TranscendHumanit

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 09:30 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;150555 wrote:
Razzleg, sorry to leave you hanging like this, but I don't have the time to continue posting.

A lot of this is just learning about economics. Which you can read up on better yourself than being lectured via forum postings.
Start here:
Housing Boom and Bust - Thomas Sowell - National Review Online

Thanks a lot for the chat. Take care.

Sowell good but sometime he crazy.
EmperorNero

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 11:04 pm
@TranscendHumanit,
Razzleg,
Thomas Sowell : Upside Down Economics - Townhall.com
Also check out the book I link below.

TranscendHumanit;150840 wrote:
Sowell good but sometime he crazy.

I think he is the best. All we need to do to fix society was to have 51% of voters to read Sowell's Basic Economics, and apply it.

Btw. I like your idea that capitalism is civilization. I think another way to put it is saying that civilization was caused by the concept of private property. All societal progress was caused by the advancement of secure private property rights. Sadly authoritarian explanations sound more plausible.
Razzleg

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 04:53 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;159182 wrote:
Razzleg,
Thomas Sowell : Upside Down Economics - Townhall.com
Also check out the book I link below.

Heh, just came across your new post today in the course of a different search. Regarding Sowell's articles about the housing situation...well, honestly, his characterization of the CRA is pretty false. Not only does he sort of lay the blame on those regulations without specifying how they they operate, but he also fails to address why most economists do not believe the CRA had much of an impact on the bursting of the housing bubble. Frankly, the majority of sub-prime loans were offered by lending institutions that are in no way regulated by the act. They were in fact held by "shadow" banking institutions that are highly unregulated, at least until recently. Because he is so vague, his remarks smell more like ideological rhetoric than genuine economic analysis.

I haven't read the book you linked, but I may give it a look at some point. If the articles are any indication, however, I doubt I'll find his arguments particularly convincing.
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 01:13 pm
@hue-man,
You know, you can tell the forum to subscribe to the threads you post in.

Let's talk about bubbles in abstract, not the specifics of this particular housing boom and bust. That way we don't confuse ourselves with the passions of this debate.

You are suggesting that bubbles naturally arise in the absence of 'regulation'. How can that be? How many credit bubbles did you start this month? Why don't you? Was it because you are regulated, or because you'd go broke when it crashes?

Credit bubbles are like roulette, in the long run the odds are always against you. You can only lucky in the short run, but in the long run it's no way to make money.
Razzleg

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 01:16 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;160893 wrote:
You know, you can tell the forum to subscribe to the threads you post in.

Oh, I know, it actually took me a while to figure out how to unsubscribe.

Let's talk about bubbles in abstract, not the specifics of this particular housing boom and bust. That way we don't confuse ourselves with the passions of this debate.

We can try, but it seems to me that bubbles are exceptional events; there is no standard manner in which they develop.

You are suggesting that bubbles naturally arise in the absence of 'regulation'. How can that be? How many credit bubbles did you start this month? Why don't you? Was it because you are regulated, or because you'd go broke when it crashes?

Credit bubbles are like roulette, in the long run the odds are always against you. You can only lucky in the short run, but in the long run it's no way to make money.

I am not suggesting, nor have I ever suggested, that credit bubbles "naturally arise in the absence of 'regulation'." Credit bubbles arise in a variety of ways, as the result of a congruence of disparate events. I do think that the regulation of standards and procedure help to prevent bubbles before they begin, but whether it is government regulation or regulations within the industry at hand matters very little to me. And it is perfectly possible that an unregulated market could continue to function without generating credit bubbles, but I think it's highly unlikely. Classical economic theory requires the participants of the system to be rational, and I think it is obvious that most of us are something other than rational in a large portion of our decision making. I'm not condemning the participants, rather I think that the theory needs to be reevaluated and modified to reflect reality as it presents itself.

Edit: Also, I think that the rationality considered in classical economic theory includes an economic actor's awareness of the systemic consequences of their individual action. I'm not altogether sure that the indicators that identify a developing bubble are immediately available to one is who scanning economic data out of a sense of self-interest, either short-term or long-term.

