing time does not exist. Without time it would be meaningless to ask when the universe was created, "it was simply there all the time", existed in the same way as nothing, as it always has. Within the universe of course time does exist, as does everything else. With this description of nothing its existence, and that of the universe, is now possible. Or is it? :perplexed:

What does it mean to say the universe was always there? Some believe it started with the Big Bang, but can One say the Big Bang was always there? This doesn't seem logical to me, it needed to have actually come into existence at some point, even the very term 'big bang', suggests a beginning.

Let's step back a little and look at the creation of the Big Bang from the viewpoint of a 'perfect observer' in nothing!

At the moment of creation what would a 'perfect observer' see? Nothing at all! The universe is self contained, nothing at all can escape from it into our nothing, and our observer would notice no change whatsoever! :perplexed: I know but let us preserver

It may help here to visualize the Big Bang as an infinitely small event in the unimaginable vastness of an infinite void. In other words, a singularity, as indeed it is believed to have been, therefore the definition of an unchanging timeless nothing is still valid

xris there are realities in the universe that make no sense and appear to defy all human logic.

While I do not think the universe is eternal and infinite, what we call existence is and must because existence is the contents of EVERYTHING
Alan if you read my post you should be able to see similarities with what you have said. Its not your observations but your conclusions that I disagree with.
Fido

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 11:40 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;116607 wrote:
This question comes up frequently both in philosophical discussion and in the science of physics and cosmology.

As a amateur astronomer I have long mused around this question. Fred Hoyle would not accept a created universe because it clashed with his atheistic belief and brought all sorts of mystical and religious questions into the debate. It is he who mockingly made the now famous statement, "Oh! So you are telling me the whole thing started with a big bang"

The expansion of the universe was a problem for Fred , but he overcame that within the infinite universe there was nothing stopping it expanding within different colossal regions of the universe.

The big bang is the most widely accepted theory of how the universe came to be, but remember it is still a theory albeit with some very good circumstantial evidence that it might be true.

Religious people really like the big bang idea because it makes room for a divine creator

I am interested in the forum opinion as I have some ideas of my own that do not fit completely into any present accepted theory? If interest is shown in this thread I will discuss my take on the cause of the universe and more

No; nonsense and ignorance are eternal and infinite...

There may be a saweeter way of saying this: What is in it for me IF I have the correct answer???
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 07:16 pm
@xris,
xris;116913 wrote:
Alan if you read my post you should be able to see similarities with what you have said. Its not your observations but your conclusions that I disagree with.

But xris at this stage of the thread I have not yet come to a conclusion, I am still working toward it
0 Replies

validity

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:18 am
@Alan McDougall,
Hello Alan, xris, Fido

An observation,

if

"Badly put nothing never was and it is only a mathematical concept like the impossibility of infinity"

has truth, how can the question

"Do you think the universe is infinite and eternal?"

hold meaning? On analysis of the question how can a thing (the universe) be infinite or eternal when the concept of infinite and eternal are not things in themselves? Perhaps these certain types of concepts lose there meaning after materialisation. It is synonymous with asking the question "Is the number x infinite" or "Is x hours from now eternal"

This is not necessarily my opinion, but I thought this a good place to jump in Smile
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:33 am
@validity,
validity;117188 wrote:
Hello Alan, xris, Fido

An observation,

if

"Badly put nothing never was and it is only a mathematical concept like the impossibility of infinity"

has truth, how can the question

"Do you think the universe is infinite and eternal?"

hold meaning? On analysis of the question how can a thing (the universe) be infinite or eternal when the concept of infinite and eternal are not things in themselves? Perhaps these certain types of concepts lose there meaning after materialisation. It is synonymous with asking the question "Is the number x infinite" or "Is x hours from now eternal"

This is not necessarily my opinion, but I thought this a good place to jump in Smile

Iinfinity is NOT A LARGE NUMBER be absolutely clear on this point, IT IS NOT A LARGE NUMBER, infinity simply put is "ALL THERE IS", it is NOT a number. You could keep counting (or measuring) for ever, and never reach infinity, it is only a description. Infinity describes a thing as having no end, no limit, no boundary or edge, it literally goes on FOREVER, ad infinitum. Smile
xris

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 04:26 am
@Alan McDougall,
But Alan both are impossible.You are putting our logical feelings into an impossible scene. Eternity and infinity are no more relevant than nothing or a beginning. I said to you recently, the BB we may have had a balance of both, where neither had any relevance. If your in a cell and your world is those four walls does the outside world go on for ever or is it not there ?
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 05:30 am
@xris,
xris;117211 wrote:
But Alan both are impossible.You are putting our logical feelings into an impossible scene. Eternity and infinity are no more relevant than nothing or a beginning. I said to you recently, the BB we may have had a balance of both, where neither had any relevance. If your in a cell and your world is those four walls does the outside world go on for ever or is it not there ?

