"Professionalization" ????????????

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:40 am
During the 1980s, I started watching Wall St Week. At that time, business predictors were talking about the switch to a service economy. My father, a blue collar man with no education and my former husband, a self thought business hot shot, were both horrified.

I am stunned by college graduates seeking --not simply settling for -- jobs managing retail stores. Huh!!! their parents have to be upset: money wasted on education so the kids can manage a GAP!

There was a time when college grads would not be hired for certain posts -- bank teller or retail management. What happened?

Went to a forum on Massachusetts issues and the key note speaker, a Harvard Prof named Scotpol (sp?) spoke of the professionalization of the work force. In human terms, I think it is the opposite, the diminution of the human spirit.

retail work has always been the enclave of those who don't go to college who did not want factory work but with manufacturing almost non-existant in this country, where does the high school graduate, supposedly the majority, go for employment?

A college grad who manages a store deprives a high school grad of a means of advancement and the exercise of authority.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,039 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:48 am
I think you're right. Retail would be my idea of a last resort. The whole professionalization struck me as a neat way for management to get a journeyman machinist, for example, that could also program his new NC or CNC machine tool - without significant change in pay rate.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:54 am
My father was a tool and die grinder and he enjoyed producing a product. Sending manufacturing overseas deprives those who enjoy creating of an outlet.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 10:26 am
I was a machinist in those wonderful days when three applications or queries would produce at least one job offer, and there was the happy assumption that a machinist was tool and diemaker, metalurigist, designer, mechanic, and welder - all rolled into one. The assumption today is that it is the guy that pushes the button to make the parts come out. Neither assumption is quite accurate.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 02:39 pm
professionalization of the work force?

Sounds like another bullshit bingo phrase to me

However I would like the idea of someone with a clue offering assistance--heck gives me hope that the baggers at the grocery might do their job right someday (I hold no hope for this however)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:59 pm
I was looking at some forms with my manager the other day - people applying for income replacement benefits - a grocery store cashier with 4 years experience earns more than a machinist with 11 years of experience.

That's the way of the world.

I can recall about 25 years ago, there was such a glut on the market of bachelor's level uni grads that they were accepting filing jobs with the Ministry of Natural Resources, just to be near the jobs they wanted. Now those filing jobs are gone. Not sure where the biology grads are going now, unless it's back to school for more degrees.
0 Replies