I'm not even sure how to answer your other questions. Do you think any of the participants in the housing market thought, at least in the beginning, that they were contributing to the conditions that would lead to a credit bubble? Clearly, many, if not most, of the participants were only acting on their short-term interests. And who knows, perhaps I did contribute to the development of a new credit bubble last week. Credit bubbles arise as the cumulative result of millions of individual decisions, perhaps mine was one of them.
EmperorNero

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 02:34 am
@Razzleg,
Razzleg;163045 wrote:
We can try, but it seems to me that bubbles are exceptional events; there is no standard manner in which they develop.

Well, the real world thing is always exceptional, but as an abstract thing an economic bubble is a pretty simple construct. All we need is people bidding more for something, such as houses or Microsoft shares, than it is worth. And that artificially high value then being in danger of crashing back to more real values. Of course nobody knows what the 'real value' of an asset is. But that's what the market is for. People bid up as long as they think they will get more tomorrow than they have to pay today, at some point nobody is willing to pay yet more for something, and then the ones who currently own it lose their investment. Of course nobody wants to be the one owning an asset when it's price deflates. That's how the market takes care of bubbles. There would be small fluctuations, due to misjudgments, but no dangerous bubbles.

But when government bails out a bubble, then of course there is no risk associated with investing in one. You just build up the pyramid scheme until it bursts and then you get bailed out and build another one. This has been going on for the last 30 years, the brokers love it. If the precedent of government bailouts is set, they just have to invest in something that is important enough to be bailed out by government. These days the consideration by brokers is not "will this investment pay off", but "will government bail it out". For example the Russian bubble in 1998, the investors thought that western governments would bail out Russia because Russian nukes might fall into bad hands.

Razzleg;163045 wrote:
I am not suggesting, nor have I ever suggested, that credit bubbles "naturally arise in the absence of 'regulation'." Credit bubbles arise in a variety of ways, as the result of a congruence of disparate events. I do think that the regulation of standards and procedure help to prevent bubbles before they begin, but whether it is government regulation or regulations within the industry at hand matters very little to me. And it is perfectly possible that an unregulated market could continue to function without generating credit bubbles, but I think it's highly unlikely.

People who advocate free markets, like me, don't want unregulated markets. You know, like no regulation, anything goes, pirates and anarchy. We want a framework of laws and property rights and the state to protect those property rights, that's regulation in a sense. What we do not want is intervention, i.e. the government stepping in with it's coercive power to change the market to some outcome. Sadly that is often called 'regulation', equating everything that government does into one, whether it is safeguarding property rights or intrusive intervention. In the western world government are far to intrusive, therefore liberals often call for less intervention, small government, but we are not against regulation, for unregulated markets. There's regulation and there's intervention. The collectivists won the war of words in calling all government action 'regulation'. Thus when a financial mess like this one happens because of lack of 'regulation' (meaning government didn't do it's job of providing a free market framework), they can call for more 'regulation' (more government intervention). It's a bit like using the same word for 'beer' and 'water', you know, they say we should drink 8 glasses of 'water' a day. :drinking:

Razzleg;163045 wrote:
Classical economic theory requires the participants of the system to be rational, and I think it is obvious that most of us are something other than rational in a large portion of our decision making. I'm not condemning the participants, rather I think that the theory needs to be reevaluated and modified to reflect reality as it presents itself.

Ah, bounded rationality. No, we are not rational. But free market economics does not require people to be rational. Take above description of economic bubbles. Brokers can make all the irrational bets they want, in the absence of government intervention the irrational ones would go broke and have to leave the profession. It is only continuous government bail outs that allow them to continue. But what if they are all irrational? We might over-value assets, but they will also under-value them. There would be mild build-ups of asset bubbles, waves, that burst within a day or week, unnoticed by most of us. There is no point in betting up assets to irrational heights, everybody would be aware that it is a bad investment.
It's all about economic education, if you want to make sense of it read the book I posted earlier, or another one on the topic. I'm not saying I know it all, not to sound smug. But the best thing to do is just to read how it all works instead of guessing about it with limited knowledge on the internet.

Razzleg;163045 wrote:
Also, I think that the rationality considered in classical economic theory includes an economic actor's awareness of the systemic consequences of their individual action. I'm not altogether sure that the indicators that identify a developing bubble are immediately available to one is who scanning economic data out of a sense of self-interest, either short-term or long-term.

