hue-man

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 01:55 pm
@xris,
xris;106125 wrote:
Freedom is in the detail , it is an illusion your political freedom. The detail can be choice and democracy does not always favour the majority. My fathers fought for freedom so i think your advice on the value of freedom is just a bit over rated.

So in your opinion, not being able to get a less expensive water supplier is enough evidence that political freedom is an illusion? If you can't get everything you want the way you want it political freedom is worthless? Only a person living in such a free, egalitarian society has the convenience to take their freedom for granted on such a basis.
xris

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 11:11 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;106130 wrote:
So in your opinion, not being able to get a less expensive water supplier is enough evidence that political freedom is an illusion? If you can't get everything you want the way you want it political freedom is worthless? Only a person living in such a free, egalitarian society has the convenience to take their freedom for granted on such a basis.
Its an example, if you want me to continue giving examples , I can. Do you think ticking a box is the ultimate freedom we can experience?
0 Replies

re turner jr

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 11:31 am
@hue-man,
I always liked the scene from the movie 'Instinct', where A. Hopkins has C. Gooding pinned to the table. Under the thread of death C. Gooding is asked to correctly answer the question, "What have I taken from you?"
"Freedom" was one of the first attempts at the answer, but was wrong. After a little prodding from A. Hopkins the correct answer was finally reached...

"You took my perception of freedom from me."

IMHO
Equality of social/political status would be just as destructive to society as anarchy (total freedom).
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 06:15 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;106130 wrote:

Freedom does not mean 'getting whatever you want.'

The following statements use the word freedom in very difference senses.

"I am free to sell my labor to whomever I please on whatever terms I please"

versus..

"I am free to recieve drinking water, which was gathered, purified, and distributed to me at the expense of someone else, for whatever price I please." Or, in other words "A person who spends capital in the production of drinking water does not have the right to sell his water to whomever he pleases, on whatever terms he pleases."

Rights to things, to property, are not rights; they are entitlements.
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:49 am
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;105776 wrote:
Philosophically, I describe myself as an 'aesthetic nihillist' which is to say that I believe in nothing except that which I choose to believe in, for pleasure or neccessity, knowing that my belief is unfounded nonetheless. My prime maxim is that the meaning of life is living, the only reason to live is to enjoy life, not to please a God, not to conform to a morality, and not to work towards the interest of the collective. I believe that individual freedom, not only in a political sense, though obviously that is important, is the conditio sine qua non for this kind of good life, or any other for that matter.
Me too!

BrightNoon;105776 wrote:
There is nothing on earth that has caused more misery, more poverty, or indeed led to the slaughter of more innocent human beings than the desire to centralize control in the hands of the state, whether justified by the 'divine right of kings' or the 'common good.'
There's a poignant story in the old testament in which the people of Israel, governed by a judge named Samuel, desired a king. The went to Samuel and told him to give them a king. He said: no, reconsider, you're going to regret it... you're choosing slavery if you choose a king. They told him that they were under attack and only a king could access the power of their collective to defend themselves. Samuel gave in and chose a king.

I imagine it as a latent survival tactic that can be activated: the drive toward collective action which can only take place with a leader. The challenge of maintaining freedom is keep things stable. Chaos will result in tyranny, because people won't tolerate chaos... it interferes with their abiltiy to pursue happiness.

Another oddity is the point when the women of the US, outraged by what child labor was doing to their offspring, appealed to the federal government to outlaw child labor. The individual states couldn't do this, because if one state outlawed it, it would be crippling itself in terms of competition with the others. Only a central authority could do the job... outlaw it for everyone.

I see a dynamic between the desire of the people for central authority to accomplish what they can't do individually, and the agendas of those who become leaders in answer to the longing of the people. I don't rule out that a tyrant can be advantageous at times when freedom isn't the driving issue. Yes?
BrightNoon

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 09:26 pm
@Arjuna,
If individual freedom is not the primary objective, then yes, some kind of authoritarian regime may be helpful. Centralized power is definately better than freedom at waging wars and ensuring political stability. Sometimes the Roman idea of electing a dictator in times of extreme peril appeals to me. If we could do this in the U.S. we might have a chance of reversing the policies of the fascistic, oligarchic establishment. But then again, that experiment has historically tended to end very badly. Those granted extraordinary powers don't often give them up voluntarily.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 09:41 pm
@hue-man,
We don't want freedom in itself. Freedom just means a lack of obstacles in the pursuit of our desires.