I think the best THEORY we have is the "big bang" but I also believe there was something before the big bang, maybe a multy universe or mother universe. A black hole might be the seed of a new universe starting a new realm maybe even with-different fundamental constants. Our logic can deal with those kinds of possibility but not with concepts such as nothingness or infinity or eternity

As far as the Big Bang theory is concerned "is it meaningless" to look back before the Big Bang, nothing existed. Perhaps so, but it's very unsatisfactory to have a theory of the creation and evolution of the universe that does not explain where the universe, the Big Bang, actually came from, it must have come from something. Or must it?
xris

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 06:46 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;117216 wrote:
I think the best THEORY we have is the "big bang" but I also believe there was something before the big bang, maybe a multy universe or mother universe. A black hole might be the seed of a new universe starting a new realm maybe even with-different fundamental constants. Our logic can deal with those kinds of possibility but not with concepts such as nothingness or infinity or eternity

As far as the Big Bang theory is concerned "is it meaningless" to look back before the Big Bang, nothing existed. Perhaps so, but it's very unsatisfactory to have a theory of the creation and evolution of the universe that does not explain where the universe, the Big Bang, actually came from, it must have come from something. Or must it?
But thats the point Alan it does not need anything to describe a before. A before assumes something and nothing is something. Nothing is the same as everything when you consider what this singularity was. If you describe another theory it breeds equal problems of where did that come from. You eventually have to face the fact of originality.
Fido

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:18 am
@xris,
xris;117211 wrote:

As math considers infinities it shows itself a faith, rather than a science... The fact is that infinites across the board are theological and not logical...If we cannot have a certain bit of reality as an object, we cannot judge it and cannot have knowledge of it...We are forced by the nature of mankind to deal with a lot of infinites... Justice, Love, God, Time, virtue are examples of infintes... They are spiritual, or moral realities expressed with moral forms...They have no actual substance, no objective reality to them, and yet they are a part of the world we live in, our social environment... But: what is pointless speculation on limits beyond our sight to add to our knowledge of the infinites of life???...

We can know more at a glance of the infinity- justice, than we can ever know of the infinity of existence...You can get the knucklebone out of a pig, but no one can get a pig out of a knuckle bone...All we have is the knucklebone end of a rather imposing pig...If you want to build a concept out of imagination and fantasy, build it to suit yourself...But it will be a concept of no meaning...
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:42 am
@xris,
[QUOTE=xris;117224]But thats the point Alan it does not need anything to describe a before. A before assumes something and nothing is something. Nothing is the same as everything when you consider what this singularity was. If you describe another theory it breeds equal problems of where did that come from. You eventually have to face the fact of originality.[/QUOTE]

We are now left with just these two possible solutions, either God created the universe and He always existed, or the universe/universes/something has always existed. The solution requires "that something has always existed in order to avoid the problem of creating "something out of nothing".

The choice of introducing God is purely a matter of faith, for if we accept that God could have always existed then why not the universe? From a logical point of view within this model we do not need the existence of God; God is just a further complication that in turn would require to be created. If we ruthlessly apply Ockham's razor to the idea of introducing God into the model we are left with the universe always existing. . I am suggesting that the idea of introducing God into the equation is not necessary in order to make it work.

With or without God in the equation with are left with the idea of infinite regression?????

In my opinion the universe is not infinite or eternal, it had a beginning and it will end, what I do believe there was never the "" (nothingness) that there has "always been something that is everlasting lets call it existence

0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:44 am
@Alan McDougall,
What are the chances that one single fact will survive our speculation on infinite reality???
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 08:22 am
@Alan McDougall,
These issues fall into the category: Things no one Knows and likely will Never Know. They therefore fall into an area of thought to which I assign a proportional amount of significance (which is to say: None).

We know our minds have severe issues comprehending concepts such as: Something which had no beginning -or- All that exists, always has. These limitations, to me, speak more to our ability to comprehend than rational support for <this> or <that>. Knowing this, to what end might such an exercise serve? Its like asking a blind mute to tell you what he sees; problematic, in the extreme. Perhaps it speaks to the power of opinion (the value we hold in how many think like me); as if enough people think like I do then perhaps somehow my opinion is more likely.