I'm not even sure how to answer your other questions. Do you think any of the participants in the housing market thought, at least in the beginning, that they were contributing to the conditions that would lead to a credit bubble? Clearly, many, if not most, of the participants were only acting on their short-term interests. And who knows, perhaps I did contribute to the development of a new credit bubble last week. Credit bubbles arise as the cumulative result of millions of individual decisions, perhaps mine was one of them.

Yes, bubbles, and all economic effects for that matter, are systemic, not the consequences of intentions. That's exactly why the irrational decisions of individuals make no difference to the market as a whole, market behaviors are systemic. Some people have a hard time wrapping their head around something being 'systemic', they think everything that happens has to be intended by a rational being. For example, if wages rise that can't be the systemic consequence of scarce labor bidding higher rates, it must be because of the intentions of unions. Or if women on average make less than men, it can't be because they have other priorities such as having children (not to mention access to the credit cards of their husbands), it must be because of the misogynist intentions of employers, the infamous glass ceiling.
People who are unwilling or unable to think in terms of systemic consequences are usually bad capitalists, and require government to make a living, e.g. professors, intellectuals, activists, some scientists, the unemployable.
xris

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 04:05 am
@EmperorNero,
An example of an unscrupulous capitalist...An old colleague of mine , stopped me while visiting a local museum. We exchanged niceties and he led me into a conversation about his very good luck. He had met a Russian billionaire who had loaned him money, at an extremely low interest rate because this billionaire had realised his, my ex colleague's, project was fool proof. He asked me, had I ever felt the need of large injection of investment. Of course, I replied , he then went on to explain how he could arrange a loan for any amount at very low interest. He then sprung ,or tried to, the trap. I would need to provide up to two thousand pounds to arrange independent consultants to value my project. My reaction was , pith off you thieving bar steward.

This is how we got into debt and it was through capitalist greed and an uncontrolled money market. We need regulations and they need constant scrutiny.
EmperorNero

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 04:49 am
@xris,
xris;164531 wrote:
An example of an unscrupulous capitalist...An old colleague of mine , stopped me while visiting a local museum. We exchanged niceties and he led me into a conversation about his very good luck. He had met a Russian billionaire who had loaned him money, at an extremely low interest rate because this billionaire had realised his, my ex colleague's, project was fool proof. He asked me, had I ever felt the need of large injection of investment. Of course, I replied , he then went on to explain how he could arrange a loan for any amount at very low interest. He then sprung ,or tried to, the trap. I would need to provide up to two thousand pounds to arrange independent consultants to value my project. My reaction was , pith off you thieving bar steward.

This is how we got into debt and it was through capitalist greed and an uncontrolled money market. We need regulations and they need constant scrutiny.

Hehe, hi xris, we had such a nice end last time, I don't want to get into the same old arguments again. But see my above paragraph about regulation versus intervention. Which one would this case with your college in the museum be? If the government protects your property rights, i.e. ensures contracts are upheld, how can he screw you over? Wouldn't that take care of it?

What you are saying is that in a free market people can screw over each other. But that's why government should protect property rights and contracts.
xris

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 05:23 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;164536 wrote:
Hehe, hi xris, we had such a nice end last time, I don't want to get into the same old arguments again. But see my above paragraph about regulation versus intervention. Which one would this case with your college in the museum be? If the government protects your property rights, i.e. ensures contracts are upheld, how can he screw you over? Wouldn't that take care of it?

What you are saying is that in a free market people can screw over each other. But that's why government should protect property rights and contracts.

I was trying to give you an example of why we need to control the money market from unscrupulous greedy capitalists. You just cant trust them to operate in a fair and ethical manner. These recent events caused us all to suffer, it was because we lacked enough controls, not too many. We need government involvement in the money market. I agree you cant protect every one but the economy has to be protected above all else.
EmperorNero

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 05:26 am
@xris,
xris;164543 wrote:
I was trying to give you an example of why we need to control the money market from unscrupulous greedy capitalists. You just cant trust them to operate in a fair and ethical manner. These recent events caused us all to suffer, it was because we lacked enough controls, not too many. We need government involvement in the money market. I agree you cant protect every one but the economy has to be protected above all else.