We desire to walk down the street feeling relatively safe. Therefore those who injure others are caged. So freedom depends upon bondage.

Your "freedom" to breath clean air is Jim's being prohibited from smoking.

Equality of opportunity is already an impossible dream, but one that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. But equality is a dream, as no too humans are born with the same capacities. Some are more beautiful. Some more intelligent. Some more courageous. And most important perhaps, some have the immune systems to survive childhood.

Equality can only mean an equality of rights. As in the abolition of social class (lords and ladies, knights and serfs.) But capitalism creates a different sort of social hierarchy, one with more mobility. And also one that continually revolutionizes the means of production. And also a runaway machine that just might screw up this ball of muck we call home.
Camerama

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 12:53 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;108668 wrote:
We don't want freedom in itself. Freedom just means a lack of obstacles in the pursuit of our desires..

Who doesnt? I sure want freedom. I don't like obstacles. Even absolute freedom does not eliminate "all" obstacles. It eliminates unjust obstacles.

We desire to walk down the street feeling relatively safe. Therefore those who injure others are caged. So freedom depends upon bondage..

I think "Justice" "requires" bondage is more apt, as opposed to freedom depends on bondage.

Your "freedom" to breath clean air is Jim's being prohibited from smoking.

Except on private property, where freedom is applicable, exclusively, and unconditionally

Equality of opportunity is already an impossible dream, but one that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. But equality is a dream, as no too humans are born with the same capacities. Some are more beautiful. Some more intelligent. Some more courageous. And most important perhaps, some have the immune systems to survive childhood.

Equality of opportunity is an ideal, it's ambitious but theoretically possible.
Advantages are inevitable, but opportunities entitled. We are born with the "opportunity" to achieve ANY value. Some lack the means, but that can be fixed.(probably not anytime soon) Provided there are inequalities among individuals, the opportunity is there.

Equality can only mean an equality of rights. As in the abolition of social class (lords and ladies, knights and serfs.) But capitalism creates a different sort of social hierarchy, one with more mobility. And also one that continually revolutionizes the means of production. And also a runaway machine that just might screw up this ball of muck we call home.

True, an equality of rights or entitlements or opportunities. Capitalism creates the social hierarchy based on worth, based on ability, as it should be.
deepthot

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 12:09 am
@hue-man,
No one has yet rigorously defined "freedom" here. I will take it as a primitive term, and note that there are three basic kinds.

There is Freedom of Thought (Systemic freedom.) We can think as we please and no power restricts this - although attempts are made at brainwashing up via the mass media.

There is Freedom of Action (Extrinsic freedom.) We are (relatively) free to travel and to move the limbs of our body; free to move about ...within limits.

There is Freedom of Conscience (Intrinsic freedom.) To follow one's conscience, and if necessary to be a Conscientious Objector, is the highest freedom of all. When we see evil we ought to conscientiously object to it. That is what Ethics teaches me.

As you know, I believe Politics is Applied Ethics. [Political Science is (ideally) the same field as Social Ethics ...when it concerns institutions, organizations, and associations - their structure and meaning.

As Spinoz may have said: We are determined to be free !
Reconstructo

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 01:41 am
@Camerama,
Camerama;108693 wrote:
Who doesnt? I sure want freedom. I don't like obstacles. Even absolute freedom does not eliminate "all" obstacles. It eliminates unjust obstacles.

But obstacles only exist in relation to desire.

---------- Post added 12-14-2009 at 02:43 AM ----------

Camerama;108693 wrote:

Equality of opportunity is an ideal, it's ambitious but theoretically possible.
Advantages are inevitable, but opportunities entitled. We are born with the "opportunity" to achieve ANY value. Some lack the means, but that can be fixed.(probably not anytime soon) Provided there are inequalities among individuals, the opportunity is there.