It's good to ponder, but I think its better to recognize our limitations and the endless logic-loops we'll encounter on certain issues. I applaud the observations and thoughtful hypothesis' astronomers work so hard on, they give us the slightest glimpse of what the universe is (or what we think might be <here> or <there>). But let's take it for what it is...

... scraping only the most superficial surface-evidence of the largest, most complex and diverse system we'll ever encounter. Piece by piece we learn, yet for eons humankind wants to cut straight to the punch "where did it all come from"; to which I want to answer: Patience, young paduan - don't bite off more than you can chew, let's take it one small step at a time and resist the urge to try and turn to a "last page in the book"; the likes of which we can't now - nor may we ever - be able to read.

Thanks
xris

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 10:44 am
@Khethil,
We have very little to make a conclusion but that should not stop us from speculating and then for others to pick through our musing. It is the real purpose of this mystery, it holds all the possibilities that our mind can conceive of. It is the best detective story we could invent and every one has a valued view. It gives a glimmer of light on a creator, if you wish it to and it can also destroy your view of all known science. Its the great melting point, the most intriguing mystery we can ever encounter and it warrants our most fervent philosophical interest.

---------- Post added 01-05-2010 at 11:57 AM ----------

Alan McDougall;117242 wrote:

We are now left with just these two possible solutions, either God created the universe and He always existed, or the universe/universes/something has always existed. The solution requires "that something has always existed in order to avoid the problem of creating "something out of nothing".

The choice of introducing God is purely a matter of faith, for if we accept that God could have always existed then why not the universe? From a logical point of view within this model we do not need the existence of God; God is just a further complication that in turn would require to be created. If we ruthlessly apply Ockham's razor to the idea of introducing God into the model we are left with the universe always existing. . I am suggesting that the idea of introducing God into the equation is not necessary in order to make it work.

With or without God in the equation with are left with the idea of infinite regression?????

In my opinion the universe is not infinite or eternal, it had a beginning and it will end, what I do believe there was never the "" (nothingness) that there has "always been something that is everlasting lets call it existence

I prefer to call it engineered Alan, Im never happy with the word god. Yes it is possible but not conclusive, no more than my heaven requires gods presence. When you introduce a creator it requires you to describe him and his purpose and the wheel of debate goes on for an eternity. I dont see eternity or infinity, it obscures our view of the horizon. I dont believe either exist because it values our universe and our universe has none of these values. This universe has a concept of forever but will never attain that value so why should you go beyond what this universe imagines but can not describe. What might lie beyond is not eternity but something more or something we as time travellers can not imagine. When we cease being creatures of time then you and I will be never as far as each others close neighbours. Time is the great divider , when time ceases we will unite and we will understand our purpose.
Fido

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 11:07 am
@xris,
xris;117293 wrote:
We have very little to make a conclusion but that should not stop us from speculating and then for others to pick through our musing. It is the real purpose of this mystery, it holds all the possibilities that our mind can conceive of. It is the best detective story we could invent and every one has a valued view. It gives a glimmer of light on a creator, if you wish it to and it can also destroy your view of all known science. Its the great melting point, the most intriguing mystery we can ever encounter and it warrants our most fervent philosophical interest.

You are not advocation for philosophy, but for BS... Fantasy is not philosophy...Everywhere you look there are fruitful subjects for inquiry... What do you want to know, that you can know, the knowledge of which will aid humankind???There is something to know where ever one looks, and everyone looks where they can never know... Tell me, who was that philosopher in Greece, who was star gazing, and fell into a cistern...Even his servant girl could see the folly...First take care of all that is unsecured in your life, and then you can star gaze with as little profit as you desire...
xris

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 01:12 pm
@Fido,
Fido;117298 wrote:
You are not advocation for philosophy, but for BS... Fantasy is not philosophy...Everywhere you look there are fruitful subjects for inquiry... What do you want to know, that you can know, the knowledge of which will aid humankind???There is something to know where ever one looks, and everyone looks where they can never know... Tell me, who was that philosopher in Greece, who was star gazing, and fell into a cistern...Even his servant girl could see the folly...First take care of all that is unsecured in your life, and then you can star gaze with as little profit as you desire...
I know your attitude and opinion is coloured by a certain interest in theological certainty so dont lecture me on fantasy , your views are dictated by theological certainty, a fantasy of belief.