What do you mean by controls? You are being imprecise. Do you mean a legal framework of government enforced contracts and property rights? Well, that is the free market.
xris

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 05:40 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;164544 wrote:
What do you mean by controls? You are being imprecise. Do you mean a legal framework of government enforced contracts and property rights? Well, that is the free market.
Of course not , legal documents don't avoid the unscrupulous from lending money without credit controls.
EmperorNero

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 05:48 am
@xris,
xris;164548 wrote:
Of course not , legal documents don't avoid the unscrupulous from lending money without credit controls.

You are just wrong about economic facts, I can't help you in this format, you have to read up on it or remain mistaken.
xris

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 05:59 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;164552 wrote:
You are just wrong about economic facts, I can't help you in this format, you have to read up on it or remain mistaken.
You cant do that Nero....Say Im wrong without explanation...Should I say your wrong and you should read more varied and independent reading material on the economic failings of capitalism, should I?
EmperorNero

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 06:06 am
@xris,
xris;164558 wrote:
You cant do that Nero....Say Im wrong without explanation...Should I say your wrong and you should read more varied and independent reading material on the economic failings of capitalism, should I?

But I told you, saying that greed needs to be controlled makes no sense. It's like saying that gravity needs to be controlled to avoid plane crashes.

YouTube - Milton Friedman - Greed
xris

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 06:10 am
@EmperorNero,
You cant control greed, did i say that? I don't think so.

I said unscrupulous, is that what you call greed, being unscrupulous? How strange...:perplexed:

---------- Post added 05-15-2010 at 07:17 AM ----------

EmperorNero;164561 wrote:
But I told you, saying that greed needs to be controlled makes no sense. It's like saying that gravity needs to be controlled to avoid plane crashes.

YouTube - Milton Friedman - Greed
What a blinkered and narrow minded view of humanity. Do you think every one is driven by greed and his ability to exploit his neighbour. What a set up what a feeble excuse for an interview. Einstein was driven by greed , not the desire to unlock the mysteries of nature to be acknowledged by his peers. What a load of tosh...
EmperorNero

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 06:21 am
@xris,
xris;164563 wrote:
What a blinkered and narrow minded view of humanity. Do you think every one is driven by greed and his ability to exploit his neighbour. What a set up what a feeble excuse for an interview. Einstein was driven by greed , not the desire to unlock the mysteries of nature to be acknowledged by his peers. What a load of tosh...

Not exploiting, but everyone works in ones self-interest. That's why we need a free market framework to channel that into benefiting each others instead of exploiting each others; property rights and contract laws.

It's a realistic view of human nature. Your kind believes in a fluffy, nice human nature, where we can control unscrupulousness by making people nice, and then we will all just help each others and be happy. That's not how reality works, it would be nice though if it did. That's why you want to believe that it's true so much.

Ironically, it is your view of humanity that justifies evil actions for the "greater good". That's why I compare it to that of communists.
xris

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 07:04 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;164567 wrote:
Not exploiting, but everyone works in ones self-interest. That's why we need a free market framework to channel that into benefiting each others instead of exploiting each others; property rights and contract laws.

It's a realistic view of human nature. Your kind believes in a fluffy, nice human nature, where we can control unscrupulousness by making people nice, and then we will all just help each others and be happy. That's not how reality works, it would be nice though if it did. That's why you want to believe that it's true so much.

Ironically, it is your view of humanity that justifies evil actions for the "greater good". That's why I compare it to that of communists.
Nero , you are becoming incredible predictable in your replies.

I never said making rules to stop unscrupulous people would change their morals, did I? I am not that naive to believe that creating laws, changes the ethics of the potential criminal.

What evil actions am I proposing for the greater good? I think your starting to be a preacher rather than a reasoned debater.
EmperorNero

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 07:07 am
@xris,
xris;164574 wrote:
What evil actions am I proposing for the greater good?

You know, socialism, stealing from some to give to others. How do you excuse that theft? It's for the "greater good".
xris

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 07:30 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;164575 wrote:
You know, socialism, stealing from some to give to others. How do you excuse that theft? It's for the "greater good".

I'm sorry Nero I wont reply to audacious rhetoric
EmperorNero

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 07:34 am
@xris,
xris;164581 wrote:
I'm sorry Nero I wont reply to audacious rhetoric

Yeah, we should have quit at that nice ending last week. Cheers xris. Wink
0 Replies