That's just it, there are inequalities on the biological level. Still, I agree with the ideal of equal opportunity.

---------- Post added 12-14-2009 at 02:48 AM ----------

Camerama;108693 wrote:

Except on private property, where freedom is applicable, exclusively, and unconditionally
Capitalism creates the social hierarchy based on worth, based on ability, as it should be.

1. There are taxes, which is a limitation of the right to property.
2. These taxes are justified in many cases as a contribution to equality of opportunity.
3. I agree with the spirit and ideal of capitalism, but once capital becomes big enough to buy the government and squeeze the taxpayer out a 600 billion dollars, we are no longer dealing with capitalism. Ayn Rand had a great ethic. She hated corporate welfare. I agree with her on that. But it happens anyway. I don't know the solution, but I do know that in the real world capitalism violates its founding ideals. It's a system that demands new markets and natural resources, often generating war.
4. Our values are probably similar. I don't think the lazy should hold back the industrious and that the cowardly should hold back the brave.
0 Replies

deepthot

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 03:03 am
@hue-man,
We can have both freedom and equality of opportunity.

Freedom can mean choices. Scientists speak of "degrees of freedom" meaning: the number of choices or options. Supposedly, the more choices I actually have, the freer I am. However, this can be over-done. Too many choices to choose among can "drive a person crazy !"

For example, a remote-control with so many buttons on it that it is easy to make a mistake in selecting the one you intend. It has become a disvalue.

Do you agree?
Journeyman

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 04:07 pm
@xris,
xris;105346 wrote:
We are restricted by the needs of others freedoms.

It seems right to me that no adult can have legitimate control over another peaceful adult. (Not including exceptional situations like a person with uncontrolled schizophrenia or something.)

This principle has been stated as "non-aggression against non-aggressors" and has other formulations as well.

Isn't this what we mean by "freedom" or "liberty?" - our right to control our own actions, not have someone else be in control of us?

Whenever someone has a proposal that, in effect, puts some adults in control over others, what I want to know is what the justification is supposed to be for doing that. It seems that my body should be under the control of my brain, and yours of your brain, and so on, up to the point were someone's brain tells them to try to control someone else. Is that is what is meant by our freedom being restricted by "the needs of others' freedoms"?
Reconstructo

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 04:45 pm
@Journeyman,
Journeyman;111335 wrote:
xris;105346 wrote:
We are restricted by the needs of others freedoms.

It seems right to me that no adult can have legitimate control over another peaceful adult. (Not including exceptional situations like a person with uncontrolled schizophrenia or something.)

This principle has been stated as "non-aggression against non-aggressors" and has other formulations as well.

Isn't this what we mean by "freedom" or "liberty?" - our right to control our own actions, not have someone else be in control of us?

Whenever someone has a proposal that, in effect, puts some adults in control over others, what I want to know is what the justification is supposed to be for doing that. It seems that my body should be under the control of my brain, and yours of your brain, and so on, up to the point were someone's brain tells them to try to control someone else. Is that is what is meant by our freedom being restricted by "the needs of others' freedoms"?

You make good points. Still, the real world is quite a compromise. Just think of traffic lights, stop signs. Freedom in the political sense is always accompanied by a certain amount of bondage. Taxation is a claim on your wealth backed by the threat of prison. Electromagnetic waves from other peoples technology pass through you every moment. The air you breath is polluted by factories. The management of space is seemingly impossible without certain curbs on freedom. A person cannot carry a gun in many places. People are forced by the government to evacuate sometimes. I believe property is seized sometimes in the building of highways or airports. It's tricky. Polygamy is generally illegal. Age of consent laws, drug laws. All of these are impingement on freedom that the majority approves of. Also the definition of adult is a legal concept. We could have made it 16 or 25. It's an imposition on the young to deny them adult status. Perhaps this is justified. I'm not taking sides but mentioning the difficulties of practical freedom.
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 05:02 pm
@deepthot,
deepthot;111125 wrote:
No one has yet rigorously defined "freedom" here. I will take it as a primitive term, and note that there are three basic kinds.

There is Freedom of Thought (Systemic freedom.) We can think as we please and no power restricts this - although attempts are made at brainwashing up via the mass media.

There is Freedom of Action (Extrinsic freedom.) We are (relatively) free to travel and to move the limbs of our body; free to move about ...within limits.

There is Freedom of Conscience (Intrinsic freedom.) To follow one's conscience, and if necessary to be a Conscientious Objector, is the highest freedom of all. When we see evil we ought to conscientiously object to it. That is what Ethics teaches me.

As you know, I believe Politics is Applied Ethics. [Political Science is (ideally) the same field as Social Ethics ...when it concerns institutions, organizations, and associations - their structure and meaning.

As Spinoz may have said: We are determined to be free !

To me, freedom can be defined as follows.

1) To be protected by law from either the threat or the application of force by another individual or group*

*except the state, but only in the event that the state has found one guilty of a crime through due process of law

2) To be protected by law against loss of property to theft, vandalism, fraud, extortion, etc.

note: the only 'crimes,' referred to in #1, are those against persons or property as described above

3) To be a fully enfranchised citizen of the polity, such that one may by law participate in the functioning of the democratic government* to the same extent as every other person

*Democratic government means a government elected by and responsible to the the citizens of the polity; it does not mean democracy, i.e. the democratically elected government does not have the authority to enforce the will of the people if said will violates the individual rights of any one citizen

Freedom, to my mind, is not characterized by any particular access or right to things or certain standards of living: employment, shelter, food, etc. Freedom always means 'freedom from' not 'freedom to,' with the exception of voting and participation in government.
Reconstructo

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 05:55 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;111350 wrote:
Freedom always means 'freedom from' not 'freedom to,'

I think there's a taboo part of human nature that wants freedom from freedom. Sartre tackles this and who knows else. Happiness in slavery. It explains certain political trends...
BrightNoon

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 10:32 pm
@Reconstructo,
We've heard about long-time prisoners becoming institutionalized; i.e. they've become so accustomed to living under the control of strong authorities that they fear or positively reject freedom. Well, I believe society in general is becoming increasingly institutionalized. Without the mandates of government and the Madison Avenue Culture Industry most people wouldn't know what to do with themselves.
0 Replies

Karpowich

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 12:36 am
@deepthot,
I personally do not believe that equality is something that everyone should have, rather it's something that should be earned. I believe that freedom gives everyone the right to do something and is often confused with equality. If I'm allowed to carry a gun but my neighbor isn't then we don't have the same freedoms. If we both have the same freedoms and are both allowed to carry guns and my neighbor uses his gun to murder somebody, then I would never view him as equal to myself. Equality should be based on the morality of man, not whether he's permitted to do the same actions as you.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:56 am
@xris,
xris;105158 wrote:
In my opinion equality is impossible and freedom is an illusion. Freedom is only defined when it appears to be threatened but in fact it is never truly permitted.

Funny. I was free to eat oatmeal instead of Froot Loups this morning. But, like an idiot, I chose to eat Froot Loups. You mean I am mistaken, and that I was forced to eat Froot Loups?
"Freedom" has often been defined when it was not threatened, nor even appeared to be threatened. For instance, John Stuart Mill defined "freedom" in his great essay, "On Liberty".
xris

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 04:35 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;117198 wrote:
Funny. I was free to eat oatmeal instead of Froot Loups this morning. But, like an idiot, I chose to eat Froot Loups. You mean I am mistaken, and that I was forced to eat Froot Loups?
"Freedom" has often been defined when it was not threatened, nor even appeared to be threatened. For instance, John Stuart Mill defined "freedom" in his great essay, "On Liberty".
If you want to reduce it to the question of the choice of breakfast then be my guest. You are referring to free will not the ability to exert the rights of a citizen.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:00 am
@xris,
xris;117212 wrote:
If you want to reduce it to the question of the choice of breakfast then be my guest. You are referring to free will not the ability to exert the rights of a citizen.

Isn't it the right of the citizen to choose what he likes for breakfast. However, in this country we do have freedom of speech, the right to vote, and so on. Of course, within restrictions that do not impinge on the rights of others. All this is well-known. So you must think what I just wrote is wrong.